Is Panthongtae Shinawatra preparing to enter the fray?

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Is Panthongtae preparing to enter the fray?

Attayuth Bootsripoom
The Nation

30216519-01_big.jpg

REPORTS THAT former premier Thaksin Shinawatra is grooming his son Panthongtae for public office come as no surprise.

BANGKOK: -- They emerged amid claims that Thaksin would ask metropolitan police chief Camronwit Toopgrajank to be a Pheu Thai MP after his retirement next year. Camronwit has already denied this, and deputy government spokesman Sunisa Lertpakawat has said Panthongtae is not interested in being a politician.

Let's consider why this news has emerged and the choices that Thaksin has for a political heir.

There are different pros and cons relating to members of the Shinawatra family being in politics nowadays.

Although incumbent Prime Minister Yingluck still has a good approval rating, her government has not had any outstanding achievements. The price of goods and living costs have soared, and the government's populist policies have flaws that are like a volcano waiting to erupt. In the future, her standing could plunge. There is also talk that Yingluck is not so "obedient" in following orders from her older brother.

Another alternative premier is Yingluck's elder sister Yaowapha Wongsawat. Her competence and influence are undoubted, both in politics and businesses. But it could also be her weakest link, as problems related to the highly controversial rice-pledging scheme linger around her.

The next choice, Priewpan Damapong, the former national police chief, may also be qualified, but the fact he "only" used to be Thaksin's brother-in-law means he may not be fully trusted.

This is why some believe that, sooner or later, Panthongtae will step in as Thaksin's political heir.

The question is whether Panthongtae, 34, is ready. And, if there have been deeper reasons behind his engagement in political attacks and counter-attack via social media, as well as his visiting people in flood-hit areas. Was this done to see if he has the capacity to wipe away the image of a little or bad boy in his adolescence, or demonstrate administrative ability?

These reports are likely to be just a test of the water, and given his habit, Thaksin is unlikely to reveal the name of his heir until the last minute. Although Panthongtae is Thaksin's pure and direct blood, he would not risk letting him attacked by revealing his name "too early".

Meanwhile, rumours of a Cabinet reshuffle linger, and with Thaksin is reportedly in Indonesia while Yingluck is at the Apec Summit in Bali, many expect changes in Pheu Thai's quota to be clearer after the PM returns.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-08

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is reality imitating art. Just another soap with the ignorant and arrogant conducting themselves as omnipotent and nepotistisc, however, this is simply par for the course in this country. What I find most interesting and dangerous is that this article dares to suggest that Ms Yingluck still enjoys significant popularity. If this is indeed true then it is indictment on the ability of this nation to separate fact from political manipulation.

This is meant to be a bloody democracy, not a position to be filled by hereditary title..... Who do the Shiniwatras think they are?

You can't really blame old mate Thaksin for doing what he sees as in the best interests of (his) political party. The laws allow such things to take place, señor Thaksin is just using it to his advantage. Nothing stopping any other political heavyweights from doing the same, no matter their shirt colour de jour..

Don't hate the player, hate the game!

• Like 1

I personally believe that the question is irrelevant, as the days of the Shinawatra empire are drawing to a close. Those who believe this is not possible would be advised to read up on the fall of the Roman empire.

Despite having enjoyed a very strong position as the PM, and enjoying similar strength as an exiled criminal, Thaksin has never really understood what was required to appease his main supporters, up-country poor people.

These are the very people who are now suffering the most as a result of the endless string of populist policies that have been imposed upon the country throughout the past two Shinawatra governments. Whilst wages have essentially been fixed, we have seen inflation running wild, and indeed, hitting hardest at the lowest levels, with massive increases in the price of chicken, pork, eggs, bread, and so on, all of the staples that these people cannot do without.

His former wife is a criminal, his eldest sister would also be if the system could be bothered to investigate her involvement in the rice scam, his younger sister is out of her depth, and indeed, now seems to be totally disillusioned by the role that she has been thrust into.

Does anyone think for a minute that they would accept this child as the next despotic leader of this country? Give me a break...!!

This government will do well to make it to the end of its current term, but I do not envisage the party's support base being there in sufficient numbers next time around. That's when all of these crooked b*****ds, with offshore accounts full of the Thai nation's wealth will have to start running for cover...!!

I would hardly call an inflation rate of 1.42% rampant inflation!!!

He has a good business track record to do it....what with that bun shop and the bts advertising agency all doing so well.

You are missing the point here itchy! Exactly that track record is probably going to make him a perfect candidate for Ministry of Finance! whistling.gif

Can't be any worse than the clown Kittiratt running that shop now!

The new Minister of Finance: Kim il Pan!

Indeed we are starting to witness the first moves in strengthening the Thaksin dynasty akin to the North Korean system of power passing from one family member to another along with the corrupt practices and ongoing nepotism.

