American returning to the U.S.A. with nothing..?

Your Thai license is good in California without getting the International Driver's Permit (IDP) for it. Easily verified on the California DMV website. Without a credit card though you're out of luck renting a car although you might look for one of the rent-a-wreck places that rent crappy but serviceable cars.

Actually, if California's new law about DL's passes their legislature and is signed into law, YOU can be an illegal from anywhere and get a DL! That means no passport, visa, former expired DLw00t.gif alt=w00t.gif> and you can still drive LEGALLY.

Only the five year Thai DL is reconized. The 1 year is not and is a temporary DL and says so on the DL>

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your Thai Licence IS valid. Read belowThis is from the California website: Many people seem to want to help you but many offer inaccurate advise. Do your own research online.On the website it tells you of at least 3 ways to get a California license.by mail, on person, or online.

International Driving Permits The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident. The IDP is only a translation of information contained on a person’s foreign driver license and is not required to operate a motor vehicle in California. Citations issued to a person in California who has an IDP, but does not have a California driver license will be placed on the Department of Motor Vehicle database. The IDP is also called an International Driver License, International License, etc. For more information about travel and driver licensing requirements outside of the US, visit the US State Department Road Safety Overseas website at: http://travel.state.gov/road_safety.html

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for all the replies once again.

There seems to be a lack of focus and confusion as to the purpose of my post.

I'm not broke, I don't want to sue her forcing a foreclosure on the house. I gave her the money to buy it, call it that. The fact the money was for a house is moot because I didn't get that as a provision of the "loan" to her or call it a gift. It didn't matter at the time.

I'm going back with "nothing" as I outlined an didn't need nor want to bore everyone with slimy details. Nothings implies broke, my apologies. However, my resources are quite limited and I simply want to rent a car or perfer something I could sleep in for a month or two. I have a small pension which supports me along with savings here in Thailand but isn't suffice of course for a decent USA lifestyle.

Where was I? Okay, no plane ticket now and renting a room by the month which is another thing you can do in Thailand much easier than say Los Angeles or Las Vegas or in the south, Florida or Georgia.

It's easy to toss peanut shells at me but they just bounce off. I'll survive for a while. Buying a car is an option I suppose but what you get for a few thousand dollars isn't going to be much. A fairly new dependable car/van/camper and the whole country is open to me. That's my idea. Not shuffling between the Salvation Army and various church missions.

Again, as for recovery of the funds spent on the house in her name now, I'm not interested in such a pursuit. It was my doings and common sense prevails. I just want to go back getting away from here forever. The lack of consideration has driven me away(almost).

Also if he was so broke how did he afford to live here with all the Visa runs he had to do.

Didn't do VISA runs. Had non Imm VISA's and renewals along with a recent retirement VISA. Visa's are easily obtained. To repeat, I wasn't and am not(yet) broke. The focus please is on how to handle the culture shock of returning to the U.S.A. after many years here and suffering financial as well as emotional losses and out and out brain cramps caused by the lack of consideration of others. Those and the lack of a DL.

• Like 2

Does your bank card have a "visa" on it? I ask because my Thai bank card does, even though I've never used it as a credit card.

Yes, electron with the VISA logo. It didn't work online(Air Asia) and I went to the bank where I was advised didn't work online. Another member has used his/hers online from another bank so they say. In either event, it's not a credit card, it's a debit card. Even prepaid travel cards from the USA(My bank there) don't work for renting cars as they are also debit cards. Getting an actual "credit card" even with a deposit seems impossible these days. (The American issued travel card(VISA) did work online)

Oh dear sounds painful, for what its worth, and this is in the UK and Europe, they will not accept a foreign drivers licence if its not printed in Roman lettering so my Chinese licence was not acceptable, yet my HK licence was !

I only applied for a CC to enable me to rent a car or book hotels on line. Car rentals will not let you have a car without a CC as they use that CC to block amounts in case of damages etc not covered by insurance so I think you may be in trouble.

As for home address, can you not use the address of a family member or friend, just tell them you don't live in the USA but the address you give them you can be contacted at.

