Phuket Chinese tour bus driver flees fatal hit-and-run

webfact

Phuket Chinese tour bus driver flees fatal hit-and-run
Phuket Gazette

ctb.jpg
The bus was parked about a kilometer from where the fatal accident took place. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: -- A woman crossing Thepkrasattri Road in Thalang last night was struck and killed by a Phuket tour bus carrying Chinese tourists.

The driver of the bus did not stop at the scene.

The fatal accident occurred 400 meters from Baan Nai Klum u-turn, close to where another hit-and-run victim perished just over two weeks ago (story here).

When the police arrived with volunteer rescue workers, they found the body of a woman whose head had been demolished by the force of the impact.

A search of her body revealed no identifying documents, but a witness to the accident, the owner of a nearby karaoke venue, identified the woman as a Myanmar national in her 50s who often crossed the road at that spot to get to a grocery store on the other side.

“While she was crossing, I saw a bus traveling at high speed and yelled out a warning. Unfortunately, she didn’t hear me. She died immediately,” Panor Youman, owner of the venue, said.

“I don’t remember much about the bus, except for its color, which was white,” she added.

Police later found the tour bus parked about a kilometer from the scene.

“It had a cracked windshield. Inside we found Chinese passengers and a tour guide, but the driver had fled,” Maj Kittipoom Tinthalang of the Thalang Police told the Phuket Gazette.

The guide, Lalalin Lalitaworakarn, 28, told the police, “The bus belongs to the Pichairat tour company. We were on our way to a hotel in Mai Khao after a day-trip to Koh Hei [Coral Island] when the accident happened.

“After the accident, I tried to calm the driver. But he carried on for a bit and then parked the bus beside the road before running away,” she added.

Police are confident they will be able to apprehend the driver.

“It probably won't be hard to identify the driver because the company will have his information and photo ID,” Maj Kittipoom said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Chinese-tour-bus-driver-flees-fatal-hit-and-run-22418.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-10-04

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess Chinese tourists on the minivan who happened to witness the hit and run will have more stories to tell about Thai 'traditions' once back home....

Being a witness to this would change your life. Will they return to Phuket?cheesy.gif

Phuket death crash driver runs away
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- The driver of a tour bus fled yesterday evening (October 3) after hitting a Burmese woman crossing the road so hard that she was partially dismembered.

The crash took place near the Thung Tong Ice Factory on Thepkrassatri Rd, south of Thalang, at around 6.30pm.

Panor Yoomun, 50, owner of a nearby karaoke, told the police that the dead woman was Burmese and in her mid-to-late 50s. She often crossed the road at the same place to buy things at the shop in the opposite side, Ms Panor sai.

“I saw her crossing the road,” she told police. “I shouted to warn here that the bus was coming but it was too late.”

She said that all she could remember about the bus was that it was white and was travelling at high speed and that it did not stop but continued on towards Thalang after the collision.

Soon after, officers found the tour bus parked about 600 metres away with its windscreen damaged. Sitting inside were 31 Chinese tourists and their guide, Lalita Lalitworakarn.

Ms Lalita said, “We had just got back from a trip to Coral Island and were taking the guests back to their hotel in Mai Khao.

“I was sitting at the front of the bus and just saw a black shadow like a person walking across the road. When the bus hit something I realised it was a human being.

“I told the driver to calm down and pull the bus over. Afterwards he walked away. I don’t know where he went.”

Police are expected to track him down soon. The victim has yet to be identified.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-death-crash-driver-runs-away-42208.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-04

The driver probably was in a extreme rush and driving too fast, and of course should not have run, but the real culprit is probably the tourcompany, that sends the drivers out on extremely tight schedules, which in good conditions and if everything goes according to plan can just about be met, but whenever there is a slight delay, let alone bad weather and such, are impossible to meet.

Surely its time for the authorities to try and do something about these accident's and incident's that keep happening with buses so that there would be improvements for the future .

They want Thailand to be number one amazing tourist destination but it takes more than just talking and wishing.

RIP to the victim .

In a few years it might be RIP Thailand for tourists

The driver probably was in a extreme rush and driving too fast, and of course should not have run, but the real culprit is probably the tourcompany, that sends the drivers out on extremely tight schedules, which in good conditions and if everything goes according to plan can just about be met, but whenever there is a slight delay, let alone bad weather and such, are impossible to meet.

Surely its time for the authorities to try and do something about these accident's and incident's that keep happening with buses so that there would be improvements for the future .

