PM Yingluck visits Prachin Buri as flood crisis intensifies

webfact

INUNDATION
PM visits Prachin Buri as flood crisis intensifies

The Nation

30215928-01_big.jpg

Yingluck tours hardesthit province, where industrial estates are under threat; more rain coming

BANGKOK: -- THE FLOOD crisis in Prachin Buri was the focus of attention yesterday amid forecasts of more rain on the way and fears that local industrial estates could be submerged.

The eastern province has been the hardest hit, as it holds water running south from Nakhon Ratchasima, which is receiving run-off from Khao Yai National Park. Areas facing the biggest flood threat include the large Industrial Estate 304, where 20 factories are already flooded. And Prachantakham district is already inundated with a flood one to two metres deep.

The flood threat at Prachin Buri's industrial areas prompted a visit yesterday by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Banharn Silpa-archa, de-facto and chief adviser of the Chart Thai Pattana Party, which has MP seats in this province. They inspected many areas, met with flood victims and handed relief supplies to them. Many of these came in bags with a sticker picture of Thaksin, the fugitive former premier, on them.

A large number of villagers in two tambons in Prachantakham closed a road in protest at the authorities' alleged lack of care. Prachin Buri has faced flooding since September 19, with both urban and rural areas under a high level of water, some of which is now stagnant.

The flood situation remains grim, with incoming Typhoon Wutip threatening to bring heavy rain to the Northeast and lower North, which have already been hit hard and have many areas under water.

A weather forecast issued yesterday said Wutip was expected to reach Hue in Vietnam by today or tomorrow, and later slow down when reaching the Thai Northeast. Meanwhile, a monsoon nearing the southwest is also expected to bring heavy rain to coastal provinces near the Andaman Sea, and high seas are likely in the Gulf of Thailand.

Yingluck, as defence minister, had instructed military units to help flood victims in their vicinity. She also told the Public Health Ministry to give counselling to flood victims for their mental well-being, as well as treatment and medicine.

Banharn told reporters he had volunteered to Yingluck to take care of the situation in Prachin Buri on a regular basis if she is busy. He said the province had been hit by a record volume of water - the highest over a 30-year period, plus an influx from neighbouring Sa Kaew.

In a flood damage update yesterday, there have been 19 people killed in flood-related accidents or drowning, while some 27 provinces have areas under water. Floods have affected 783,000 households in 224 districts, with more than 2.7 million people.

The situation was better in five provinces: Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Kanchanaburi, Kalasin and Nakhon Ratchasima.

In hard-hit Ubon Ratchathani and Si Sa Ket provinces, some 15,254 people were evacuated from 4,416 flooded homes, according to the update by the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

Both Yingluck and Banharn also visited Kabin Buri, where the floodwater level remains high. In a report by provincial governor Jittra Phromchutima, they were told that two people drowned, 11,765 households were affected, 94,601 rai of farmland, 605 fish ponds, and 311 roads were flooded or damaged. Some 77,979 heads of cattle had also died.

Meanwhile, Democrat Party deputy spokesperson Mallika Bunmeetrakool said she doubted that Bt120 billion said to have been spent on flood prevention projects was fully allocated for such measures. She alleged that a woman with close ties to the government had demanded 40 per cent cut - or "tea money" from contractors. Mallika said she would lodge a complaint with the National Anti-Corruption Commission asking for an investigation into spending on flood projects.

The Public Health Ministry said yesterday more than 26,000 patients had received treatment for waterborne diseases - Athlete's Foot, body pain and headache. The report also said 35 small hospitals and government clinics had been flooded but public services at those places were continuing.

Mobile medical units from government hospitals had provided services 504 times, plus 18,500 home visits, with 80,000 medical kits given out to flood victims. Another 120,000 kits were ready for distribution and an order had been placed to obtain 300,000 more kits, the report said.

Public Health Minister Pradit Sintavanarong said health volunteers would make visits at locations where residents, such as the elderly and sick, were prone to post-flood diseases, including Leptospirosis, "pink eye", dengue, and watery bowel.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-30

Just another photo op and the other paper shows her and Banham wading through flood water, not too deep of course.

Although Yl has instructed this and that there is no suggestion the residents were given any explainations far less an apology for the government's failures and mis-leading comments especially those by YL herslef.

What a public spirited gesture by that old crawler Banham who voluntered to take care of Prachin Buri if YL was too busy ! He's trying to look good locally because his party has MPs from that province and of course YL will be too busy, after all she has all those parliamentary sessions and committees to attend and there must be another overseas trip due anytime.

You know what's really disgusting is the fact that these two are laughing and smiling in the camera. That's just a dispising disgraceful act towards the people who are suffering from the floods. They are laughing their behinds off.

Nor very discreet or appropriate is it ? However no doubt they were only responding to the warmth of love and adoration from residents so grateful they had turned out to share their discomfort.

• Like 2

Just another photo op and the other paper shows her and Banham wading through flood water, not too deep of course.

