American returning to the U.S.A. with nothing..?

Greetings from....yes...Pattaya....Two ladies scammed me, lesson learned. Putting a house in her name isn't exactly smart but it's only money.

Intelligent questions for any Americans out there who have returned to the U.S.A. beaten men.

If you only have a Thai drivers liscense, your USA one having expired and unable to renew same online combined with no address in the U.S.A, can you rent a car at major airports? without a credit card? Valid passport and some cash, just no "home" address cause "I ain't got no home". Example: Arrive at LAX and rent a mini-van or camper?

Where do you get the free health care advertised for those with no income?

Can you qualify for food stamps and/or welfare(cash) and housing if you have no income history? If yes, where and what sort of time laspe is involved?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear sounds painful, for what its worth, and this is in the UK and Europe, they will not accept a foreign drivers licence if its not printed in Roman lettering so my Chinese licence was not acceptable, yet my HK licence was !

I only applied for a CC to enable me to rent a car or book hotels on line. Car rentals will not let you have a car without a CC as they use that CC to block amounts in case of damages etc not covered by insurance so I think you may be in trouble.

As for home address, can you not use the address of a family member or friend, just tell them you don't live in the USA but the address you give them you can be contacted at.

Good luck

I found another thread about the driving issue with varied opinions.

The credit card is another major issue. I have a debit card(VISA) but when I left most rental car companies didn't accept debit cards....FYI, Thai electron VISA cards aren't accepted for online purchases either.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/671969-american-with-expired-us-drivers-license-but-have-thai-dl/

Sorry to hear about yet another foreigner scammed out of his money by a thai lady. Hope you sort it all out and learn something out of this.

To make a long story short, she had a Thai boyfriend the entire time we were together and admitted it when I caught or shall we say stumbled upon them in a short time motel over across 3rd road. At least it was a quick and easy parting of ways and money. It was the motorcycle I'd bought her for her birthday parked behind the curtain which for some reason made matters seem very sad and realistic at the same time.

Sorry to hear about yet another foreigner scammed out of his money by a thai lady. Hope you sort it all out and learn something out of this.

To make a long story short, she had a Thai boyfriend the entire time we were together and admitted it when I caught or shall we say stumbled upon them in a short time motel over across 3rd road. At least it was a quick and easy parting of ways and money. It was the motorcycle I'd bought her for her birthday parked behind the curtain which for some reason made matters seem very sad and realistic at the same time.

Is this Mango from pattaya live and rockhouse???

Your Thai license is good in California without getting the International Driver's Permit (IDP) for it. Easily verified on the California DMV website. Without a credit card though you're out of luck renting a car although you might look for one of the rent-a-wreck places that rent crappy but serviceable cars.

Edited by sbk

https://www.rentawreck.com/index.html

Alternatives to Credit Card Payment

Many, but not all, Rent-A-Wreck locations will rent to cash customers. Most locations will require that cash customers fill out a cash qualification questionnaire at the rental location during normal business hours so that it may be verified. A cash deposit will be required if a credit card is not presented for payment. If you are interested in renting a car using cash, please contact the individual location for their specific prices and policies.

I don't think you can rent a car or van. If you're planning to live in a van, I think it would be more expensive than renting a cheap room. For medical care, most counties have something called cmsp, county medical services program, or something to that extent. If you are indigent, and present yourself at a hospital , they are forced to treat you. If you have assets, they can eventually take them from you. If you have no assets, there is nothing to take.

Before going to Thailand maybe to retire do your home work.A legal 30 year lease. Go back to your original home fairly regularly.Keep credit cards and drivers license up to date.Have A relative or friend to use their address.That's just A few things.There are plenty of books out on this subject.

"If you only have a Thai drivers liscense, your USA one having expired ..."

