Conundrum - When to retire? How much money is enough?

freejack

I am nearing 66. I left my full time work 4 months ago with a good pension and no need to continue working. However; I was not ready to just hang around doing not much. There is only so much golf and fishing that you can do! As I have a 15 year old daughter to think about, and so not yet ready to move to Asia, I accepted a part time , paid post in the charity sector. I also do some part time lecturing at University. I am finding life is not as intense as my last full time work, which is good, but still stimulating and engaging. How long can I keep this up? Tough question, but I would say that in 3 or so years time, I will not want the early mornings, the social events and late arrivals back home on occasions and that will be the time for me. Very personal decision as I have friends who 'retired' at 55 or 56 and they are perfectly happy with their decision. In all, I'm not sure that 'retirement' has any real meaning to most folk nowadays?.

• Like 1

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You only live once so I think you need to make the best of it. There is a balance that has to be found. If you love your work and it is part of your happiness why stop. If you are just buying time until you retire but already have enough cash then I think it is time to stop working and enjoy your life. Money is very important however and you don't want to later look back with regret wishing you were still working, so plan plan plan.

My idea .... Think of a yearly budget based on your lifestyle and multiply it by say 25 ( you would be 81 but think of that number on how old you will live to be based on family history ???) . This is how much money i think you should have with your current investments and pension. Think of inflation and interest as offsetting each other. As long as you have insurance to cover anything major happening with your health and you not give it to some Thai bird you should be fine. If coming to Thailand always keep a plan in mind for going back to you home country in case you need to. That's my thinking ....

It is nice to enjoy your life when you are young and your health is good. When you get old you have limits and it takes away some of the pleasure. I would hate to die knowing I never lived !!!

• Like 1

I am also contemplating retirement and the math looks as follow:

Total savings required = current spending x (Estimated life expectancy – retirement age)

$3,000 per month x 12 x (85 – 55) = $1,080,000

The logic is to have the inflation neutral savings to maintain a $3,000 (2013) purchasing power.

there's no logic in your maths. life expectancy is irrelevant based on spending only your income from investments without touching the capital except in emergencies. of course one day your heirs will be smiling; but you will always have a good night's sleep.

as you are not drilling and/or pumping oil 365 five days a year, use a part of your off time to study how to make your savings work hard and produce yield 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365.25 days a year.

note: it's not rocket science! if dummies like me were able to do it, you can too!

• Like 1

But here's the danger.

This forum (not a criticism of TVF) is, like the expat community, stalked by people terming themselves IFA's or Financial Consultants who look for guys in the position of having pension funds they can't get their hands on right now, and then offer to help them crack their pension funds for immediate access - I have personal friend who went the QROPS route with one of these outfits and who is now watching his life's savings get pissshed down the drain.

So please, anyone even considering accessing their pension fund with the help of a expat IFA or Financial Consultant - get yourself over to the TVF Jobs, Economy, Finance Forum and ask for advise - There's a whole bunch of guys there who will give you very good advice from personal experience and give you ample warning of the traps and scams. Read and take heed.

Yep, I totally agree,

You must never take any financial advice from anyone outside your home country.

You should also never mix your IFA, trader/dealer and management companies over different countries.

As no one country will take responsibility if anything goes wrong, and you just get passed around.

For example, IFA in Thailand + Trader/dealer in IOM + management in Spain = financial disaster.

If you are from the UK, best to keep everything in the UK.

if you are from Zimbabwe don't keep everything in Zimbabwe! tongue.png

But here's the danger.

This forum (not a criticism of TVF) is, like the expat community, stalked by people terming themselves IFA's or Financial Consultants who look for guys in the position of having pension funds they can't get their hands on right now, and then offer to help them crack their pension funds for immediate access - I have personal friend who went the QROPS route with one of these outfits and who is now watching his life's savings get pissshed down the drain.

So please, anyone even considering accessing their pension fund with the help of a expat IFA or Financial Consultant - get yourself over to the TVF Jobs, Economy, Finance Forum and ask for advise - There's a whole bunch of guys there who will give you very good advice from personal experience and give you ample warning of the traps and scams. Read and take heed.

Yep, I totally agree,

You should also never mix your IFA, trader/dealer and management companies over different countries.

As no one country will take responsibility if anything goes wrong, and you just get passed around.

For example, IFA in Thailand + Trader/dealer in IOM + management in Spain = financial disaster.

if you are from Zimbabwe don't keep everything in Zimbabwe! tongue.png

Do people from Zimbabwe have savings or pensions?

Some of my rellys had a farm in Zimbabwe ..... they were forced to walk away with just what they could carry as it was being burnt down.

Seems not possible to edit posts once someone as viewed?

Anyway, should have kept the topic more high-level.

I've always wondered why people decide to retire when they do.

I knew coworkers at work who got disgruntled or tired of everything and decided they had enough with the job. Some of them left not so happy and left the company on a sour note after so many years, or decades even, of work.

The decision to retire often seems to come at the crossroads of being tired of it all and feeling they have enough money (or not) to give it up and be done with their careers.

I saw my father die young, well before he was due to retire, it made me want to retire early.

I think your age is enough.... I was younger.

But here's the danger.

Yep, I totally agree,

That is what I thought until Mr Brown decided to step in and take the B& B building Society back and I was left with nothing having been a shareholder my loss was in the £1000s. The UK is no better when you have crooks in Government as for pension funds they have become a joke I am glad I cashed mine in a few years back because if I was doing it today it would be at least a 3rd down so do not kid yourself that the UK is a safe haven for your investments !!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Jack, I'm just past 50 and now live in Chiang Mai - but I haven't retired yet. I help people wanting to retire or live long-term in Thailand (e.g. to just spend the "winter" here and continue working in their home countries the rest of the year).

