Ah Sir khun mai Thai its Farang price for you!

DerekMc

I won't go if I have to pay more for being a farang, but I don't care much about waterfalls or zoos anyway.

You don't pay more. Thais get a discount. Speak Thai to them and tell them you are a Thai citizen but waiting your ID

No Thais don't get a discount, foreigners pay a premium

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/155854-new-entrance-fees-for-national-parks/

I disagree - locals get a reduction just like locals get a reduction at DisneyWorld = https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets/?affiliation=FL_RESIDENT
  • Like 1

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I as a rule will not go any where that demands more money for me and my wife will not either,

I find it hilarious that so many Westerners praise their country fairness to non-citizens, as with all the anti-immigrant sentiment in Europe and the U.S. that has been in the news lately and also the unprovoked attack on non-white residents in Europe by gangs of white youth shown on U-tube.

For 100 baht you would not be able to buy a box of popcorn in Disney land, where a child's ticket is up to $80.00. and an Adult ticket is $90. U.S. Dollars, any one 10 years or older pays adult prices.

If I make plans with the in-laws to go to a certain site, I go with the understanding that I may be asked to pay a highers price only one time at the Chiang Mai Zoo we were asked to pay a higher entrance fee needless to say the whole group decided to go elsewhere.

I make the decision at the time plans are made to whether I would pay a higher entrance fee or not before I agree to go.

Over all I find Thai prices very fair, but I chose if I want to pay them or not.

Cheers:wai2.gif .

I like your style, in general i get in for Thai price with a Thai drivers license if it does not work too bad. For stuff like government paid for parks and so on I can understand it partly. But the moment its for a commercial venue.. im gone unless I absolutely need or want it.

I won't go if I have to pay more for being a farang, but I don't care much about waterfalls or zoos anyway.

You don't pay more. Thais get a discount. Speak Thai to them and tell them you are a Thai citizen but waiting your ID

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/155854-new-entrance-fees-for-national-parks/

I disagree - locals get a reduction just like locals get a reduction at DisneyWorld = https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets/?affiliation=FL_RESIDENT

Only thing is that here I am a local too just like the Thais i live here too.. I can understand it going for tourists. I bet it would apply to ALL locals even if they are not from the USA.

National Park fees have been 10 - 20 - 40 Baht FOR EVERYONE, Thai and foreigner alike for decades, then at one point some 10 year ago the the Government announced that from that day a foreigner would be charged 10 times the entry price. They used those exact words.

Does that sound like someone got a reduction at that point.,

In 2007 they lowered the entry price for foreigners as shown in the link in my previous post, because tour buses avoided the parks as the pest.

I as a rule will not go any where that demands more money for me and my wife will not either,

I find it hilarious that so many Westerners praise their country fairness to non-citizens, as with all the anti-immigrant sentiment in Europe and the U.S. that has been in the news lately and also the unprovoked attack on non-white residents in Europe by gangs of white youth shown on U-tube.

For 100 baht you would not be able to buy a box of popcorn in Disney land, where a child's ticket is up to $80.00. and an Adult ticket is $90. U.S. Dollars, any one 10 years or older pays adult prices.

If I make plans with the in-laws to go to a certain site, I go with the understanding that I may be asked to pay a highers price only one time at the Chiang Mai Zoo we were asked to pay a higher entrance fee needless to say the whole group decided to go elsewhere.

I make the decision at the time plans are made to whether I would pay a higher entrance fee or not before I agree to go.

Over all I find Thai prices very fair, but I chose if I want to pay them or not.

Cheers:wai2.gif .

I like your style, in general i get in for Thai price with a Thai drivers license if it does not work too bad. For stuff like government paid for parks and so on I can understand it partly. But the moment its for a commercial venue.. im gone unless I absolutely need or want it.

I agree with Mr. kikoman, i did an exception fo Wat Phra Keow, because i thought it was worth.

At the same time , quite often i advice tourists to boycott double price venues, it's a shame a working class tourist have to pay 10 times the price a Thai billionaire pays.

• Like 1

We in Austria also charge the Germans and Japanese double, triple than the locals.

If my parents ordering a schnaps (some high alcohol drink) they pay less than foreigner and the waiter takes the other bottle which is not watered down.

rip off here rip off there.....same same

Not quite same same everywhere, in The UK all visitors are charged the same as UK Citizens,it's against the law to discriminate in this manner!

Unless you're a foreign student where you'll be expected to pay up to £16,000 a year for an undergraduate degree rather than the £9000 that UK and EU students pay.