Although Yl has instructed this and that there is no suggestion the residents were given any explainations far less an apology for the government's failures and mis-leading comments especially those by YL herslef.

What a public spirited gesture by that old crawler Banham who voluntered to take care of Prachin Buri if YL was too busy ! He's trying to look good locally because his party has MPs from that province and of course YL will be too busy, after all she has all those parliamentary sessions and committees to attend and there must be another overseas trip due anytime.

You know what's really disgusting is the fact that these two are laughing and smiling in the camera. That's just a dispising disgraceful act towards the people who are suffering from the floods. They are laughing their behinds off.

Nor very discreet or appropriate is it ? However no doubt they were only responding to the warmth of love and adoration from residents so grateful they had turned out to share their discomfort.

Thx guys, I thought was just me, I can almost here them saying "Hey our feet are dry thanks for your concern."

• Like 2

You know what's the real funny part of this story?

"Areas facing the biggest flood threat include the large Industrial Estate 304, where 20 factories are already flooded."

After the floods of 2011, Estate 304 launched a massive campaign to advertise the fact that 304 was so high up from sea-level that they could not get flooded.

Many companies from Navanakorn, Bang Pa-In, Hi-Tech, Rojana all moved to 304. You check their list of factories and you'll see.

Even now, when you pass Navanakorn heading north, at the junction going to Bang Bua Thong, you find a massive billboard that says: "Come To The High Lands"

Every time I see that and then the news of 304 getting flooded, I just cant stop myself from smiling.... Navanakorn now has a huge floodwall. Nothing will happen here, I didn't move my company... 304 though, in all their arrogance, thought they'd never need a floodwall... so those companies spending billions to move are now, 2 years later having the same problems again!

• Like 2

Yingluck, as defence minister, had instructed military units to help flood victims in their vicinity.

She didn't have to they did it in the last flood as a civic responsibility. but it did give her a chance to look like she was doing some thing.

She also told the Public Health Ministry to give counselling to flood victims for their mental well-being, as well as treatment and medicine.

I was not aware that Thailand had spare councilors for mental health issues. I believe they have a very big need for them just to keep up with the non flood demand.

Banharn told reporters he had volunteered to Yingluck to take care of the situation in Prachin Buri on a regular basis if she is busy. He said the province had been hit by a record volume of water - the highest over a 30-year period, plus an influx from neighbouring Sa Kaew.

Should give her some time for more countries to visit and shop in. Her true passion. But she will take her own noodle soup and add hot water to it for her meals.

"They inspected many areas, met with flood victims and handed relief supplies to them. Many of these came in bags with a sticker picture of Thaksin, the fugitive former premier, on them."

Isn't that nice suffer through a flood and get a bag of supplies from the government with a free picture of Thaksin on it.

Last but not least

"The eastern province has been the hardest hit, as it holds water running south from Nakhon Ratchasima, which is receiving run-off from Khao Yai National Park.

I wonder how much of that run off is generated by illegally stripped land?

Areas facing the biggest flood threat include the large Industrial Estate 304, where 20 factories are already flooded. And Prachantakham district is already inundated with a flood one to two metres deep.

I wonder if they would have even bothered if it hadn't been for the fact that industries were getting flooded?

• Like 2

Look at the smug expression on Poo's face while she looks down on the little people. 'Do you want to go and talk to them Miss P.M. ?' 'Oh hell no, what do I want to talk to them for and besides I don't want to get my Jimmy Choo's wet, do you have any idea how much these things cost ?!' Get your ass in the water up to your waist and try to help people miss Poo ! Then I might feel some shred of respect for you...

Also I have to say it angers me that they try to use this to their political advantage by trying to make people believe that Taksin is trying to help them by putting his photo all over bags of aid. I would hope that when people see this they will think about the promises he and his puppet and all their cronies have made and see the reality that in fact their lives have not improved one iota under the rule of these idiots and all they have done is steal money from the country that COULD HAVE been used to make it better...

Edited by tingtongteesood
  • Like 2

There are some shyster pu-yai-bans (village headmen) who sold flood-prone land to dumb-ass corporation reps. One or both of those types of ding dongs should be prosecuted for making such stupid decisions. If I make a decision which causes a corporation to lose tens of millions of $$'s in assets, are there any legal repercussions to me? It would appear so, but not in Thailand, where rip-offs and stupidity go hand-in-hand.

In Thailand, you can take a can of gas in to a large dept. store, burn it down, and get away with it, if the political climate is accommodating.

Similarly, you can fool large international corporations in to moving to flood-prone areas.

Either way, tens of millions of dollars of corporate assets are destroyed.

I don't care much for the well-being of corporations, but the ensuing environmental damage and garbage is annoying.

Edited by boomerangutang

I thought exactly the same when I saw the photo before reading any posts.

