Thailand: Groups back moves to block smoking

webfact

ANTI-SMOKING CAMPAIGN
Groups back moves to block smoking

The Nation

30216080-01_big.jpg?1380671426070

BANGKOK: -- About 450 organisations have combined forces to champion a tobacco-free society and back the Public Health Ministry's move to expand the warning graphic on cigarette packs.

Somsri Paosawat, president of the Health Professional Network for Tobacco-free Thai Society, said yesterday that the health advocacy organisations came together after international tobacco companies tried to stall the ministry's measure to increase the warning pictures to 85 per cent of the packet surface from 55 per cent.

The cigarette makers succeeded in petitioning for an Administrative Court injunction against implementation of |the measure scheduled for today.

Besides campaigning for awareness of the truth about the measure and tobacco's harmful effects on health, the confederation also aims to fight against multinational companies' intervention in state policies.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-02

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Electronic cigarettes are the future. If the governmet unban the sale of liquid nicotine in Thailand it will really take off and potentially replace the cigarette industry.

It's already happening elsewhere. Only recently (last day or two) a huge American tobacco company Lorillard purchased a British e-cigarette company for $49 Million with further large cash payments in a few years time should certain sales targets be met. They are not the first traditional tobacco company to buy up smaller but rapidly growing electronic cigarette manufacturers.

Why ? They know the writing is on the wall and an unstoppable disruption is in motion. It won't be long before we see the first country completely ban cigarettes in favour of e-cigarettes. That first country could well be Australia but only time will tell.

The reason : cigarettes are dying out due to new technology which is of course banned on Thailand.

My prediction is that within the next 5 years or so nearly every smoker will be using electronic cigarettes. People are changing over at an exopnential rate.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

I remember the joy I felt when I went to a huge club/bar in Chicago after they banned smoking everywhere. It was easy to breathe. I had a much better time and I didn't smell like a$$tray after I left. Occasionally I would partake of the evil cigarette when I would drink. Making the other 95% that don't smoke inhale it is just silly. Go outside <deleted>. I would like to see this happen in Thailand. Smoking is not cool anymore. It's is so 2490's (1950's)

• Like 1

Of course electronic cigarettes are just as bad as the real thing......

Raise the price to USD 25.00 like in Oz and a lot less people will smoke.

Just push up the price ? create another illegal market , more crime ? and for Thailand probably more tea money for our dear B.I.B

• Like 2

I remember the joy I felt when I went to a huge club/bar in Chicago after they banned smoking everywhere. It was easy to breathe. I had a much better time and I didn't smell like a$$tray after I left. Occasionally I would partake of the evil cigarette when I would drink. Making the other 95% that don't smoke inhale it is just silly. Go outside <deleted>. I would like to see this happen in Thailand. Smoking is not cool anymore. It's is so 2490's (1950's)

Last time i went to a pub in Amsterdam , the bar was almost empty , no smoking allowed , then i discovered the smoking room all in the back . In there it was partytime it was packed with smokers and non smokers because it had the great old fashion atmospfere .

So if u go to Amsterdam enjoy a boring time at the smokefree bar ;).

since mankind discovered fire they smoke . Before that , they had the papyrusplant and Tobacco , but no fire yet , that must have been a hell of a time .

• Like 2

Excellent, hope one of the most disgusting habits on the planet, forced onto others by no choice of their own, but the selfish narrow mindedness of smokers, is banned somehow forever from public space....all of it...and indoors anywhere.

• Like 2

It should be illegal to smoke in all public places. I get so pissed off with <deleted> blowing their evil death bringing chemicals in my face, I cough on them and tell them off telling them to smoke in their room and keep that crap to themselves. I hate having to run the gauntlet of idiots smoking outside on the way into buildings, this is wrong ! Bars and restaurants should have SEALED OFF smokjng areas IF THEY CHOOSE TO and shopping malls etc. could have designated smoking rooms again if they so choose. All public areas filled with many people a number of whom may not wish to get cancer should be off limits...

Last time i went to a pub in Amsterdam , the bar was almost empty , no smoking allowed , then i discovered the smoking room all in the back . In there it was partytime it was packed with smokers and non smokers because it had the great old fashion atmospfere .

So if u go to Amsterdam enjoy a boring time at the smokefree bar wink.png.

since mankind discovered fire they smoke . Before that , they had the papyrusplant and Tobacco , but no fire yet , that must have been a hell of a time .

That is because in Amsterdam the go to the back bar to smoke Ganja!

I have no problems with smokers, used to smoke myself. More tolerance and consideration on both sides and all would be good.

Absolutely not...take their filthy habit away from everyone.

Smoking rooms everywhere would be good, with windows onto the streets for people to look at and point.

Schools could do field trips past them.

They should pay to enter also so no financial burden to the city.

• Like 1

Spoken like a confirmed wowser.