Good luck

I have a Chinese licence too and they are flimsy things, for whatever reason the Chinese authorities haven't figured out how to produce credit card size plastic licences, but still give you these laminated green paper cards that anyone with a printer could make themselves at home. Despite having some English on them, most sections are only in Chinese, including your name, which is in Chinese. Hence they can't be used except with an accompanying international licence or translation.

To the OP: A Thai licence should be fine given it's completely bilingual and in credit card size though, provided you have the latest version, issued since 2007 or 2008 or so.

Cash may be accepted for some rental companies (although probably not the bigger ones) but they will probably require a large deposit of say $1000 or so, otherwise, at least bring a debit card. A debit card with visa/mastercard logo and raised lettering is as acceptable as a credit card, but I don't know of any Thai banks that issue them as most only issue visa electron cards, which are clearly not treated as credit cards, but as what they are, which are debit cards. Debit cards may be acceptable by some companies and/or locations to rent a car, but the amount the rental company authorizes to hold must be available for them to hold otherwise the rental will be refused.

Your Thai license is good in California without getting the International Driver's Permit (IDP) for it. Easily verified on the California DMV website. Without a credit card though you're out of luck renting a car although you might look for one of the rent-a-wreck places that rent crappy but serviceable cars.

Actually, if California's new law about DL's passes their legislature and is signed into law, YOU can be an illegal from anywhere and get a DL! That means no passport, visa, former expired DLw00t.gif alt=w00t.gif> and you can still drive LEGALLY.

Only the five year Thai DL is reconized. The 1 year is not and is a temporary DL and says so on the DL>

A lot of people say that because the Thai authorities claim that a 1-year licence is only valid for driving in Thailand. In reality, a foreign jurisdiction can accept a 1-year Thai licence too if it is deemed valid for use in their view. I know Australia would - because in NSW at least, you can choose between a 1,3 or 5 year validity licence, and even though a Thai one year one is "provisional" this doesn't make it any less valid, it's just valid for less time than the 5-year one.

Actually, if California's new law about DL's passes their legislature and is signed into law, YOU can be an illegal from anywhere and get a DL! That means no passport, visa, former expired DLw00t.gif and you can still drive LEGALLY.

It passed and was "signed" by numb nuts!

Edited by Mrjlh

There's a lot about his story that does not make sense. How did he support himself in Thailand in the first place? No mention of how he did that or his age. What type of Visa was he on?

I don't think you can rent a car or van. If you're planning to live in a van, I think it would be more expensive than renting a cheap room. For medical care, most counties have something called cmsp, county medical services program, or something to that extent. If you are indigent, and present yourself at a hospital , they are forced to treat you. If you have assets, they can eventually take them from you. If you have no assets, there is nothing to take.

This is incorrect, and unwise. Some hospitals are required to administer emergency care. No hospitals are required to give any other care. When hospitals are required to give emergency care, you still get a bill. Even if they are unable to collect, your credit will be ruined, making it very, very difficult to get housing, many jobs will be unavailable to you, you will not be able to borrow money to buy a car or a home, auto and health insurance premiums will be higher, and so on. When you do have wages and assets, you are subject to garnishment and seizure. You will be liable for the initial bill, plus interest and penalties. It's not as simple as "If you have no assets, there is nothing to take." That kind of cavalier attitude could destroy your future.

• Like 1

Took a friend to rent a car at the airport last week. Since he had previously declared bankruptcy, he was unable to get a credit card (he said). He has a debit card but the car rental agency would not accept it. You need a credit card to rent a car

Sorry to hear that you got stung Bruce and are planning on returning to the US. I know you are negative on Thailand right now, but are you sure that returning to the US is the smart thing to do? Things are really not very good in the US right now and are only going to get worse. You say Issan is not for you, but have you tried the Chiang Mai/Rai area? Lower cost of living than the coast and not nearly as crazy. Lots of American retirees in the area living solely on their SS payments. Just a suggestion.

• Like 1

Go to Oregon, it is cheaper. Easy to get a DL. e=mail a UPS store and rent a box for about 10 dollars per month. Now you have an address with a street name on it. Do it in Gold Beach or close to the Ca. state line. Do it in spring, it is cold now. Must have a CC to rent a car they will not accept a debit card and you must have a DL. Good luck.

