India moves to ease visas.

craigt3365

NEW DELHI, 9 October 2013: India is looking at issuing visas on arrival for visitors from 40 more countries, a minister has said, raising hopes it will overcome national security fears to boost its tourism industry.

A meeting of senior officials from the home, foreign and tourism ministries, as well as intelligence officers, concluded on Monday evening with a consensus in favour of the sweeping visa reform.

There was a consensus about initiating the process to make India a tourist-friendly country and extending the on-arrival visa facility to around 40 more countries, Planning Minister Rajeev Shukla told the Press Trust of India news agency.

Continued:

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2013/10/india-moves-to-ease-visas/

Anyone know if Thailand is on the list of the 40 countries? Or when it will actually come into effect?

My wife and I have flights booked to India for late December. I picked up a 10 year multi-entry visa in the US a few years ago, but it would be great if she didn't have to deal with getting a visa.

I hope you have a couple of Armed Guards to accompany you and protect your wife.

I've been to India several times in years gone by to write and produce Travel stories for newspapers, radio and t.v. I enjoyed some parts of it, although nearly "died" on a bloody awful trekking expedition and despite my love of Indian Food, I came home with a very bad case of Delhi Belly.

In light of numerous recent events involving rape and murder and the lack of any serious action by the Indian Authorities, I think INDIA is, at the moment, one of the Last Places on Earth to take your wife.

• Like 2

I hope you have a couple of Armed Guards to accompany you and protect your wife.

I've been to India several times in years gone by to write and produce Travel stories for newspapers, radio and t.v. I enjoyed some parts of it, although nearly "died" on a bloody awful trekking expedition and despite my love of Indian Food, I came home with a very bad case of Delhi Belly.

In light of numerous recent events involving rape and murder and the lack of any serious action by the Indian Authorities, I think INDIA is, at the moment, one of the Last Places on Earth to take your wife.

Just for the record, I was in India with my wife a couple of times in the last year, once in Bombay and the second time in Madras we walked the markets and moved around .

We never felt threatened two enjoyable trips, I would rate it on a par with Bangkok for safety, very safe so long as you are not stupid and dripping gold

• Like 2

Just for the record, I was in India with my wife a couple of times in the last year, once in Bombay and the second time in Madras we walked the markets and moved around .

We never felt threatened two enjoyable trips, I would rate it on a par with Bangkok for safety, very safe so long as you are not stupid and dripping gold

Agree; have been to many parts of India with my wife over the past 2 years and never had a problem

• Like 1

india is safe. just check the sheer size of this country (subcontinent). never been into trouble there except for 1 (one) taxi rip off. tourists rarely get into trouble or fall out of windows. at night some places can be dodgy but just stay away and u're ok!

I was with my Thai girlfriend in India last Year. We have been in New Delhi, Agra, Varanasi and Darjeeling. It was easy to get the visa's, even more easy for my Thai girlfriend than for me. India is quite dirty in many places and very poor, but we never had problems. The people were friendly. But you should always use your common sense while traveling around. Women should wear decently clothing.

• Like 1

Am leaving India now. First time visitor. Went for birding. My next hop will be with out a woman in tow. I had no problems, but the stares at her were kind of scary. She hated it with a passion. Dirty to point of not being enjoyable in the city's for me also. Food was delicious to say the least.

Extremely easy visa for Thai people. Most go for a religious experience. And thousands go every year. The city's were expensive comped to Thailand. At least where I wanted to stay. So???? Not an enjoyable tourist destination for me only I guess. But will be heading back to other birding sites only now.

Edited by garyk

Anyone know if Thailand is on the list of the 40 countries? Or when it will actually come into effect?

My wife and I have flights booked to India for late December. I picked up a 10 year multi-entry visa in the US a few years ago, but it would be great if she didn't have to deal with getting a visa.

A retired Brigadier in India once told me that it's not usually the food that causes that. It is more likely to be in contamination of water that you drank. You have to almost paranoid about drinking water safety.

Visas are a pain for anyone wanting to visit India. However public sanitation is a much bigger issue. They really need to clean up their act if they want to encourage tourism.

There is a serious problem of people defecating in the street. We're talking number 1's and number 2's right where they stand.

Say what you will about scams, traffic etc. in Thailand its one of the cleanest countries in the region.

Edited by Pui

Visa on arrival, free plane ticket and hotel paid for would not get me to visit that place again!

No flamming please.I am entitled to my opinion horrible place.wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20> I am sure this feeling is shared by many

why ?

My experience landing dirt filthy airport, horrible immigration officers, touts outside followed by beggars and aggressive Taxi drivers. Luckily the money exchange in the airport gave me a pile of change to deal with them. Bad traffic, pollution garbage everywhere,Dirty overated hotel Indian men staring at women like they have never seen one before in their lives. Corrupt police that make Thai and PI police look like village bobbies. The list is endless.

Could not agree more, $hitting in the street in this day and age is just wrong.

Edited by Pui

I've been a regular business visitor to India since 2006. Business Visas have been getting more difficult over the years, to the point this year I actually had to have an interview at the embassy (and they only gave me a 2 entry 6-month visa), we are nearly at the point of saying sod it as the returns are getting marginal (screwing the foreign contractor is something they are very good at).

