Why Thais cover their heads with plastic bag instead of carrying umbrella?

upinthesky

Glad to see some Thais recycling the plastic bags rather than throwing them on the ground.

Some progressive cities in the west ( my home town of San Francisco ) have banned plastic bags.

It make kill a few trees to use paper bags, but paper is bio degradable and doesn't release toxic fumes when burned.

I's love to see plastic bags banned in Thailand,

Love the country, love the land and environment too!

Thais believe that if you get your head wet from the rain, you will get sick.

Picking up a plastic bag from the ground when it starts to rain is much easier than carrying an umbrella or rain hat.

Give em credit for recycling the plastic bags!

They are free and very easy to find..anywhere in Thailand!

• Like 2

I hate carry umbrellas - always have. Personally prefer to get wet. As to plastic bags - I have, on more than one occasion, turned them into impromptu rain coats (turn them upside down, cut head and arm holes, pull it on) - carrier bags work well for the kids and bin liners for adults (OK I haven't worn a bin liner - but put the bags on my kids this way several times when caught out here).

Agree with Willy above - Thais seem to generally think if they keep their head dry they won't get a chill!

What gets me is the people on mopeds still refuse to put on the helmet in their basket, but do stop to put on those 7-11 throw-away rain macs! Squinting with one hand over their brow whizzing through the driving rain without even slowing! Stupid is what stupid does!

• Like 2

Glad to see some Thais recycling the plastic bags rather than throwing them on the ground.

Some progressive cities in the west ( my home town of San Francisco ) have banned plastic bags.

It make kill a few trees to use paper bags, but paper is bio degradable and doesn't release toxic fumes when burned.

normal plastic bags don't release toxic fumes when burned.

(but OK, if you mix plastic bags, with various wet junk and burn it, there are toxic fumes, because everything makes toxic fumes when burned too cold and with too less oxygen....there is no technical solution for being stupid.).

Plastic bags are great.....I would make make better one, stronger one and add a tax of 10 Baht per piece on them......And if you bring back one for recycling you get 5 Baht per piece.

You need to do some research Willy.

Manufacturing paper bags uses way more energy and causes much more pollution, bag for bag, than

manufacturing plastic bags, even biodegradable ones. Not to mention the forests you are willing to

destroy. Your home town should be ashamed of itself. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Giving some serious thought to importing these though ...

New_solid_bracket_umbrella_for_cycling_b

Similar are available,but of a more sturdy build.

Have seen them in use in Phits,fitted to waves.

Very cool -- I want one smile.png Where do I find them ?

P.S. Only in shocking pink please ;)

Sorry David.

My reply got caught up in your post.

Yep every week without fail one of the Thai's I know is sick.

Before I even ask what's wrong with them I know what the answer is going to be.

"The rain made me sick"

Every time.

As of yet not one of them has been able to explain to me WHY the rain makes them sick.

Makes me laugh. :)

• Like 1

Manufacturing paper bags uses way more energy and causes much more pollution, bag for bag, than

manufacturing plastic bags, even biodegradable ones. Not to mention the forests you are willing to

Paper can be made from forest waste products or trees that grow pretty

fast to be used as pulp.

You don't need to destroy forests to make paper. You farm it, recycle it or make it from the waste products of the lumber industry.

Wood is a renewable product Need more, grow more.

Petroleum is a very limited . use it up and it's gone. They aren't making anymore oil.

I worked in the forestry industry for a few decades and have had a hand in growing hundreds of thousands of trees. Some are of usable size already.

I'm proud of my home town. One of the most beautiful and cleanest in the world With no plastic bags blowing around and very clean air to breath too.

post-147745-0-03282100-1380507531_thumb.

I think that it's great that they use plastic bags. Just think what it would be like if all of those "short" people that had bags on their heads were carrying umbrellas, all those pointed spoke ends just at "farang" eye level!

• Like 1

Yep every week without fail one of the Thai's I know is sick.

Before I even ask what's wrong with them I know what the answer is going to be.

"The rain made me sick"

Every time.

As of yet not one of them has been able to explain to me WHY the rain makes them sick.

Makes me laugh. smile.png

I used to laugh too until I did some research on this. I put it down to 'an old wives tale' like in Scotland they say that getting your feet wet will give you a cold.

The head is the most sensitive part of the body. Before it rains, the wind generated blows a lot of bacteria into the air. The rain then washes this bacteria down and if it lands on the head, there is a higher chance of it causing the person to get sick.

Paper can be made from forest waste products or trees that grow pretty

fast to be used as pulp.