A couple of people have mentioned Oregon. No, it's not easy to get a D/L in Oregon. Oregon has vote by mail, so when you get a D/L you are registered to vote. The first time you get the license you have to prove residency with two utility bills, and you have to show a certified copy of your birth certificate or naturalization papers to prove citizenship.

Other than that and a written test and a driving test in your own car or rented car, you're in.

There are plenty of decent flophouses in La La Land.

As far as renting a car, you're out of luck. Stick a thumb out, or catch a bus, get downtown, start in a hostel or shelter, then find a weekly apartment.

Get food stamps, get a job. Keep your eye on the ball, save, save, save, and in six months, you'll be on your feet again.

And don't be stupid. Forget Thailand.

Thailand wasn't the problem.

I don't want to be completely heartless and cruel, but...

Every time I read a story like this (there are so many) it seems to beg the question --

"Why are farangs, civilized and educated as they may be, so hopelessly gullible that

they allow an uneducated bar girl to relieve them of all their worldly possessions?"

It really boggles the mind... sick.gif

To BradinAsia post #20, the answer is "love" & sometimes first-time reciprocated lust. However, your assumptions are not always accurate.

I've met several "educated" bar girls in Pattaya, Phuket, Elongapo PI, & other places. Once in a nude bar in Guam, I bought a dancer with a PHD a drink. To my question "why are you here dancing nude when you have a doctorate," she replied "where else can I make around $50K for three months tax free?

Though some farang are indeed educated (or mentally programmed), if you're referring to being a college graduate, most farang I've seen in red-light districts have at most a HS diploma. That said, our real-life education is what matters more, meaning that your question begs a judgemental perspective which I won't touch with a ... well, you know.

I remember well having my "cherry" popped in Elongapo when I was a young & gullable sailor. After falling madly in "lust" with a bar girl, my ship pulled back in early & I caught my "lady" banging a U.S. marine. It happens to all of us, all that enjoy sex with wild & delightful ladies, that is. A prerequisite to this, of course, is that you have to leave your judgements at home along with whatever religious beliefs you have (except for more liberal Muslims, however, who -- provided they have less than four wives -- can take a "wife for a day" when on travel).

In my opinion, however, there is an even bigger element at play here: karma. If you view bar girls or anyone else for that matter with skeptimism & mistrust, then that is what you'll get back. Additionally, if you apply western judgementalism, the girls will despise you & want to cut off your pee-pee & throw it to the ducks.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

To BruceMangosteen (OP), both California & Washington state allow you to drive with your Thailand DL. The Washington DoL Driver Guide gives new residents 30 days to obtain a Washington license, while the California DMV Driver Handbook gives 10 days. Neither state provides time restrictions for students, tourists, etc., & neither book mentions the legality of an International Driver's License (IDL). However, California has a law on the books specifically denying recognition of an IDL as valid driving authority. Some rental agencies, however, require both the foreign license & the IDL.

Car Rentals. Some companies will allow you to rent without a CC. When I returned to the States in 2011, I rented a car at Enterprise in Fresno, California. When I told them I wanted to pay cash & not provide any CC info, they added a fairly expensive insurance clause as a condition as well as demanded a deposit (over $100 but less than $200; can't remember exactly how much). It was only when I relented & provided a USAA MC, they allowed me to decline the added insurance & forgo the deposit. In my case, since I had first tried not using my CC, they had me call USAA so that they could confirm my coverage.

Though I'm not an expert on this, I believe your "home State" reverts back to your last one, not-with-standing specific action on your part to change this. I know that voting is handled this way.

Health Insurance Exchanges are run either by the specific state or the federal government, depending on the state you choose to declare "home." If you're in the market for "choosing," then I'd do as other posters have suggested & choose a state that has opted for Expanded Medicaid. California is such a state

After falling madly in "lust" with a bar girl, my ship pulled back in early & I caught my "lady" banging a U.S. marine. It happens to all of us.....(snip).....

It can happen to some of us, but not all.

When you shack up with a working bar girl, it becomes more likely. She'll eagerly take what you provide for her, but when that handout becomes her average monthly income, she'll start looking for ways to increase her monthly income.

This however, is not a scam. If she had, or found a new Thai boyfriend, since setting up house you, and was having an affair with the Thai guy behind your back, this is not a scam either.

