Phuket jet-ski thug gets first taste of swift tourist court justice

webfact

So if I smacked him back, and got charged, would I get a 1000 baht fine? If so sounds worth it to me!

I think we all (except Stevenl) know the answer to that one! laugh.png

Try to find strength in yourself, not hiding behind others.

• Like 1

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all might makes jokes, but I consider this real progress. You have to realise that fines in Thailand seem low, but that is just the real Thai economy (not the tourist economy).

This is the part I really like ...

“If Mr Danaichet is caught committing a crime during his probation, he faces a penalty of three months in prison,” the officer explained.

Totally agree.

First, there was moaning that nothing was done, now the moaning continues.

I am not familiar with the Thai penal code but I should suspect that fines in general are lower than say in Oz or the USA. Lots of Thais for which THB 1,000 are a fair chunk of cash.

Again, totally agree. This at the very least is a step in the right direction and shows some will from the Thai authorities to address such stupid acts as have been perpetrated by these morons. Let us hope that this is the start of a clean up - we can only live in hope. The longest journey begins with the first step as they say.

Your optimism might be well-founded if this were the first time a Thai has had received ANY punishment for assaulting a foreigner, and/or the fine, while small, was at least higher than what had been imposed in the past.

But check this: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566898-phuket-tuk-tuk-driver-gets-suspended-sentence-for-attack-on-tourist/

14 months ago, assault on a tourist results in 3 month suspended sentence and 3,000 Baht fine. Now an assault results in only 500 Baht fine. At that rate, by Christmas foreigners will actually PAY for the privilege of being beaten up! smile.png

And TAT will release a statement that tourists are flocking for the privilege of being beaten up by a scammer of their choice.

If I am not wrong the fine for fighting is 500. 2 persons = 1000.

You all seem to forget we foreigners are not that liked here and the country is moving away from being the so friendly Land of Smiles. Even the service in many restaurants, coffeeshops etc... Is far below what I would receive in most European countries. Its decline, no progress. Nevertheless good there is a tourist court. Its a good first step.

• Like 1

1000 baht fine ?????????????? Is that a joke ? or a typing mistake ?

Actually putting it in context, 1000 baht isn't a bad Fine it all. if you consider how much he makes in a day, that will keep him aware.

If you don't look at these things in context the whole point is moot.

Obviously you don't live here, don't see these scammers on a daily basis, nor do you know how much they make, nor how much influence these guys have. 500 baht for one assault on a tourist is a small fraction of a half hour jet ski rental.  These guys along with the tuk tuk and black plate taxis are thugs, plain and simple and operate as if they are above the law.

True I hated Phuket and that other P place. I opted for the country.

I never understood what people see in those two dumps.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Come on - Its the appearance of justice

What more do you want, or expect?

Oh yes. 'Makes me want to jump right on the very next flight to Phuket, hail a mafia taxi straight to the beach, and rent the first jet ski I see! I just hope I won't have to wait in line; I expect there'll be huge crowds now.

Again the Thai law cannot be set for different provinces as this will be decried swiftly as an insult to human rights by some.

Phuket is well known to be a tourist rip, some of the folks there do make a quick buck out of an unsuspecting tourist.

However tourists have choices and they choose to come despite it being so well documented on the web. Many of the negative folks decry they should be protected would do better staying at home at their nanny states.

1000baht may not sound like a lot to a limited some in Phuket but try explaining that to a som Tum seller here in one of the smaller provinces who makes 100-200 baht profit a day that 1000 baht is not a great fine and you create an uproar

• Like 2

Neither is anyone forcing the Thai to rent jet skis to tourists... There's more involved here than a small serving of som tam. AND there was violence (not something one very often hears said about street food purchases...). If the judge could have awarded up to a 4K baht fine and some jail time, and instead awarded a fine representing a fraction of the rental fee not to mention the scam amount, and not a day of jail time for an actual BATTERY, then it seems to me these tourists simply did not get justice.

Yes, TIT, and that's their justice. That doesn't mean it's not backward and ineffective, and certainly NOT to be relied upon or considered protection by visitors.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

You all might makes jokes, but I consider this real progress. You have to realise that fines in Thailand seem low, but that is just the real Thai economy (not the tourist economy).

“If Mr Danaichet is caught committing a crime during his probation, he faces a penalty of three months in prison,” the officer explained.