There were times when I returned to the US and my Illinois Drivers' License had expired, but Illinois DMV still had me in their computers. I never had a problem getting a new license, sometimes I needed to take a test, sometimes not. So if your previous license was from California (assuming you're landing in LAX), you could probably get a new license fairly soon without much hassle aside from providing a legal address. In my case I just used the friend's address where I was staying while there. Not likely to be of any help immediately as you step off the plane though.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

In Texas, they hold your DL info for a maximum of 4 years after it expires and any renewal within this period is relatively easy. It can be done online as long as the last expired DL had your digital photo embedded. Otherwise, it's time to get in line and start anew with an address and SSN.

Different states have different residency requirements for things like Medicaid and food stamps, etc. Some you have to be a resident for 6 months, for instance.

There are forums online for people who try to beat the system. They know all of the tricks including which state is best. I would do my homework there before I left LOS.

Don't forget that every town of any size has a shelter, and many churches serve free lunches. The shelters usually have a time limit, but once you hit one you'll meet lots of guys who know how to survive and where to go next. The shelters will provide food, and bed, and laundry, and even clothes if you need them.

Start with something like a gospel mission rather than the Salvation Army. The SA has gotten greedy but if you check into a GM all you need is to talk to the guys and start learning the ropes. They get around without cars or jobs and make a lifestyle out of it.

Don't show up under the influence or with any such items with you. You'll be checked and kicked out.

I donate regularly to our local GM because they do a lot of good. I also go there to hire day workers for bigger jobs around my place. Always nice guys and hard workers, but they are hand picked by the mission for me. A lot of people go there to find workers so it's a good place to hang out in the morning early.

Edited by NeverSure

I have heard here and elsewhere that if you can prove you paid for the house, you can take legal action to sell it and get your money back. Anyone care to fill that bit in? My wife cheated me also, but I made sure it was not for more than I could afford to lose. Like going to Vegas here. Good luck, and hope you learned alot with the expensive education you got.

• Like 2

I don't personally like the idea of my tax dollar going in some fools pocket, but America is what it is. Do you have family (i.e. parents, siblings) whose home of record you can use? I do not own a home in the USA now, so for official purposes I use my fathers or my sisters address with no problems. I'm sure some homeless shelter will take you in, but a better choice is to find a religious outreach program, as they have experience in helping those in need. As far as the rental vehicle goes; forget about it....

Thai electron VISA cards aren't accepted for online purchases either.

Not necessarily so. I have a Bangkok Bank Electron card and it does work online. Check the back of the card. If it has the three digit CVV security code, it will work.

Alamo Rent-a-Car (Alamo.com) also accepts debit cards.

If they do accept a debit card, I am sure that they will want to pre-authorize the card, which is standard procedure for car rental companies. If you are returning back to the USA with nothing- presumably there will be no balance available in the account for them to capture successfully. Much the same as trying to rent a car with a conventional credit card that has been maxed out.

• Like 1

As you claim poverty, you'll want to established residence in a U.S. state that has Obamacare EXPANDED Medicaid. If you move to one of the tea party style states, like Georgia, you're out of luck, because the right wing governors of such states are opting out of the program which sadly they have the right to do based on the supreme court decision. On this you won't be on private insurance, you'll be on Medicaid. If you're lucky enough to gain employment you can probably then graduate to a subsidized private health care plan under Obamacare.

This map is likely out of date, but it's a start. Of course, at all costs, avoid the south (except Florida)!

http://www.advisory.com/Daily-Briefing/2012/11/09/MedicaidMap

Good Point Jingthing.

Why LA?

If I were in your situation, I would do some online homework to choose a place where I knew what social services would be offered. And I would go for a city. Obviously, urban living has its advantages - mass transit, usually more social services, and a bigger economy, which means more job / work options.

Not sure about your professional abilities, but I know a guy who moved back to the USA - Portland, I think. Or maybe Eugene. And he positioned himself in a city with mass transit and targeted the most affluent neighborhood nearby and became a professional Dog Walker, and caregiver. Now, I like dogs. And would enjoy working with them all the time. He went on to become a kind of Cesar Dog Whisperer and in 3 years had a big business with employees and ... tax problems.

Sorry I could not offer more specific info for your OP. Just offering a story of hope.

• Like 1