Phuket jet-ski thug gets first taste of swift tourist court justice

webfact

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 1000 Baht fine for assaulting two Tourists,that's a cheap let off,considering the large sums generated by the Jet Ski Scams! it's peanuts. and more of a fine for dropping a cigarette end in the street.

I'm curious. How much is generated by the jet ski scams?

Judging by the many incidents of this scam reported on TV alone over the years,and the amounts they have sucked off the unwary Tourists.it must be a huge amount.

1000 baht fine ?????????????? Is that a joke ? or a typing mistake ?

There is just no way to satisfy everyone. If it were 10k Baht people would likely cry that it was too much. 1000k means a lot to the locals in perspective.

If you were the judge, how much would you fine them?

I would fine them exactly the same amount that they tried to exhort from the jet ski users.

• Like 2

You all might makes jokes, but I consider this real progress. You have to realise that fines in Thailand seem low, but that is just the real Thai economy (not the tourist economy).

This is the part I really like ...

“If Mr Danaichet is caught committing a crime during his probation, he faces a penalty of three months in prison,” the officer explained.

THB 1,000 may be a lot to the average Thai person; however, it is nothing compared to the amount the jet ski operators are extorting from tourists.

This is a huge step. Now we have a name and possibly a face we can post online of the offenders. 1000 baht is chump change for these jet ski guys. But let him do it again and 3 months without his cheddar.

The only legal system down there was the disgusting excuse of people you would call police. They were to settle the manner in a dishonorable way. Finally the Thais got smart and put this power out of their hands! The legal system is holding douche bags responsible for their actions. This is a victory!. Let's hope it continues. clap2.gif

I wish I could be as confident that justice truly would be served in the case of a repeat offence. And we shouldn't forget that his 3 months will be reduced to 1.5, which is standard in the Thai system if he confesses and saves the court people from actually having to do their jobs. Of a 1.5 month sentence, he would probably do 2 or 3 weeks away from the beach. But I just don't have any confidence that he'll be in court again if there is a repeat offence. Too many people get their palms greased by this scam.

There is just no way to satisfy everyone. If it were 10k Baht people would likely cry that it was too much. 1000k means a lot to the locals in perspective.

I would fine them with high amount so the next time they will think twice. the only things which can scare them is to take their money .... 10,000 is a beginning and I would not cry its too much . the only problem in this story is that you can beat up people and pay a fine of 1,000 baht and you are out .... sorry but they make more money in scams or renting their machines.... I have heard 1000 baht is a lot for Thais ... well for the factory workers or maids for sure ..... but not anymore for the others.

Well taken. However, I don't know what jet ski operators make and if they are all "Mafia" affiliated. Others seem to be privy to that information and to be on top of what these people make on a daily basis. What I do see is the propensity for western values to be applied to a culture that does not embrace them with much zeal. Punishment and sentences vary from country to country. I know of one country that resorts to caning for various violations and another that stones one to death or cuts off a hand for breaking a law.

Expecting the standards from our home countries to be applied here in the LOS is questionable at best. It's Thailand and if we expect change, then expect somewhat of a wait.

A great day ran out of likes. I like what you say.

I would how ever like to continue on the change vein and suggest we as foreigners especially those of us calling Thailand home do some changing are selves.

I have been here 7 years now and still try to operate on the idea that they are neither right or wrong just different.wai2.gif Except for they drive on the wrong side of the road most of the time.tongue.png

A 1,000 baht fine to most Thais would seem an awful lot of money maybe it would have been better had this man been banned from plying his trade on that beach for 3 months, no doubt he will put up his charges for rental to pay off his fine at least justice is seen to be done to a certain extent

Let's get this corrected.. A 1,000 baht fine to most normal, hard working, honest, law abiding thais, is an awful lot of money.

