Thai Army Chief Prayuth cautions media against criticism

webfact

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thread is about Thailand and the comment by the army general.

When was the last coup led by poor.oppressed,workers,monks,students,other groups as happens all over the world?

While not an expert on dates I seem to have lived through many coups which have all been from one anti-democratic source.

The justification is that we cannot trust the poor not to seek justice.USA shamefully supports its client,

What is so hard to believe is how these valiants achieved so many medals (co -opearating with Hirohito ?)

QUOTE (co -operating with Hirohito ?) END QUOTE

Thais invariable retort when reminded of those years of Thai shameful history: "But that was a long time ago!!!"

TSK, TSK, TSK! Thainess; will we ever be able to understand it?

The thread is about Thailand and the comment by the army general.

QUOTE " If you are going to bash the Thais today for their role in World War two, then what do you have to say for the Italians? Vichy France? The Dutch who volunteered to join the German army? Just consider yourself fortunate that you didn't have to live through those times." END OF QUOTE.

Sorry If I hurt your sensibility. Maybe you are Thai or maybe you are a member of a Thai family by marriage but, how can it be bashing if it is HISTORY that was quoted?

Thailand allowed the Japanese army to have a hard labor camp in its territory and also declared war to the USA and the UK. Just two salient items in a long list of Thai historical facts.

Add to that yes, I did live through those times in more ways than one.

To look at history from a cushy arm char and being an arm-chair defender of others is different from being in the battle field.

To say that the wrongs of others frees one from responsibility is tantamount to the traditional lame argument that 2 wrongs = 1 right.

• Like 1

He's pointing out the limp wristed, castrated passiveness approach here, instead of fighting, which is still reflected in today's feminine and metro approach to men in modern Thai society. It's true Just look around. In WWII, they shut down those who wanted to take up arms against Japan.

Muay Thai is about the last glimpse of manliness here. No wonder the girls crave foreign guys, cool, more for us to choose from and play with.

Carrying that attitude i would suggest to never live in a normal Thai neighborhood - very soon you might make the acquaintance of another aspect of manliness here - the "Naclaeng" culture...

• Like 2

He's pointing out the limp wristed, castrated passiveness approach here, instead of fighting, which is still reflected in today's feminine and metro approach to men in modern Thai society. It's true Just look around. In WWII, they shut down those who wanted to take up arms against Japan.

Muay Thai is about the last glimpse of manliness here. No wonder the girls crave foreign guys, cool, more for us to choose from and play with.

Carrying that attitude i would suggest to never live in a normal Thai neighborhood - very soon you might make the acquaintance of another aspect of manliness here - the "Naclaeng" culture...

It is a fact, a simple observation, open your eyes. I would have thought you'd traveled enough to see it is no doubt one of the most feminine of cultures-compared to somewhere like Greece, India, or Russia. I am fine with it- more girls for the harem.

I am not sure what your karaoke phonetics is supposed to mean. นักเลง ??? Gangsters are less in number than 'Golf-Mike' chick-chick boys.

A long-time local grass roots journalist ought to be capable of speaking or writing the local lingo I'd have thought?

Edited by gemini81

I hope for some of your sakes that The General is not a reader of Thai Visa forums. Tough crowd today, as usual.

I see he defines the role of the military as... "defend(ing) the nation, the religion, and the monarchy". I never heard that it was the military's job to defend the religion. Is that in the Thai constitution? I thought there was no official state religion in Thailand. Would the military protect Thai Muslims if they were persecuted like the Royhingas, by militant Buddhists?

It's typical rhetoric. Probably created as a catch phrase by the CIA psyops team anyway. So much of what is seen in Thailand today as thainess was a construct to manipulate the people to be anti communist.

The people who came up with it all and implemented it all must laugh about how well it worked and how long it has lasted.

Edited by Thai at Heart

What does he mean by telling the media to be cautious when reporting court proceedings relating the military's role in the events of 2010? Their job is just to report what happened in court or does he mean they should not report anything or always report that the army was exonerated, even if they weren't. Seems a strange statement for an army chief.

