Water problem feedback

brommers

If like us you are in the vicinity of Meechok Plaza you will have had no water supply for the the past 24 hours. And no doubt you are having difficulty getting information.

The latest update from the call centre, after repeated attempts to get through, is that there will be no water until later this afternoon. The reason given is that old pipes are being replaced!

This is the seventh such occurrence in the last 26 months and no doubt there will be more as the frenzy of building around this area continues to overstretch the infrastructure.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I wish they'd given notice, but I guess that's the way they do it here. The water came back on at around noon today so it was off for nearly 24 hours. Fortunately, I have some rainwater stored so I could bucket flush my toilets.

In a lot of villages, and even in town, they have a public address system with speakers mounted on poles in the sois and they have daily updates as to what is going on at the temples etc. They often anounce stuff like when the water is being turned off. If you don't speak Thai , or if you don't pay attention you may not be aware of these notifications. I used them recently to get them to announce a warning to the locals after I spotted an intruder jumping over my wall.

I wish they'd given notice, but I guess that's the way they do it here. The water came back on at around noon today so it was off for nearly 24 hours. Fortunately, I have some rainwater stored so I could bucket flush my toilets.

In a lot of villages, and even in town, they have a public address system with speakers mounted on poles in the sois and they have daily updates as to what is going on at the temples etc. They often anounce stuff like when the water is being turned off. If you don't speak Thai , or if you don't pay attention you may not be aware of these notifications. I used them recently to get them to announce a warning to the locals after I spotted an intruder jumping over my wall.

Fortunately, I live in a Moo Baan that doesn't have that awful system that wakes one up at 7 so that the puyai baan can hear the sound of his own voice or the music of his youth. Such a system is good when everyone gets up early to work in the fields and many are illiterate but hardly necessary or wanted by the majority in middle class neighborhoods such as mine.

• Like 1

Fortunately, I live in a Moo Baan that doesn't have that awful system that wakes one up at 7 so that the puyai baan can hear the sound of his own voice or the music of his youth. Such a system is good when everyone gets up early to work in the fields and many are illiterate but hardly necessary or wanted by the majority in middle class neighborhoods such as mine.

I'm not a fan of it either, but I think you'll find that the majority of Thais either appreciate it, don't mind it, or don't notice it. After all these years, I fall into the latter category.

This is the second time the water has been off for more than 24 hrs,

in as many weeks, with all the building work going on around here,

several Condos,Shopping malls,I hope the water company has plans

to expand the supply of water,ditto the electrical company,and that

they don't act like the Internet companies and just keep adding new

customers without buying more band width.

Future planning, not really associated with Thailand,more like ,Oh its

broken better fix it, the Railways been a excellent example.

regards Worgeordie

Brommers

One explanation I got for the problem in our area (just south of Mae Jo) may apply in others areas, like yours. The pipes in our development are old concrete ones and they have just deteriorated over time and become brittle. So they replace broken sections with new, heavy duty PVC. So far they have been able to do so in about 1/2 day or so as the pipes are all under sidewalks and readily accessible, after a fashion.,

We have had over 10 failures this year alone. They are all unexpected, so if we are at home, we do not know about it. If we are out and about and come home, we find notice posted as we come in the gate. We tell our friends and relatives and we all just watch our tank water usage.

Have any of you experiencing the water problems referred to in the original post checked the new, very large pipes being laid along the road from Mae Jo towards Royal Chiang Mai Golf Club? And further, checked the reason these new pipes are being laid? Try to put it together with the many projects being constructed around Mee Chok/Ruam Chok? Could there be related work being done in your area?

Edited by hml367

I never noticed a problem at all. Like the OP said, 7 such occurrences in 26 months (and probably as many as 17-20 such occurrences over 36-40 months in the Sansai-Mae Jo area alone). Way of life here. We put water tanks in both upstairs and downstairs at the very beginning of the problem to avoid any interruptions with day to day life (short of running the washing machine or watering the garden). There were times when the water was off for up to 3 days! We never bothered to call. I think everyone should realize that with all the crazy construction going on that things will only continue to get worse and they should put tanks in their residences. All Thais in every region of the country have water tanks at their homes, even the most primitive ones.