Retirement Visa Requirements

I will apply soon for a Retirement Visa for the first time. Apart from the documents that are definite, do I also need to present a (1)Medical Certificate, and (2)Police Clearance - not having a criminal record issued by my Embassy?

No, you don't need that. I guess you want to apply for a conversion, for that you must have at least 15 days left on your permission to stay.

You will need:

- proof of address

- evidence of money in the bank (including the money can from abroad)

- or letter from your embassy confirming income

- or both for the combination of income and money in the bank

Never heard about the need to have 15 days left on the day of application. Are you sure about that Mario? Will have only 3 days left on that day as I have to wait till the THB 800,000 are in my account for 60 days.

How or where do I get the "Proof of address"? I live in my own house with my Thai wife. The house is of course not in my name. From my Embassy I believe, but could my bank (Citibank Thailand) also issue it on the day I pick up the Bank Statement?

"I am in Thailand, currently on the 30 Day Stay."

Then you are not seeking a retirement visa. Visas are not issued in Thailand, but you can get your status upgraded from your visa-exempt entry to a non-O. Then you can get a 1-year extension as soon as you meet the financial requirements (which might even be the same day).

But as said, only if you have at least 15 days remaining on your 30-day entry.

Will have only 3 days left on that day as I have to wait till the THB 800,000 are in my account for 60 days.

To do a conversion from exempt entry to non O you do not need the money seasoned for 60 days, it only has to be in the bank. The non-O gives you 90 days and during the last 30 days of that you apply for the 1 year extension, showing the money seasoned for 60 days.

Never heard about the need to have 15 days left on the day of application. Are you sure about that Mario? Will have only 3 days left on that day as I have to wait till the THB 800,000 are in my account for 60 days.

How or where do I get the "Proof of address"? I live in my own house with my Thai wife. The house is of course not in my name. From my Embassy I believe, but could my bank (Citibank Thailand) also issue it on the day I pick up the Bank Statement?

15 days is advisable, although it seems they do now sometimes eve if you have less days.

But you do not have to wait till you have seasoned the money for 60 days. For the conversion it is enough that the money is in the account. Once you go for the 1 year extension it of course does need to be seasoned.

The 15 days is needed to apply for the non immigrant visa entry. The money does not have to be in the bank for 60 days for this.

The mony will need to be in the bank for 60 days when you apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you will get when you apply for the visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

Is the yellow book good enough for proof of address? what form needs to be filled out for applying for retirement via?

I am switching from Thai wife visa to retirement visa, because I believe it's easier for all. I'm aware of the financial requirements and can meet them.

Is the yellow book good enough for proof of address? what form needs to be filled out for applying for retirement via?

I am switching from Thai wife visa to retirement visa, because I believe it's easier for all. I'm aware of the financial requirements and can meet them.

You don't need a new visa. Just go to immigration when next extension is due and apply for extension using retirement as the reason for the extension of marriage.

You should take your wife along because some immigration offices will want her to give you permission to change extension types.

Yellow book is accepted as proof of address.

so this means that I need to go to Immigration tomorrow and do the conversation as I still have the 15 days left then. What documents do I need to bring for the conversation?

How to get the "proof of address" in my case as "living in my own house" in Bangkok?

A copy of your wife's house book is enough and copy of marriage certificate for proof of residence.

Letter from bank confirming balance and that funds came from outside the country and copies of bank book to prove 800K in the bank. There are several brach banks downstairs from immigration where you can get the letter and make copies.

Completed TM87 form with photo attached. Download here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

If you need more time to get documents together you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife. She would need to go with you and have original and copies of her house book and ID card. And marriage certificate.

No need for Criminal Record statement?

I am also considering applying for Retirement visa from KL embassy. I have been residing here in Malaysia for 2.5 years.

Below is pasted the requirement stated on the Thai embassy in KL webside. To get one criminal record from my home country Denmark, and another one from Malaysian authorities - and legalise them - will be quite a task.

Receiving the Danish criminal record requires applying to the police, get someone to physically pick up the document and get it legalised in DK foreign office in Copenhagen, thereafter send it to me here in KL whereafter I have to get it (re-)legalised at the Danish embassy here. I did not yet check how to get a Malaysian one...

