Two Liberians arrested in Pattaya over "Black Money" scam

webfact

Two Liberians arrested in Pattaya over "Black Money" scam

liberia-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Monday Afternoon Police Major General Katcha, the Provincial Police Commander, held a press conference at Nongprue Police Station to announce the arrest of two Liberians accused of attempted to extort money in relation to a “Black Money” scam.

The scam involves black pieces of paper in the shape of US Dollars Bills. The scammers attempt to extort money from unsuspecting individuals to purchase chemicals which can transform the black paper into US Dollar Bills, a process which is fictitious.

liberia-3.jpg

This particular scam began on 15th September when Mr. Mark Barner aged 25 and Mr. Samuel Paasawe aged 23, both from Liberia, befriended a man at a local football stadium and initial asked for 60,000 Baht so they could fly back to Liberia to speak with a friend known only as “David” about starting a business in Thailand.

The money was given over and the men were prepared to return the money but only had the “Black Money” which they were able to transform into US Dollar notes by using an unknown chemical.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/104317/liberians-arrested-pattaya-black-money-scam/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-10-01

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am actually getting a good laugh over this article.

A- Who would fall for this so called scam

B - Why is this even news?

``B - Why is this even news?``

So as to reduce the chances that you be the next to fall for itwhistling.gif

Just kidding...

• Like 1

What, again, when are the old bill going to clamp down on these people? You only need to go down the main street in BKK and they are all upto no good.

The "Old Bill" have no jurisdiction in Thailand but I would agree the Boys in Tight Brown are certainly all up to no good. Its wonder some alien force doesn't come down and clamp down. They're all over the main street(?) in Bangkok.

What, again, yes again.

Surely you don't mean that all Blacks are "Up to no good"?

These low life scammers are like cockroaches, you kill a few and hundreds more will appear,

only stiff, sever penalties will deter them from coming, but I can't see it happening in Thailand

where attitude toward petty criminals are very lenient at worst.

I am actually getting a good laugh over this article.

A- Who would fall for this so called scam

B - Why is this even news?

Because it's a little comic relief?

Those are the kind of people why all of the people see black people are all scammers and up to no good!

From internet scammers, identity fraud, drug dealers, drug couriers, gun smugglers, and everything that is bad in this world are from them! so tell us why do all of us don't have a good impression on this kind of people?

Many black people out there are doing good and kind but this kind of wannabe criminals are destroying the image of all blacks.

Ah....I don't know....maybe in a very, very general way, like if I saw some random Nigerian guy in Bangkok I might not trust him initially and be on guard. Most people, though, can differentiate between the good and the bad. Hell...even as sketchy as Nigerians can be, they can also be very nice and hardworking and I know several who are very good people......

Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dumb up here just seem to be risk-takers coming from a tough place (LIberia!) and didn't get away with it.

Have to agree with a lot of these posts. What is the sense in protecting stupid people from people like that. There is no sense in expending manpower and budget money to go out of one's way to protect idiots from stepping in front of a moving vehicle. Sometimes one has to let the laws of natural selection take over. The poor suckers get to go home and make it that much harder for scammers to make a living, and eventually they will go somewhere else as well.

Well now hold on a second... I just described most Thais. They are already home! Hmmm!

Oh bother!

What, again, when are the old bill going to clamp down on these people? You only need to go down the main street in BKK and they are all upto no good.

They can't! They have to count them in the number of TOURISTS so make the numbers look better :)

Someone (looking like these guys) approached me on the stairs going up to Asok/Sukhumvit BTS station. Seemed friendly so exchanged numbers.

This was going back to like 2010-2011 or so (sorry cant remember exact).

Then asked to hang out, so I met in public safe areas like food courts inside a Tesco. After 2-3 meetings, put this "scam" on to me. I led them on, thinking I was some dumb guy saying I would get my parents to wire me the funds.

In the meanwhile, I went to the local police station which was Sutthisan at the time. Told them about it with my perfectly bi-lingual girlfriend, and they didn't pursue it. So guess its going to keep happening (to poor souls), unless local police want to nip it early.

Part of it was, no crime was committed yet. I told them of course not, because I'm not that dumb to hand over the cash. I suggested they setup a sting with the people, what more can you do.

"Caveat Emptor"

• Like 1

You know what, I like these guys.. They must be the world's best salesmen to be able to get people to fall for that, just imagine how wealthy they would be if they they worked for a bank.

The so called victim, if he is that stupid he was going to loose his money sooner or later anyway, this is as worthy a cause as any.

• Like 1

You know what, I like these guys.. They must be the world's best salesmen to be able to get people to fall for that, just imagine how wealthy they would be if they they worked for a bank.

The so called victim, if he is that stupid he was going to loose his money sooner or later anyway, this is as worthy a cause as any.

hahahahah true, can i hire ´m when they get out

Those are the kind of people why all of the people see black people are all scammers and up to no good!

From internet scammers, identity fraud, drug dealers, drug couriers, gun smugglers, and everything that is bad in this world are from them! so tell us why do all of us don't have a good impression on this kind of people?

Many black people out there are doing good and kind but this kind of wannabe criminals are destroying the image of all blacks.

You would never say that white scammers are destroying the image of all whites... cause you're white yourself. So you're being racist without even realising it..

The moment you start to label a large group of people as "this kind of people".. you have already crossed the line...

The fact is percentage wise it is more probable that a black guy is some sort of criminal than a white guy. That has to do with wealth distribution around the world and low development of most African countries. You can keep your suspicions and fears with you but you can't express them without offending majority of that group's members. It's like not asking women how old they are - express your opinion about people on a case-by-case basis.

• Like 2

You are so funny... of course its true cheesy.gif

"Those are the kind of people why all of the people see black people are all scammers and up to no good!"

• Like 1

Have any of you actually seen the black money scam? It's laughable beyond belief.

The problem is there are still too many idiots willing to suspend belief.

Agree. It is mind-boggling to me to understand how anyone can fall for this blatant fairy tale.

• Like 1