You forgot to mention there are many variations in Education,such as Foreign Students are not entitled to the finances of our Education system,they don't have to be Educated in the UK,they can choose anywhere in the world,or stay in there own Country and get their Education. Our own Students are left with a huge bill from their grant which has to be paid back at some time,when their earning power increases. I don't know where you get your figure of £9,000 from,my daughter had a bill for £12,500 compliments of the Labour Government of the time + another £10,000 accomodation + living expenses from her part time work. at the end of her 2.1 degree course,and that was 13 years ago,which was Leicester Uni,and not Eton or Cambridge. And finally do you really expect this tiny Island of ours to foot the bill to Educate the World? you are comparing entry fees of Universities to entry costs to Tourist attractions, apples and pears!

The point you miss is Thailand doesn't give equality on entrance fees,the UK does! that's what the Topic is about!

• Like 1

We in Austria also charge the Germans and Japanese double, triple than the locals.

Also when those Germans are married to an Australian wife and have Australian children ?

Austria not Australia. Australia is a small island just off the coast.

The nicest way to get around this,is to let the Thai wives go ahead buy the tickets for Thais and "Farangs" and then appear at the Ticket booth,by this time the deal is done and I haven't been involved in any argument yet. This is particulary good for Hotel rooms,the wives go ahead inspect the rooms,and the men join them at Reception wallets at the ready, we always get good quality Hotel rooms at a reasonable price,thanks to our wives of course! bless em.

• Like 1

If my parents ordering a schnaps (some high alcohol drink) they pay less than foreigner and the waiter takes the other bottle which is not watered down.

Not quite same same everywhere, in The UK all visitors are charged the same as UK Citizens,it's against the law to discriminate in this manner!

Unless you're a foreign student where you'll be expected to pay up to £16,000 a year for an undergraduate degree rather than the £9000 that UK and EU students pay.

You forgot to mention there are many variations in Education,such as Foreign Students are not entitled to the finances of our Education system,they don't have to be Educated in the UK,they can choose anywhere in the world,or stay in there own Country and get their Education. Our own Students are left with a huge bill from their grant which has to be paid back at some time,when their earning power increases. I don't know where you get your figure of £9,000 from,my daughter had a bill for £12,500 compliments of the Labour Government of the time + another £10,000 accomodation + living expenses from her part time work. at the end of her 2.1 degree course,and that was 13 years ago,which was Leicester Uni,and not Eton or Cambridge. And finally do you really expect this tiny Island of ours to foot the bill to Educate the World? you are comparing entry fees of Universities to entry costs to Tourist attractions, apples and pears!

The point you miss is Thailand doesn't give equality on entrance fees,the UK does! that's what the Topic is about!

If you actually bothered to read what I wrote rather than go off on yet another political rant you will see that I said that UK students are expected to pay £9000 A YEAR for their tuition fees. That's the maximum that English universities are allowed to charge for tuition for British and EU students. I made no mention of accommodation as the universities aren't responsible for that. BTW Eton is a school not a university.

a couple of years ago, i was back home during summer. And i did go to the swimming pool.

In front of me, 2 young chineses student, they just show their university card and get their fee slashed.

Me, in my own home town, i paid the full price...... do i complain. NO because this is not racial discrimination!

@ sustento reply to Post No 41

Did I say Eton was a University? (but it is considered amongst the finest and the epitomy of education,which was my point,as you well know) and as for rants,the last Labour Party brought in students having to pay for their own University Education,which was unfair on that generation,small wonder there was riots.You also chose to ignore the following,considering the Topic.

And finally do you really expect this tiny Island of ours to foot the bill to Educate the World? you are comparing entry fees of Universities to entry costs to Tourist attractions, apples and pears!

So there's another chance for you to answer!
And also some facts to support your claims and figures would be welcome,although why you think British and EU Students should be compared with Foreign Students in the UK,and prices for entrance fees to Tourist attractions and Events is beyond me!

Absolutely right, the UK is equally unfair to everyone wink.png

My wife was quite surprised that I had to pay to go into Buckingham Palace, she accepted that she should pay, but said "but you've paid already, this is your country".

Bless her! I can see her point, principles come without prizes,and takes a lot of understanding!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 2

The last time I visited the Chiangmai zoo I got in for free as I am a senior citizen. The only thing was that to see the 2 pandas everyone had to pay extra and a sign said in Thai that Thais paid just a little and farangs had to pay much more. I showed my 5 year Thai license and paid Thai price but then went to view the pandas, only ONE was there it seems that one was out for medical treatment I went back to get half my money back, 1 panda 10 baht 2 panda 20 baht

• Like 1

We were looking for a really large ice chest. I bargained with the local supplier in the town near my home and got him down to 2800 baht. But, I didn't buy it then, I went home and came back with my wife the next day, not to get the price down further but to get her approval that the ice chest was what she wanted and to pick a color. The guy got upset that I came back with my wife and wouldn't go below 3000 baht. I keep reminding her that the "farang" price is better than the Thai price.

