Buying a washing machine

junglechef

Thanks for all the informative responses, never thought there be so many. Next time anyone wants to change the subject from pizza talk just mention your considering purchasing a new washer!

I bought a 12 kg LG top loader. My GF preferred the style as she was concerned about our 1 yr old climbing into a front loader and as he takes after Dad and is quite mischievous it's could be possible. Also she was used to top loaders but we did upgrade to a one chamber for wash and spin so maybe that's all the change she could handle at one time. But to be fair since she does all the washing and that's what she wanted that's what she got. I've learnt when the missus wants the less expensive option never to argue!

As for the shopping experience at Homepro in Hangdong where I bought it I could think of even more painful forms of torture I'd prefer. After being whitewashed by my first three salesmen with misleading, false and fraudulent information I found a lovelyand helpful lady in the special orders department to help me. Between the two of us being totally frustrated by the departments heads constant reply of "no" to everything I finally found out the machine I wanted wasn't out of stock as I was told, untill I asked when it would be restocked, but that it was discontinued and the new ones where in the back. But I couldn't buy the floor model, the one I wanted and spent an hour shopping for, which was taking up the space where the new one was suppose to be displayed. A catch 22 I suspect was a convient way for the dept. manager not having to do the work of making the switch. With, at my request, the stores General Manager and, at who knows why, another five people in discussion, it was decided that I could buy the floor model (the new model was just a different color for 2000 bht more). Then when I suggested a discount since it wasn't technically new with a few scratches, no box (which was one of the original reason why I couldn't buy it until I said I didn't want one which was true but I suspecting and what happened that they'd put it in the machine's box that was replacing it) etc. it was met with another no. By after explaining how it was in the way of actually selling machines and they had no use for it the GM seemed actually interested in my explanation of win win. After lengthy discussion with the HQ in BKK, which seemed like the manager was taking full credit for this innovative business approach, I was told that they would indeed be happy to give me a discount, but not for the 500 bht as I hoped for but another 2000 bht! So I ended up getting a 12,000 bht machine for 7,500 bht. I'd like to point out my intentions weren't to get a lower price but just to pay a fair one but more so to buy the machine I wanted.

So the conclusion is my GF is happy and the people in the store are happy (and I did make a call to the customer relations and told then what a good job the SO girl did), well perhaps not the ones who did everything in thier power to get in the way of me from being able to spend money there, and I feel I got a good deal. Being very patient and polite while still not accepting things that you don't feel aren't necessary to can bring results here, though it might be a bit more time consuming than one is will to spend.

Now for the offer in my OP of a free load of wash for all useful advice you'll have to take that up with the lady of the house after she's finished with my pile of laundry that has accumulated in the past week!

One requirement or factor which is not discussed yet is the availability of sufficient water. A relative old looking Haier AWT-120LI Twin-Tub washing machine keeps on running under extreme circumstances, whereas a Samsung WA90F3 washing machine having a much modern look will simply stop functioning. Both top-loaders.

Edited by jacnl2000

One requirement or factor which is not discussed yet is the availability of sufficient water. A relative old looking Haier AWT-120LI Twin-Tub washing machine keeps on running under extreme circumstances, whereas a Samsung WA90F3 washing machine having a much modern look will simply stop functioning. Both top-loaders.

As far as I am aware all automatic washing machines have a pressure switch be they top or front loaders. The cycle will not continue until such time as that pressure switch indicates that sufficient water has been loaded. No point in agitating if there is no water in the drum. The twin tub I presume is purely manual so the makers will presume you will not continue unless there is sufficient water.

Well done JC on sticking to your guns and getting the machine that you wanted. Bloody good discount too I might add. Ive had an LG machine before albeit a front loader. Good machine... never had a problem with it.

• Like 1

As far as I am aware all automatic washing machines have a pressure switch be they top or front loaders. The cycle will not continue until such time as that pressure switch indicates that sufficient water has been loaded. No point in agitating if there is no water in the drum. The twin tub I presume is purely manual so the makers will presume you will not continue unless there is sufficient water.

More accurately: sufficient clean water ... Haier advices the following inside their manual AWT-120LI: "Do not store water in the tub for a long period. Discharge the water immediately after each using." The unconventional method of repeatedly using scented water will for example apply to a sweaty environment where clothes start to smell but did not get the chance to collect dirt too much by simply keep on changing all clothes at least once a day.

