130,000 car buyers not yet asking for tax rebate

webfact

FIRST-CAR BUYER SCHEME
130,000 car buyers not yet asking for tax rebate

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- About 130,000 individuals buying vehicles under the first-car buyer scheme have not yet exercised their rights for an excise tax rebate, according to the Excise Department.

Jumpol Rimsakorn, an advisor to the department, also revealed that to date about 20,000 have cancelled their rights.

He said that among the 130,000 who have reserved vehicles under the scheme, there is a possibility that some are waiting for delivery while others may have thrown away the booking.

He said that some made bookings at more than one dealer.

The department will send SMS to them, asking for confirmation if they still want to exercise the rights. This is to help the department estimate the exact cost of the scheme, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-01

No SMS and hope they would all forget,we're talking about 13Billion Baht for the Gov to come up with, between the rice debacle and maybe an up and coming rubber problem and quick let's borrow 2.2 Trillion.Selling future generations down the road. Mr T had nothing on these guys when it comes to populist policies.Short sighted,economically inept plebs.. .

• Like 2

My boyfriend was told he would receive the rebate money in June, July, August, then Sept, then calling the Excise Office to confirm the pay date of 9 Sept, he was told that 'HE WAS A DEAD PERSON' in their computer system, and that HE would have to go to Pattaya City Hall with 2 Thai nationals to present himself, confirm HE IS NOT DEAD, apply for a Certified Letter to say, yep, NOT DEAD.....Then we went back to Excise Office to give the Pattaya City Hall Letter, and now, it's....." Letter have to go to BKK Office................................."

• Like 2

The process was very easy, I purchased and received my car January 2012, got my White plates by February 2012, submitted the paperwork in August 2012 and received the SMS and transfer of the 100,000 thb in my account on February 2013. It was exactly 1 year from the date I registered my car. No hassle or any problems just and SMS confirming the money was transferred to my account.

Great to read your Post, gives me some hope!!

My boyfriend was told he would receive the rebate money in June, July, August, then Sept, then calling the Excise Office to confirm the pay date of 9 Sept, he was told that 'HE WAS A DEAD PERSON' in their computer system, and that HE would have to go to Pattaya City Hall with 2 Thai nationals to present himself, confirm HE IS NOT DEAD, apply for a Certified Letter to say, yep, NOT DEAD.....Then we went back to Excise Office to give the Pattaya City Hall Letter, and now, it's....." Letter have to go to BKK Office................................."

That 'Unique Thainess' rears its head again. Why make things easy when you can have so much fun screwing things up and making it as difficult as possible...?

• Like 1

Ok, I'm caught off guard. I thought the proceedure was automatic. I guess (hope) the reason I'm waiting after one year is we haven't submitted the proper paperwork? I actually thought all the paperwork was submitted when we bought the truck from Chevy. Does anybody know the exact proceedure?

Does this rebate have a time limit or expire?

I bought my car in 2011... I sure hate to think I missed out on a tax rebate.considering the price of the car.

The title of this post suggest that maybe it's not too late for the rebate, if not where/how do I apply for it?

That 'Unique Thainess' rears its head again. Why make things easy when you can have so much fun screwing things up and making it as difficult as possible...?

Oh, this brightened up my day... 100% distilled Thai bureaucracy never ceases to confound, amaze and amuse... although the idea of a Rambo style killing spree with a couple of M60's in their ivory tower also comes to mind rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

Yes, I would have to go outside for a smoke break on hearing that my documents can't be processed since I'm dead. Silliness in the extreme, and reminds me of Mark Twain's quote "reports of my death are highly exaggerated"

So, as much as it is all so very silly, it should be remembered that one can't argue with the Mandarin's logic, primarily because they don't give a sh#t, and secondly because some other big wig higher up the bamboo tree makes the rules. Thus after muttering a mai-pen-rai chant for 5 minutes with smoke coming out my ears, its back to the grind of preparing the bits of paper and they want, so they can give me the pieces of paper I want.wai.gif

Bigotry solves nothing. This sort of problem happens outside of Thailand I would imagine. I don't come from a perfect place where everything goes as I like it and I would guess no one else does. "Thainess" has no bearing on this other than that is where we choose to live.

sms 747, yes it applies. Chevy is made in Thailand, basically an Isuzu with a different skin, or vice versa. 2.8 liter engine and under 1 mil. baht. 88,000 baht coming back, with any luck at all. Still don't know the problem, but it seems that those that receive the rebate, get it on time or early and if it doesn't come on time, you may never get, and this from friends of the wife.

If you submitted the application properly then everything is automatic. There was a website set up by the relevant government agency where you registered with your Thai ID. Once you were registered you filled out all the forms electronically online on their site and basically you couldn't progress until the system registered that each step was completed properly. Once you finished, it had you verify all the answers were correct, then it sent you a copy to your email and told you to print out a copy and mail it to ........... address and that you would receive the money 1 year from the date you registered as the cars owner.

I took delivery of my pickup on 1st may 2012 got the number plates October 2012 and received the rebate in June 2013 which was a lot less problems than getting the number plate

Same for us. 6 months to get the car due to the flooding and another 7 months to get the plates but the rebate was no problem at all.

what a great planning for bangkok, which is locked since many years with cars

to add a few hundred thousand more

that money should have been used to create more / better public transport

I agree that it would have been better to base the rebate on buying a new car and scrapping an old one as in the UK, US ect.

You might be surprised to learn that a few cars were also supplied outside of Bangkok as well. I'll admit though that many are being used as chicken coops and rice stores as we can't figure out how to attach the ox to it so it won't go anywhere.

Just to save some people a lot of time the previous paragraph is sarcasm.

I just got a horrible feeling reading one of these posts that we might have had the money back a few months ago and the mrs might have said nothing to me about it, I know she got 100k deposited from somewhere. Is there an easy way to find out if you have had the rebate. checking the reg number online, or can you get somebody to do it for you? We always seem to end up in an argument over financial matters, so I'd rather check first before asking her about it if possible.

I just got a horrible feeling reading one of these posts that we might have had the money back a few months ago and the mrs might have said nothing to me about it, I know she got 100k deposited from somewhere. Is there an easy way to find out if you have had the rebate. checking the reg number online, or can you get somebody to do it for you? We always seem to end up in an argument over financial matters, so I'd rather check first before asking her about it if possible.

I don't know the answer to your question but I suspect there isn't an easy way for you to find out.

On the plus side if you can't find out just by asking her I'm not sure how you'd be better off if you knew without asking her. Sounds like a lose lose situation to me.

Anyway best of luck and hide the knives.

does a chevy count? I thought it had to be a car made in Thailand max 1.5 engine

Chevy's are built in Rayong as sgtsabai says and the 1.5 is for the maximum refund. The percentage reduces above 1.5 but I don't know the figures.

Did the 'mrs' put up the B100,000 from her own funds or did you pony up the money.

If you paid, then it's time for a sit down talk. You have a problem re trust.

160,000 cancellations, but only 130,000 unclaimed rebates. That's 30,000 rebates paid out fir cars not bought?

My brother in law bought a Mitsubishi Sh!T (that economy car thing), insisting he was getting 100,000 Baht back. After using it to do house renovations, he only got 60,000 or so back. From talking to people, it really seemed like everyone was expecting a big 100 big ones rebate, nobody mentioned the "up to" bit.