But Peanuts for a Jet Ski Con Merchant,let's keep the discussion on target,these crooks are not normal Thais earning low wages!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

Oh please. Stop already with the "local values" rationalization! This isn't the eighteenth century, and tourists are arriving at International airports, not in Spanish galleons or aboard HMS Bounty. No one expects thais to understand every nuance of western habits and culture, or accommodate every aspect of western tradition. But is there no understanding of the need for visitor safety & security, no acceptance of fair business dealing, no standards of fairness, no concept of equal justice?! Thailand actively pursues the tourist trade and the tourist buck - they seem to have no problem accepting our money. THAT part of the western tradition seems to have been fairly widely accepted...

If you're going to play in the majors, then you're going to have to learn to pitch and catch, and by the same rules every other team plays by. If Thailand is unwilling to make that commitment, then so be it. It's their right. But then let's have no whining when the rest of the world points the finger and rightly calls them out as backward and uncompetitive. This isn't a question of "alternative cultural values"; it's a matter of near total tolerance for tourist exploitation by all means possible, fair & foul. Period.

You do realize that if your going to play in the majors you are going to have to learn to pitch and catch. The Thais seem to be doing very well at it. In spite of the inflated figures TAT puts out tourism is growing as well as the number of ex pats. I have been here for 7 years now and heard the same whinnying and crying. Thailand is laughed at by the rest of the world the rest of the world looks down on them the rest of the world will stop coming and on it goes.

The only thing that has changed is more people from the rest of the world are coming to Thailand as tourists and ex pats. The ex pat figure is subject some what to the change in the exchange rate.

I would fine them exactly the same amount that they tried to exhort from the jet ski users.

So far I have not read anything in the media about any compensation money being demanded for jet ski damage. Must admit that seems strange as it's the normal scenario - can anyone quote from any media about money being 'extorted' in this particular case ??

a bargain. cheaper than sex.

Sex is and should emain free, a mutual pleasure...unfortunately in Thailand and more in Pattaya it has become a prostitution hub, also with many freelancers that can be met in discotheques and clubs...

My sport in Pattaya and everywhere in the world has always been to hunt and to seduce, not to pay for sex, it's too easy then, and I would be broke by now !

Oh please. Stop already with the "local values" rationalization! This isn't the eighteenth century, and tourists are arriving at International airports, not in Spanish galleons or aboard HMS Bounty. No one expects thais to understand every nuance of western habits and culture, or accommodate every aspect of western tradition. But is there no understanding of the need for visitor safety & security, no acceptance of fair business dealing, no standards of fairness, no concept of equal justice?! Thailand actively pursues the tourist trade and the tourist buck - they seem to have no problem accepting our money. THAT part of the western tradition seems to have been fairly widely accepted...

If you're going to play in the majors, then you're going to have to learn to pitch and catch, and by the same rules every other team plays by. If Thailand is unwilling to make that commitment, then so be it. It's their right. But then let's have no whining when the rest of the world points the finger and rightly calls them out as backward and uncompetitive. This isn't a question of "alternative cultural values"; it's a matter of near total tolerance for tourist exploitation by all means possible, fair & foul. Period.

You do realize that if your going to play in the majors you are going to have to learn to pitch and catch. The Thais seem to be doing very well at it. In spite of the inflated figures TAT puts out tourism is growing as well as the number of ex pats. I have been here for 7 years now and heard the same whinnying and crying. Thailand is laughed at by the rest of the world the rest of the world looks down on them the rest of the world will stop coming and on it goes.

The only thing that has changed is more people from the rest of the world are coming to Thailand as tourists and ex pats. The ex pat figure is subject some what to the change in the exchange rate.

I disagree. The raw numbers are anybody's guess, but TAT's figures must certainly be approached with a certain healthy skepticism. More importantly, I really think the composition has changed, reflecting a downturn that's apparent from the manner in which tourists have been received and treated over the last several years. That's turned some number of thais a bit more desparate - noticeably so - and is contributing to these thai-on-foreigner problems. Also, I believe the average foreigner arriveswith less discretionary money to spend and may actually he less and less the "quality tourist" that the thais would like (and need) to see.

