Man woke up after long bus-ride"2500$"Gone[Gas?]Thailand

Mangosteen1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happened to me on one of the Chiang Mai to Bangkok buses, I lost 4000 baht, the bus boy sat next to me as it was the only empty seat and after I fell asleep he opened up my bumbag that was under my shirt and lifted the cash.

You must be a heavy sleeper if someone can take money off your person without you knowing about it.

Yes, I'm a heavy sleeper and I assume the kid had plenty of practice at thieving off sleeping passengers.

my only experience of a bus and a thief was on the Thai/ lao border a few years back, I was on

the bus that crosses the friendship bridge heading into Thailand when I spotted movement that

got my attention, it was an Asian couple sitting at the back of the bus the woman held a coat

on her arm while her partner was sliding underneath the seats trying to hook up bags and a

camera case with his foot. the couple who were being robbed looked like tourists and were

totally oblivious of what was going on, I was unsure what was my best option was as I didn't

want a song and dance especially on the border. so I stood up and stared at the woman with

the coat, then motioned towards her partner, she let her fella know and he got up off the floor

it got a bit strange then as I turned my attention to the two tourists ,staring at their stuff on the floor

and nodding and such but although the looks they gave me were not very friendly it had the

desired affect as they grabbed their stuff and held it close.

it took all day to explain to my missus that I had not lost the plot, and was actually trying

to help someone.

copy/paste?

wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

If this is even true, I have a hard time feeling sorry for people like this. The minimum wage here is about $300/month. Who packs 8 months of wage around with them while visiting a foreign country?

Actually minimum wage is closer to $250.00 per month but yes someone carry almost a years salary would be very tempting for some.............. how would they have known he had this money on him to start with ?

That's my point too......how would they have know about him carrying that money?

My neice from the UK awoke during a night bus trip to Chiang Mai to see something crawling along the aisle.

It was a kid , and he was going thru peoples bags and coat pockets.

She stepped on him when he got near her and yelled for help.

She said he fought like a devil and fled downstairs.

Mysteriously , the driver stopped and let the kid run off.

There was a long delay and the police called because some of the Thai male victims attacked the driver who had been claiming no knowledge of the scam.

He fled as well.

It took 4 hours for another driver to be sourced to continue on.

• Like 2

Must be a lot of poor travellers on this site if they think $2500 is a lot of money to have for a month of travelling.

100% agree with......... IMO it's the minimum amount of money needed....come on: anything can happen..... there are so many reasons you might need cash while travelling

I fell asleep on a baht bus and woke up about B2500 lighter. Didnt notice until i was well off the bus I hope who got it really needed it.wai.gif

Not nearly as bad as the story above. My fault, I was wearing a pair of shorts with shallow pockets and just put the cash in the front pocket instead of the rear where i could be sitting on it. A relatively inexpensive lesson for me.

Lesson learned!thumbsup.gif

Must be a lot of poor travellers on this site if they think $2500 is a lot of money to have for a month of travelling.

100% agree with......... IMO it's the minimum amount of money needed....come on: anything can happen..... there are so many reasons you might need cash while travelling

Name one. The only possible one I can think of is if militants / drug traffickers kidnap you, and for whatever reason accept your measly $2500 as a ransom to let you go immediately. Even then, that's a pretty stupid reason to be packing that much cash around Thailand. Other than that, I can't think of one single reason.

The vast majority of money in my personal account isn't even accessible via ATM. I have two accounts, one that's accessible via my ATM card, and one that isn't. I only ever keep maybe $500 in the account that's accessible via ATM, and the rest stays in the other account. When I need more, I just transfer it via online banking, and it's instantly available to me.

I've been forced to withdraw from an ATM in Barbados before, so if that happens again to me, I don't particularly care. I'll give them the $500 or whatever, they'll see the balance is now like $2, and that will be that.

Nau05...what does wages have to do with how much money one caries? Stupid to carry a lot I can buy but that is any travel...

Your logic is the same as Thais who think foreigners should compensate drivers at fault b/c they are poor and a way to balance the scales...

Because it's about the equivalent of me carrying $25,000 cash, while traveling on the trains throughout Europe. Who in their right mind would do that?

Okay. Gas. Or pill or heavy sleeper with creeping kids in aisles. How do I and my belongings get safely from Bangkok to phuket next week? I would prefer the bus but I guess I could fly if I have to

Don't even think about making that trip. So far there hasn't been anyone who has made it from bangkok to Phuket without losing all his dosh facepalm.gif

• Like 1

I don't get this at all. So many ATM's in Thailand money is accessible in minutes of needing it.......so why??

• Like 1

If you took all these stories to heart you would never travel in Thailand, via bus, train, plane, taxi or tuk-tuk. You would never go to a bar, restaurant or any venue where there are Thai people. In fact you would avoid contact with Thai people at all costs. You would stay in your guest house with the door locked. Oh wait, tourists die in guest houses. You would not get off the plane. Oh wait, planes crash, especially Thai planes. You may as well stay home and watch travel documentaries from the safety of your cozy western haven. Now there's an idea ! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

how would they have known he had this money on him to start with ?

