How should I dress?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're opening a bank account, not attending an interview...

That said, there are appropriate levels of dress for any activity... over-dressing is never an issue, under-dressing can be.

Don't turn up in Shorts and Vest Top...

Jeans / Trousers and Shirt / Polo shirt are fine...

In short, wear what you see or would expect to see most respectable people around you wearing.

Question: What would you expect to wear when walking into open a Bank Account in your Capital City back home ???

SO FUNNY...!!! ROTFLMAO...!!!

It makes no difference what you wear, they want your money.

Respectable..?? As at a wealthy Nudist Resort..??

Jesus sandals and white tennis socks, a Singha beer t-shirt (preferably soiled from 3 consecutive nights of partying) and fisherman's pants are the accepted attire for opening a bank account.

No, honestly, any casual clothing will do as long as it's not too "pauper-ish". You want to open a bank account, not apply for a job, do you?

Edited by Misterwhisper

You're opening a bank account, not attending an interview...

That said, there are appropriate levels of dress for any activity... over-dressing is never an issue, under-dressing can be.

Don't turn up in Shorts and Vest Top...

Jeans / Trousers and Shirt / Polo shirt are fine...

In short, wear what you see or would expect to see most respectable people around you wearing.

Question: What would you expect to wear when walking into open a Bank Account in your Capital City back home ???

SO FUNNY...!!! ROTFLMAO...!!!

It makes no difference what you wear, they want your money.

Respectable..?? As at a wealthy Nudist Resort..??

Seems you think he's opening a bank account in Farangland, things are a little different here for a ''smooth ride''. smile.png

• Like 1

Does a grown man really need to come to an internet forum to seek advice on what to wear when setting up a bank account?

Seriously?

Why not, if the OP wears shorts at all times then perhaps it doesn't hurt to ask an opinion. smile.png

• Like 2

Dress like you are in summertime in your country. Casual, but clean, plus little polite shining, surely work well. Farang looks really good when they dress like at home.....thai try to copy with funny too much, sometimes I think some thai guy try to copy western dress and looks like Charlie Chaplin...cheesy.gifgiggle.gif

Who is Charlie Chaplin? I have heard the name, is he a comedian? Or a male model?

As many have said - it won't make too much difference what you wear .... but .... in Thailand if you dress just a bit smarter it can a big difference in levels of service.

In my bank - if I call in when I'm working (so dressed in business shirt, long trousers and proper shoes) I'll get shown to the managers desk and he'll sort things out quickly and efficiently ... I don't ask for this - it just seems to happen. But if I call in on a day off (shorts, short sleeved shirt, slaps) - I'll be given a queuing ticket and get normal service. May only be 5 minutes difference in time and I'm not really bothered either way - but if I was opening a new account I think it would go smoother if I dressed like a professional business person.

• Like 1

Does a grown man really need to come to an internet forum to seek advice on what to wear when setting up a bank account?

Seriously?

This is Thailand. I have lived here for a long time and know that appearances mean a lot, I did not come to this forum, I am a member and decided to ask for opinions from other members, If you do not like it then don't read it, I also knew that there would be some humour involved, as has been the case. I like a bit of entertainment among TV posters.

• Like 1

Seriously?

Maybe this is the very first time the OP has ever had a bank account in his life and the only thing he is used to is a piggy bank to keep his christmas and birthday money in...wink.png

As many have said - it won't make too much difference what you wear .... but .... in Thailand if you dress just a bit smarter it can a big difference in levels of service.

In my bank - if I call in when I'm working (so dressed in business shirt, long trousers and proper shoes) I'll get shown to the managers desk and he'll sort things out quickly and efficiently ... I don't ask for this - it just seems to happen. But if I call in on a day off (shorts, short sleeved shirt, slaps) - I'll be given a queuing ticket and get normal service. May only be 5 minutes difference in time and I'm not really bothered either way - but if I was opening a new account I think it would go smoother if I dressed like a professional business person.

coffee1.gif

If I call in my bank even in my birthday suit I will be shown to the managers office...rolleyes.gif

You people dont half talk some <deleted>...

• Like 1

Seriously?

This is Thailand. I have lived here for a long time and know that appearances mean a lot, I did not come to this forum, I am a member and decided to ask for opinions from other members, If you do not like it then don't read it, I also knew that there would be some humour involved, as has been the case. I like a bit of entertainment among TV posters.

Two points:

1) If you have lived in Thailand a long time and know that appearances mean a lot, why do you need to ask the question.

2) How do I know if I like something, until I've read it?

• Like 1

Seriously?

Two points:

1) If you have lived in Thailand a long time and know that appearances mean a lot, why do you need to ask the question.

2) How do I know if I like something, until I've read it?

I do not think you are worth debating with, so I will just finish it now if you don''t mind.

post-122035-0-42277800-1381225227_thumb.

if you are planning to wear costume wings, you should call ahead to check on the dimensions of the main entrance and the ceiling height

if you plan to discuss a premium account with one of the private bankers, you will also need to check the dimensions of their office

• Like 1

Seriously?

Agreed.

Sounds a little like a 'man amongst boys and a boy amongst men' to me especially since he opened a ridiculous thread about westerners in Thailand who only wear shorts a little while ago.

His questions and comments seem narrow minded and naive to me. I hope he wasn't born in 1931 as his TV name possibly suggests.

Seriously?

Agreed.

Sounds a little like a 'man amongst boys and a boy amongst men' to me especially since he opened a ridiculous thread about westerners in Thailand who only wear shorts a little while ago.

His questions and comments seem narrow minded and naive to me. I hope he wasn't born in 1931 as his TV name possibly suggests.

I think that post is a little below the belt. You or any of us don't know who is, and your assumption is rather distasteful from where l am sitting.

• Like 2

Seriously?

Agreed.

I think that post is a little below the belt. You or any of us don't know who is, and your assumption is rather distasteful from where l am sitting.

You're entitled to your opinion the same as I am. But from where I'm sitting, I seem to remember the OP starting a thread about his distaste for westerners wearing short pants and his abhorrence of them. From this discussion it is very obvious to me, he has very firm views on how he perceives correct forms of dress should be.

Furthermore, coming on a forum such as this to ask how to dress when opening a bank account is rather unusual to say the least, after opening his previous thread on the subject of dress.

I accept the fact you think my comments are 'below the belt' and I have no problem with that.

What kind of belt? Made of leather or heavy cloth? Frame or plate-style buckle? What colour, matching or off-setting the garment?

These are important issues that should not be treated lightly.

Edited by Morakot

"dress like a teacher"

as if anybody cares what i think, but i feel your average teacher here looks totally hideous. just no sense whatsoever. a crusty backpack with a shirt, thai and slacks is about as bad as wearing a neon bracelet with a tux i feel. it just looks so out of place. but that is all we have here. i wont even go into the g-shocks with the tie and slacks, but it is even more ridiculous.

• Like 1