Old Toyota Corona

Sometimes it makes you Wonder. Look around,there are Mitsu, Toyo, Nissan, you name it getting on for 20 Years, and a credit to their Thai Owners. Immaculate, yet we ferangs want to dump anything over 5/7 Y.O..

Maybe they just want a car that starts everytime, aircon works, can run on gasoline, doesn't have bubbles in tires, is insurable, guages working, not a source of amusement for workers riding in pickups etc etc? tongue.png

Speak for yourselves, I can't afford anything over about 60,000 myself, and I know loads of farang who can't afford a car of any kind.

By the way Mogandave, great looking car!

Edited by ClareQuilty
  • Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes it makes you Wonder. Look around,there are Mitsu, Toyo, Nissan, you name it getting on for 20 Years, and a credit to their Thai Owners. Immaculate, yet we ferangs want to dump anything over 5/7 Y.O..

Maybe they just want a car that starts everytime, aircon works, can run on gasoline, doesn't have bubbles in tires, is insurable, guages working, not a source of amusement for workers riding in pickups etc etc? tongue.png

Speak for yourselves, I can't afford anything over about 60,000 myself, and I know loads of farang who can't afford a car of any kind.

By the way Mogandave, great looking car!

For 60,000 you could definitely pick something up in Bangkok. I was somewhat limited due to my height ( I am 6'4" in the old scale or 193cm) which meant that the old compact cars (Corolla, 323, Honda City etc) were too small for me, so I was looking at the significantly more expensive cars like Camry or Honda Accord to be able to sit comfortably in. They had quite a few smaller cars in that price range that they wanted to show me, but I had to keep reminding them that I was too tall for a Corolla-sized car. The Corona was a bit of a compromise because of my budget but it's about halfway between a Corolla and Camry in terms of legroom so it was good enough.

As IMHO pointed out, it's hardly a status symbol and I will need to spend a few thousand baht to get the existing issues fixed (aircon will probably be the most expensive, the others are minor). But what is most important to me is that it's a cheap replacement for a motorbike which here on Samui are just death traps. It will also be nice to go shopping at the supermarket and not have to worry how I will carry my groceries home, and to be able to go places when it's raining.

All in all I was pretty happy with the way the purchase of the car went, but I definitely wouldn't recommend the trip, because Bangkok is expensive and it was a long, boring and hot drive. The next time I buy a car (and I will likely use the same dealership), I will look into methods of getting it delivered to Samui for me.

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a '92 for a while 2 litre auto great car only needed better seats with a head rest and I might have kept it.

The good thing about older cars (although 20 years is pushing it) is they don't stand out in a crowd, and being unnoticed is often a good thing.