What would be a scam is if she was already married to the Thai guy at the time of shacking up with you, and/or she made a joint arrangement with the Thai guy to milk you for all you're worth.

What often happens with the last case scenario is that once the scam has been exposed, certain threats are then made towards the farang to ensure the money flow continues. Hence, the need for the farang to depart Thailand ASAP.

I'm not insinuating that this is the OP's situation.

If you are a senior, look for advise in your city Senior Center. They have resources and connections....Some mail boxes locations have street address that can be used for home address....If for a coincidence you are from San Diego I can give you all that info. Good luck, and take care.

• Like 2

Different states have different residency requirements for things like Medicaid and food stamps, etc. Some you have to be a resident for 6 months, for instance.

There are forums online for people who try to beat the system. They know all of the tricks including which state is best. I would do my homework there before I left LOS.

Don't forget that every town of any size has a shelter, and many churches serve free lunches. The shelters usually have a time limit, but once you hit one you'll meet lots of guys who know how to survive and where to go next. The shelters will provide food, and bed, and laundry, and even clothes if you need them.

Start with something like a gospel mission rather than the Salvation Army. The SA has gotten greedy but if you check into a GM all you need is to talk to the guys and start learning the ropes. They get around without cars or jobs and make a lifestyle out of it.

Don't show up under the influence or with any such items with you. You'll be checked and kicked out.

I donate regularly to our local GM because they do a lot of good. I also go there to hire day workers for bigger jobs around my place. Always nice guys and hard workers, but they are hand picked by the mission for me. A lot of people go there to find workers so it's a good place to hang out in the morning early.

"Different states have different residency requirements for things like Medicaid and food stamps ..."

I always maintained a legal address in Illinois even though I don't pay Illinois taxes, but I still vote based on my last address there. Twice I went back and did post grad degrees at the U of I and was charged in-state tuition. Never did things like Medicaid, food stamps and such.

Of course that was back in the days when Illinois wasn't teetering on the brink of bankruptcy ( or at least no one noticed). Things could be more restricted these days and, as you say, it varies from state to state. I expect women, children, the handicapped and the elderly will generate a moderately more sympathetic response than a single, able-bodied male ... not that sympathy should be a factor.

check out the Glf states, Louisiana, Mississppi, Alabama - since Katrina, there are many social programs designed to help people get back o their feet.............Illinois has to be one of the least productive states now, very repressed, Guld States are much warmer as well, ans seasonalis easier to come by.............good luck

Does your bank card have a "visa" on it? I ask because my Thai bank card does, even though I've never used it as a credit card.

Yes, electron with the VISA logo. It didn't work online(Air Asia) and I went to the bank where I was advised didn't work online. Another member has used his/hers online from another bank so they say. In either event, it's not a credit card, it's a debit card. Even prepaid travel cards from the USA(My bank there) don't work for renting cars as they are also debit cards. Getting an actual "credit card" even with a deposit seems impossible these days. (The American issued travel card(VISA) did work online)

My debit card works in any SCB ATM - the only shock is the reciept actally shows my Bank Balance in THB - I also only keep a few Thousand $$ in te debit card so if skimmed, I am only liable for a small amount.

Thanks for all the replies once again.

There seems to be a lack of focus and confusion as to the purpose of my post.

I'm not broke, I don't want to sue her forcing a foreclosure on the house. I gave her the money to buy it, call it that. The fact the money was for a house is moot because I didn't get that as a provision of the "loan" to her or call it a gift. It didn't matter at the time.

I'm going back with "nothing" as I outlined an didn't need nor want to bore everyone with slimy details. Nothings implies broke, my apologies. However, my resources are quite limited and I simply want to rent a car or perfer something I could sleep in for a month or two. I have a small pension which supports me along with savings here in Thailand but isn't suffice of course for a decent USA lifestyle.

Where was I? Okay, no plane ticket now and renting a room by the month which is another thing you can do in Thailand much easier than say Los Angeles or Las Vegas or in the south, Florida or Georgia.