You don't need to destroy forests to make paper. You farm it, recycle it or make it from the waste products of the lumber industry.

Wood is a renewable product Need more, grow more.

Petroleum is a very limited . use it up and it's gone. They aren't making anymore oil.

I worked in the forestry industry for a few decades and have had a hand in growing hundreds of thousands of trees. Some are of usable size already.

I'm proud of my home town. One of the most beautiful and cleanest in the world With no plastic bags blowing around and very clean air to breath too.

I note you conveniently ignored the energy use and pollution caused during the manufacture or paper bags Willy.

So your town is nice and clean and screw the towns where they make the paper bags then. How considerate of

San Francisco. facepalm.gifclap2.gif

Giving some serious thought to importing these though ...

New_solid_bracket_umbrella_for_cycling_b

First time I saw these (or variants of the above) I thought it was a great idea. Unfortunately, during the rainy season here the rain is normally preceded with high winds, and when the wind catches these 'protected' step-throughs, the rain and getting wet is usually the last thing on the drivers mind.............wink.png

Copied behaviour, minimal or no thought process. Afraid of being accused of being non-conformist. whistling.gif

This is a good example of asking a stupid question and getting a stupid answer.

But back on topic: Perhaps the OP can answer this question: Why do farangs ride around on a motorbike in the rain when they can be driving a car? The answer may be remarkably similar.

• Like 1

There is a fair amount of confusion and propaganda put about with this regard. Years ago plastic bags were no degradable and would last upwards of a decade in the ground (land fill). Since then plastic bags are now degradable - in fact they degrade with sunlight rather than bacterial decay - a project in the UK several years ago showed that paper lasts a very long time in land fill - the reason is that the bacteria that eats the paper is killed by the methane the rotting vegetables give off. They found news papers that were decades old in uncovered land fill (i.e. land fill sites that had been buried and then dug up as part of the project). Plastic degrades very quickly now - just leave a bin liner full of plastic bottles on your balcony and in just a few days the plastic will fall apart.

The myth of the plastic island made from bags in the Atlantic is just that, a myth. Sea water breaks plastic bags down even quicker.

The main problem is the mess when they are dumped at the roadside (and the detritus that is dumped in them) - which is dirty, ugly and attracts rats etc. Also with animals ingesting them or getting tangled/trapped in them in the meantime.

The only real cure is home delivery - bags are too useful and few remember/bother to take bags with them shopping. This also cuts the emissions from many cars going to supermarkets in the first place - its coming, but slowly.

• Like 1

normal plastic bags don't release toxic fumes when burned.

(but OK, if you mix plastic bags, with various wet junk and burn it, there are toxic fumes, because everything makes toxic fumes when burned too cold and with too less oxygen....there is no technical solution for being stupid.).

Plastic bags are great.....I would make make better one, stronger one and add a tax of 10 Baht per piece on them......And if you bring back one for recycling you get 5 Baht per piece.

Serious about this ???

Plastic bags have become scarce in China too, most people use re-usable bags and if you want a plastic bag at a supermarket or other store, you'll have to pay for it and they're always rather small and flimsy compared to what you get in Australia for example.

However, for most people supermarket plastic bags are almost always used to store your household trash and are thrown away that way - in China, people have to purchase separate garbage bags for their trash since they don't get plastic bags with their shopping.

Thailand would be wise to follow China's example, but I fear it will take years to achieve that. Another example: electric bikes are common in Chinese cities since scooters and motorcycles, powered by petrol/gas aren't allowed to be driven into most cities and are thus generally only seen in rural areas, the outskirts of larger cities and smaller towns and cities in rural areas (but even in those areas, electric bikes are generally more common). In Thailand, electric bikes are almost non-existent by comparison.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Thanks to all for the information.

I stand corrected.

I did not know that new plastic bags degraded faster than paper and that burning them is no longer toxic.

I still hate the smell when people in my village burn them'

I still think they make an otherwise very beautiful country look very trashy!

post-147745-0-45091800-1380590412_thumb.

Thanks to all for the information.

I stand corrected.

I did not know that new plastic bags degraded faster than paper and that burning them is no longer toxic.

I still hate the smell when people in my village burn them'

I still think they make an otherwise very beautiful country look very trashy!

Willy, you could at least use a photo of your village if there is one showing such litter, and not a picture

from some previous thread on litter in Bankok.

Some interesting reading for you and other anti-plastic bag crusaders.

http://www.bloomberg...c-bag-bans.html

http://online.wsj.co...2541876879.html