@ sustento reply to Post No 41

Did I say Eton was a University? (but it is considered amongst the finest and the epitomy of education,which was my point,as you well know) and as for rants,the last Labour Party brought in students having to pay for their own University Education,which was unfair on that generation,small wonder there was riots.You also chose to ignore the following,considering the Topic.

And finally do you really expect this tiny Island of ours to foot the bill to Educate the World? you are comparing entry fees of Universities to entry costs to Tourist attractions, apples and pears!

So there's another chance for you to answer!
And also some facts to support your claims and figures would be welcome,although why you think British and EU Students should be compared with Foreign Students in the UK,and prices for entrance fees to Tourist attractions and Events is beyond me!

This thread is about dual pricing with the usual 'Oh it's only the Thais who dual price' guff...

UK and EU students maximum fees per year in 2013 £9000

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/going-to-university-in-england/

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2010/dec/09/tuition-fees-vote-government-wins-narrow-victory

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/fees/index.aspx

International versus UK/EU fees at Nottingham University - one of the Russell Group (i.e. posh) universities...

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/fees/tuitionfees/201314/ugcourses201314.aspx

• Like 1

Many tourist places as well as transportation systems, in Europe at least, have reduced prices for locals. In Switzerland I could travel half price on the railways, it wasn't worth buying the document necessary for my wife to do the same just for three months.

Nope, we all show our Thai DL, and get in for the Thai price.

Normally yes, but at my last visit to Kho Lanta National Park I was charged 200 instead of 20 Baht. When I complained the lady (yes, in Thai) just told me, that only in the North of Thailand a discount is given. In her eyes, Thai price is for Thai people, and as long as I cannot provide a Thai ID-Card...

Edit: mention Thai language to avoid stupid comments

Edited by hkt83100

So much for western expats bringing too much money into Thailand, here the OP wants to pay 20 baht.

I bet you can't speak a word of Thai, and you want to pay Thai rates.

All Thai citizens, regardless of origin should pay Thai rates. Permanent residents pay a tad bit more. All tourists pay tourist rates, nothing close to the Thai citizen rate, at least double. We should do the same thing in America.

Yep UK we rip everyone off except the unemployed & social scroungers we just give them money.

It is true foreigners have to pay more as thai citizens, some years ago i wanted to visite the park in Sukhothai, i had to pay

400bath while my wife only pay 40 bath, i egger myself a lot to the woman who sales the ticket, even i showed her my tajibaan

i still had to pay 400bath

An other time i go to Khao Yai, even i had to pay full price also showing them the yellow book, they ask me can you show me your drivers license,

in that time i still not got it, so it means when you can show thai driver license you pai same as thai peoples

So much for western expats bringing too much money into Thailand, here the OP wants to pay 20 baht.

I bet you can't speak a word of Thai, and you want to pay Thai rates.

so in other words if you speak thai you should pay less as if that's some great accomplishment.

maybe if they started charging more for people that don't speak English in America, more people would

simply learn English rather than complain double standards and not what America is about, equality.

Anywhere there is a double standard in pricing I don't go because submitting to that degrades my integrity.

"I bet you can't speak a word of Thai, and you want to pay Thai rates." by far the most ignorant thing I've heard in a long time bah.gif

• Like 2

No h90...that's far from being the same--- What you are doing is ripping off a customer, & as an Australian I can say that if you--or your employer were found out, then action would be taken. So please do not talk about we in Australia when all your talking about is some hole in the wall joint taking advantage of some tourist that wanders in there for a drink---- What the OP is complaining about, is a state ordered policy to charge another fee because of Race / origin ---No we don't have that in Australia, if you get into a line to enter sea world , go to dive the great barrier reef, you would pay the same amount that a Japanese person next to you pays.

As someone that has worked in the Australian Tourist industry ---the place you are talking about.....If it ever existed...... would be a disgrace to Australia and to any fair minded person that worked there.

It is true foreigners have to pay more as thai citizens, some years ago i wanted to visite the park in Sukhothai, i had to pay

400bath while my wife only pay 40 bath, i egger myself a lot to the woman who sales the ticket, even i showed her my tajibaan

i still had to pay 400bath

An other time i go to Khao Yai, even i had to pay full price also showing them the yellow book, they ask me can you show me your drivers license,

in that time i still not got it, so it means when you can show thai driver license you pai same as thai peoples

Yes then you pai same as thai peoples !