US government shuts down as Congress misses deadline

webfact

You are being totally irrelevant to the problems with the national debt ceiling or Obamacare.

Do you honestly think that the willingness to shut down the US government has anything to do with so called Obamacare? I started to write something else but thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and just ask a question.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Meeting called at White House at 5:30. Tea leaves are saying that both sides have deal and initiated this as means to end this fiasco in a way to save some face. I am betting that the Republicans and dems contacted White House and said: "here is what we are going to do" . . . We already got a deal, call meeting with heads of parties, we meet, act like we are hammering it out and announce our plan (which will likely be another face saving band aide over the abscess comprised of concessions on both sides that keeps government running).

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/02/20777759-obama-summons-hill-leaders-to-white-house-on-shutdowns-second-day?lite

I hope the Dems drive the nails in so as to destroy the Republican party in its present form.

The GOP has destroyed itself already and just doesn't know it yet.

Preventing the government to accomplish anything since the first day of the Obama administration out of childish spite , has harmed the entire country and the GOP itself. It is the final nail in the coffin.

This tacked on to all the damage done to the countries world wide credibility during the 8 years of the Chaney administration will prevent the GOP from ever rising again.

Even many hard core Republicans are fed up now and have no faith in the party.

There will always be screwball "confederates and tea bagger types " making noise, but the inmates will never run the asylum.

• Like 1

America was not shut down properly. Would you like to start America in safe mode, with free healthcare & without the guns? (Recommended)

Free healthcare?! Would you, notmyself, or Publicus, sustento or ToddWeston (likers of this reply) please explain to the forum how healthcare or almost anything else in this world becomes free? I would like to know so I can make a killing obtaining it in vast quantities and selling it. While you're at it, also see if you can determine how the marketing/selling process can be made to be free as well. I think I'd love a 100% profit, zero-cost situation. BTW, I'm particularly interested in free lunches these days. The Bangkok lunchtime demographic looks very good for a killer start-up.

As far as the "without the guns" recommendation goes ... is that a recommendation to disarm the US military, law enforcement and several well-armed politicians as well as the usual law-abiding citizens? Maybe you literally meant it to apply to the whole world? Can you be a little more specific?

I'm waiting patiently ...

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

Jon Stewart keeps hammering the hammerheads in Washington who wrongly say that, beyond the fact of news reports, no one in the country has noticed the government is shut down - or the part of the government has shut down that affects National Institutes of Health cancer treatment of children programs, head start programs, veterans' administration programs, processing of home loan federal guarantees, school lunch program assistance and many more real, everyday programs funded by Washington and which assist Americans, the dwindling middle class especially.

Stewart Takes Down Fox News and 'Republican Morons' for Downplaying Shutdown - video link

The government shutdown has affected a number of government programs and agencies, but Jon Stewart noticed Tuesday night that some conservatives and Fox News pundits still don’t think it’s a big deal. He called them out for downplaying how serious the shutdown is, even issuing a strong “<deleted>*k you!” to one Fox contributor.

VIDEO here: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/stewart-takes-down-fox-news-and-republican-morons-for-downplaying-shutdown/

clap2.gif

Gotta love Jon Stewart. Clearly, the Republicans haven't figured out yet that Jon Stewart has a lot more credibility with young people in America than Fox News. That's why they keep losing elections!

• Like 1

America was not shut down properly. Would you like to start America in safe mode, with free healthcare & without the guns? (Recommended)

Free healthcare?! Would you, notmyself, or Publicus, sustento or ToddWeston (likers of this reply) please explain to the forum how healthcare or almost anything else in this world becomes free? I would like to know so I can make a killing obtaining it in vast quantities and selling it. While you're at it, also see if you can determine how the marketing/selling process can be made to be free as well. I think I'd love a 100% profit, zero-cost situation. BTW, I'm particularly interested in free lunches these days. The Bangkok lunchtime demographic looks very good for a killer start-up.