Tax the things that you don't use; no taxes on the things you like.

Next will be alchohol. It is already underway to a degree.

Governments could set a date and make the sale of tobacco to people born after 1/1/1995 illegal.

Sure there would be ways around it, but it might make the statement that governments are really serious and not just penalising people who became used to the habit when it was the norm. Remember going to the GP and watching him have a smoke?

• Like 1

don't you love the mommies & daddies, walking their children, pushing the buggy, with a cigarette in their hand or mouth ...

enjoying the fresh air

and don't you love those parents smoking and comming near your children

makes my blood boil

Just ban the product.

Like the Americans did with Prohibition you mean?

Yeah, that really worked!

Didn't Kamnam Pho make make a few shekels smuggling cigarettes from Indonesia? Will a ban on tobacco products produce another Godfather? Wasn't prohibition in the US a factor in the emergence of the Kennedy's onto the World stage?

All of which is totally irrelevant to the argument.

Edited by Bagwan

Spoken like a confirmed wowser.

Tax the things that you don't use; no taxes on the things you like.

Next will be alchohol. It is already underway to a degree.

Governments could set a date and make the sale of tobacco to people born after 1/1/1995 illegal.

Sure there would be ways around it, but it might make the statement that governments are really serious and not just penalising people who became used to the habit when it was the norm. Remember going to the GP and watching him have a smoke?

Absolutely not. I love my beer and used to smoke and thought even then that cigarettes should be taxed more. Either way the tax payer pays in the end and if it is for all the healthcare.

You are completely wrong about that... they aren't even close to as bad as the real thing - on several fronts. Where do you get your information?

This is completely untrue, as even cursory use of a search engine would demonstrate.

Electronic cigarettes are essentially portable electric hookas. There is no fire, no ash, no smell to bother non-smokers. A cloud of water vapor is all that is exhaled, and it quickly dissipates. No fire hazard, because there's no fire.

There is no tar in the liquid utilized in e-cigarettes, nor any of the other 7,000 toxic chemicals added to regular cigarettes. These chemicals are designed to make regular cigarettes more addictive; as they aren't present in the liquid smoked in e-cigarettes, it's easier for someone smoking e-cigarettes to stop, if he so chooses. And the tar is what causes lung cancer (and other forms of cancer associated with smoking) - no tar = no cancer.

Personally, I've found that it's generally a good idea to have some actual knowledge of a given topic before opining about it in a public forum. But that's just me . . .

Edited by disambiguated
  • Like 1

As far as I'm concerned this issue is about freedoms. The freedom to smoke on the one hand and the freedom to breathe clean air on the other. (Where in Bangkok, and to a lesser degree in Pattaya you go to breathe clean air I couldn't say.) The gulf between the two parties seems to be unbridgeable, same same between Reds and Yellows. Seems to me that a little tolerance needs to be exercised. What chance of that?

From the health of the population angle wouldn't it be better to apply resources to put an end to smokey diesel vehicles that pollute out of all proportion to cigarette smokers?

• Like 1

smoking tobacco is the most addictive thing I have ever experienced to include a lot of other drugs....I used to suck down two to three packs a day everyday....nicotine is the only thing that would get me to leave my house at 4 am in a snowstorm to go buy more cigs because of the nicotine withdrawals....some rare people seem to be able to smoke a few a day without getting big time hooked but I was not one of them....as they say quitting is easy..I've done in hundreds of times...

FINALLY I got off the damn things about 15 years ago and when I look back on it now I am amazed at how difficult it was to quit....being able to go through a day without ONE time thinking about a cig fix is a WONDERFUL freedom...I used to think about lighting my next one before I had even finished the one I was smoking...I was so bad I would wake up several times a night and have to smoke a cig...It used to be pure hell getting on those long long flights with NO cigs....

Smoking these days is certainly hugely more expensive and more difficult than years ago. Now I really do not like to be around smokers as frankly it stinks and reminds me of what a digusting habit I once had.

Some smokers always will try and defend their habit by comparing it to other habits and blah blah about personal freedom. But for me it was exactly the opposite of personal freedom as I was a slave to the nicotine god...

The joy of being a non smoker is hard to describe unless you have or are addicted to nicotine as I certainly was.

As for the smokers puff away but IF IF you can figure out how to get off the damn things take it from a former big time addict that you will be very proud of yourself, you'll feel better, smell better, save a ton of money, not spend hours a day thinking about cigs, be a better model for any kids around you.

It IS possible to give them up and you may well be surprised how wonderful life without tobacco can be.

Good Luck.

I blame the Native Indians of the US. If they hadn't grown the bloody weed smoking tobacco wouldn't be a problem. That they lost all their lands to immigrant settlers serves them right. Just a Thai perspective. smile.png I look forward to a pressure group insisting that the Foreign Minister canvasses the UK to remove Walter Raleigh's knighthood.