Totally agree.

First, there was moaning that nothing was done, now the moaning continues.

I am not familiar with the Thai penal code but I should suspect that fines in general are lower than say in Oz or the USA. Lots of Thais for which THB 1,000 are a fair chunk of cash.

Again, totally agree. This at the very least is a step in the right direction and shows some will from the Thai authorities to address such stupid acts as have been perpetrated by these morons. Let us hope that this is the start of a clean up - we can only live in hope. The longest journey begins with the first step as they say.

Your optimism might be well-founded if this were the first time a Thai has had received ANY punishment for assaulting a foreigner, and/or the fine, while small, was at least higher than what had been imposed in the past.

But check this: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566898-phuket-tuk-tuk-driver-gets-suspended-sentence-for-attack-on-tourist/

14 months ago, assault on a tourist results in 3 month suspended sentence and 3,000 Baht fine. Now an assault results in only 500 Baht fine. At that rate, by Christmas foreigners will actually PAY for the privilege of being beaten up! smile.png

Do a search and you will find many other incidents where the perpetrators walked away without any fine.

In other words: your example is meaningless. But it sounds good.

It maybe the law but will it be a deterrent for the future ?

It is a start but time will tell it's often the case everywhere that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. And as far as i can see the losing face in these circumstances (Thai v Tourists ) it is no deterrent just wishful thinking.

Progress of sorts and the new court is a very welcome prop for tourists.

But let's put the derisory fine of B1,000 into perspective. It should have been B100,000.

For a poor Thai B1,000 it is a chunk of money....for a Jet ski operator it is a pittance when you scam and cheat the renter out of up to B50,000 per rental.

At that rate it will take 50 court appearances to drop the proceeds of just a single scam.

• Like 1

I am willing to concede that it is progress but not much. I guess how ever ineffective it is a start needs to be begun. If that was all they were going to do what was the point in rushing it through while the victims were still here?

What did the victims receive from it? Could not there testimony been written out and witnessed by the police officers and then presented to the court in the usual time line for these type of charges.

I tend to agree and disagree with you on the Thai economy. Some how I can not see a Jet ski operator in the same economical sense as a field hand in the rice paddies.

But yes the two month jail time hanging over their head is a good thing.

• Like 1

For the first hit... But if he does it again within 2 yrs, then he will be facing jail time

Is is great... Perhaps less than he deserved, but a least it went through the system very quickly and no 'damages' seemed to be paid by the tourists

So clearly far far better than the old system of 'shake down at the Police station'

So still call it a win...

If this happens again and again, then there will soon. Be a lot of jet ski operators, taxi , Tuk Tuk drivers on probation before too long...

Once they are on probation and looking at Jail time for repeat offense, may cause them to think twice

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Some thing like this could lead to a shortage of no swimming poles.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

If Mr Danaichet is caught committing a crime during his probation, he faces a penalty of three months in prison, the officer explained.

Maybe so, however 1,000 Baht is an insult . These people were attacked with a weapon. Furthermore, these jet ski operators make a significant amount of profit excluding their damage scams and 1,000 Baht simply relates to one hour jet ski hire. And of course lets not forget that we have the word of the authorities that should this thug commit another act over the followng three months he faces jail time. Yeah sure. Just another example of the hypocracy of this country.

Swift justice my ass.

For sure 1,000 baht fine might seem an insult, however the fine penalties are set by the Thai police system and are universal across all Thailand. The fines take no account of individual income or personal circumstances. I would expect that compensation would also have to paid for medical expenses, but that has not been reported by media. For all those condemning the fine level, so how much would a road offense ticket cost in your home country ? Here in Thailand it's 3 or 5 hundred baht. That seems a bargain to me.

Obviously that's not true. If a farang assaults two Thais, the fine will definitely not be 1,000 Baht.

The convicted is now totally at the mercy of the BIB. The conviction and suspended sentence simply means that the next incident gets nowhere a court, he will be extorted by the cops to keep his ass out of jail. In fact, he is now a target for such police activity.

• Like 1

1000 baht fine ?????????????? Is that a joke ? or a typing mistake ?

There is just no way to satisfy everyone. If it were 10k Baht people would likely cry that it was too much. 1000k means a lot to the locals in perspective.

If you were the judge, how much would you fine them?

