Authorities target dangerous foreign drivers in Chiang Mai

webfact

Authorities Target Dangerous Foreign Drivers in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- The chief of the Chiang Mai transport office, Chanchai Kilapaeng, has announced the opening of a special service centre that will help to ensure foreign drivers and those visiting the city abide by the local traffic laws.

The aim of the centre is to try and help reduce the number of accidents caused by foreign tourists who are unfamiliar with the roads and traffic laws in Chiang Mai. Many of these drivers are also unlicensed.

The plan to introduce the service centre was agreed after multi-agency discussions involving the Chiang Mai transport office, tourist police, traffic police and immigration officials.

During the discussions, Mr Chanchai said the various officials discussed the possibility of introducing measures in order to reduce road traffic accidents and other problems caused on the roads by foreign tourists who are not only unfamiliar with Chiang Mai’s road network, but who also get behind the wheel of a vehicle without having the correct documentation, such as an international driving license.

Mr Chanchai went on to announce the start of an advertising campaign that will be used to promote the new service centre is to be launched by the end of October.

Police will then actively begin cracking down on dangerous foreign drivers who violate traffic laws and/or drive without a valid license from 1st November 2013.

tvn.png
-- 2013-10-08

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...but who also get behind the wheel of a vehicle without having the correct documentation, such as an international driving license."

Rental cars do not require international driving licenses ... does anyone know if Thai law does?

From my understanding you do require an international licence that is translated into Thai and if you are in the country for 3 months or more then you require a Thai driver licence. Australia has the same laws. I have also heard that if you are involved in a collision then the Thai insurance companies will only accept a Thai driver licence but I will stand corrected.

"...but who also get behind the wheel of a vehicle without having the correct documentation, such as an international driving license."

Rental cars do not require international driving licenses ... does anyone know if Thai law does?

From my understanding you do require an international licence that is translated into Thai and if you are in the country for 3 months or more then you require a Thai driver licence. Australia has the same laws. I have also heard that if you are involved in a collision then the Thai insurance companies will only accept a Thai driver licence but I will stand corrected.

That's what I've been told, but, on the tollway was once told that I had to have an International licence because my Thai licence was only really for Thais. No, I didn't pay the requested 200 after my wife argued with the cop.

Cool. It has been announced by the police dep. peviously that most accidents are caused by thais who are drunk, think they own the roads and violate traffic laws even tho they are well aware of them. So now they are going to target foreigners to reduce the number of accidents that are mostly caused by careless thai drivers who got their licenses for 400thb after being able to tell the difference btw the steering wheel and the windshield to the instructor.

I believe it is going to solve the problem.

I rented a van from Budget a few weeks ago to drive from Bangkok to Phuket.

Although, fortunately, we were not involved in any accident, I scratched the roof on a low-hanging sign and was told upon returning it that it was not a problem as they had 'been able to' provide no-excess insurance because I had originally presented an IDP OR a Thai licence - although they would still have rented me the car without it.

The reason I now always get an IDP is because, on a previous trip (several years ago) I was fined a receipted ฿400 on a tollway .. not for breaking any road law but because I was carrying my Aussie licence only and no IDP.

Cool. It has been announced by the police dep. peviously that most accidents are caused by thais who are drunk, think they own the roads and violate traffic laws even tho they are well aware of them. So now they are going to target foreigners to reduce the number of accidents that are mostly caused by careless thai drivers who got their licenses for 400thb after being able to tell the difference btw the steering wheel and the windshield to the instructor.

I believe it is going to solve the problem.

It is easier to target the white guy, give him a ticket then raise whiskey glasses and say "cheer" for a big success. Meanwhile Somchai heading home after drinking with the local Police, hammered from bottles and bottles of Leo drives on the wrong side of the road, and hits another driver killing them instantly, then getting off the next day after a brown envelope carrying a fee of innocence is exchanged.

• Like 1

when I was pulled over on an arterial road on the way to a ferry, driving well and within the speed limits, one of the two policemen said he couldn't understand my English licence, but if I were to pay 200bht I would be allowed to continue my journey, I of course paid,.... and counted the number of cars behind and in front of me... I estimated that they were making approx. 12000+ bht per hour.. ( split x 2 )... nice wages...

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal. Do not post using overly large font.

Top Marks to Khun Chanchai for having the guts to do it.

Sure, there are plenty of Thai drivers/ motor cycle and push-bike riders who should never be allowed on the roads, but just take a look at how many Foreign Clowns are out there too. No helmets, no manners, no idea and NO BRAINS.

They seem to think they can come to Thailand and just do as they please. They'd never dream of trying the same rubbish in their home country, but "ah well, this is Thailand and I can show the locals how smart I am," seems to be the attitude of far too many of these characters.

Yes, I'm all for a crackdown on Idiots on our roads, starting with the Foreigners and then to show good faith, doing the same with the locals.

• Like 1