Thai flood: Picture of devastation emerges

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are the red shirts?

Aren't they supposed to be looking after the people?

4 legs good, 2 legs better

You simply need to broaden your news sources... The Nation will never report on things that might place the Reds in a positive light and the Bangkok Post cannot be quoted here. But if you genuinely want an answer to your question, just look at the first link here: https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=%22red%20shirts%22%20%22floods%22%20%222013%22

That was just an outrageous photo oportunity

Don't worry, there will be no floods next year. Flood prevention measures will be launched and all canals will be dredged. We will also be channeling a lot of (hot) air beneath the country, especially BKK, so from hereon, we will rise 1cm above sea level every year. Soon, we will be high enough to enjoy temperate weather and four seasons (instead of just two).

Hopefully compensation will be paid alot quicker than last time. Some of my wifes friends in Rangsit are still waiting for the promised payout after the 2011 flood.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Did they fill out all the paperwork ?

Forms after Forms to be filled out, Offices to be visited, photo copies of i,d, house book etc, many needed... Guess over about 18 months received 47,000 baht, the largest cheque was 5,000 baht, all the others small amounts. each time note in letterbox = more photo copies, more trips to Government offices, and to Banks to cash said slips..

The time and cost it took and over 18 months is it ever worth it ?

when people have lost things and had to stay away from home for 4 - 6 weeks, a slip of paper to go to Bank and get 1,000 baht is not a lot of help in trying to replace anything, and that coming months after the event

Don't forget all the complaints that village heads, local officials etc were demanding up to B30,000 to do / endorse the necessary paperwork. As usual the complaints were to be looked into but I can't remember anything coming of it.

In the US, people who own houses in flood prone areas are required to have flood insurance which is offered through the US Government - when its open! Maybe to expect such a program in Thailand is unrealistic. In addition, when there is a serious disaster, low interest government loans are made available to those affected by the situation. The problem with just 'giving' people money affected by floods does usually does not distinguish regarding 'need'. It is just a one size fits all solution which is usually inadequate. Because it is inadequate, people are forced to get loans to repair damage to their property that most wll likely be higher than if the government had some type of program. You can't ignore people who need help in this kind of situation. You never know when you might be in the same 'boat' as them!!

Agreed but US programs are a few light years away from LOS. Additionally, many here would dislike implementation of such "Nanny" programs.

Sharing, or better caring, is something some do and others don't.

Edited by watcharacters

I can imagine, ugh, the mountains of paperwork needed to get some money compensations. Larry Niven, my favorite sci-fi writer, wrote a book about the 7 walls of hell. Endless Bureaucracy was one of the walls.

And pu yai ban, just like every other Thai, when you mention a problem, the first question is "how much?"

They'll probably ask how much is in your bank account (or photocopy of your passbook), so they can gauge how much you should pay in tea money. Thais profess to hold Sangha and Royalty in highest regard, but if you look how they Thais manifest, MONEY is God.

Disgraceful poor Thais have to suffer this flooding again and agin while the Thai fat cats go to their clubs, have their fancy lunches, chauffered cars, and go to hang around with other Thai fat cats and look at these photos of the helpless little people. It would be interesting to know how much flood charity money the Thai fat cats donate all the time and to which known charities?

Don't the "little people" keep voting in the current political party/government, in all its various guises?

In Prachinburi at l;east, many places are flooding that never used to, so forget the "shouldn't have built there" bit.

Local government failed to open sluice gates when they should have, and their mismanagement is directly at fault. Didn't need a ton of money, just strong leadership and some sense.

• Like 1

Disgraceful poor Thais have to suffer this flooding again and agin while the Thai fat cats go to their clubs, have their fancy lunches, chauffered cars, and go to hang around with other Thai fat cats and look at these photos of the helpless little people. It would be interesting to know how much flood charity money the Thai fat cats donate all the time and to which known charities?

But these "helpless little people", as you call them, are the ones that voted for the people now running the country. So it is indeed the choice of the "helpless little people".

• Like 1

In the US, people who own houses in flood prone areas are required to have flood insurance which is offered through the US Government - when its open! Maybe to expect such a program in Thailand is unrealistic. In addition, when there is a serious disaster, low interest government loans are made available to those affected by the situation. The problem with just 'giving' people money affected by floods does usually does not distinguish regarding 'need'. It is just a one size fits all solution which is usually inadequate. Because it is inadequate, people are forced to get loans to repair damage to their property that most wll likely be higher than if the government had some type of program. You can't ignore people who need help in this kind of situation. You never know when you might be in the same 'boat' as them!!

Wouldn't it all just be so much more effective if the bloody government stopped people building in spots that flood? I mean honestly, the way that 50% of all the development has been done in Thailand in the last 50 years, it will be amazing if half of it stands up for 50 years. Then what does it do to a mortgage holder who wants to sell it after 30 years? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Don't worry, there will be no floods next year. Flood prevention measures will be launched and all canals will be dredged. We will also be channeling a lot of (hot) air beneath the country, especially BKK, so from hereon, we will rise 1cm above sea level every year. Soon, we will be high enough to enjoy temperate weather and four seasons (instead of just two).

