US government shuts down as Congress misses deadline

webfact

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Obamacare is modeled on Massachusetts and Switzerland and there aren't any disasters there. The plans in both places are working excellently.

You are misinformed.

You are grossly misinformed.

Massachusetts state budget

"Governor Deval Patrick signed the Massachusetts state budget into law on July 8, 2012, ten days after lawmakers sent it to him on June 28, 2012. Accounting for both general fund and non-general fund monies, the FY2013 "all funds" budget totaled $32.2 billion. FY2013 began on July 1, 2012, and with no budget signed into law, legislators passed a temporary spending measure to keep the state government operational.

The state operates on an annual budget cycle and is currently in FY2014. The state's fiscal year begins July 1.

As of 2012, Massachusetts had a total state debt of approximately $102,258,050,000, when calculated by adding the total of outstanding official debt, pension and other post-employment benefits (OPEB) liabilities, Unemployment Trust Fund loans and the state budget gap. The 2012 total state debt was higher than the prior year's total of $97,940,986,000.

As of 2012, Massachusetts's total state debt per capita was $15,522.96.

Proposed fiscal year 2014 state budget

On January 25, 2013, Governor Patrick unveiled his $34.8 billion proposed FY2014 state budget." LINK

-------------------------------

So you like their state debt of $102 billion dollars and climbing - or $60,000 per family of 4.

Do you call that "good" in a state with only 6 million people - fewer than the population of NYC?

This thread is about the shutdown of the US Government by the Republicans in the House.

I made passing reference to the fact the Affordable Care Act is modeled on the health and medical insurance programs of Massachusetts and of Switzerland. The thread is not about the debt of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, nor is it about the debt of the United States.

It's about the Republicans in the House violating the regular order of the Congress by refusing to vote a "clean" CR or a budget to allow the United States Government to remain open and functioning.

Obamacare is a side issue drawn into the budget issue by the House Republicans.

Speaker Boehner has to allow a vote in the House now on a clean CR. The American people need to know if the votes are there to reopen the government now. Speaker Boehner is denying Americans the knowledge of how their Representative in the House would vote on the clean CR today - literally today.

The comments are on topic. It's about the budget and budget deficits. You said Obamacare is modeled after Romneycare in Mass., and I showed you that Mass. also is going broke.

How many government entitities are you willing to bankrupt? This thread is about the budget, deficits and raising the debt ceiling, you know.

No government has endless amounts of money to spend. The Republicans want a budget and some spending cutting. With the national debt about to hit 17 tril and climbing, I'm on their side.

When do we stop the Obama out of control, no budget deficit spending? When the debt is 50 trillion? When the interest on the debt alone exceeds all federal income? If not now, when?

Massachusetts is not going broke - you are wrong again and off and running again with more wild and irresponsible statements.

It's off topic if you were to analyze the budget and debt of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the financial records of the state health care program initiated by then Governor Willard Mitt Romney. You'd be off on a tangent again, off on another bent that very likely would be fruitless to you. Again, you'd be off topic to attempt such an accountant's errand.

Hysteria about the national debt does not contribute well to the national dialogue of the issue. A record of posts that are consistently hysterical concerning the issue is noted.

I reiterate, the Affordable Care Act is modeled on the programs in Massachusetts and in Switzerland. Neither is reporting any of the long train of horrors you are sure you foresee so clearly and with such certainty concerning Obamacare, i.e., the Affordable Care Act. I'd suggest you try to calm down, get rational, look at the record and the versatile applicability of programs of this nature.

Most of all, take off the blinders of absolutist ideology.

• Like 1

The US is in a 17 trillion dollar hole and the Republicans want to stop digging. What they are doing is exercising their power under the constitution to stop spending until a reasonable spending level is agreed on.

It is the Democratically controlled Senate, and the Democrat President who refuse to propose a budget or to negotiate on spending in direct disobedience to the law which requires the House to vote on the Senate's (non existent) budget.

The Republicans are following the law. The Democrats aren't. Obama is showing NO leadership, either.

Since at least one on this thread is often citing the rule of law, I thought I'd respectfully expand on your very timely post (from the Wiki, link is below, emphasis mine):

"Power of the purse, generally

Article I, Section 9, Clause 7 imposes accountability on Congressional spending:

No money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.

The first half of this clause indicates that Congress must have appropriated by law the funds to be spent before the funds can be released from the Treasury. It serves as a powerful check of the legislature on the executive branch, as it further secures Congress's power of the purse. This provision, when also combined with the bicameral nature of Congress and the quorum requirements of both the Senate and the House of Representatives, serves as a constitutional check and balance on the legislature itself, preventing most spending that in effect does not implicitly have broad support with respect to both representational popular will in the House of Representatives and inter-regional approval in the Senate.