• 8 months later...

Need to buy a clothes washing machine (closest emotion I have to a washing machine) Looking at large capacity, around 10-12 kg, and wondering if anybody has any advice. Went to Siam TV and seems Iike there's a bunch and the price mainly corresponds to where they are made. Think the ones with one compartment for wash and spin looks most convient and will just line dry as before. I don't know much and don't know if there is anything I should be aware of or of there is a especially good place to purchase etc. Any useful recommendations will be rewarded with one load of free washing (delivery not included)

we bought 2 years ago a new Samsung laundry machine for our holiday home in Phetchabun. It is hardly used, maybe about 30 times. Today when we arrived we wanted to use it again. But NO. We get an errorcode, that the door is not closed, but that is ot true. We opened and closed it many times without any results. So we called the Samsung service centre, and they informed us, that somehow the software of the machine is broken. They have to send a technician to look into that, how is that possible with a rather new machine. Maybe Samsung is not so good as we all believe.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had a Samsung with one year general guarantee and 5 years on the motor. The motor went out after 4 years and nothing but trouble from Samsung. Trashed it and bought a Hitachi and have been very happy.

We have a Samsung for only 2 years and only used it maybe 30 times, because it is in our holiday house. Stopped working today. I have an LG in a condo for 10 years now, and still working great every day!!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You mention:

"Think the ones with one compartment for wash and spin looks most convenient and will just line dry as before..."

I believe you mean a twin tub.

Way too much manual handling.

Buy a good name big capacity top loader - put the clothes in - take the clothes out - one operation, including spinning to remove most of the water and you can set the machine to automatically do a full extra rinse every time.

Price difference : good quality name large capacity twin tub compared to top loader, about 2 - 3,000Baht more, and worth it.

My family have owned many big capacity LG top loaders, never ever had any problems or break downs.

Nowadays we buy everything at Niom Panich just down from Airport Plaza, OK prices, quick delivery, installation by trained staff, no hesitation to quickly take care of any problems and no bullshit.

Home Pro always worth a look for promotion prices.

let me see...I've bought 4 homes in the last five years, and sold three. So much misinformation here. Frontloaders are prone to leaking front doors. The more efficient models are very proprietary oriented....circuit boards etc.. The good top loaders can match the same water usage. In the US you look for the "HE" logo meaning high efficiency...when you use one of thse machines; you must also use HE detergent, or you will have rinsing problems, and the soap build up issues on the front loaders. Look for a high RPM spin..that will save you a lot of time, when drying on the line. The good top loaders have a locking top door just like the frontloaders. One and only one brand name is mentioned on a laundromat sign in ChiangMai; hint: it's not Samsung. That being said; there are <deleted> up import taxes here, so it is really not worth it to pay 24000 thb for a whirlpool or maytag that I could buy for 400 usd in the states. Pay about 8000, get a Samsung....Oh, and the agitator is about as outdated as the Gutenburg printing press. They now use infusers, which work just as well. Stuffing them with comfortors and pillow is the last thing you want to do. ANother common sin of lowly renters. I suppose some would throw a car seat in there if it would fit, but actually they will wash pillowcases just fine.

• Like 1

I looked at a Siemens top loader yesterday. I like the idea that the controls are NOT digital but rather mechanical. This lets me choose the cycle i want and reduces the idiotic messages that digital often brings. I much prefer the top loader as is faster, when i turn the dial to the cycle i want. 45 mins beginning to end, if i fill first with water from hose to correct level. I always use liquid detergent. Have never seen dirty clothes coming out of machine. Also machine is smaller, uses much less space in small flat. Greay water is pumped out. My current toploader is super simple, that's the way i like it. Hot water to wash clothes ? U r wasting ur money.

Unless you have a family the size of " The Waltons " then buying a washing machine can be a complete waste of money.I am a single man living alone and normally wash my clothes " twice a month " and most of the public machines seem to cost only 20 baht a wash.

wai2.gif

Why not just take it one of gerzillion laundries here at 40/50 baht a kilo and get it back pressed as well? 200 kilos for the price of a machine , and no electric, water, detergent, softener or WORK (sorry to use a 4 letter word)