US Embassy in Bangkok still open despite US's shutdown

webfact

US SHUTDOWN
US Embassy in Bangkok still open despite US's shutdown

30216065-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The US Embassy in Bangkok on Tuesday announced that the embassy and the Consulate General in Chiang Mai remain open to the public as the US government began its first partial shutdown in 17 years after Congress failed to break a partisan deadlock by a midnight deadline.

The embassy issued a statement in its facebook; U.S. Embassy Bangkok, saying that all consular services, including visa processing, are also open for public.

"The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and Consulate General Chiang Mai remain open to the public. As always, our priorities remain providing safety, security, and service to U.S. citizens. We are open for all consular services, including visa processing," read the statement.

The shutdown idled as many as 800,000 federal employees, closed national parks and halted some services.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-01

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

U.S. Consulates are primarily funded through user fees versus appropriations from Congress so the govt shutdown will probably have little affect on most of their operations. And any consulate folks who may be funded by direct appropriations are probably exempted (i.e, considered essential) and must continue to work as normal...no furloughs or missed paychecks for them.

Are you saying that the salaries for everyone stationed there and locals, security, benefits, perqs, and t & e for dinners, cocktail parties, travel..etc are covered by "user fees?" That's a preposterous consideration.

U.S. Consulates are primarily funded through user fees versus appropriations from Congress so the govt shutdown will probably have little affect on most of their operations. And any consulate folks who may be funded by direct appropriations are probably exempted (i.e, considered essential) and must continue to work as normal...no furloughs or missed paychecks for them.

That's a preposterous consideration.

Why? it's accurate.

Because consular services at U.S. embassies and consulates around the world are largely funded by application fees, not annual appropriations, visa applications filed by foreigners wanting to enter the United States will continue to be processed, according to the State Department.

CNN.com

• Like 1

"As always, our priorities remain providing safety, security, and service to U.S. citizens. We are open for all consular services, including visa processing,"

At $50 for notary services and $80 to have more pages put in your passport, The U.S. can't afford to close this cash cow. As for providing "safety" and "security" I don't feel any saver or more secure knowing they are still open.

Ain't that the truth

The sign should say: "As always, our priorities remain providing safety, security, service and abuse to U.S. citizens." The U.S. Embassy is the absolutely worst place I've ever been in Thailand. The Thais staff is okay,but the Americans in there are utter and arrogant <deleted>. The officers in there were so rude and abusive that I thought I was back in the U.S. I shudder to even think about it.

You get an A+ grade in defining the referred to establishment

"As always, our priorities remain providing safety, security, and service to U.S. citizens. We are open for all consular services, including visa processing,"

At $50 for notary services and $80 to have more pages put in your passport, The U.S. can't afford to close this cash cow. As for providing "safety" and "security" I don't feel any saver or more secure knowing they are still open.

Ain't that the truth

Trillions of dollars in debt to the Rothchilds & Goldman-Sachs, there are becoming few options to collect; the embassy operation has to continue since other means are quickly falling apart.

• Like 1

They wouldn't want to close. There are too may Thais working there. All Thai security.

If there were Americans working there they would close it down.

You haven't a clue what you are talking about = Shut Updry.png

• Like 1

That's a preposterous consideration.

Why? it's accurate.

Because consular services at U.S. embassies and consulates around the world are largely funded by application fees, not annual appropriations, visa applications filed by foreigners wanting to enter the United States will continue to be processed, according to the State Department.

CNN.com

HAHA You actually watch Communist News Network? then use it to source your facts? lmao

RT and Aljazeera is what you need to watch.

• Like 1

They wouldn't want to close. There are too may Thais working there. All Thai security.

You haven't a clue what you are talking about = Shut Updry.png

So your saying the American Embassy doesn't employee local security guards?

Funny, when i drove past the other day.. low and behold Thai security guards.

But hay, we wouldn't expect a person who uses "69" humor in their online handles to have anything serious to say..

I hope America falls flat on her face like the USSR...

How can you not afford to keep your government open, but have enough cash to fight false flag wars?

coffee1.gifviolin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gif

Except the us hasn't run out of money (or rather, people willing to lend them money), just disagreement on where the money should go. But hey, continue to sprout out your ignorance to the world. Btw I find it ironic that you call CNN communist but cite Russia Today as a credible news source when they literally have not reported a single news item which paints russia inca negative light and have been calling for a US collapse since 2008

Yeap...predominately user fees...that's why many of the user fees are kinda healthy in size like a simple notary action...$50 per document notarized.

Sent from my Onda V971 tablet

Bingo! My thought as well. Not going to close down that cash cow :)

The sign should say: "As always, our priorities remain providing safety, security, service and abuse to U.S. citizens." The U.S. Embassy is the absolutely worst place I've ever been in Thailand. The Thais staff is okay,but the Americans in there are utter and arrogant <deleted>. The officers in there were so rude and abusive that I thought I was back in the U.S. I shudder to even think about it.

Gee, I can only guess where you are from. I however was at the Embassy just a few months ago to renew my passport (being one of those rude, American <deleted> that I am) and the staff was polite and professional and quick. I was in and out of there in just minutes (mind you I made and appointment online prior). I even sent an e-mail of thanks for their help and quick processing of my new passport as it was ready a day early.

• Like 1

"As always, our priorities remain greasing the skids for multinational corporations, providing cover for CIA, DEA, CPB, FBI, IRS, NSA and (?), and doing as little as possible for ordinary lowlife American citizens."

I've been treated decently at the American Consulate in CM, for routine matters like income statements, notary services, etc. Never been to the Embassy in Bangkok, but the one in KL Malaysia did all right by me, no complaints.

My only complaint about this shutdown is none of the above-named agencies will be affected at all. This is what we get when know-nothing Tea party dickheads, financed by evil entities like the Koch Crime family, are voted in by Fox News addicts. Pitiful.

• Like 2

actually there are hundreds of Americans working at the US Embassy in BKK. I would think many more American employees than Thai.

There's nothing wrong with using locals to provide at least gate security. The days of having US Marines guarding the door are long gone. I'm sure the USMC could get there quite quickly if the poop rains down. Semper Fi. And May God Continue to Bless America AND Thailand. Amen.

I hope America falls flat on her face like the USSR...

How can you not afford to keep your government open, but have enough cash to fight false flag wars?

coffee1.gifviolin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gif

Except the us hasn't run out of money (or rather, people willing to lend them money), just disagreement on where the money should go. But hey, continue to sprout out your ignorance to the world. Btw I find it ironic that you call CNN communist but cite Russia Today as a credible news source when they literally have not reported a single news item which paints russia inca negative light and have been calling for a US collapse since 2008

15 trillion in debt- we ran out long ago. The FED is a private corporation that creates further debt. Printed money makes up only 3%...It can't keep going and is destined to collapse is the absolute truth...the globalists just keep it going as they're not yet ready for the global collapse which would hit 24 hours after the dollar would die out. These are the truths which people don't want to acknowledge. This is an example how it cannot be avoided much longer. This is just a sign. Should Obamacare be put into place on the level they want, it is really going tits up fast. One must realize Obama is but a puppet of the global elite- i.e. Rockefellers, Rothschild's, Turners....

• Like 1