He basically means to say that of utmost importance is to protect the three pillar ideology, and as the military's supreme duty is the protection of the three pillars, any weakening of the military would automatically equate leaving the three pillars in a vulnerable position. Which, following this logic, the army cannot allow to happen. He reminds the media here what their duty within this context should be as well, in his duty as army chief, and therefore chief protector.

I would lie if i would say that those sort of statements would not make me slightly uncomfortable...

What makes me decidedly uncomfortable is the DSI's Tarit and his unseemly crusade.

What makes me extremely uncomfortable is the organ grinder and his monkeys

It is a fact, a simple observation, open your eyes. I would have thought you'd traveled enough to see it is no doubt one of the most feminine of cultures-compared to somewhere like Greece, India, or Russia. I am fine with it- more girls for the harem.

I am not sure what your karaoke phonetics is supposed to mean. นักเลง ??? Gangsters are less in number than 'Golf-Mike' chick-chick boys.

A long-time local grass roots journalist ought to be capable of speaking or writing the local lingo I'd have thought?

Speaking - yes, writing - no.

Anyhow, "naclaeng" does not mean gangster, in the western sense - it's a tough guy who lives according to a code of honor, and is always ready to defend that with violence. That person may, or may not be a gangster.

As i am not frequenting golf courses, or the thonglor hip scene, if i can avoid it, i am afraid to say that my exposure to the kind of Thai men you seem to surround yourself with is rather limited. I live in a normal labor/lower middle class neighborhood, in which gang fights are quite a common occurrence, where almost every house has guns (i have still have a hole in my wall from a stray bullet), and where respect has to be earned, especially when you are farang.

Quite ironically - many Thai men's stereotypical view on western men is that they may be bigger, but are rather limp wristed, spend all their money on pussy, and are not really to be taken that serious.

But yes, you might be better off playing casanova in the little enclaves that are there for the fulfillment of western men's illusions. If you would voice these notions in the wrong place (which is almost everywhere outside these enclaves), you might find yourself in quite a bit of trouble.

When was the last coup led by poor.oppressed,workers,monks,students,other groups as happens all over the world?

While not an expert on dates I seem to have lived through many coups which have all been from one anti-democratic source.

The justification is that we cannot trust the poor not to seek justice.USA shamefully supports its client,

What is so hard to believe is how these valiants achieved so many medals (co -opearating with Hirohito ?)

Thais invariable retort when reminded of those years of Thai shameful history: "But that was a long time ago!!!"

If you are going to bash the Thais today for their role in World War two, then what do you have to say for the Italians? Vichy France? The Dutch who volunteered to join the German army? Just consider yourself fortunate that you didn't have to live through those times.

So should we then think of today's Italians, French and Dutch in the same way because of what happened in WW2? The Germans?

I always find it baffling that ppl bash the Thais over not standing up to the same Japanese who had conquered Manchuria during the 30's, drove the British out of Hong Kong, Malaya, and Singapore, drove the French out of IndoChina, drove the Dutch out of East Indies and the Americans out of the Philippines. Do you consider those nations limp-wristed, and have those characteristics also carried over to today?

If you are going to bash the Thais today for their role in World War two, then what do you have to say for the Italians? Vichy France? The Dutch who volunteered to join the German army? Just consider yourself fortunate that you didn't have to live through those times.

Speaking - yes, writing - no.

Anyhow, "naclaeng" does not mean gangster, in the western sense - it's a tough guy who lives according to a code of honor, and is always ready to defend that with violence. That person may, or may not be a gangster.

As i am not frequenting golf courses, or the thonglor hip scene, if i can avoid it, i am afraid to say that my exposure to the kind of Thai men you seem to surround yourself with is rather limited. I live in a normal labor/lower middle class neighborhood, in which gang fights are quite a common occurrence, where almost every house has guns (i have still have a hole in my wall from a stray bullet), and where respect has to be earned, especially when you are farang.

Quite ironically - many Thai men's stereotypical view on western men is that they may be bigger, but are rather limp wristed, spend all their money on pussy, and are not really to be taken that serious.