As far as the "without the guns" recommendation goes ... is that a recommendation to disarm the US military, law enforcement and several well-armed politicians as well as the usual law-abiding citizens? Maybe you literally meant it to apply to the whole world? Can you be a little more specific?

I'm waiting patiently ...

Don't take my "Like" literally.

It was done more in the spirit of the post, at least from my standpoint.

I dunno about the others who ticked "Like."

So you might want to calm down a bit.

Here are some things the Republican Party has done, published by a women's group.

These are the informed people. Link

If they're so informed, how do you explain that the majority of women have voted consistently for the Democratic candidate in every election since Reagan won in 1984?

Rabid bible bashers demanding the repeal of Roe vs Wade perhaps?

Poll: Americans not happy about shutdown; more blame GOP

On day three of the partial government shutdown, a new CBS News poll reveals that a large majority of Americans disapprove of the shutdown and more are blaming Republicans than President Obama and the Democrats for it.

Fully 72 percent of Americans disapprove of shutting down the federal government over differences on the Affordable Care Act; just 25 percent approve of this action.

Republicans in Congress receive more of the blame for the shutdown: 44 percent of Americans blame them, while 35 percent put more blame on President Obama and the Democrats in Congress.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57605822/poll-americans-not-happy-about-shutdown-more-blame-gop/

And everyone in Washington on all side of this knows that, when the Republicans join the shutdown to the debt ceiling limit - starting next week - Prez Obama then goes nuclear, i.e., he brings in Social Security.

When Republicans run the shutdown into the debt ceiling, before the middle of this month, Prez Obama and Treasury Secretary Jack Lew will announce that Social Security payments will be in jeopardy. Serious jeopardy.

The Republicans are prepared for this so they will try to point their index finger back at Prez Obama and the D's in Congress. However, the clear majority of Americans are against the shutdown and are opposed to the US Government defaulting on the full faith and credit of the United States.

The majority of Americans, as we see in today's CBS News poll, blame the Republicans for the shutdown. And the country knows who also wants to cause default, i.e., the Republicans in the House.

Senior Citizens know who will stop them getting their monthly government contribution to their retirement support - the Republicans in Washington.

By going nuclear, i.e., bringing Social Security into the mix, Prez Obama will destroy the Republicans in the House when the R's complete their plan to join the shutdown to the debt ceiling limit. The consequence is that the Republicans in Washington will self-eliminate, self-destruct, in a final sense.

A Republican political Hiroshima.

Obamacare as an issue will be long forgotten by then.

Obama's nuclear option will make the Republicans radioactive to the voters for a long time to come.

October 2013 already is the month the tea party was obliterated and Republicans in Washington disappeared off the deep end.

I quote Business Insider:

http://www.businessinsider.com/obamas-social-security-trump-card-2013-10#ixzz2ggCmlWQ6

But in a note to clients, Potomac Research Group's Greg Valliere says that President Obama still has one "trump card" of his own left to play, Social Security:

THE HEAVY ARTILLERY: We have thought for weeks that Obama would play the Social Security trump card if there was no deal on the debt ceiling by mid-October. This is one of several reasons why we think a default is unlikely, and it's one of several reasons why Boehner will capitulate; the only questions are when and under what terms. We think he may get a few crumbs, but no major concessions.

It looks increasingly likely that the debate over the government shutdown will roll into a debate over the debt ceiling.

"GOP strategists like Karl Rove surely know that it's just a matter of time before President Obama throws a game-changer — warning senior citizens that their Social Security checks won't be mailed because of John Boehner," Valliere notes.

Edited by Publicus

A majority of Americans is misinformed by the very liberal main stream media which prints and talks with a progressive agenda.

Early on, Obama said he wouldn't negotiate with Republicans and he hasn't. Is that any way to run a railroad?

The republicans have sent proposal after proposal to the Senate and Obama only to not even get a reply.