Lastly, there's the matter of politics. The culture IS changing. Thailand has discovered the entitlement mentality, and for some that's begun to translate into naked exploitationism. The foreigner is a target, not a guest. Thirty years ago a reasonably well-behaved foreigner here was treated with the utmost courtesy & respect. A thai might even intervene or scold a fellow thai for impoliteness - even unintentional - toward you. Those days are long gone. The growth of the scam industry ( yes, they've always been around, in BKK at least), police corruption and the hazards to tourists they themselves now represent, thai-on-foreigner violence -- these things are symptoms of great underlying change. It wasn't always like this.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 2

Yes! and start the charges by looking at their Bank Account Statements,and visable Assets.

You all might makes jokes, but I consider this real progress. You have to realise that fines in Thailand seem low, but that is just the real Thai economy (not the tourist economy).

“If Mr Danaichet is caught committing a crime during his probation, he faces a penalty of three months in prison,” the officer explained.

THB 1,000 may be a lot to the average Thai person; however, it is nothing compared to the amount the jet ski operators are extorting from tourists.

This is a huge step. Now we have a name and possibly a face we can post online of the offenders. 1000 baht is chump change for these jet ski guys. But let him do it again and 3 months without his cheddar.

The only legal system down there was the disgusting excuse of people you would call police. They were to settle the manner in a dishonorable way. Finally the Thais got smart and put this power out of their hands! The legal system is holding douche bags responsible for their actions. This is a victory!. Let's hope it continues. clap2.gif

I wish I could be as confident that justice truly would be served in the case of a repeat offence. And we shouldn't forget that his 3 months will be reduced to 1.5, which is standard in the Thai system if he confesses and saves the court people from actually having to do their jobs. Of a 1.5 month sentence, he would probably do 2 or 3 weeks away from the beach. But I just don't have any confidence that he'll be in court again if there is a repeat offence. Too many people get their palms greased by this scam.

I agree and hope you're wrong. Maybe. Just Maybe the government is looking a the bigger picture here. The nasty truth that has been happening in Phuket. This just might be beyond the local level. This could be the upper echelons wanting these thugs to clean up their act. It's far over due. I hope the judges aren't part of the scam now. Though I'm sure once they hit the jails. Yes, they will be able to get a reduced sentence. At least it's a show. We have social media to keep them in line. I hope anyone who is a victim of this scam or any crime will report it and be noticed. Time will tell na!

Totally agree.

First, there was moaning that nothing was done, now the moaning continues.

I am not familiar with the Thai penal code but I should suspect that fines in general are lower than say in Oz or the USA. Lots of Thais for which THB 1,000 are a fair chunk of cash.

You are right, so now they have to find a new tourist they can extort 1000.-bath from bah.gif

Yes, 1000k is a lot to the average law abiding Thai, who perhaps only makes 9000k per month.

But this is not about the law abiding Thai, this case is about a cowardly bullying thug, a big difference.

Yes, 1000k is a lot to the average law abiding Thai, who perhaps only makes 9000k per month.

But this is not about the law abiding Thai, this case is about a cowardly bullying thug, a big difference.

Would be hard to write a new law of punishment just to define a cowardly bullying thug ? I can imagine the lawyers trying to prove that

Much better for folks who do not wish for this type of drama to steer clear of Phuket and head to a shopping mall instead

Fines in Thailand are not relative to earnings. The justice system is archaic and not updated because it suits the rich that way. Do not castigate the judges for working n the system because they did not create it - instead petition the government who really are the most useless bunch of nerds ever to populate the planet.

Leaders as nerds - population likewise

China started a zero baht law that went into effect today for it citizens traveling to Thailand.

Would be interesting to see the "blood suckers" look for another easy prey group as this new law mandates zero commission tours which pretty much wipe out all the vendors at the beach for group related tour buses you see unloading off Phuket or Pattaya every day

The financial impact is bound to hurt.