No money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxing_and_Spending_Clause

I get the distinct impression that President Obama does not appreciate being checked by Congress. Especially when the intent is to check his signature legislation. Hey, but maybe that's just me.

Tell Speaker Boehner to reverse his position to instead allow the full House of Representatives to vote now, to vote today, on a clean CR.

We the People need to know with certainty whether the votes exist to end this debacle now, today, by funding the government so it can immediately reopen to resume its vital operations.

We the People need to know with certainty how our Representative in the House will vote on the question now, today, asap, no delay, no excuses, no bullshit from Boehner who wants this crisis to continue endlessly.

Let the House vote now, today, on a clean CR.

Tell ya what. YOU send Boehner an email demanding that. I'm sure he'll listen to you. Tell him he's breaking the law. I'm sure you'll scare the crap out of him, LOL.

He just hasn't heard from you yet, so surely he's confused as to what is required of him haha. smile.png

I said first for you to do it. You said it only after I'd said it first. tongue.png

IMHO,the government has made a fool of itself for over a week now, But, Speaker of the House John Boehner reportedly told several worried Republican moderates that he will not permit the US to default on its debt on 17 October. If he said that and meant it, then Obama need only stand firm. That seems to be what he is inclined to do anyway. He'll get what he wants without having to give up anything. It is really a sad state of affairs.

You brought it up and it's relevant. What is the House concerned about? Burgeoning debt.

So what would happen to you if you spent much more each year than you take in, year after year, and put the difference on your credit cards? How long could you keep that up, especially if you were spending 50% more each year than your income and instead of having savings you had rapidly increasing debt?

Now explain to me how long the Federal Government can keep that up.

Then explain to me why it isn't reasonable for those who are ultimately responsible for spending shouldn't at some point balk and want some spending limits.

Then explain to me why Obama and Reid refuse to negotiate at all, and insist on keeping things as they are, blowing through a 17 trillion dollar debt as is it wasn't even there.

Obama has increased the US debt more than any president in history, refuses to consider any spending reductions or negotiations, and appears to me to actually want a financial crisis from which the government could gain more control.

Obama is acting like a <deleted> dictator.

Right on the mark! thumbsup.gif

The out-of-control spending of the Democrats needs to stop and they do not have the will to do it themselves. They do not have the fortitude to tell their many special interest groups that they cannot have their usual handouts and "free-lunches" anymore.

It is Obama and Reid that refuse to negotiate and insist on continuing the shutdown going on. Instead of acting like a US President, Obama is acting more like a vain and petulant child. The People's Representatives did not meekly submit to his out-of-control spending and Obama is in temper-tantrum mode.

Obama, determined to make the citizens "feel the pain" of the shutdown, mimics a spoiled child that hasn't gotten his way. He orders that WW2 veterans be denied access to their memorial. He has the Park Service deliberately block off existing parking spaces on an existing open road. Truly pathetic!

• Like 2

A post which appears to violate fair use policy has been deleted.

Please be clear about what you are quoting and the source and what comments are either your own or come from a different source.

Saying Prez Obama is a "<deleted> dictator" is extreme and out of bounds. It makes genuine and calm discourse a challenge.

This is not about Barack Hussein Obama - it is about the United States of America.

The hysterical rhetoric of the present is no different from the hysterical rhetoric of Republicans against the Social Security Act of 1935, the Medicare Act of 1965 and the Medicaid Act of 1965. Republican party hysteria over each vital development asserted the sky was falling.

Now that the Affordable Care Act of 2010 is law - Obamacare - the sky is again falling.

Always when a Democrat is president.

So there's no longer much left to discuss.

The most important thing presently is to vote now in the House to pass a clean CR. Speaker Boehner needs to reverse himself to instead allow the House to vote on a clean CR. The country deserves a vote on the question so the government can reopen and resume its normal everyday operations. The public, the voters, need to know how our Representative we elected to the House votes on this issue.

And it would defeat the agenda of the radical right.

Unfortunately, Speaker of the House John Boehner reportedly told several worried Republican moderates that he will not permit the US to default on its debt on 17 October. If he said that and meant it, then Obama need only stand firm. That seems to be what he is inclined to do anyway. He'll get what he wants without having to give up anything. It is really a sad state of affairs.

• Like 2

It is Obama that is acting like a petulant child with his "make the people feel the pain" policy of using selective "shutdowns" and selectively denying access to public facilities.

The families of slain military personnel are being denied the benefits to help cover funeral expenses by the Obama administration. It is a crime.

Unreasonable radical right rhetoric.

The government hasn't any money and is closed down because the Republicans in the House will not - today - vote on a clean CR so the government can reopen because it would be funded by the Congress.