The American people aren't told this. If they were, the polls would change.

Now Obama may use the Social Security nuclear bomb and blame it all on the Republicans. But who is the brat who would do that rather than negotiate?

Look at what Obamacare is already doing to the economy just as predicted. Companies are sitting on mountains of cash, business is pretty good, but they won't hire because they don't yet know the cost to them of Obamacare.

There is a rule in Obamacare that companies must provide it for any employee who works 30 hours a week or more. So companies are hiring people for 29 hours per week. Gone are many full time jobs, all due to Obamacare. These people are referred to as part of the "underemployed" in addition to the actual unemployed.

Now add to all of this that there is no such thing as a free lunch or free medical care, and the clear fact that Obamacare isn't even care paid for by the government as many think it is, and you're heading for a train wreck.

Next up is the debt ceiling and the Republicans wisely want to decrease spending and try to balance the budget. But Obama is the biggest spender we've ever had, and he'll chop off people's social security first and blame it on the republicans. That while he refuses to negotiate and instead flies to somewhere else in the world or goes and plays golf.

This stalemate is Obama's and the Senate's doing. The Republicans want to sit down and negotiate rather than to see the US crash and burn in the future.

A majority of Americans is misinformed by the very liberal main stream media which prints and talks with a progressive agenda.

Early on, Obama said he wouldn't negotiate with Republicans and he hasn't. Is that any way to run a railroad?

The republicans have sent proposal after proposal to the Senate and Obama only to not even get a reply.

The American people aren't told this. If they were, the polls would change.

Now Obama may use the Social Security nuclear bomb and blame it all on the Republicans. But who is the brat who would do that rather than negotiate?

Look at what Obamacare is already doing to the economy just as predicted. Companies are sitting on mountains of cash, business is pretty good, but they won't hire because they don't yet know the cost to them of Obamacare.

There is a rule in Obamacare that companies must provide it for any employee who works 30 hours a week or more. So companies are hiring people for 29 hours per week. Gone are many full time jobs, all due to Obamacare. These people are referred to as part of the "underemployed" in addition to the actual unemployed.

Now add to all of this that there is no such thing as a free lunch or free medical care, and the clear fact that Obamacare isn't even care paid for by the government as many think it is, and you're heading for a train wreck.

Next up is the debt ceiling and the Republicans wisely want to decrease spending and try to balance the budget. But Obama is the biggest spender we've ever had, and he'll chop off people's social security first and blame it on the republicans. That while he refuses to negotiate and instead flies to somewhere else in the world or goes and plays golf.

This stalemate is Obama's and the Senate's doing. The Republicans want to sit down and negotiate rather than to see the US crash and burn in the future.

The post directly contradicts everything the plurality or the majority of Americans believe or say about the shutdown and its being connected to Obamacare.

The scientific public opinion survey research results are reliable, as we have seen for decades now in presidential elections and in other matters of intense public interest or concern.

It's been said by many analysts and said repeatedly that the tea party Republicans are suicidal. The House tea party Republicans are expressing the contrarian and destructive views of the Confederates back home in the gerrymandered Congressional Districts in Republican party controlled states that elected them.

House tea party Republicans are gleeful they have shut down the government over Obamacare and are reveling in the ensuing chaos and disorder. The anarchy is all they really want or care about. When they lose this fight, after they get nuked by Obama over Social Security, they will return to their Confederate constituents back home to say, "Look at the hell we gave 'em in Washington" and will be cheered and applauded. It's madness.

Speaker Boehner is not an unreasonable man. Boehner knows Obama is going to nuke the tea party Republicans in the House with the Social Security bomb. It's up to Boehner to find a way out of his party's own self-destruction, self immolation.

The debt limit pays for spending outlays already incurred by the Congress. The debt limit does not add any new legislative spending to the national debt. Raising the national debt limit is done, according to schedule, to pay on existing fiscal commitments, and you know this. Yet you argue disingenuously against additional spending, as if increasing the debt ceiling means new spending legislation is being dropped in. It is not and you know it.