I would fine them with high amount so the next time they will think twice. the only things which can scare them is to take their money .... 10,000 is a beginning and I would not cry its too much . the only problem in this story is that you can beat up people and pay a fine of 1,000 baht and you are out .... sorry but they make more money in scams or renting their machines.... I have heard 1000 baht is a lot for Thais ... well for the factory workers or maids for sure ..... but not anymore for the others.

Well taken. However, I don't know what jet ski operators make and if they are all "Mafia" affiliated. Others seem to be privy to that information and to be on top of what these people make on a daily basis. What I do see is the propensity for western values to be applied to a culture that does not embrace them with much zeal. Punishment and sentences vary from country to country. I know of one country that resorts to caning for various violations and another that stones one to death or cuts off a hand for breaking a law.

Expecting the standards from our home countries to be applied here in the LOS is questionable at best. It's Thailand and if we expect change, then expect somewhat of a wait.

• Like 1

A thousand baht fine, that's a joke, to these scumbags that's chump change, why the heck dint the court set a proper example and fine them 40,000 Baht and pay compensation to the victims of at least 500,000 Baht.

Its a joke

Its a joke

Its a joke

bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

What basis do you have for "...a proper example and fine them 40,000 Baht". Where did you arrive at that amount? If you were arrested and fined or bail set, would you not want some formal table of the amounts to be know and within your ability to pay?

Does a jet ski vendor belong to a special category for elevated fines or is this reserved only for those that include assault in their transgressions.? Does the extent of injury or lack thereof result in a higher or lesser fine? What about other mitigating factors?

It is easy to come up with knee-jerk reactions to news stories. The difficult part is thinking them out and realizing that we don't have all the information.

Edited by Benmart

THB 1,000 may be a lot to the average Thai person; however, it is nothing compared to the amount the jet ski operators are extorting from tourists.

This is a huge step. Now we have a name and possibly a face we can post online of the offenders. 1000 baht is chump change for these jet ski guys. But let him do it again and 3 months without his cheddar.

The only legal system down there was the disgusting excuse of people you would call police. They were to settle the manner in a dishonorable way. Finally the Thais got smart and put this power out of their hands! The legal system is holding douche bags responsible for their actions. This is a victory!. Let's hope it continues. clap2.gif

• Like 1

A 1000 Baht fine for assaulting two Tourists,that's a cheap let off,considering the large sums generated by the Jet Ski Scams! it's peanuts. and more of a fine for dropping a cigarette end in the street.

I bet this guy will not sleep at night after a massive 1000 b fine...

He will probably just try to extort B101.000 off the next poor sod who hires a Jetski,

to get his B1000 back!

An assumption at best. Please provide an example of this if you have knowledge of it. Thanks.

A 1000 Baht fine for assaulting two Tourists,that's a cheap let off,considering the large sums generated by the Jet Ski Scams! it's peanuts. and more of a fine for dropping a cigarette end in the street.

I'm curious. How much is generated by the jet ski scams?

The convicted is now totally at the mercy of the BIB. The conviction and suspended sentence simply means that the next incident gets nowhere a court, he will be extorted by the cops to keep his ass out of jail. In fact, he is now a target for such police activity.

Can you provide an example to sustain your statement? Thanks.

Progress of sorts and the new court is a very welcome prop for tourists.

But let's put the derisory fine of B1,000 into perspective. It should have been B100,000.

For a poor Thai B1,000 it is a chunk of money....for a Jet ski operator it is a pittance when you scam and cheat the renter out of up to B50,000 per rental.

At that rate it will take 50 court appearances to drop the proceeds of just a single scam.

How did you arrive at B100,000? Why not 50,000 or 200,000? "Should" is an often used word that has blurred meanings at times. Fines and bail amounts are usually computed taking into consideration numerous factors, most of which are unknown to any or us. We are foreigners and our values are influenced by our experiences back home which may not be valid here in the LOS.

I'm curious. How much is generated by the jet ski scams?

Do you really think anyone keeps any sort of official accounting. I would guess it's a lot more than people think. Is there even an official count of number of jet skis on Phuket Island ?

• Like 1

The offender assulted two different persons, so this surely is two offenses ! Therefore he should have had to answer to two charges.

The first being fined the rate of Bht500 with 3 mth suspended sentence. The second, fined Bht 500 but then 3 mths jail for a repeated offense.