The president can't fund the government. The Constitution provides that only the Congress can raise or appropriate funds. Which is why the House Republican Speaker John Boehner needs to reverse his position to instead allow a vote today, now, on a clean CR.

I'm sorry, He and John Boehner are acting like 2 year old children! You can't play with my toys unless you give me one of yours! Utter BS! He knows that if he does nothing Boehner will give in and he will be able to play with all of his toys without giving up anything. He doesn't give a s**t who is hurt in the meantime, and I did vote for him so I have no defense!

Sen Reid and Sen McCain, among other senators, spoke today on the Senate floor about this shameful failure of the government, i.e., its inability due to its being closed down, to provide the funds to each family of the 14 US military personnel killed in conflicts abroad since the government was shut down.

Each death "benefit" is $100,000 tax free. But the Congress has failed to provide any kind of budget funding to the US Government. So closed it remains.

Payment is impossible until the Congress adopts a budget of some kind.

Sen Reid and Sen McCain, among other senators, spoke today on the Senate floor about this shameful failure of the government, i.e., its inability due to its being closed down, to provide the funds to each family of the 14 US military personnel killed in conflicts abroad since the government was shut down.

Each death "benefit" is $100,000 tax free. But the Congress has failed to provide any kind of budget funding to the US Government. So closed it remains.

Denying the veteran's benefits that you speak of and a number of other items is a tactic of Obama. It is one more clear example of how Obama consistently puts his political goals ahead of the needs of the nation and the future of our people.
The article below gives a clear picture of the crass political tactics of Obama and the Democrats.
----------------------------------------------------------
"President Obama told reporters he opposes passage of limited funding measures in order to keep "political pressure" on Republicans as he pushes for approval of a bill to fund Obamacare and the rest of the federal government."
"What you've seen are bills that come up where wherever Republicans are feeling political pressure, they put a bill forward," Obama replied when CBS's Mark Knoller asked why he opposes funding for programs such as Head Start, FEMA and the Department of Veterans Affairs."
  • Like 2

Denying the veteran's benefits that you speak of and a number of other items is a tactic of Obama. It is one more clear example of how Obama consistently puts his political goals ahead of the needs of the nation and the future of our people.
The article below gives a clear picture of the crass political tactics of Obama and the Democrats.
----------------------------------------------------------
"President Obama told reporters he opposes passage of limited funding measures in order to keep "political pressure" on Republicans as he pushes for approval of a bill to fund Obamacare and the rest of the federal government."
"What you've seen are bills that come up where wherever Republicans are feeling political pressure, they put a bill forward," Obama replied when CBS's Mark Knoller asked why he opposes funding for programs such as Head Start, FEMA and the Department of Veterans Affairs."

The quote doesn't support your claim, which comes from the radical right which will say anything.

I found this to be an interesting read:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/08/opinion/gingrich-poll-shutdown-blame/index.html

Especially this part:

Sixty-two percent said they had negative feelings about the Republican leaders during that conflict, compared with only 49% about Clinton.

This is not to say the shutdowns were a strategic mistake. Quite the opposite: The enormous progress we made afterward -- four consecutive balanced budgets, welfare reform, the first tax cut in 16 years -- was a direct result of Republicans standing firm in 1995 and early 1996. It proved to Clinton, and more importantly to the country, that we were serious about the ideas we had run on in 1994. As a consequence, we were the first re-elected Republican majority in the House since 1928.

In the long run, in other words, the shutdowns didn't do us any damage, a fact Gallup documented recently.

• Like 1

You don't have a clue as to what is really going on. You keep saying the government is "closed" and you seem to be the only one using that description. Maybe you should do some research to determine what is actually occurring. I understand that would probably be difficult for you. Here's a Forbes article. Alas, you probably believe that Forbes is a mouthpiece for a conspiracy by some "Neo-Confederate/Radical Republicans" (and maybe they are):

We Are Shutting Down Only Thirteen Percent of the Government (At Most) *

Eighty cents out of every federal non-defense dollar represents a transfer from taxpayer to recipient. Entitlement transfers do not require annual Congressional approval. They can be changed only by entitlement reform, which is not on the table. We cannot, therefore “shut down” a federal government whose primary business is income redistribution.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2013/10/03/we-are-shutting-down-only-thirteen-percent-of-the-government-at-most/

As far as funding for the families of recent war casualties by the DoD goes, it appears as though the DoD went on a "spending spree" of some 5.5 billion just before the shutdown:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101085249

And the DoD can't come up with the relative "pocket change" for those families?

Give us a break!

* - In my research, the term: partial shutdown is commonly used. It seems more accurate/descriptive to me.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

My conclusion since a few years is that the USA is completely bankrupt.

It can not be fixed.

The country is so deep in debt for so many years that it is completely unsustainable.

So it does not matter if the debt ceiling is raised.