One has to be attentive to credibility here.

Edited by Publicus

Republicans already are losing the shutdown fiasco they started but don't know how to conclude. So as of today, 19 Republican members of the House are proposing to fund reopening the government unconditionally, i.e., without any connection being made to Obamacare. The R's are beginning to crack. Predictably. They have no ground to stand on.

Hopefully, moderate, clear-thinking Republicans can take back the House and put an end to this fiasco. I'm still amazed that so many have aligned with the Tea Party kamikazes. That path is a no-win for everybody.

Republicans already are losing the shutdown fiasco they started but don't know how to conclude. So as of today, 19 Republican members of the House are proposing to fund reopening the government unconditionally, i.e., without any connection being made to Obamacare. The R's are beginning to crack. Predictably. They have no ground to stand on.

Hopefully, moderate, clear-thinking Republicans can take back the House and put an end to this fiasco. I'm still amazed that so many have aligned with the Tea Party kamikazes. That path is a no-win for everybody.

Yes, the majority of Republicans in the House would not have done this on their own. It's the work of 60 or so tea party types elected mostly in 2010 when the R's regained majority control of the House.

The moderate R's are cowed by tea party threats to run opponents against them in Republican party primary elections for the party's nomination. The tea party threatens Congress men and women with this and Senators too. Ted Cruz won the Republican primary against the sitting Lt Gov on the strength of the Texas tea party vote. So the threat is real.

The Republican party is the beotch of the tea party, which forces moderate and reasonably conservative Republicans to assist the tea party to take hostages, i.e., the US Government and the vast majority of the American people.

The only way to stop the House tea party Republicans is for Speaker John Boehner to stand up to them and to say no. Put the proverbial foot down. Boehner is not a tea party guy. But then if Boehner did put his foot down, he probably wouldn't get reelected Speaker in January 2015.

Actually, if the moderate and right of center Republicans in the House who are not tea party minded don't start acting reasonably, they know they themselves may be jeopardizing their general election chances even if they don't get primaried.

Edited by Publicus

This just in, shots fired in or around the Capital building in DC. Story developing.

http://www.forexlive.com/blog/2013/10/03/shots-fired-inside-the-us-capitol/

As it turns out, this is off topic to this topic. There is a new story in World News regarding this here:

Woman killed outside Capitol Hill after trying to ram gate of White House

Perhaps it should be pointed out that the budget bill being fought over is the first budget the Senate has passed since 2009.

It would seem the Senate holds no responsibility for not following the law by presenting an annual budget. The machine can always spin it to blame somebody else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senate Passes $3.7 Trillion Budget, Setting Up Contentious Negotiations
By JONATHAN WEISMAN
WASHINGTON — After an all-night debate that ended just before 5 a.m., the Senate on Saturday adopted its first budget in four years, a $3.7 trillion blueprint for 2014 that would provide a fast track for passage of tax increases, trim spending modestly and leave the government still deeply in the red a decade from now.
The 50-to-49 vote in the Senate, which is controlled by Democrats, sets up contentious — and potentially fruitless — negotiations with the Republican-controlled House in April to reconcile two vastly different plans for dealing with the nation’s economic and budgetary problems. No Republicans voted for the Senate plan, and four Democrats opposed it: Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Kay Hagan of North Carolina, Mark Begich of Alaska and Max Baucus of Montana. All four are from red states and are up for re-election in 2014.
  • Like 1

Are you that gullible or do you just think that everyone else is? I know Fox News keep churning this line out, but with the general level of intelligence of their viewers, I'm expect it.

The Republicans know that any bill they send that contains either measure to sabotage the already approved ACA will be rejected. Yet they keep sending it.

Them saying that they keep offering to negotiate is a big steaming pile of manure.