Qualifications

1. Applicant must be 50 years old or above
  2. Having the nationality or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted
  3. Not being prohibited from entering the kingdom under the immigration Act B.E.2522 (A.D.1979)
  4. Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and residence/home country of the applicant
  5. Not having prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Drug Addiction, Elephantiasis and third step of syphilis) as indicated in the ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E.2535).
  6. Having in possession a minimum of 800,000 Bath in saving or minimum monthly income of 65,000 Bath totaling not less than 800,000 Bath per annum. The said amount must eventually be transferred to any bank in Thailand

NOTE: Any form of employment is prohibited under this visa category

Required document for visa application

1. Original passport valid not less than 6 months with a copy of information page(s)
  2. Visa application form duly filled out with one 4x6 cm. sized photograph (white / blue background taken within the past 6 months)
  3. Bank Statement with a minimum deposit of 800,000 Bath or Income Certificate with a minimum monthly income of 65,000 Bath
  4. Medical Certificate issued from the country where the application id submitted showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E.2535 and shall be valid not more than 3 months
  5. Criminal Report verifying that the applicant has no criminal record, issued by competent Authority valid for not more than 3 months and notarized by notary organs or application’s diplomatic/consular mission
  6. Copy of marriage or birth certificate (required for the dependent)

So would be wonderful if this requirement is actually not enforced...Can that be confirmed - thanks

You DO need both a police record report and medical form for applying for an O-A visa anywhere in the world!

Most Danes would need to apply in Denmark for the O-A; are you sure KL will accept your application?

Generally, the O-A applications are done in the home country; exceptions for long term residents are sometimes made.

My suggestion: FORGET the O-A.

You do not need it.

You can get into the retirement extension system in Thailand without any need to ever have an O-A visa.

For retirement extensions in Thailand, no police report(s) and medical form needed -- CONFIRMED.

GettingOlder

You will not receive a "retirement" visa in KL.

The best you can hope for would be a single entry NON "O" visa with which you can apply ( within Thailand) for an extension of stay based on retirement .

At worst you will be offered a single entry tourist visa which can be converted , again in Thailand to a NON "O" visa and subsequent extension of stay if you meet the financial requirements .

Edited by Sceptict11

No need for Criminal Record statement?

I am also considering applying for Retirement visa from KL embassy. I have been residing here in Malaysia for 2.5 years.

Below is pasted the requirement stated on the Thai embassy in KL webside. To get one criminal record from my home country Denmark, and another one from Malaysian authorities - and legalise them - will be quite a task.

Receiving the Danish criminal record requires applying to the police, get someone to physically pick up the document and get it legalised in DK foreign office in Copenhagen, thereafter send it to me here in KL whereafter I have to get it (re-)legalised at the Danish embassy here. I did not yet check how to get a Malaysian one...

Qualifications

1. Applicant must be 50 years old or above
  2. Having the nationality or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted
  3. Not being prohibited from entering the kingdom under the immigration Act B.E.2522 (A.D.1979)
  4. Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and residence/home country of the applicant
  5. Not having prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Drug Addiction, Elephantiasis and third step of syphilis) as indicated in the ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E.2535).
  6. Having in possession a minimum of 800,000 Bath in saving or minimum monthly income of 65,000 Bath totaling not less than 800,000 Bath per annum. The said amount must eventually be transferred to any bank in Thailand

NOTE: Any form of employment is prohibited under this visa category

Required document for visa application

1. Original passport valid not less than 6 months with a copy of information page(s)
  2. Visa application form duly filled out with one 4x6 cm. sized photograph (white / blue background taken within the past 6 months)
  3. Bank Statement with a minimum deposit of 800,000 Bath or Income Certificate with a minimum monthly income of 65,000 Bath
  4. Medical Certificate issued from the country where the application id submitted showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E.2535 and shall be valid not more than 3 months
  5. Criminal Report verifying that the applicant has no criminal record, issued by competent Authority valid for not more than 3 months and notarized by notary organs or application’s diplomatic/consular mission
  6. Copy of marriage or birth certificate (required for the dependent)

So would be wonderful if this requirement is actually not enforced...Can that be confirmed - thanks

The O/P is IN Thailand and will be applying for an extensions of stay at Immigrations. You are not in Thailand and you are (apparently) applying for a visa. You'll need to fulfill the embassy requirements for the visa if that's what you plan to do.

When I applied for my O-A I was living and working in the UAE, although I am an American, and got the police report from the UAE police, which was fine with the Thai consulate there. I did not need to get a report from my home country. But the Thai consulate accepted my application and the local police report because I was legally resident in the UAE. The KL embassy may want proof that you are legally resident there in order to accept an application for an O-A visa.

Item # 2 above: "Having the nationality or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted"

So, As others have said, you'd probably be better off not trying for the O-A.\ since it's not necessary.

Edited by Suradit69

Be clear you do NOT need the O-A visa. It is too much of a hassle for many and people retiring in Thailand eventually end up in the exact same system and status -- annual extensions based on retirement -- whether they started with an O-A or not.

I agree generally you need to have a strong case for third country residency status to apply for an O-A visa anywhere but your home passport country, and even then, not sure all Thai embassies (the ones that offer O-A) would allow that.

Edited by Jingthing

It would be even more convenient for you to apply for a single entry O visa in KL. Your reason will be your intention to apply for a retirement extension in Thailand. You first need to find out what they will require for that. With the single O, then apply for your retirement extension in Thailand during the last 30 days of your 90 day stay. Starting with the O means you won't need to do the conversion to O in Thailand. Not ALL immigration offices in Thailand offer that conversion service.