But yes, you might be better off playing casanova in the little enclaves that are there for the fulfillment of western men's illusions. If you would voice these notions in the wrong place (which is almost everywhere outside these enclaves), you might find yourself in quite a bit of trouble.

I live in a local's area; but not in a red village like you. I take your word that in your manly, hard asses' haven, the place is tough as nails, and every man is Hercules drenched in testosterone. You don't have to visit massage parlors to find some nice girls, nor am I hung up on the locals' perception of the standard western male-maybe you are.

Edited by gemini81

Muay Thai manliness? Two petite males hugging each other while hopping around on one foot is manly? In Mexico it is a dance between a man and a woman called Caballito, although this is a very tame version of it..

Pheu Thai seem to be winning all the frontline court battles just now so maybe this is a pincer movement from the army to try and restore the balance.

I would have thought the government is in a uncomfortable position right now.

A lot of red shirts want justice for the deaths in 2010 and the government want to get rid of Abhisit. All the inquests seem to suggest that the killings were by the military which the government through Tarit and the DSI want to hold the Democrat government and in particular Abhisit and Suthep responsible for. Unfortunately the actions of those in the military who are responsible for the deaths would seem to be outside of the ROE that they were given so it's difficult to see how Abhisit ect. can be held directly responsible. They would only be accountable as far as dealing with the actions that had been taken. Of course that is now in the hands of the the government and its PM who of course is also in charge of the military as she is the Defence Minister.

In 2010 it probably seemed a good idea to paint Abhisit as a puppet of the military but it makes it difficult now to reverse that opinion. It also puts the current government in a tricky position with the army who they don't want to upset. This statement just goes to show how the army is clearly fighting back.

• Like 1

Let's see: Can't Prayuth be elected the dear leader in North Korea? The court is always right when it comes to disbanding parties he doesn't like and to locking up people criticizing the monarchy but when it comes down to proven murderous soldiers and his own involvement the court is wrong. Lock him up for contempt of court!

""No matter what colour and what side you are on, you cannot pressure the state personnel. You cannot intimidate their children or their wives. I ask you this, is that fair?"

Pressure and intimidation is the domain of red thugs and PTP ... how dare the media use their tactics. Reporting the truth is not allowed

" Pressure and intimidation is the domain of red thugs and PTP..." Really??? So tear gas, beatings, tanks and bullets, used against the red shirt protestors AND non- protestors such as, reporters, nurses, children, etc, is that not pressure and intimidation??? unfortunately there are some media groups (thugs) out there that are about as fair minded, balanced, and bias as your comment.

The limp wrist can slap one silly and a spiked high-heel on the old noggin can do a lot of damage.

Muay Thai could be a cover for the feminine-metro man who craves contact with his fellow man. Sounds bizzare? Yes, just a bizzare as your post.

Let's see: Can't Prayuth be elected the dear leader in North Korea? The court is always right when it comes to disbanding parties he doesn't like and to locking up people criticizing the monarchy but when it comes down to proven murderous soldiers and his own involvement the court is wrong. Lock him up for contempt of court!

If you would take off your red-tinted glasses for a moment and read the Op, you would notice that he didn't criticise the courts - he was having a go at the media. He correctly pointed out that the 2010 cases heard so far are not the end of the story.

I don't like his media criticism but he is in the same boat as the police ('like' a no-no) and the PTP party who can't take criticism of Yingluck.

Methinks he is upset with some local cartoonists who apparently have him having an affair with Yingluck (according to the Bangkok Post).

I agree with the General!

If the above report is accurate, as a Journalist, News Director, Managing Editor of some 40+ years, I would be amongst the first to scream loud and long, if I thought he was attempting to gag the media.

From my reading of the "KHAOSOD" report above, I support the General, who is simply saying that the Media's role is to provide fair and balanced reporting and then, let the people make up their own minds.

I hope for some of your sakes that The General is not a reader of Thai Visa forums. Tough crowd today, as usual.

