What Are These Pop-Ups?

UbonOz

Strange pop-ups with Thai script are coming up and jumping around at the bottom of my screen when I open my browser. It just happened again when I opened TV Forum.

I have used Ctrl+W and the "X" top right of the pop-up to make them go away.

My fear is if I accidentally open one it could put malware or a virus on my laptop.

I am using Google Chrome on Windows 7.

Anyway to stop these?

Thanks for any advice.

A post removed due to this forum rule:

11) Our contracts with our advertisers prohibit comments with regard to advertisements which appear on our forums. Such comments should not be posted and will be removed. Discussion of software or other methods to block advertisements is not allowed.

I've got the exact same problem, had it for past three days, driving me crazy. If you click on any part it will open up, even clicking the cross in the corner. I would have thought the rapid flickering could give some people seizures. I have had this same problem before, recently I changed to windows 8. Previously had the problem with windows 7. Being a computer dummy doesn't help. While I'm on the subject of windows 8 does anyone know if there is a windows 8 book for dummies available in English in Chiang Mai? I have been to all the big book stores without finding anything in English.

I've got the exact same problem, had it for past three days, driving me crazy. If you click on any part it will open up, even clicking the cross in the corner. I would have thought the rapid flickering could give some people seizures. I have had this same problem before, recently I changed to windows 8. Previously had the problem with windows 7. Being a computer dummy doesn't help. While I'm on the subject of windows 8 does anyone know if there is a windows 8 book for dummies available in English in Chiang Mai? I have been to all the big book stores without finding anything in English.

Here you go, PDF: http://marketing.dell.com/Global/FileLib/Windows_8/windows-8-ebook.pdf

If you must have a hard copy, get it printed up locally.

Sounds like it might be a browser hijack.

Download, install, update and run:

Spybot Search & Destroy

Adaware Free

Before you do that, go to browsercheck.qualys.com

Qalys says Internet Explorere is unsafe, also says no fix. See attachment

Just scanning now with Spybot, it has picked several items, toolbars and other stuff.

I have two laptops, will check them both.

post-150060-0-26983600-1380642745_thumb.

As mentioned by Transam already, Malwarebytes is also a very good program to scan your computer and free as well. I have the paid verion ( well not really biggrin.png ) and that one has real time protection.

Never have a problem with malware or spyware .

Spybot Search & Destroy

Adaware Free

Just finished the Spybot scan.

Opened Chrome>TV Forum and the ad is still jumping around.

Will try Malwarebytes and Adaware tomorrow.

It is 1am, I'm going to bed.

Here you go, PDF: http://marketing.dell.com/Global/FileLib/Windows_8/windows-8-ebook.pdf

If you must have a hard copy, get it printed up locally.

It is obvious you are not a dummy bangkockney, many thanks.

Spybot Search & Destroy

Adaware Free

Just scanning now with Spybot, it has picked several items, toolbars and other stuff.

attachicon.gifQalys.PNG

When was the last time you did a Windows Update? On Win 8 you should have IE 11.

Spybot Search & Destroy

Adaware Free

attachicon.gifQalys.PNG

When was the last time you did a Windows Update? On Win 8 you should have IE 11.

All are up to date.

Still have IE problem in my Post #8.

Spybot Search & Destroy

Adaware Free

attachicon.gifQalys.PNG

All are up to date.

What version of IE have you got that Qualys calls it insecure?

It should be 11.0.9600.xxxxx

Spybot Search & Destroy

Adaware Free

attachicon.gifQalys.PNG

All are up to date.

What version of IE have you got that Qualys calls it insecure?

It should be 11.0.9600.xxxxx

IE11 has not been released for Windows 7.

I have two laptops, one Windows 7 - IE10.0.9200.16686 and one Windows 8 - IE10.0.9200.16688.

Both say they are up to date. I get the same messages on both laptops as in my Post #8.

Last night I found that IE on Windows 7 was coming up when you open with "Hao123", which I managed, hopefully, to remove after reading other websites using "regedit" and finding the files and deleting. The Hao123 did not appear in "Instal/Uninstal"

I have just opened IE on my Windows 8 and "Hao123" is there. I could not believe it, where did it come from, was not there before.

Now trying to find how to "regedit" in Windows 8.

I have not done any browsing to strange sites.

As mentioned by Transam already, Malwarebytes is also a very good program to scan your computer and free as well. I have the paid verion ( well not really biggrin.png ) and that one has real time protection.

Never have a problem with malware or spyware .

I've just run malwarebytes and it found 149 problems, I then restarted the computer and ran malwarebytes again and all the problems were still there, I then looked at things a bit more carefully and saw that you had to tick boxes to get rid of them and then restart, 149 ticks later and I restarted and ran malwarebytes a third time and zero faults showed up, many problems I have been experiencing have disappeared and the computer is running beautifully, better than ever before, it nows starts so fast my eyes barely have time to focus. Thanks to all who suggested these anti spy programmes.

I have not done any browsing to strange sites.

Sadly, these days you don't need to. I see a lot of "valid" sites where links have been hijacked to silently divert you to a malware site to download something nasty.

• Like 1

I still have the IE problem on both laptops, Post #8.

Since using Malwarebytes on the Win 8 laptop I am now getting a pop-up every two minutes saying:

"Successfully blocked access to a potentially malicious website 111.111.111.111."

I am not getting the pop-up on my Win 7 laptop.

I have read M'bytes forum and it says uninstall KMPlayer which I have done, and restarted, still no change.

Since using Malwarebytes on the Win 8 laptop I am now getting a pop-up every two minutes saying:

"Successfully blocked access to a potentially malicious website 111.111.111.111."

I have read M'bytes forum and it says uninstall KMPlayer which I have done, and restarted, still no change.

Are you downloading torrents by any chance or have a torrent program active ?

While downloading torrents you get that message all the time.

By the way did you perform a full scan with malwarebytes as opposed to a quick scan ?

Edited by jbrain

By the way did you perform a full scan with malwarebytes as opposed to a quick scan ?

No, not downloading torrents, no program that I can see.

Yes, I did a full scan, using Spybot and Malwarebyte.

I download torrents all the time and I never get that message.

Just read on another forum where the "Successfully blocked access to a potentially malicious website 111.111.111.111" pop-up can be caused by Skype or a P2P client running.

I do have both on both laptops.

Strangely, Windows 8 laptop has the pop-up, Windows 7 laptop does not.

Might have to just live with it.

Just read on another forum where the "Successfully blocked access to a potentially malicious website 111.111.111.111" pop-up can be caused by Skype or a P2P client running.

I do have both on both laptops.

Strangely, Windows 8 laptop has the pop-up, Windows 7 laptop does not.

Might have to just live with it.

If you want to let it through, just open up Malwarebytes AntiMalware and add the IP address to the Ignore list.