It's easy to toss peanut shells at me but they just bounce off. I'll survive for a while. Buying a car is an option I suppose but what you get for a few thousand dollars isn't going to be much. A fairly new dependable car/van/camper and the whole country is open to me. That's my idea. Not shuffling between the Salvation Army and various church missions.

Again, as for recovery of the funds spent on the house in her name now, I'm not interested in such a pursuit. It was my doings and common sense prevails. I just want to go back getting away from here forever. The lack of consideration has driven me away(almost).

My advice is stay in Thailand move away from the tourist area's, somewhere like Khonkaen can get a decent room for 5000 baht a month and cheap to live there.

Your money will go a lot further than going back to the US, and you will still be able to get fresh food and fruit and cheap beer.

I found another thread about the driving issue with varied opinions.

The credit card is another major issue. I have a debit card(VISA) but when I left most rental car companies didn't accept debit cards....FYI, Thai electron VISA cards aren't accepted for online purchases either.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/671969-american-with-expired-us-drivers-license-but-have-thai-dl/

i use a debit card with the visa logo to rent a vehicle at the airport and for online purchases all the time.

for the car rental you need to have an available balance to cover the rental, and that balance is placed on hold until the rental is terminated an settled.

Using a debit card in the US is easy ans safe, I have a dedicated checking account that I use for my online transactions,

in it I maintain a balance sufficient for my transaction needs, is I need more I simply go to my primary checking account of the same bank and electronically transfer funds at no cost , if there are unauthorized transactions they can only get me for the limited amount available in that account, and my bank refunds all the unauthorized transactions with in days.

I don't think you can rent a car or van. If you're planning to live in a van, I think it would be more expensive than renting a cheap room. For medical care, most counties have something called cmsp, county medical services program, or something to that extent. If you are indigent, and present yourself at a hospital , they are forced to treat you. If you have assets, they can eventually take them from you. If you have no assets, there is nothing to take.

This is incorrect, and unwise. Some hospitals are required to administer emergency care. No hospitals are required to give any other care. When hospitals are required to give emergency care, you still get a bill. Even if they are unable to collect, your credit will be ruined, making it very, very difficult to get housing, many jobs will be unavailable to you, you will not be able to borrow money to buy a car or a home, auto and health insurance premiums will be higher, and so on. When you do have wages and assets, you are subject to garnishment and seizure. You will be liable for the initial bill, plus interest and penalties. It's not as simple as "If you have no assets, there is nothing to take." That kind of cavalier attitude could destroy your future.

Thousandpercent,

Thanks for saying this!!! I can't seem to find medical (travel) insurance for a trip home to the US, (that actually covers anything) and I can't tell you how many people, educated people, tell me this BS about "just go to any hospital, they have to treat illegal aliens, they will have to treat you" as if there are no consequences. And IF you have assests, as I have a fair amount, enough to be retired in Thailand, that they won't take those assets from you to pay the bill. I really don't understand why certain fellow Americans seem to have no understanding about this!

I mean, really, the whole point, isn't that I am worried I will die if I visit with no insurance, it is that I will be presented with $100K or $300K bill when I leave, and that will seriously impact my living standard forever since I no longer work. Anyway, sorry to be off topic a bit here.

After falling madly in "lust" with a bar girl, my ship pulled back in early & I caught my "lady" banging a U.S. marine. It happens to all of us.....(snip).....

It can happen to some of us, but not all.

. If she had, or found a new Thai boyfriend, since setting up house you, and was having an affair with the Thai guy behind your back, this is not a scam either.

What would be a scam is if she was already married to the Thai guy at the time of shacking up with you, and/or she made a joint arrangement with the Thai guy to milk you for all you're worth.

Mighty Mouse,

<deleted>?? A female who has a Thai b/f BEFORE, or AFTER setting up house with you is NOT a scam.

A female with a Thai husband at the TIME of "shacking up with you" is a scam.

Where did you read this rule book?? Again, I say, <deleted>???

Mighty Mouse,

<deleted>?? A female who has a Thai b/f BEFORE, or AFTER setting up house with you is NOT a scam.

Another screamer. You remind me of the XO on my last ship. He ended up in the loony bin, btw.

I completely disagree with you for a couple of reasons.