Jon Stewart nailed it IMO:

If it turns out that President Barack Obama can make a deal with the most intransigent, hardline, unreasonable, totalitarian mullahs in the world, but not with Republicans, maybe he’s not the problem.

- Jon Stewart on the government shutdown over Obamacare

"Are you that gullible or do you just think that everyone else is?"

This comment from a poster that gets his talking points from a television comedian. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Are you that gullible or do you just think that everyone else is? I know Fox News keep churning this line out, but with the general level of intelligence of their viewers, I'm expect it.

The Republicans know that any bill they send that contains either measure to sabotage the already approved ACA will be rejected. Yet they keep sending it.

Them saying that they keep offering to negotiate is a big steaming pile of manure.

Jon Stewart nailed it IMO:

If it turns out that President Barack Obama can make a deal with the most intransigent, hardline, unreasonable, totalitarian mullahs in the world, but not with Republicans, maybe he’s not the problem.

- Jon Stewart on the government shutdown over Obamacare

"Are you that gullible or do you just think that everyone else is?"

This comment from a poster that gets his talking points from a television comedian. cheesy.gif

The truth hurts, doesn't it.

Following is an article that points out where the real shutdown is happening. Read it only if you want to get some straight facts.

Sorry I couldn't find any Jon Stewart quotes to entertain some of you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Growing Number of Democrats Voting With House GOP to Fund Non-Obamacare Parts of Gov't
October 4, 2013 - 10:23 AM
By Terence P. Jeffrey
(CNSNews.com) - Over the past two weeks, a growing number of House Democrats have broken with their party leadership to vote with House Republicans to approve funding for parts of the federal government that do not involve implementing Obamacare.
The number of Democrats voting for funding bills put up by the House leadership that were then blocked by the Democrat-controlled Senate has grown from 2--who voted for a measure to fund the entire government except Obamacare--to as many as 36 who voted to pay members of the National Guard when on inactive-duty training.
However, because the Senate Democratic leadership has refused to support these measures, they have not been passed and sent on to President Obama to see if he would actually veto them to maintain his leverage in trying to force the House to fund Obamacare.
...Article continues here detailing all legislation passed by the House and stonewalled by the Democratic controlled Senate...
  • Like 1

Personally, I think this "new confederacy" is an existential threat to my country.

Yes, seriously. Much more so than Iran, Russia, China, etc.

It's time for Obama to put on his fighting gloves in the spirit of LINCOLN.

post-37101-0-38612200-1380954941_thumb.j

The New Confederacy, as churlish toward President Obama as the Old Confederacy was to Lincoln, has accomplished what its predecessor could not: It has shut down the federal government, and without even firing a weapon or taking 620,000 lives, as did the Old Confederacy’s instigated Civil War.

Not stopping there, however, the New Confederacy aims to destroy the full faith and credit of the United States, setting off economic calamity at home and abroad — all in the name of “fiscal sanity.”

Its members are as extreme as their ideological forebears. It matters not to them, as it didn’t to the Old Confederacy, whether they ultimately go down in flames. So what? For the moment, they are getting what they want: a federal government in the ditch, restrained from seeking to create a more humane society that extends justice for all.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/colbert-king-the-tea-party-resurrects-the-spirit-of-the-old-confederacy/2013/10/04/95b37f6e-2c7b-11e3-97a3-ff2758228523_story.html?hpid=z2

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Following is an article that points out where the real shutdown is happening. Read it only if you want to get some straight facts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Growing Number of Democrats Voting With House GOP to Fund Non-Obamacare Parts of Gov't
By Terence P. Jeffrey
(CNSNews.com) - Over the past two weeks, a growing number of House Democrats have broken with their party leadership to vote with House Republicans to approve funding for parts of the federal government that do not involve implementing Obamacare.
The number of Democrats voting for funding bills put up by the House leadership that were then blocked by the Democrat-controlled Senate has grown from 2--who voted for a measure to fund the entire government except Obamacare--to as many as 36 who voted to pay members of the National Guard when on inactive-duty training.
However, because the Senate Democratic leadership has refused to support these measures, they have not been passed and sent on to President Obama to see if he would actually veto them to maintain his leverage in trying to force the House to fund Obamacare.
...Article continues here detailing all legislation passed by the House and stonewalled by the Democratic controlled Senate...

