When did Bacon == Ham Slices?

gk10002000

Had a few English Breakfasts at 18 coins, Butcher Arm, had a chicken burger with Bacon at Robin's Nest, breakfast buffet at Lek and Apex. Nobody seems to serve bacon. Lek and Apex did have bacon but just small pieces wrapped around cut up hot dogs. So where has all the pork belly gone? Nothing against ham, I like it, but bacon is bacon.

• Like 1

Pigs in blankets are always wrapped in bacon....not dough. Sounds like you mean toad in the hole which is sausage in a yorkshire pudding.

Back to bacon.... plenty in macro and foodland recently. So fine for consumer shopping but possibly an issue with restaurant wholesale suppliers.

Pigs in blankets are always wrapped in bacon....not dough. Sounds like you mean toad in the hole which is sausage in a yorkshire pudding.

Back to bacon.... plenty in macro and foodland recently. So fine for consumer shopping but possibly an issue with restaurant wholesale suppliers.

Pigs in blankets are link sausages wrapped in pancakes where I grew up. Served for breakfast, with imitation maple syrup.

You're not from England I take it Smokin Joe because for us it's a Bacon wrapped banger.... sausage pancake and maple syrup just sounds weird to me..........

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You're not from England I take it Smokin Joe because for us it's a Bacon wrapped banger.... sausage pancake and maple syrup just sounds weird to me..........

Midwest US (Missouri), probably a regional thing, I doubt that it was called that in New York or California.

I heard that up in Canada they actually use real maple syrup, unless we were poorer than I thought.

Wikipedia shows Pigs in a blanket like this. NO bacon.

post-130068-0-32453900-1381195946_thumb.

• Like 1

Thats what pigs in a blanket are! I mean who ever heard of a blanket made from bacon??

Edited by canman

• 4 weeks later...

It's those darned people from England; they call ham "bacon." I wish they would learn to speak proper English :)

If you want bacon in an English pub type place or their Thai knockoffs, often it's referred to as stripe-bacon or fatty bacon.

I actually laughed out loud at "proper English" :D:D:D

• Like 1

It's those darned people from England; they call ham "bacon." I wish they would learn to speak proper English smile.png

If you want bacon in an English pub type place or their Thai knockoffs, often it's referred to as stripe-bacon or fatty bacon.

Streaky,cheap as dirt,call that Bacon?

It also say's AMERICAN STYLE all the other recipes for the pig's in blanket's on the same web page refer to bacon.

Bet you'll be telling us next about N/YORK being the land where the bagel came from.

Fist recorded in 1671 in brick lane London to save you looking it up.

I also believe that bacon in USA is mostly streaky in England we have several cut's and it is NEVER I repeat NEVER called HAM.

Several places around there do serve real bacon as British people would understand it for breakfast, both plated and buffet-style.

Diana Dragon, Diana Inn (if it is still functioning), I(rish) Rovers, Casa Pascal to name just a few.

It is true that many places (especially the buffet places trying to save a few Baht, like Apex and Lek) serve shoulder ham instead of bacon and in my experience this ham is often considered to be a valid part of an American or International cooked breakfast.

As mentioned it would never form part of a British/English cooked breakfast nor would any Brit ever call it bacon. But as far as I know even in the US they do have back bacon as well as streaky.

My favourite bacon cut is middle but I've never seen it here.

There a cafe on soi buakhaow near jollys.That do proper bacon and english sausage.I forget what the cafe called but they do the hungryman breakfast.

Cafe Pattini, perhaps? They dont generally cut corners in there.

For classic farang food at reasonable prices it is a good place to go and I would certainly expect to get proper bacon there rather than ham.

There a cafe on soi buakhaow near jollys.That do proper bacon and english sausage.I forget what the cafe called but they do the hungryman breakfast.

Cafe Pattini, perhaps? They dont generally cut corners in there.

For classic farang food at reasonable prices it is a good place to go and I would certainly expect to get proper bacon there rather than ham.

That is the place.Best breakfast i have found in pattaya

I make my own ham and bacon, no added preservatives, and apart from the fact that both come from the same animal they are totally different.

The square sliced meat served for breakfast in many places here is not even real ham. It is a factory product made from compressed and hydrated offcuts of real ham and other pork meat. Commonly referred to as "shoulder".

What you make is proper ham and you wont be finding much of that for breakfast in Pattaya either, more's the pity.

I'm from California, and that's what I would call pigs in a blanket.

This has me thinking, though... Maybe somebody could wrap a sausage in bacon, and then wrap THAT in dough. A double-blanketed pig for everybody! While we're at it let's put the whole thing on top of a slice of ham and a chocolate chip pancake, add some syrup and powdered sugar...

Then people of all nationalities could enjoy it together (until our arteries explode, that is).

I make my own ham and bacon, no added preservatives, and apart from the fact that both come from the same animal they are totally different.

The square sliced meat served for breakfast in many places here is not even real ham. It is a factory product made from compressed and hydrated offcuts of real ham and other pork meat. Commonly referred to as "shoulder".

What you make is proper ham and you wont be finding much of that for breakfast in Pattaya either, more's the pity.

What some hotels serve as ham, bacon, or sausage is a disgrace. And I am not talking guesthouses here but 4- and 5-star hotels.