1. In my post example, I discovered the PI girl with the U.S. marine when I returned early & peered through her window to see if she was home. The marine flipped out & started chasing me. As I ran around a corner, I bumped into a young lady at a Sorry Sorry Store; she befriended me & I ended up spending the night with her. Come morning, she started talking about how the chirping crickets meant she'd get some money today -- she was married to a U.S. sailor! She never asked me for money & we remained friends afterward. No scam, just a very sexual girl who loved sex, especially getting eaten.

2. I've known several married Thai women who enjoy extramarital sex, most of whom's husbands are not only aware of it but both encourage & enjoy the freedom.

For me. a scam is when someone sells you something (e.g., love, goods, security, etc.) under false pretenses; that is, they are stealing your money.

But never mind. It's okay to disagree. That is to be expected from a civil exchange of ideas relating to a specific topic. No need to let your emotions fly ...

I agree with Mighty Mouse. As I am a Thai woman at 47 "That 's life". It is kinds of trade off get something and have to give something.

Mighty Mouse,

Yep, I stick with my opinion regarding Pattaya's working girls.

They arrive in Pattaya by the bus load, not to look for long lasting romance, but to look for money, easy money.

They only have to be on the job for a couple of months and they have more male admirers than they could ever imagine having back in the village.

Paying customers should know that they are not her first and that they will not be her last. ....at least until she reaches her use-by-date....then she might look for a permanent partner, preferably one who has enough money to keep her happy or who will take good care of her.

You come along during her working life, fall for her good looks and charm, invite her to shack up with you and tell her that you will take care of all her expenses. She agrees and moves in with you.

Why wouldn't she???

In her real world, men do want men do. That is, they butterfly. Too much temptation in Pattaya for 99% of men to resist.

What's good for the goose, is good for the gander. She sees nothing wrong with getting a bit on the side either. Farang men or Thai men.

Whether or not she accepts money for these services is up to her.

There is no scam in this scenario. Cheating...yes, but no scam towards her live-in lover.

(You could argue whether in her Thai mind she is actually cheating. For her, giving her body to others on a temporary bases, is like kissing somebody on the cheek for us.)

Where it becomes a scam is where she sets out to entice her live-in lover to buy a house and put it all in her name, with the intention of dumping him and keeping the house for herself.

If she had, or now has a Thai boyfriend, and they both connive to cheat her farang live-in lover out of all his money, that is a scam.

If she was already married at the time of the farnang inviting her into his house, and she and her Thai husband benefit financially from the live-in arrangement, that is a scam.

I don't wish to break forum rules by turning this thread into a discussion about working girls, but it was necessary to write what I have in order to make my point.

Pros and Cons: Farang and buy a house and Thai company

About a house" I post it on this topic for a purpose to tell a farang do not buy a house buy a condo under farang own name is my advice. (I have my own story to share about buy a house in Thailand)

Chinese wife she is 63 now. And in 2003 his son was in university in US. They did not want to be a caretaker for him in Thailand then. So this family get solution by asking me to be his Thai wife by accidental and still keep marry paper for his Chinese wife for legal matter. Due to she was in US. since she was 27 and never work in US at all. She will not entitle to any US SS benefit, this is only one reason a deal is not divorce Chinese wife for her benefit in US when an old husband pass on. And for myself and my path is help him develop agent business in Thailand with American buyers to come to Thai manufactures. All income for almost 10 years that support his Chinese wife in US and paid for his son a good living and got a car to ride to UCSD. All source of income both Thai and US family come from a company that I run a business.

After he went under 5 of L-spine surgery he completely cannot walk but pain get very good result of healing.

After surgery he lives his life on a wheelchair and have to wear adult diaper. I feed him and wash him caring him and in the mean time - do business correspondents by email to customers in US and he called by phone only. In 2004 customers did not know me but from a year customers visit manufactures in Thailand and get to know me was doing business in a company for him. Also-in a company (not homeowner) only me to run a business because we do not need staff for Agent business is on sell and bring buyer to factory and they do trading between buyer and manufacturer we got 4% from FOB price. He gave her 10,000 USD per month plus his SS check start when he was 65. He used to travel to Taiwan from time to time. He came to Thailand in 1996 because Taiwan stops to be industry/low labor cost country.