For the first hit... But if he does it again within 2 yrs, then he will be facing jail time

Is is great... Perhaps less than he deserved, but a least it went through the system very quickly and no 'damages' seemed to be paid by the tourists

So clearly far far better than the old system of 'shake down at the Police station'

So still call it a win...

If this happens again and again, then there will soon. Be a lot of jet ski operators, taxi , Tuk Tuk drivers on probation before too long...

Once they are on probation and looking at Jail time for repeat offense, may cause them to think twice

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

When they pull scams up to 30,000 baht a pop I dont think this will mean a damn.

For the first hit... But if he does it again within 2 yrs, then he will be facing jail time

Is is great... Perhaps less than he deserved, but a least it went through the system very quickly and no 'damages' seemed to be paid by the tourists

So clearly far far better than the old system of 'shake down at the Police station'

So still call it a win...

If this happens again and again, then there will soon. Be a lot of jet ski operators, taxi , Tuk Tuk drivers on probation before too long...

Once they are on probation and looking at Jail time for repeat offense, may cause them to think twice

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

if he does the same in India he will be given Bail and case runs for 18 years and after he have an appeal which runs for 6 years and after he has chance to go to Supreme court and no time limit good luck

A 1,000 baht fine to most Thais would seem an awful lot of money maybe it would have been better had this man been banned from plying his trade on that beach for 3 months, no doubt he will put up his charges for rental to pay off his fine at least justice is seen to be done to a certain extent

Let's get this corrected.. A 1,000 baht fine to most normal, hard working, honest, law abiding thais, is an awful lot of money.

Right, but that is not who we are talking about here. We are talking about jet ski mafia: abnormal, lazy, dishonest criminals.

So you want 2 maximum fines: one for the average Somchai, max. 500 Baht, and 1 for tuktuk drivers and jetski operators, max 50,000 Baht?

Actually not at all, was just pointing out that they are not normal, honest, hard working or law abiding.

However, you will be surprised to know that courts in the states routinely factor in the assets and incomes of the offender when they set their fines and restitution's. The law does not state "2 maximum fines" but rather a range. It is a good idea.

Edited by NomadJoe

If Mr Danaichet is caught committing a crime during his probation, he faces a penalty of three months in prison, the officer explained.

Maybe so, however 1,000 Baht is an insult . These people were attacked with a weapon. Furthermore, these jet ski operators make a significant amount of profit excluding their damage scams and 1,000 Baht simply relates to one hour jet ski hire. And of course lets not forget that we have the word of the authorities that should this thug commit another act over the followng three months he faces jail time. Yeah sure. Just another example of the hypocracy of this country.

Swift justice my ass.

For sure 1,000 baht fine might seem an insult, however the fine penalties are set by the Thai police system and are universal across all Thailand. The fines take no account of individual income or personal circumstances. I would expect that compensation would also have to paid for medical expenses, but that has not been reported by media. For all those condemning the fine level, so how much would a road offense ticket cost in your home country ? Here in Thailand it's 3 or 5 hundred baht. That seems a bargain to me.

Fines are set by the law makers, not "Thai police system" whatever that is.

So you are using the argument that 3-5 hundred baht for traffic offenses is a good thing? This directly leads to road deaths. I am not in favor of a complete nanny state but some logical, meaningful traffic enforcement for the worse offenders would be welcomed. I would need to spend far less time keying the paint and slashing the tires of shit expat driver Toyota Fortuners, Hilux's etc.

Considering that the case was even heard to begin with, is a blessing. I see it says that the cases of assault on the father and son were tried separately. So I'm hoping that means a 1000 baht fine in each case. At least justice is being carried out. I doubt this knucklehead will complete his probation. Creatures of nature, kind of hard to break ole habits.

Definitely a step in the right direction. The penalties imposed wont have future offenders quivering in fear I suspect

This case was heard in the Provincial Court, The Tourist Court hasn't heard any cases as yet. Apparently the process is, first appearance at the Provincial Court for a plea. If you plead guilty matter resolved then and there if you plead not guilty the matter adjourned off and moved to the tourist court for trial on a date to be set.