Yet this idea may well be the match that lights the fuse of discontent among the people of Thailand, those fervent supporters of Thaksin will start to realise just how they have been duped and the resultant backlash could indeed prove to be the reaction that ultimately destroys Thaksins plans and power

One wonders if Panthongtas dress sense might be better than Yinglucks?

His use of social media outlets is interesting as was the creative work concerning a university examination.

Certainly some interesting times ahead.

One wonders if this is the event predicted for the 8th of October which will result in turmoil for the Thai political scene?whistling.gif

It would indeed be an interesting scene to see filial warfare being waged in an internal struggle for both power and financial rewards.

Sadly though there is a worry that possibly the population at large may become involved in such a matter, that would inded be a sad state of affairs for the country and its peoples.

I personally believe that the question is irrelevant, as the days of the Shinawatra empire are drawing to a close. Those who believe this is not possible would be advised to read up on the fall of the Roman empire.

Despite having enjoyed a very strong position as the PM, and enjoying similar strength as an exiled criminal, Thaksin has never really understood what was required to appease his main supporters, up-country poor people.

These are the very people who are now suffering the most as a result of the endless string of populist policies that have been imposed upon the country throughout the past two Shinawatra governments. Whilst wages have essentially been fixed, we have seen inflation running wild, and indeed, hitting hardest at the lowest levels, with massive increases in the price of chicken, pork, eggs, bread, and so on, all of the staples that these people cannot do without.

His former wife is a criminal, his eldest sister would also be if the system could be bothered to investigate her involvement in the rice scam, his younger sister is out of her depth, and indeed, now seems to be totally disillusioned by the role that she has been thrust into.

Does anyone think for a minute that they would accept this child as the next despotic leader of this country? Give me a break...!!

This government will do well to make it to the end of its current term, but I do not envisage the party's support base being there in sufficient numbers next time around. That's when all of these crooked b*****ds, with offshore accounts full of the Thai nation's wealth will have to start running for cover...!!

What?! 3.5-3.7 per year for years, what remote island with wi-fi are you posting from?!?!

If you're a skeptic, just look at condo, land, cost of living, and costs of cars/food. Sheesh are you clueless. I work directly with those (high) rates of inflation daily, and they're crippling the lower & middle class.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 1

What?! 3.5-3.7 per year for years, what remote island with wi-fi are you posting from?!?!

If you're a skeptic, just look at condo, land, cost of living, and costs of cars/food. Sheesh are you clueless. I work directly with those (high) rates of inflation daily, and they're crippling the lower & middle class.

The official government office figure for the inflation rate for Thailand for September 2013 IS 1.42%.

On this basis you are misinformed - it is a bit like that minister saying that people only perceive that things are expensive. I bet you haven't got a degree in economics (unless it is the same as Kittirat's, that is)!!!giggle.gif.

I would keep eyes on sister Yaowapha! She is a ruthless business person and a cunning politician. She has vast influence

and is respected in strategic circles. Yingluck is a viable player as well. I think the son is a just a distraction. This family stretches wide and far.

The question I am asking is how the 2015 Asean opening will effect Thai politics and the general way of doing business in Thailand. When will

the young generation speak up and ask the tough questions and participate in critical thinking thus changing the landscape of politics..

He's 34?

Looks not much older than 20 with a head 3 times too large for his girly man body.

Is he gay?...not that there is anything wrong with that...

If he is, he would be a good catch for someone.

It is in the red shirts dictionary - as Yingluck keeps fooling the rest of the world with her biased and selective righteous speeches saying how unfair it was for those nasty Democrat's to have found out about the Shinawatra's crooked ways and got them turfed out by the army!!

I would keep eyes on sister Yaowapha! She is a ruthless business person and a cunning politician. She has vast influence

and is respected in strategic circles. Yingluck is a viable player as well. I think the son is a just a distraction. This family stretches wide and far.

The question I am asking is how the 2015 Asean opening will effect Thai politics and the general way of doing business in Thailand. When will

the young generation speak up and ask the tough questions and participate in critical thinking thus changing the landscape of politics..

Perhaps with Asean....they could employ a Cambodian PM here.

• Like 2

I'm of the opinion that Yingluck would exit her job at the first opportunity, we all know she didn't want it in the first place. However I think she will be forced to fight the next election and to serve one more term if she wins, she'll likely step down after that term and this guy will be the new show in town after spending one term in Parliament.

It wouldn't shock me if that was the master plan, but it is full of assumptions, one being that TS is still alive at the next election plus one, age and ill health wait for no one. I wonder to what extent his party would implode at his demise.

When is the next election due?

Does not really matter if he is ready not ..

give the voters 500 baht and they will vote for a donkey in a suit

In Thai language they say something similar, but concrete pole instead of donkey.