They want Thailand to be number one amazing tourist destination but it takes more than just talking and wishing.

RIP to the victim .

In a few years it might be RIP Thailand for tourists

They want maximum baht for minimum expense. That's why it is the way it is, and will continue to be.

• Like 1

They want maximum baht for minimum expense. That's why it is the way it is, and will continue to be.

And the package tourist wants the maximum holiday for the minimum expense. That's why it is the way it is, and will continue to be.

Sure, but Phuket used to attract the more affluent western tourist market who pumped billions of baht into the Phuket economy.

This demographic of tourist, in the last couple of years, obviously felt they were not getting what they paid for, and have moved on.

The package holiday tourist market will get what they pay for, and that is what Phuket has now become, not much of a pleasant, or safe, holiday experience.

I don't think it's against the law to flee the scene of an accident, it just seems like the thing to do.

I think if it was a crime, boy red bull would have been arrested on at least that charge since

everyone knows he killed the guy. It seems like having the cojones to be a coward is a

show of strength here. His family must be proud.

I'm sure the glad the please are confident they will catch this guy, it's not like he

was an unknown bus hijacker. The longer I stay the more I digress, I need to seriously

reconsider many things.

thepkasattri is a major road with a divider between 2 traffic. not that the driver was blameless but it takes 2 hands to clap. one wouldnt really expect someone crossing on such roads and with fatigue of the driver, bad judgement from pedrastrian, accident do happens, especially when speeding is being involved although it wasnt stated but quite likely. however running away have no excuse.

not saying this is the case but i had met more than a handful of pedrastrian crossing such roads with no thoughts given to any motorists. these people are just as dangerous as any hazards on road

RIP to the victim. Lets hope they catch the spineless driver.

BTW, who writes these articles? Does anyone else think that "Head Demolished" might be deemed a tad inapropriate when refering to somebodys death? Its a person thats died <deleted> not a damned building fallen down.

I expected marginally better from the Gazette.

As the deceased is Burmese, I don't think anything much will happen to the driver, as there will be no "mediation" of sentence by way of compensation to pay to the family.

• Like 1

Not to forget too much Lao khao coffee1.gif

I guess Chinese tourists on the minivan who happened to witness the hit and run will have more stories to tell about Thai 'traditions' once back home....

Being a witness to this would change your life. Will they return to Phuket?cheesy.gif

RIP to the victim.

Yes, being on the bus would have been a traumatic experience for the Chinese tourists.

Also, culturally, the Chinese are very superstitious. This will effect them more than most.

In this kind of situation who gives a toss about the tourists superstitions?

And their experience was not quite as traumatic as the unfortunate Burmese lady's experience.

George, your analysis shows no understanding of Thailand.

The driver runs away to get support. He needs to contact the owner of the business that he works for as, for certain, that person has a lot more clout and is able to negotiate a settlement.

In addition, the driver has no idea who he has hit. If it is a local villager, he could be badly beaten by a mob.

I agree it is wrong to run away. But your analysis is way off. Things are very, very different to the UK here. I myself am from the UK.

Agreed... While is seems careless and barbaric there is more too a driver simply running away to avoid blame.

Of course - those of questionable education may have a more childish flight instinct in such circumstances, however as Briggsy mentions 'support' and avoiding more immediate and threatening consequences is often of greater concern a driver who under the circumstances with be frightened beyond logical thought.

I wonder whether the bus was speeding and whether or not the poor victim even looked properly before crossing the road.

• Like 2

<snip>

In the UK, leaving the scene of an accident turns it from an accident into a crime, with harsh penalties. I believe that here in Thailand, there should be sufficient grounds to assume that a person leaves the scene because he knows he will be charged with a more serious offence if his driving ability is found to be affected by any substance use, so there should be an automatic jail sentence for such actions.

That might be the case in the UK. But here in SE Asia it is accepted that a driver may flee the scene of an accident for his/her own safety (mob justice often prevails in this part of the world), but must report to a police station within 24 hours. I am not saying I agree with this. Just something I learned an a driving test in Indonesia a long time ago. The same rule applies here in Thailand.

• Like 2

No one mentions the poor woman, who crosees there regularly and knows the dangers, she did not hear the warning call from a woman. Yes I have feelings a woman died.

Probably jaywalking and expecting everyone to stop for her. As per my experience as both a motorcycle and car driver here in T'land.

Why blame the driver? For doing a runner yes ok, but otherwise!!!