I have a sneaking suspicion, that the whole system might work better if they took away all of the dams and lock gates, and just left everything open. But then they wouldn't have enough water some of the time. Maybe Plod could push some back up country???

• Like 1

But these "helpless little people", as you call them, are the ones that voted for the people now running the country. So it is indeed the choice of the "helpless little people".

With all due respect the vote count for this current P.T.P. was 48%, hence the government is made up of coalition parties. Thus the greater majority of the electorate did not vote for this current government and all its politicians self enriching polices and inept flood prevention/ control scams schemes,

Karma is a biatch

Vote PTP and you get to live under water

Vote for the Democrats and be happy, save from all harm and been taken care of at all times!

Reality is a bitch, too!

I agree, the dems most likely would not have done much about the flood problems either, but at least with the dems in power, we would not have had to pay 350 billion for "nothing" smile.png

In short, it is better to have a government that does absolutely nothing, than a government that does nothing but steal public funds!

I am not sure Moses himself could have done anything about it.

• Like 1

In Prachinburi at l;east, many places are flooding that never used to, so forget the "shouldn't have built there" bit.

Local government failed to open sluice gates when they should have, and their mismanagement is directly at fault. Didn't need a ton of money, just strong leadership and some sense.

Probably wanted to save the water for later for the rice farmers.

I hear they are even now still discharging water from the big dams (not connected to Prachinburi) but to the chao praya even though its not needed intensifying floods as now they are worried that it might not hold it. They really have no idea what they are doing.

• Like 1

I hear they are even now still discharging water from the big dams (not connected to Prachinburi) but to the chao praya even though its not needed intensifying floods as now they are worried that it might not hold it. They really have no idea what they are doing.

Its all about saving Bangkok first the rest can wait bah.gifcoffee1.gif

• Like 1

If that was the case they would not have opened the big dams.. then they would save everyone. But there was a small risk the big dams would not hold enough... so they rather have moderate flooding and no chance of big flooding then dry or a real big flooding.

If that was the case they would not have opened the big dams.. then they would save everyone. But there was a small risk the big dams would not hold enough... so they rather have moderate flooding and no chance of big flooding then dry or a real big flooding.

The reports only 2 weeks ago were that the bog dams had plenty of space.

Yes but they are still dropping water.. they could stop it completely for a while.. but they don't want to risk it

Yes but they are still dropping water.. they could stop it completely for a while.. but they don't want to risk it

But by letting it out they will cause a flood. All very odd.

There is not a doubt in my mind that some of the fat cats are getting slimmer by donating.wai2.gif

Also

There are a lot of them getting fatter off of it.sad.pngsad.png

Karma is a biatch

Vote PTP and you get to live under water

Vote for the Democrats and be happy, save from all harm and been taken care of at all times!

Reality is a bitch, too!

I agree, the dems most likely would not have done much about the flood problems either, but at least with the dems in power, we would not have had to pay 350 billion for "nothing" smile.png

In short, it is better to have a government that does absolutely nothing, than a government that does nothing but steal public funds!

I am not sure Moses himself could have done anything about it.

If the Dems were in power with the amount of power that the PTP has things would definatly be a lot better. But when you depend on other parties like they had to do with Newin you are definatly in a hole. I am not saying there would not be problems but they would not be near as bad and the government would not be lying to you every time they open their mouth.

Remind's me of the Dutch boy with his finger in the dam.

At least he knew what he was doing but the moral of the story is the Dutch are world renowned experts on drainage and holding the sea back.

When I look at Holland I see buildings that are built on low lying ground in places like Amsterdam or Rotterdam but have been there for centuries.

You'd be hard pushed to find buildings in Thailand that last more than a few decades.

The klongs will fill up with rubbish as they do all the time while the flood protection money swells the coffers of the rich and well politically connected.

In the meantime the water will by nature flood low lying area's.

I guess the focus for Yingluck and co will be telling the world the floods will not come in true King Canute style.

Or when Bangkok is flooded again deny it's happened.

Thailand's elite are too proud to invite the Dutch experts to do the job and of course they could not get the kickbacks.

Edited by Jay Sata

That excludes the Yingluck/Plodprasob Dynamic Flood Duo.

They both have a ton of personal money, but neither has leadership or sense.

But by letting it out they will cause a flood. All very odd.

Yes Its odd but that is a minor flood not a 2011 flood by doing so they make sure 2011 how unlikely cant be repeated but more floods will occur as in the situation where they hold it all. Just read ResX his posts during the 2011 flood he knew what he was talking about and he still does.

Nobody is ever forced to build a house where it floods every year.

It is personal choice, and the government should not be involved.

If they had built a traditional house on stilts, no problem.

When you suffer any calamity, we'll remember not to get involved-it is your problem, not ours. Heed your own words.

Why are you putting him down him when he only spoke the truth? Too many people build on flood plains and then expect the taxpayer to help them out when the inevitable happens. It's not the same thing as a tsunami or an earthquake- floods on a floodplain are inevitable.

NB. It happens in the west too- loads of houses built on flood plains in England.