Failing Businesses

FrankBlunt

It seems to me that a lot of new businesses like to start up with launch events, write ups in the local rags etc. Quite often, you will look at these new businesses and quickly shake your head at the misplaced optimism and complete lack of appreciation of what will work out here and instantly mark it down as being doomed to fail. In some cases it may be an ego thing where the new business owner's desire to have his 5 minutes of fame completely overrides the need for sensible business decisions and as such I would also like to see them have one final moment in the spotlight as they skulk away to a chorus of "I told you so".

Don't get me wrong, I don't derive pleasure from seeing businesses fail and I really like to support those who run with a sound idea and put in the effort to make a success of it. But there are just so many ridiculous start-ups here that it might be interesting to actually record their demise rather than just realise a few months down the road that they just aren't there any more.

For example, I rode along Nanai the other day and noticed the pool place wasn't there any more. Plenty of write-ups and such when it opened but come on, a higher-end pool hall in Cheap Charlie Nanai?

The one which really made me shake my head in disbelief was the Joe Conrad Magic Show. Have you ever seen so much money invested in such a non-starter? Plenty of features in the local rags when he started - why can't they do features when it shuts down too? Maybe it is because the newspapers have nothing to gain by reporting such a closure whereas there is potential advertising money, free tickets etc to be had by massaging egos when businesses start?

I also saw the other day that the Swedish magic bloke in Bangla has also shut down - is now the new Seduction.

Not sure where I'm going with this - I'm just rambling a bit and probably will be shut down but I don't get out and about around the island as much these days so would be interested to hear of any spectacular failures around the place which I might have read lots about when they first opened.

Just thought of another from a few years back - Oktoberfest or whatever it was called, just along and on the other side from Simon Cabaret.

• Like 1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Stunt Show near Chalong was another spectacular failure. Very poor marketing, bad location, no chance of success.

Was thinking of Octoberfest but you already mentioned that. They paid a fortune for a 10 year land lease, bought a big second hand tent structure, rows a cheap trestle tables and seats. No idea what market they were aiming at. Lasted about a year.

Others worth a mention, the bungey jumps. Remember one near the expat hotel, then some sort of ball drop at JJ plaza. Not sure if the one near the bowling alley in Patong is still open.

O2 beach club can go in that list.

Did they fail?

Yes, both Oktoberfest and Stunt Show were spectacular failures.

Will the shooting ranges survive? There was one in Chalong, maybe also in Patong, don't know about that one, and suddenly there are 3 more, in between Patong and Karon, in Kata and on the backroad Nai Harn-Kata.

Edited by stevenl

Did they fail?

Will the shooting ranges survive? There was one in Chalong, maybe also in Patong, don't know about that one, and suddenly there are 3 more, in between Patong and Karon, in Kata and on the backroad Nai Harn-Kata.

No but its a money pit that will go the way of those mentioned.

It was one of those businesses that was listed for sale before it opened as well.

What's that tell you?

What about that Flower/Garden display near Wat Chalong, between the 2 Chaofas. Must have opened a couple of years ago. We visited about 6 months after it opened, car park empty, we saw just one other couple in the hour we spent there. The so called restaurant was a joke, really nothing on offer. Staff (only 1) was surprised when we walked in. Cannot see it lasting unless they attract tour bus traffic.

What about that Flower/Garden display near Wat Chalong, between the 2 Chaofas. Must have opened a couple of years ago. We visited about 6 months after it opened, car park empty, we saw just one other couple in the hour we spent there. The so called restaurant was a joke, really nothing on offer. Staff (only 1) was surprised when we walked in. Cannot see it lasting unless they attract tour bus traffic.

The botanical gardens. Ive been a few times because my boys like feeding the fish in the pond. Always dead and we are the only ones there.

The owners of the gardens and the bird park are ultra rich and I think do it for something to do.

Both won't fail just for that reason.

Did they fail?

No but its a money pit that will go the way of those mentioned.

It was one of those businesses that was listed for sale before it opened as well.

What's that tell you?

Aquamaster had a big party the other night. After that finished everyone moved down to o2 because there was apparently a party on. It was dead as disco. And the drink prices were outrageous They would be better off adopting a Phi Phi style theme there. Grab some unwashed fire twirling dreadlocked hippies and sell cans of Chang for 45 baht and buckets of sangsom, vodla and redbull with 4 straws for 120 baht. Trust me they will make more money. Whoever is marketing that place should be embarrassed

• Like 1

It's a white elephant.

The poor souls had problems before they even broke ground.

Did you know they were blocked access to bring materials through Kan eng parking lot and they had to bring every supply in by barge.

The costs spiraled out instantly.

