Conundrum - When to retire? How much money is enough?

freejack

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems not possible to edit posts once someone as viewed?

Anyway, should have kept the topic more high-level.

I've always wondered why people decide to retire when they do.

I knew coworkers at work who got disgruntled or tired of everything and decided they had enough with the job. Some of them left not so happy and left the company on a sour note after so many years, or decades even, of work.

The decision to retire often seems to come at the crossroads of being tired of it all and feeling they have enough money (or not) to give it up and be done with their careers.

I'm soon to have TWINS ... I ain't ever gonna retire ... I'm just gonna be tired.

What an end to a humsum man's life on Earth ... got my first worry wrinkle last week

Enough money ... pfff ... there ain't ever going to be enough ... facepalm.gif

Oh ... we're talking about you! I got caught up with my impending calamity.

Why retire ... just find something you like doing that pays an income and work will never feel like work again.

Go Farming ... laugh.png

• Like 2

If Thailand is your goal to retire, then my best advice, to make sure your retirement income is calculated in THB not in US$, or Pound, or Euro, or whatever else.

THB's exchange rate can and probably will change a lot in the next 2-3 decades a now 56 yrs old can easily live as retired here.

( and inflation can just magnify this).

Take those who retire here between 1997-2002 for example....guess they at least feel the pain, and probably many had to leave.

If the mentioned 56 yrs old doesnt have the unstoppable panic rush for 20 yrs old bargirls, i dont think he should give up on lots the lots of savings just yet, and put in maybe that next 3-4 yrs till 60, thus have some extra emergency funds entitled strictly for beaten retired vs.bargirl/thai wife scenario.

• Like 1

If i was single then retiring on 5,000 $ per month would be my minimum (assuming health insurance covered already). But im married so aiming for 10,000- 13,000 $ per month (i have about 20 years to reach my target...)- company pension, annuity, stock dividends, rental income possibly- i dont quality for a government pension/SS but my wife does.

One thing to consider is stability of pension income- a company defined benefit pension, social/govt pension and annuities gives peace of mind- no need to stress about money running out if you find yourself living into your 70s-80s-90s.

Edited by ExpatJ
  • Like 1

If i was single then retiring on 5,000 $ per month would be my minimum (assuming health insurance covered already). But im married so aiming for 10,000- 13,000 $ per month (i have about 20 years to reach my target...)- company pension, annuity, stock dividends, rental income possibly- i dont quality for a government pension/SS but my wife does.

One thing to consider is stability of pension income- a company defined benefit pension, social/govt pension and annuities gives peace of mind- no need to stress about money running out if you find yourself living into your 70s-80s-90s.

Chances of you being divorced before then (about 50%) and losing most of your retirement pension/savings are high.

Chances of you dying before then are better (about 25%).

Good luck with your plans.

Chances of you being divorced before then (about 50%) and losing most of your retirement pension/savings are high.

You are a bundle of laughs ;-) I don't know what sort of lifestyle you lead, but the average age of death of westerners is still in the 70s and increasing every year. Mind you, i am still considering early semi-retirement at 55, just working a few months a year from then until 60 or so. Divorce, yes- who knows, but my wife works and earns slightly more than me so a divorce settlement would primarily be me paying for my kids expenses, and i have no problem handing over what ever that may be- happy to.

For most folk total retirement with no income whatsoever is out of the question in this day and age, so...

Save for most of your life then retire and possibly drop down dead due to age or exhaustion (what was the point). Alternatively create an income from your homeland and bugger off to wherever it is you want to at whatever age you see fit!

Better than retiring here at 60+ and being bitter that you "should of done it years ago".

• Like 1

For most folk total retirement with no income whatsoever is out of the question in this day and age, so...

Save for most of your life then retire and possibly drop down dead due to age or exhaustion (what was the point). Alternatively create an income from your homeland and bugger off to wherever it is you want to at whatever age you see fit!

Better than retiring here at 60+ and being bitter that you "should of done it years ago".

Well blow me down. When you explain it like that, it makes me wonder why everyone didn't think of that idea and just do it.

I am also contemplating retirement and the math looks as follow:

Total savings required = current spending x (Estimated life expectancy – retirement age)

$3,000 per month x 12 x (85 – 55) = $1,080,000

The logic is to have the inflation neutral savings to maintain a $3,000 (2013) purchasing power.

• Like 1

You are a bundle of laughs ;-) I don't know what sort of lifestyle you lead, but the average age of death of westerners is still in the 70s and increasing every year. Mind you, i am still considering early semi-retirement at 55, just working a few months a year from then until 60 or so. Divorce, yes- who knows, but my wife works and earns slightly more than me so a divorce settlement would primarily be me paying for my kids expenses, and i have no problem handing over what ever that may be- happy to.

I agree average age of death is in 70s (79 UK, 71 Thailand), so half the people die before their 70s, and a quarter of people die before their 60s. That's what average means ......

Also, is your wife saving and accumulation pension as much as you are?

Women often don't bother to save as much, in which case she will be having half of yours on divorce, along with all the house.

Edited by FiftyTwo

But here's the danger.

This forum (not a criticism of TVF) is, like the expat community, stalked by people terming themselves IFA's or Financial Consultants who look for guys in the position of having pension funds they can't get their hands on right now, and then offer to help them crack their pension funds for immediate access - I have personal friend who went the QROPS route with one of these outfits and who is now watching his life's savings get pissshed down the drain.

So please, anyone even considering accessing their pension fund with the help of a expat IFA or Financial Consultant - get yourself over to the TVF Jobs, Economy, Finance Forum and ask for advise - There's a whole bunch of guys there who will give you very good advice from personal experience and give you ample warning of the traps and scams. Read and take heed.

Yep, I totally agree,

You must never take any financial advice from anyone outside your home country.

You should also never mix your IFA, trader/dealer and management companies over different countries.

As no one country will take responsibility if anything goes wrong, and you just get passed around.

For example, IFA in Thailand + Trader/dealer in IOM + management in Spain = financial disaster.

If you are from the UK, best to keep everything in the UK.

Grab the $6000 / month for as long as you can. It will come in handy.

Yes eventually it will enable you to buy the "diamond-package" from the funeral home!!19x18xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKn width=19 alt=whistling.gif>

JUMP!! thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif width=25 alt=thumbsup.gif>

... says the crowd from below, to the guy on top of the building. 19x18xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKn

You can be young without money but you can’t be old without it.
 --- Tennessee Williams

• Like 1