Once you reach 50, you can stay in Thailand indefinitely on a Retirement Visa, without having to leave regularly to do the "visa run". You only need to show an income of just over $2,000 per month (or swear an affidavit to that effect if you're an American citizen). You may not work, however. But that doesn't prevent you from generating an income from home by writing, developing software or selling to overseas clients. I know several people who manage their business/blog/etc. from their home in Thailand and then travel overseas to give workshops or provide on-site services to their clients. They make a very decent income.

And on $2,000 per month, you can live extremely well as a single person or couple - at least in Chiang Mai. You'd have to live a little more modestly if you choose to live in Bangkok or Pattaya or Hua Hin. For Phuket or Samui, it would be more comfortable to have at least $3,000 per month.

Once you've left the materialistic high-tax-paying working treadmill of your western lifestyle, you'll find that you simply don't need much to live very well and still pursue an interesting and exciting life. Many people on incomes of more than $3,000 pm in Chiang Mai are living an incredibly luxurious life, reserved for the very privileged few in the West. It's a nice life!

I have a psychology and business background, so I can help not only with concrete budgeting and logistical issues but also with designing your new life according to your personality, desires and preferences. (It also means I'm not prudish about what you really, really want out of life LOL!)

PM me if you want more detailed info, or want some specific help or consultancy regarding settling in Thailand.

• Like 2

I retired here in Thailand at 51.My decision was based on a cost of living increase of 5% per Annum,More money coming in at 56,61 and 65,state pension ,plus an inheritance if i outlive my mum.

Its not important how i live or how much money i have,as it will be more than some and less than some.I spend less now than when i first come here,even taking into account ofd buying a car, bike and house.When one is content,one knows how to be happy, without having to spend large amounts of money, and i have no regrets whatsoever.

I would like to know how people can acces certain pension funds private or from the goverment.

Taking out private pension funds before the age of 60 or 65 will come with a serious price to pay in most european countrys tax wise .

I'm 46 and I don't intend to retire at all - not because I'm a workaholic but because I really can't imagine doing less than I already do.

I work from home for a few hours each day Monday to Friday so if I had more free time than I already do, I'd probably go insane.

when you are retired you have no free time! a 24 hour day is much too short for all the things you want to do which are impossible when still working.

Yeah, right . . . if you say so

Everyone's different but god for you if you find 24 hours isn't enough to do what it is you need to do.

Plenty of people here just spend their time on a barstool drinking beer or in front of the TV so if you've licked that problem, good luck to you

I retired to Phuket at 50 , Im 56 now.

I am of the same 'worth' as when I left ( I brought $60k Aus in cash to establish myself) except some of that 'worth' was at the start tied up in property.

I found that agents back home dont behave well with the knowledge that the home owner is overseas , so I sold my house and live off the interest rather than rent.

I think most people who 'make it' to retirement in another country , have at least the good sense to live to their means ... if you dont have it , you tend not to spend it.

• Like 2

I'm 46 and I don't intend to retire at all - not because I'm a workaholic but because I really can't imagine doing less than I already do.

I work from home for a few hours each day Monday to Friday so if I had more free time than I already do, I'd probably go insane.

A bit off-topic, I know, but I think this is an important warning: many retirees die a few years after retirement. Psychologists believe it's out of sheer boredom and/or a lack of purpose in life. If you do intend to retire, make sure you have a busy, productive second life in mind otherwise you will go crazy or suffer from depression and lose your will to live!!!

• Like 1

I retired ten years ago at age 53 and I regret doing that, finanicially I am well off but when I look back over the past ten years I feel I have wasted a lot of time and could have accomplished a lot more in that time that was satisfying and rewarding. How much is needed? How long is a piece of string, it all depends on lifestyle, your ability to manage money and luck.

• Like 2

I retired here in Thailand at 55. I'm divorced, my "kids" are all grown up with their own careers and family. In my case, I have a pension from military service. It's not really enough to live well in the US with the high cost of living there, but here in Thailand it's fine for me. I found myself with the decision of stay in the US and have to work, or retire in Thailand. I decided to retire in Thailand. So far, I'm liking it! Later, when I have access to my IRAs, and Social Security, I may move back to the US. Closer to the "kids" and grandchildren and such. We shall see!

As others here have mentioned; Money isn't the only thing for you to consider. For some people the adjustment from full work to full retirement can be hard to handle.

Myself, I enjoy having a nice quiet and slow life. I like to read a lot, watch some movies (now on my Nook!), long walks around town for my exercise and to learn what's where, learn some Thai language, and do some traveling around Thailand. You have got to adjust and get some activities that will suit you. Others have trouble adapting. Some end up with their "retirement" centered around bars and drinking and then drinking and bars, etc. IMO, not good for them or their livers!

• Like 2

Money in the bank, house nearly paid off, a pension, 56 and fit, now is the time to do it, retire and enjoy life.

I have a friend aged 50 who has done well for himself, assets of over $100 million in property, and an income of over $25,000 a month, and a big luxury house,

But still drives a 7 year old Merc, and hasn't been on holiday for 8 years, he starts work in the office at 6am and sometimes is still there at 10pm, he is now a slave

to the money, when is enough money enough?

I have told him many times take a break, go on holiday spend some money, better still sell some of your assets and retire, travel the world and enjoy your life,

but I know he never will.

I would say this is a very good time for him to retire, before the long hours take their toll, and all that amassing of a fortune end up having been for nothing!

I

• Like 1