Having worked in Delhi, Kolkatta, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Chennai I can safely say that the further south you go the better. Hyderabad and Bangalore are modern, relatively clean (by Indian standards) cities, but as a tourist I would avoid the place.

Interesting reading on the sanitation issue http://www.firstpost.com/india/toilets-in-india-the-statistics-stink-744025.html and this is a country with a space program and nuclear weapons, something isn't right!

• Like 2

Visa on arrival, free plane ticket and hotel paid for would not get me to visit that place again!

No flamming please.I am entitled to my opinion horrible place.wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20> I am sure this feeling is shared by many

why ?

My experience landing dirt filthy airport, horrible immigration officers, touts outside followed by beggars and aggressive Taxi drivers. Luckily the money exchange in the airport gave me a pile of change to deal with them. Bad traffic, pollution garbage everywhere,Dirty overated hotel Indian men staring at women like they have never seen one before in their lives. Corrupt police that make Thai and PI police look like village bobbies. The list is endless.

These are perfectly respectable reasons. I can remember during my early visits I would be afraid to get out of the car for fear of filth and commotion. I would ask myself, "why are you coming back here?". But by the time I was about to leave all I could think about was coming back. And so it is, a year without going to India is a year squandered. You either love India or hate it.

I have spent about a year in India during the last 6 years or so and never had any safety issues, and the only time I was I'll after eating was in a supposed nice hotel. Eat in more local places and on the street and you should be ok. Eat in a fancy restaurant at your peril.

I have spent about a year in India during the last 6 years or so and never had any safety issues, and the only time I was I'll after eating was in a supposed nice hotel. Eat in more local places and on the street and you should be ok. Eat in a fancy restaurant at your peril.

Really? What was the incident? Was it some hi-so type person trying to intimidate you?

focussing on people shitting in the street is silly. once u leave the big cities India is a fantastic country (the nature, the beaches, the culture). domestic planes are very cheap so u can go wherever u want. quite often i just head to an airport in the morning WITHOUT any reservation and had the touts find me some cheap ticket to some place i have never been (departing an hour later). great way of exploring a country. and yes, touts abound but most of them do a great job for a small fee and touts are part of the indian way (also for locals). they always helped me out bigtime, as in: saving 25-100 euro by paying a 2-5 euro fee. remember these touts are WORKING for u. u tell them what u want and they will find it. the problem is westerners don't understand the concept of touting. western people feel "intimidated" and think they will be ripped-off.

• Like 1

In light of numerous recent events involving rape and murder and the lack of any serious action by the Indian Authorities, I think INDIA is, at the moment, one of th Last Places on Earth to take your wife.

Like you have been many times and no matter what precautions I took always get severe Gastro problems, spent one return flight sat on the loo ( to London from madras ) Chenna yes I know. For the whole flight, you cannot even risk an ice cube in your drinks.

This is melodramatic overreaction. The numerous recent events are more likely examples of a journalistic trend rather than a rising crime trend. India is a vast country with more than a billion people. To focus on a few events demonstrates an ignorance of large numbers.

A bad case of Delhi Belly can happen anywhere in the world. In my 18 visits to India I have only once had diarrhea. Properly treated it was gone in 24 hours. I have been sicker eating oysters in France (Paris Belly) and the UK (Manchester Belly).

India is crowded, dilapidated, filthy and noisy and I would respect the opinion of anyone who said they would never go there again for these reasons. But it is also one of the richest cultural experiences that the planet has to offer. It is the only extant ancient civilization. It is teeming with colour, rhythm and history. To attempt to dissuade anyone from visiting India by reason of a few journalistic sensations and a belly ache is tendentious and irresponsible.

i can bet somehow you wouldn't say the same thing about their neighbour china even though they have an equally old civilization and the place is more modern but they don;t look as caucasian.

spent 8 months back a long time cycling thru india an have done business in Delhi and Calcutta,

What i see is, there is no middle ground for visitors, they either love it or hate it.

Some cant put up with the masses of people, the heat, the poverty,etc etc.

I love it

• Like 1

This is melodramatic overreaction. The numerous recent events are more likely examples of a journalistic trend rather than a rising crime trend. India is a vast country with more than a billion people. To focus on a few events demonstrates an ignorance of large numbers.

A bad case of Delhi Belly can happen anywhere in the world. In my 18 visits to India I have only once had diarrhea. Properly treated it was gone in 24 hours. I have been sicker eating oysters in France (Paris Belly) and the UK (Manchester Belly).

India is crowded, dilapidated, filthy and noisy and I would respect the opinion of anyone who said they would never go there again for these reasons. But it is also one of the richest cultural experiences that the planet has to offer. It is the only extant ancient civilization. It is teeming with colour, rhythm and history. To attempt to dissuade anyone from visiting India by reason of a few journalistic sensations and a belly ache is tendentious and irresponsible.

i can bet somehow you wouldn't say the same thing about their neighbour china even though they have an equally old civilization and the place is more modern but they don;t look as caucasian.

You're right. Nothing to do with looking Caucasian. China's ancient civilization is no longer extant except, perhaps, for the written language. It's a cultural moonscape compared to India.