• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LESE MAJESTY LAW

Sondhi convicted for royal offence

30216039-01_big.jpg

Sondhi

BANGKOK: -- Sondhi Limthongkul, former leader of defunct People's Alliance for Democracy has been sentenced to serve two years in jail for offending the monarchy in 2008.

The guilty verdict and sentencing came after the Appeals Court overturned the lower court's verdict of acquittal last year.

The appellate review was based on Sondhi's remarks quoting lese majeste convict Daranee "Da Torpedo" Chanchoengsilapakul.

The appellate decision cited Sondhi's lack of caution in spreading the offending remarks as ground to penalise him.

Sondhi has been granted bail pending the final review by the Supreme Court.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-01

Not really. He was convicted of repeating a comment made by someone else. I mean honestly, the legal system of Thailand does continue to cover itself in poop. Maybe they should convict everyone who heard it also. Beyond that, what about people who thought about it afterwards. And then, those that tried not to think about it, but inadvertantly, found themselves thinking about it?

It's akin to The Life of Brian, where the guy is to be stoned for saying the word "Jehovah"....!

I wonder how they dealt with the reading of the charge in court...? You are charged with saying something that we cannot say, else we should be stoned too....!

Sounds like a job for Sir Humphrey Appleby. smile.png

Yes, bail does not seem to be available for lesser mortals on the same charges.

I don't know anyone on the same charges (repeating what someone else said). All the others were "original" speaker.

Soooooo absurd.

Was the statement deemed illegal when he said it?

Justice PTP style.

The whole lese majeste thing is nonsense. Will the woman sue sondhi for copyright on her statement also. Repeating a statement before it is deemed illegal is illegal?????????????

How did the person who made the charge relate it to the policeman? Hope they didn't say it because they could be charged also......

Well in this case, if she would have said the same thing in any other country about any other person, she would be in troubles as well. Not under lese majeste law, but under other laws...it was more than "offending".

Soooooo absurd.

Justice PTP style.

Actually NO. The PTP are trying to remove the LM laws. Next time get your facts straight.

along with the independence of the courts, whilst enforcing their own strict controls on speech and social media.

Edited by Baerboxer

Soooooo absurd.

Justice PTP style.
Actually NO. The PTP are trying to remove the LM laws. Next time get your facts straight.

Actually, no, PTP has done SFA regarding the LM laws, let alone trying to remove them.

Please engage brain before putting mouth into gear

Sondhi is out on bail for other charges besides this one. Anyone kept count on just how many years in total he has been sentenced to and the number of cases he is out on bail awaiting appeal for? Must be four at least.

I was wondering the same thing.

This guy has been through a lot. Remember the mob of assassins who shot up his car with machine guns? He took a bullet glaze across his scull? I seem to recall the bullets were the same ones used in military arms. Given the amount of ordinance that goes missing and his political leanings, it would appear they were not the military. or at least not regular military. or at least serving military.

You need to do your homework.It is an open secret which military elements were involved and who they were linked to.Don't be under the misapprehension that all those who share an enemy are friends.

Interesting that he got bail

He showed up for sentencing which is a bit more than I can say for a certain Red Bull heir.

Or a former business partner of the now convicted Sondhi, who is still out of the coutry several years after his jail time would have been completed.

Wonder if Sondhi will apply to attend a major sporting event? Winter Olympics this coming year, maybe he can swing an invite to the opening ceremony and have to attend to keep Thailand's profile up.

Insults aside...

By all means, provide a citation showing were PTP has vowed to remove the LM laws or done anything at all to that end.

I think when they can use it against their enemies they are happy with it. Now it is unusual silent from the red shirts....

• Like 1

This is the Thai legal system?

God help anyone who finds themselves in it - and the Thais say their system of justice is like the Western systems - really it is beyond stupid - way beyond it. The best legal minds ....... abandon ship!

Oh - Come Invest In Democratic Thailand - we have a wonderful legal system - you can trust us to take care of your money. What a bunch of %^&*^YT*&^%'s

• Like 1

Much as I dislike England, at least we have real freedom of speech there ( as watchers of Have I Got News For You will be well aware of ). The king himself has said that he should be open to criticism yet if anyone dares to they are arrested and thrown in jail. And of course none of us have any idea what he said that was so bad as if anyone dares to repeat it they will also be sent to prison. Very absurd !!

Insults aside...

By all means, provide a citation showing were PTP has vowed to remove the LM laws or done anything at all to that end.

Not my job to do your research if you are uninformed

• Like 1

LESE MAJESTY LAW

Sondhi convicted for royal offence

30216039-01_big.jpg

Sondhi

BANGKOK: -- Sondhi Limthongkul, former leader of defunct People's Alliance for Democracy has been sentenced to serve two years in jail for offending the monarchy in 2008.

The guilty verdict and sentencing came after the Appeals Court overturned the lower court's verdict of acquittal last year.

The appellate review was based on Sondhi's remarks quoting lese majeste convict Daranee "Da Torpedo" Chanchoengsilapakul.

The appellate decision cited Sondhi's lack of caution in spreading the offending remarks as ground to penalise him.

Sondhi has been granted bail pending the final review by the Supreme Court.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-01

Not really. He was convicted of repeating a comment made by someone else. I mean honestly, the legal system of Thailand does continue to cover itself in poop. Maybe they should convict everyone who heard it also. Beyond that, what about people who thought about it afterwards. And then, those that tried not to think about it, but inadvertantly, found themselves thinking about it?

It's akin to The Life of Brian, where the guy is to be stoned for saying the word "Jehovah"....!

I wonder how they dealt with the reading of the charge in court...? You are charged with saying something that we cannot say, else we should be stoned too....!

Exactly. It is almost to a word out of NottheNation, where it would be deemed lese majeste, to discuss lese majeste.

Sondhi is an idiot but he won't go to prison because he is well connected. Da Torpedo has no powerful friends so she will stay there. Meanwhile Amnesty refuse to address the obvious problem because they are sucking up to the right people.

• Like 1

Soooooo absurd.

Justice PTP style.

The whole lese majeste thing is nonsense. Will the woman sue sondhi for copyright on her statement also. Repeating a statement before it is deemed illegal is illegal?????????????

How did the person who made the charge relate it to the policeman? Hope they didn't say it because they could be charged also......

Well in this case, if she would have said the same thing in any other country about any other person, she would be in troubles as well. Not under lese majeste law, but under other laws...it was more than "offending".

You are missing the point completely.

They have created a complete legal circular reference.

Insults aside...

So no facts to support your comments then?

(insults =/= facts by the way)

Insults aside...

So no facts to support your comments then?

(insults =/= facts by the way)

Many - but I am not your assistant - easy comment for a lazy uninformed person. Does not mean it is true. Not wasting any more time trying to educate you. Cheers

Soooooo absurd.

Justice PTP style.

Yingluck has already said PT has no intention of changing the LM law.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is going to be interesting to see if he gets bail. The red lot don't ever get it.

You gotta' be referring to a different "red lot" than the one

I've been watching get bail again and again blink.png