It does not make the problem much bigger, the problem is already enormous, it just delays a complete breakdown and collapse.

So the only choice is, do we have a collapse now, or later.

Count on a last minute debt ceiling raise, just in time.

It is just like tv series, every day has to end with a cliffhanger to keep people scared, confused and hoping for a solution.

The Affordable Care Act is law, ideology notwithstanding

The ACA went through the required legislative process. There's an old saying that two things people don't want to see made are sausages and laws. I can confirm there's a good deal of truth to that.

Reopen the government unconditionally.

Proceed by regular order.

Let's have some rule of law here.

Signed: Barack H. Obama

(Now let me get back to my other Executive Orders, I'm backlogged and I've promised some folks changes to my ... ahhhh ... signature legislation (wink, wink) by today ... )

Is the president saying the same?

My, my, what a coincidence biggrin.png .

You don't have a clue as to what is really going on. You keep saying the government is "closed" and you seem to be the only one using that description. Maybe you should do some research to determine what is actually occurring. I understand that would probably be difficult for you. Here's a Forbes article. Alas, you probably believe that Forbes is a mouthpiece for a conspiracy by some "Neo-Confederate/Radical Republicans" (and maybe they are):

We Are Shutting Down Only Thirteen Percent of the Government (At Most)

Eighty cents out of every federal non-defense dollar represents a transfer from taxpayer to recipient. Entitlement transfers do not require annual Congressional approval. They can be changed only by entitlement reform, which is not on the table. We cannot, therefore “shut down” a federal government whose primary business is income redistribution.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2013/10/03/we-are-shutting-down-only-thirteen-percent-of-the-government-at-most/

As far as funding for the families of recent war casualties by the DoD goes, it appears as though the DoD went on a "spending spree" of some 5.5 billion just before the shutdown:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101085249

And the DoD can't come up with the relative "pocket change" for those families?

Give us a break!

You don't know?!

800,000 federal employees were "furloughed" beginning October 1st, the beginning of the new fiscal year, when the Congress failed to provide funding of the US Government.

They're back on the job since Congress took action to assure the 800,000 would be paid retroactively when all of this circus blows over and the Congress finally does vote to fund the US Government.

BTW, given you're also shooting your mouth off recklessly about Forbes magazine and myself, I read Forbes regularly, Gordon Chang's regular column especially.

Here is the "one" of a "one - two" combo Obama political show this week. Again this aptly shows Obama political priorities. And it shows how the Obama-Reid shutdown is just more politics for Obama and the Democrats.

The Obama administration has the Park Service deny WW2 veterans access to their memorial. It's "shut down". Even though it's an open air memorial.

The rules are different for Obama's political allies. A pro-illegal immigration group is allowed to hold a rally on the National Mall. Obama's Park Service has different rules for Obama's political allies.

----------------------------------------------

"Even though isolated barricades with "closed" signs remained on the National Mall on Tuesday, the setup for the immigration reform rally said otherwise."

"A giant stage with lights and an "Immigration Reform Now" banner was set up in the center of the mall, along with three large portable screens. On one side of the mall, more than 100 porta potties were set up for protesters who will attend the rally today."

"As several groups of musicians performed sound checks, a lone National Park Service employee arrived to survey the scene, but referred me to the Park Service communications office and left when I asked her why she was called into work today."

• Like 1

Here is the "two" of the Obama political show this week. Note the connection between the rally and march (with special permission) of Obama's political allies and Obama's next grand pronunciamento to the House of Representatives.

Surprise! Obama wants the House of Representatives to given in to his orders and move on to Immigration Reform.

Special access to federal facilities is allowed for Obama favored groups to conduct a "rally" and "march" so that it can be used for Obama's crass political purposes. The Obama-Reid Shutdown sinks to a new low.

Once again, we see how the Obama/Democrat political machine and lack of integrity go hand in hand.

Parts of government operations are "shutdown" to make citizens feel the pain solely for the political use of Obama and the Democrats.

And other parts are not "shutdown", again solely for the political use of Obama and the Democrats.

---------------------------------------------------

"The White House on Tuesday called on House Republicans to quickly reopen the government and turn their attention to overhauling the nation's immigration laws."

"The push came after pro-immigration reform advocates marched in Washington on the National Mall earlier in the day to urge Congress to take up the issue."

"The enthusiastic demonstration of support for immigration reform this week has proven to Congress that the broad coalition behind commonsense solutions to our nation’s broken immigration laws is as strong as it has ever been," said the White House in a statement."

• Like 2

Isn't it that the GOP'ers who are leading this charge are the ones who really don't believe in government at all? As such, they've kinda gotten what they want already.

One thing that interests me though, if they don't care much for government provided healthcare, surely they've already torn up the coverage provided by congress?