Pepsi springs to mind

Eden Divers!! LMFAO What a joke that company was

Jimmys lighthouse has had more re-runs than MASH

Freedom bar went from Hero to Zero overnight

Valhalla in Patong was another one, I really liked that place. Its a shame it went bust

How about the NASA Entertainment Zone in Patong. Beer bar area set up on the road leading to the Expat Hotel. I know (knew??!!) one of the partners and warned her it was a disaster in the making.

She has now disappeared with her partner owing many banks and individuals a lot of money.

Valhalla in Patong was another one, I really liked that place. Its a shame it went bust

Jimmy had a good solid business. Rumour has it that it was wife troubles that caused his business demise. Can't say as I never met Jimmy Pearson.

Valhalla was pushed into bankruptcy because of underage prostitution and the resulting fines and harassment by the police and judicial system. I actually met Yaan (think that was his name) in the court house waiting room and had a good chat with him about his troubles (for those that wonder, I was there for building violations, a case that was eventually dismissed - long story).

The wet t-shirt contests in the afternoon at Valhalla were good fun. I remember several years ago a company in Central taking deposits for a condo with waterpark situated inside Poonpol Plaza. A young Thai guy in a flash suit looked like he was one of the owners. Went on for quite a few months with plenty of advertising in the local rags but I don't think they ever broke ground. No doubt a few real estate stories similar to this.

Jimmy had a good solid business. Rumour has it that it was wife troubles that caused his business demise. Can't say as I never met Jimmy Pearson.

Valhalla was pushed into bankruptcy because of underage prostitution and the resulting fines and harassment by the police and judicial system. I actually met Yaan (think that was his name) in the court house waiting room and had a good chat with him about his troubles (for those that wonder, I was there for building violations, a case that was eventually dismissed - long story).

The food at Jimmys has always been shocking. No matter who has run it

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by IrishIvan

First it was Fantasia, then it became Bikini Bar, then Kikis.

The small resort and bar on Chao Fah West.

The concrete submarine with viewing port-holes that was parked in Patong for years. It never even got wet.

Tramps bar complex in Kata (I was a partner).

All the various companies that had light aircraft for tours never got off the ground (pardon the pun).

Phuket Lager.

Now you mention submarine, there was a company offering tours in a yellow submarine to Koh Doc Mai, went bust really fast.

Which business was in the 'boat house' opposite Tesco?

Edited by stevenl

The food at Jimmys has always been shocking. No matter who has run it

I do not agree with that. Back in the days when Jimmy was running the business I thought the food was quite good and a good choice. Since he rented the place out to various other people the standard went downhill very fast.

<snip>

Phuket Lager.

Ah yes, I forgor that one. Started with amazing fanfare and press reports. Left with a fizzle.

Were they the ones in the 'boat house' opposite Tesco?

No - that was another spectacular failure. Thai owners. Did not have a clue about customer service or beer brewing.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. My memory is being jogged by a few blasts from the pasts - Phuket Lager and the Brewery opposite Tesco Lotus to name a couple. Also, the mention of light aircraft reminded me of Destination Air who I think had several attempts to get off the ground but never really got going.

There does seem to be a few helicopters flying over Patong these days so maybe someone has got their act together?

As has been mentioned, sometimes barmy businesses are bankrolled by wealthy people who either want a hobby or just like the publicity. I often wonder too if there is a bit of money laundering going on in some businesses but never really thought a great deal about how this would work in practice.

I've often wondered how that Shooting Café place near the centre of Jungceylon keeps going as there never seems to be much sign of customers there (even when the other restaurants in the area are busy) and they must be paying a huge rent for that location. Seems a strange concept to me - shooting café. Maybe it appeals more to the Russian & Asian tourists?

I always have sympathy for the brewery place in Jungceylon. I guess its a borderline hair brained scheme but I do like their beer and food so wish them well. Saying that, I'm amazed they have kept going so long given how quiet it normally seems to be whenever I'm there. Being hidden behind that boat doesn't help and I often think they would do much better if the JC management would let them put a few tables and chairs and small outdoor bar on the open deck of that boat.

Someone still remembers Patong Night Plaza? They tried to make people believe that Bang-La will be shut down and many tried to open a bar over there. Didn't last very long...

Was that the pretend mall just about opposite Cristine Massage on Rat-u-tit. I remember that, was empty/derelict for years then someone came up with the bars idea. There was some sort of club upstairs advertising Thai super models on show. Lasted about a couple of months. Derelict again for years and eventually demolished.

Safari nightclub was another one I really liked. I used to go to bed early and set my alarm at 230am and head down there fresh. Easy pickings when your relatively sober. There was another nightclub called buzz or something similar next door.