It's very simple. Remove Obamacare, which has already been approved, and let the House have an open vote on the rest of it.

You and I both know it would sail through.

The Republicans are becoming a joke; if you want some real comedy gold:

Stutzman and his fellow House Republicans were saying Wednesday that their decision to shut down the federal government wasn’t about Obamacare after all, but actually to strengthen their hand in the approaching debt ceiling negotiations. Michael Grimm (R-NY) told the Examiner, “This isn’t just about Obamacare anymore.”

“We’re not going to be disrespected,” Stutzman said. “We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”

Pathetic.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Hmmm. What shutdown?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a 'Shutdown' Means: $63B Spent, $26B Taxed; $1.6B Borrowed; $1B Paid in Salaries--in Just 2 Days
October 4, 2013 - 11:55 AM
By Terence P. Jeffrey
(CNSNews.com) - In general terms, politicians and the press may be referring to what has been happening in Washington, D.C., over the past few days as a government "shutdown" or a "partial government shutdown," but the actual accounting sheets of the U.S. Treasury show that massive amounts of taxed and borrowed money were flowing in and out of the government during the first two days of fiscal 2014.
According to the Daily Treasury Statement for Oct. 2, which was released yesterday at 4:00 p.m., the Treasury spent a total of $63.262 billion in the first two days of fiscal 2014. At the same time, it took in $25.681 billion in tax revenue.
The Treasury also sold $1.648 billion in new Treasury securities--which is government debt.
Among the things, the federal government spent money on during the "partial government shutdown" was $1.129 billion in salaries for federal employees.
...and...
After Shutdown: Administration Gives $445,000,000 to Corporation for Public Broadcasting
October 3, 2013 - 4:15 PM
By Terence P. Jeffrey
(CNSNews.com) - On the first day of the “shutdown” of the federal government, when members of the U.S. Senate were going to the well of their house to point out that the shutdown would prevent the National Institutes of Health from starting clinical trials for cancer patients and others facing possibly terminal illnesses, the administration was giving $445,000,000 to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, according to the Daily Treasury Statement.
That means PBS NewsHour, National Public Radio and Sesame Street got a taxpayer subsidy during the shutdown, but not would-be cancer patients at the NIH.
The $445 million the Treasury handed over to CPB was more than the $119 million the Treasury paid on the first day of the shutdown in interest on U.S. government debt that is held by the public.

By Terence P. Jeffrey

It's very simple. Remove Obamacare, which has already been approved, and let the House have an open vote on the rest of it.

You and I both know it would sail through.

The Republicans are becoming a joke; if you want some real comedy gold:

Stutzman and his fellow House Republicans were saying Wednesday that their decision to shut down the federal government wasn’t about Obamacare after all, but actually to strengthen their hand in the approaching debt ceiling negotiations. Michael Grimm (R-NY) told the Examiner, “This isn’t just about Obamacare anymore.”

“We’re not going to be disrespected,” Stutzman said. “We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”

Pathetic.

Remove Obamacare from what and have a vote on what? Your post is lacking some cohesion somewhere.

Remove Obamacare from what and have a vote on what? Your post is lacking some cohesion somewhere.

Perhaps it's your cognition that's at fault.

The Dems would approve most versions of the spending bill without the ACA sabotage measures included.

Democrats said more than 20 House Republicans have indicated they would vote for the Senate's "clean" spending bill at this point to end the shutdown, and tried to coax these wavering Republicans to vote against GOP leaders.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/326673-gop-holds-firm-rejects-dem-move-to-vote-on-clean-spending-bill

Edited by Chicog