OK here we go, another opportunity for the boo-birds to trash the PM. She was out there, getting wet, passing out a few bags, helping out, giving encouragement to the people. In other words, doing her job. One wonders what sort of a government would get a non-negative word out of you, Surely not the preceding crew. Didn't see Khun Mark out there in the rain, maybe I missed it?

Keep up the good work, Mme. Y. The people are with you.

OK here we go, another opportunity for the boo-birds to trash the PM. She was out there, getting wet, passing out a few bags, helping out, giving encouragement to the people. In other words, doing her job. One wonders what sort of a government would get a non-negative word out of you, Surely not the preceding crew. Didn't see Khun Mark out there in the rain, maybe I missed it?

Keep up the good work, Mme. Y. The people are with you.

peoples condemnation of her,is equally matched by your love and undying loyalty too her .......theres always one.. actually millions but their not to well educated,so you should know better cowboyw00t.gif ...getting wet..seriously doubt that .....

• Like 1

A flood-prone, low-lying land is going to get floods on a regular basis. Apparently the people of old knew this, and built their homes on stilts. There are steps which can be taken to mitigate the damage, but only so much that can be done, to hold back or divert all that water. I doubt there is enough money in the national treasury to really do much.

And now you're all going to pipe up about how Y's govt stole all the money, how she's personally lacking in smarts and personal integrity, how if you were running things, it would all be so much better.

Every day, no matter what, the same whining. Tedious.

• Like 1

PM continues her flood tour

BANGKOK, 30 September 2013 (NNT) - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has continued with her tours of flood-hit provinces, leading a delegation to inspect affected districts in Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani.

Upon arrival Prime Minister Yingluck on Sunday was briefed on the progress of the flood control measures. She then offered relief packages to residents in Si Sa Ket. She also met with Ubon Ratchathani provincial authorities to discuss the extent of the flood-induced damage. She returned to Bangkok later that evening.

During the trip, the premier also inspected a sluice gate in the province's Kabin Buri district, which has been ravaged by floods and has ordered officials to accelerate the drainage of Prachin Buri floodwater into nearby rivers.

She also ordered local authorities to provide assistance to residents in deluge-hit areas and open kitchens to provide food for affected locals.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-30 footer_n.gif

A number of posts have been deleted. Please don't post commercial links to other websites. Insulting comments and comments with improper names have been deleted as well as replies.

Self censorship is always a bit difficult with posters. Thank you Scott and the rest of the mods keeping us inline.

• Like 1

"Areas facing the biggest flood threat include the large Industrial Estate 304, where 20 factories are already flooded."

After the floods of 2011, Estate 304 launched a massive campaign to advertise the fact that 304 was so high up from sea-level that they could not get flooded.

Many companies from Navanakorn, Bang Pa-In, Hi-Tech, Rojana all moved to 304. You check their list of factories and you'll see.

Even now, when you pass Navanakorn heading north, at the junction going to Bang Bua Thong, you find a massive billboard that says: "Come To The High Lands"

Every time I see that and then the news of 304 getting flooded, I just cant stop myself from smiling.... Navanakorn now has a huge floodwall. Nothing will happen here, I didn't move my company... 304 though, in all their arrogance, thought they'd never need a floodwall... so those companies spending billions to move are now, 2 years later having the same problems again!

It takes a very special type of excuse for a person to find this sort of natural disaster anything like funny.

And now you're all going to pipe up about how Y's govt stole all the money,

Did you miss this snippet in the OP whistling.gif

She alleged that a woman with close ties to the government had demanded 40 per cent cut - or "tea money" from contractors. Mallika said she would lodge a complaint with the National Anti-Corruption Commission asking for an investigation into spending on flood projects.

It takes a very special type of excuse for a person to find this sort of natural disaster anything like funny.

So what was Yingluck & Banharn's excuse? Graft?

• Like 1

Look at the smug expression on Poo's face while she looks down on the little people. 'Do you want to go and talk to them Miss P.M. ?' 'Oh hell no, what do I want to talk to them for and besides I don't want to get my Jimmy Choo's wet, do you have any idea how much these things cost ?!' Get your ass in the water up to your waist and try to help people miss Poo ! Then I might feel some shred of respect for you...

Also I have to say it angers me that they try to use this to their political advantage by trying to make people believe that Taksin is trying to help them by putting his photo all over bags of aid. I would hope that when people see this they will think about the promises he and his puppet and all their cronies have made and see the reality that in fact their lives have not improved one iota under the rule of these idiots and all they have done is steal money from the country that COULD HAVE been used to make it better...

Given the Government's high ability to be inept.

It would not surprise me one bit if the contents of those bags was less use to them than bag's with a Ronald McDonald picture on them.

Yingluck seems to be enjoying it. What's her excuse?

So what was Yingluck & Banharn's excuse? Graft?

As I read it I found nothing funny about a natural disaster in it.

I did find the back room dealings to continue to let Natural disasters affect human doings amusing.

Even though Graft was the basis I think perhaps lack of concern for your fellow man played a large part in it.