Reduced term fees for teachers children?

I wonder if anybody could give me some feedback on this matter. I am a foreign teacher teaching in a Mini English program of a Thai government school. My daughter now also attends this same school studying in M1 of the MEP. I recently approached my school to ask for a reduction in the school fees for my daughter, as i was a teacher at the school. I requested this as i had heard Thai schools often give discounts of 50% or sometimes waive fees for the children of teachers at the same school. Although this is still being discussed by my school i am of the impression that my school will not give any discounts. Therefore i was wondering if anybody knows of the policy ( if there is one) of discounted fees for teachers children. i think this is probably a practice by private schools but if anybody has feedback that it happens in government schools also i would be interested to hear your views

I know of a couple of private schools that give a discount after an employee has worked at the school for 3 years. Before 3 years it's full price. The reduction is about 25% and if you work longer than 3 years it starts to increase up to 50%, I think -- not sure of the %'s.

I taught in a Gov't school in Isaan for 1 year and my son was allowed free tuition.

He did MEP and loved it smile.png

pm me for more info wink.png

Thanks for this info Chonabot, this is the same scenario as i have now, except i have been at this school for nine years! Yes, if i need some more info i will pm you thanks for that. I'm still awaiting an answer from my school director at the moment so will wait and see for now.

If you're at a government school your kids should get free education.

If I were you, I'd demand it, not request it.

Of all the cases I've known, the kids have to pay some registration fee for the first year, but NO term fees.

Edited by Neeranam

At the private school I used to work at all employee's children could study for free, that included the cook's kids! Pretty sure a Thai government school offers discounts to Thai teachers, wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the case for foreigners though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think demanding things is a great way to get a new work permit.

I think, sadly, that there are to many new teachers here with this attitude - Let the Thai bosses pay us less, make us work more and we can't ever argue let alone make our demands. This has led to the schools I've seen being full of yes-men and desperate backpackers. Absolutely no solidarity,with everyone jumping at the chance to back stab others just so they get their extra 9 month contract.

I wouldn't work in a school that treated me like a piece of s**t. If you are a teacher in a government school and they make you pay your child's fees, they are doing exactly that.

Show them you are worth it. I demanded many things in my last job. Block schedules(so only worked 4 days a week in the afternoon), 2 weeks off at Christmas + 3 months paid holiday a year, 2 month bonus at end of year etc. I hear of guys working here now for peanuts with no paid holidays etc and saying Krapom Krapom Krapom krapom me! Even heard of one demonstration school where all the teachers were given a salary cut and as far as I know they are all still working there. What wooses.