In 2004 we became a couple and his Chinese wife in Cal know it but she is ok because she said he need a caretaker. In 2004 he set up a company just for purpose of buying a house for 100,000USD. or 4 million THB then. My status had transferred form Thai wife to be a business partner. Because of my experience job from trading company, I run a business for almost 10 years and I send money to US from 2004 to Chinese wife and son until he graduate in 2008. Unfortunately it was not good time to get job it was sub-prime and CDO crisis then. In 2009 after Lehman Brother collapsed 90% of our customers filed Chapter 11. Thai manufactures that sent shipments to various US customers lost millions of dollars. We got hit too. We lost all our money we and must be part of our buyer to pay debts to factories because most of factories run business by bank loan when business good they honestly pay us our commission. So we cannot just turn our back on them. Factories close down and have to provide some money to workers. In Jan 2010 we have nothing left. Only a house to live in but big issue is his hospital and med bills that about 1,000 dollars per month at Bangkok hospital. A sickly old man is the one who suffer from his son order do not let me come to visit him at nursing home in Bangkok. I do not care to sell a house and give money to his son. But in return I need LEGAL paper between me and the old man. I am working now I make my own income as a working in import company.

It seem yours and my situation are not balance world.

Hope this is useful data for any expat in Thailand

ISSUE; BUY HOUSE IN THAILAND

Posted 2013-10-04 11:24:37

I have my own story to share about buy a house in Thailand. Now I am Thai 47 years. In 2003 when I was unemployed from Trading company because of the company need to get out from Thailand and do relocate in China after China in WTO in 2000. My friend who is a nurse in Bangkok hospital ask me to work as a Caretaker for 71 years American (he went under L-spine surgery for 5 of them need one year continue rehab and caring) he did trading business in Thailand and living apart from his Chinese American wife in Cal. But a year later in 2004 we became a couple and his Chinese wife in Cal know it but she is ok because she said he need a caretaker. In 2004 he set up a company just for suppose of buying a house for 100,000USD. or 4 million THB then. We were together until April 2013. He got very sick and his Chinese/American son came to Thailand and put him in Nursing Care in Bangkok locate nearby our house and his son cut me out from him also his son apply to be SS Rep Payee to get his benefit from US SS office and transfer payment to Nursing Care direct from Cal. His son wants to get 50% of shareholder for house ownership. Under Thai law to set up a company you must have at least 3 shareholders and 51% must be Thai so I am that 51% and he is 49% lawyer 1%. I am entailed to a company asset and a son entailed to nothing as long as his father life. When father pass away 48% shareholder must be transfer to his son but practical is not an issue because everything must have my signature since I am only authorizes Managing Director in a company. I am a Managing Director of a company.

Posted 2013-10-04 11:37:48

His son cannot do anything without my signature. I offer to his son I want to sell a house and 50% to him and to me. But I need to get a legal paper between his father and me in Thailand. I want to come to visit his father as long as he is living in nursing care in Bangkok (he cannot walk and lost memory from Alzheimer disease he is 81) his son instructed a nursing home do not let me come to see him. So I want his son to let me replace him and be a SS Rep Payee for him. Because I am not married him and he did not divorce. But his son gets me out from his father and I get his asset in Thailand. His son is very angry to me but he cannot do anything unless he let me see his farther as a Rep Payee. Then I will sign a paper for selling a house for him. Hope this is useful data for any expat here in Thailand.

Correct I am not legal wife and have no rights to see him. But I am a major shareholder in a company. And only one Managing Director from day one that set up a company for buying a house.

Wow. Thats quite a story.

So, were you lovers? In a committed relationship? or was it a business arrangement, pure and simple. You weren't married to him. The son has a mother who was married to him.

If you were cheating with him while he was married, which it sounds like, maybe you should understand the son's point of view and sell the assets and give him the majority, since it was his fathers money, not yours.

If OP served in the U.S. military, even for a short time and has a better-than-dishonorable discharge, he could be eligible for benefits that are often overlooked. Many veterans wrongly assume you had to be career military to have access to VA benefits. Unfortunately, the VA website and the VA itself is difficult to navigate, but they do have various programs in place to address the problem of homelessness and low income among veterans.

Edited by NancyL