Maybe he accidentally flashed it while buying his bus ticket. Or maybe he was packing it around in baht, so about 75,000 baht... that would make a pretty noticeable bulge I would think.

Money was in greenbacks so bulge would have been very small.

Maybe his genitalia was extremely big. Someone mistaook it for a load of cash............lol.

These bus scams have been going on for years...

About 3 years ago a girl came to our temple to stay for a few weeks. She came from one of the resorts in the South in a bus to CM. During the journey they stopped on a remote road and were told the bus had a problem. They all got off and were crowded trying to shelter from the rain in a small shelter. Several hours later another bus returned and they all got on. All slept well exhausted from their trial. When they finally got to CM ALL had had their luggage robbed of cameras, laptops, etc. and all had had their personal bags beside them and under their seats robbed of cash too.

• Like 2

Yes, when the ever re-occurring theme pops up

"How much do you need to live in Thailand" (And PLEASE do NOT answer that)

There are always a couple who escalate it to about USD 2,500 /day (or there about)

Don't accept food or drink from strangers.

Just like my mother used to say.

---------------------

Regarding previous post:

I did not say I couldn't come up with $2500 if I needed to, I said I wouldn't be carrying that much money around in cash.

That's why they make ATM and/or debit cards.

I might have 2500 Baht in my wallet on a good day, but never $2500.

Certainly not while riding a bus in Thailand.

It also depends which country you come from. I wont mention any. but some people always travel with dollars and cash simply because they dont have atm card or not used to them. but in this case the guy was from Europe and traveled around in south east Asia. not only in Thailand(Burma, Laos, Cambodia as well)

• Like 1

Okay. Gas. Or pill or heavy sleeper with creeping kids in aisles. How do I and my belongings get safely from Bangkok to phuket next week? I would prefer the bus but I guess I could fly if I have to

Just your belonging or are you going from Phuket - BKK as well?I took that route once in my life. first time Ive been in a bus crash. we hit a large dog who had to walk over the street exactly when our huge bus with our zombie-looking-red bull-addicted-driver. the big bus wheel was lose. 300 m in the middle of nowhere a group of car/bus mechanics were availableLLUCKY(but later it would show unlucky). they put a new wheel one. and we were ready to hit the road. 3km after the whole thing went of(Imagine the driver were stresses he had a time schedule to think about so he was driving extra fast cuz of our delay) now our bus rotating around 2 times at high speed and headed to the other sided road with cars driving against us. the buss tipping on the side. just some tiny trees between us and the other cars. were headed there an guess what: the tiny trees bends with the bus. and after like superman tress they bent back and hold our tipping bus. we are in the middle of 2 roads. great trees I want to know exactly what kind of trees they were(Only 2-3 tourists hurt but nothing broken or any bad cut) the bus of course windows broken and all that. when we stepped out in the grass. huge spiders started to bite us(I took one with my fingers and looked: Shiiit thats not a spider its an ant, huge ants. could have been a lot worse. we had to wait for at least 4 hours until next bus(2 M150(Energy drinks more, and the same driver drove even faster with his new bus and us in it)

A tip: Search engines for plane tickets. don't always show or have the best prices. I was at Phuket airport and checked prices from European flight search engines on my laptop. it was minimum 3500 baht one way that time(high season) I went around the upper floors were all the air flight offices are. with a pen and paper asking around. much better rates. at 1500 etc GOOD LUCK thumbsup.gif

Happened to me on one of the Chiang Mai to Bangkok buses, I lost 4000 baht, the bus boy sat next to me as it was the only empty seat and after I fell asleep he opened up my bumbag that was under my shirt and lifted the cash.

You must be a heavy sleeper if someone can take money off your person without you knowing about it.

A seasoned pick pocket can take your wallet n watch n rings n id while your looking right at them . Thats there profession and they are very good at it.

What you're looking at here is Ketamine. It penetrates through the skin and will put you in a deep sleep when some is put on your collar.

It is used by veterinarians to make a horse or buffalo sleep, as well as by THE PUBLIC WOMAN on beach road to scam foreigners.

How do you think they are able to transport a buffalo on the back of a pick up without it moving.

This is an informative post, from which I was informed by a Pattaya police officer after a friend of mine was drugged and woke up 2 days thereafter, and doesn't contain any inappropriate language.

• Like 1

What you're looking at here is Ketamine. It penetrates through the skin and will put you in a deep sleep when some is put on your collar.

It is used by veterinarians to make a horse or buffalo sleep, as well as by THE PUBLIC WOMAN on beach road to scam foreigners.

How do you think they are able to transport a buffalo on the back of a pick up without it moving.

This is an informative post, from which I was informed by a Pattaya police officer after a friend of mine was drugged and woke up 2 days thereafter, and doesn't contain any inappropriate language.

Hi jbrain. you seem to know a lot regarding this topic. How can you prevent and avoid to not get drugged by Ketamine?

Hi jbrain. you seem to know a lot regarding this topic. How can you prevent and avoid to not get drugged by Ketamine?

I don't know a lot regarding this topic, I'm only forwarding my knowledge and information i got.

The only way to prevent being drugged, or scammed, is always to be alert.