I see he defines the role of the military as... "defend(ing) the nation, the religion, and the monarchy". I never heard that it was the military's job to defend the religion. Is that in the Thai constitution? I thought there was no official state religion in Thailand. Would the military protect Thai Muslims if they were persecuted like the Royhingas, by militant Buddhists?

Officially, yes, the constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand stipulates the following :

“Section 38 A person shall enjoy full liberty to profess a religion, a religious sect or creed, and observe religious precepts or exercise a form of worship in accordance with his or her belief; provided that it is not contrary to his or her civic duties public order or good morals.

In exercising the liberty referred to in the above paragraph, a person is protected from any act of the state, which is derogatory to his or her rights or detrimental to his or her due benefits on the ground of professing a religion, a religious sect or creed or observing religious precepts or exercising a form of worship in accordance with his or her different belief from that of others.”

http://www.thaiembassy.org/riyadh/en/organize/29025-Muslim-in-Thailand.html

A point to ponder is that he is a Public Figure, running a Public Organisation on behalf of the People of Thailand. He therefore is rightly open to criticism and sensor by the Public and by the Press on behalf of the Public. I am a little unsure why he "threatens People" either the public or the press, or is this a veiled threat at the Government to make sure none of the accusations from the Red Shirts Demonstration ends up on his plate. Weird, but no doubt, time will tell.facepalm.gif

We all know what the legal procedures and judgements are like in Thailand we dont need to wait General we can easily make our own judgements thank you very much most of us watched the troubles on the international news channels and saw for ourselves exactly what was happening .

I think what the Thai military need is another TV channel to get their story over and if they keep repeating it often enough how wonderful they were at defending the Thai people during the troubles someone might almost believe them.

Actually, a lot of people already do believe them.

If the above report is accurate, as a Journalist, News Director, Managing Editor of some 40+ years, I would be amongst the first to scream loud and long, if I thought he was attempting to gag the media.

From my reading of the "KHAOSOD" report above, I support the General, who is simply saying that the Media's role is to provide fair and balanced reporting and then, let the people make up their own minds.

Can you perhaps translate the headline and story with a bit more clarity for us? What we have seen here (in English) does seem a bit threatening to the press.

Welcome to the 21st century, where information is shared as easy peasy as it gets thanks to Internet.

If mr Chan ocha wants to shut the critics, ban the Internet in Thailand

Edited by MaxLee

Either you are a managing editor of a travel magazine, or you must have lost your bite along the way up the ladder, but following demand by Prayud i would translate rather differently than a request for fair and balanced reporting:

He also stressed that the media should refrain from providing commentaries about the court inquests as it would amount to "pressuring" the authorities.

The Bangkok Post article on this subject has reported it in the same spirit.

I am a bit baffled how a journalist can possibly agree with the army chief of Thailand demanding that the media should not comment on court verdicts in which soldiers were found guilty of shooting unarmed protesters.

You may want to explain a bit further, please.

• Like 1

"He also stressed that the media should refrain from providing commentaries about the court inquests as it would amount to pressuring" the authorities.

That is the governments job and a good job they are doing of it.

"No matter what colour and what side you are on, you cannot pressure the state personnel. You cannot intimidate their children or their wives. I ask you this, is that fair? Or you want to live without legal system? You cannot do that as the country will break apart," Gen. Prayuth is quoted as saying.

We have a legal system when are they going to apply it to the government?

Furthermore, the army chief called for the media to "be respectful" to the military. He accused an unspecified media agency of unjustly criticising him, before adding that "Don′t use [angry] emotion in your writing. If I have [angry] emotion as well, we won′t be able to coexist".

Well I can think of a few reasons to be critical of them. But their role in the 2010 attempted coup is not one of them.

He insisted that he had been "patient" with the critical coverage from the press but nevertheless warned that the media should take care not to accuse the Royal Thai Army of being politically biased because "the Army has only one side: the country. We defend the nation, the religion, and the monarchy".

Well that is pretty obvious we still have are royalty In spite of an effort from a Thai living in a foreign country we are still a some what democratic country and the religion dosen't seem to need any protection.