Teachers, what is your age and experience for teaching in LOS?

ivan96822

This old codger is 68 taught in International and E.P. schools as well as being a departmental head and the head admin man too.

At the moment I've been dragged out of retirement ( my choice to combat boredom) and I am teaching in a government school in Surin, kids are challenged though, mind you there a number of shining stars among them.

Any child that advances in a subject is a victory for we teachers, just.remember there are no bad students but there are bad teachers.

Experience comes in many guises and a teachers age is not important neither in my view.

• Like 1

More of a question, I thought the starting age for teaching without experience is 30 or under. I'm also combatting boredom, in my late 40s, previous Entertainment (print) Designer/Art Director with no teaching experience. Wondering, though no idea if they have such classes here, is it possible to teach Photoshop & Desktop Publishing - Marketing Design here at a school or University being over-aged & unexperienced?

In Thailand we have an anomaly in that so many people really aren't experienced teachers when they start here. Of this group I have had the worst experience with the late 30's to 40 something teachers. They have work experience, but not as teachers and it's hard to convince them they are no longer a long-haul truck driver or a factory worker who has a union representative who will help negotiate the hours and conditions of employment.

It is this anomalous group that would have me worried. You cited a single 20 year-old who was good and possibly had potential and a (possible) 74 year-old who was also up for the job. Just how many fundamentally inadequate 30- or 40-somethings have you had to put up with?

I've been involved in education in Thailand for over 15 years. It's hard to make generalizations that are accurate, but I will give it a shot. First all, there are two aspects to teaching, one is the actual classroom performance and methods of teaching, the other is the administrative end of it, and that includes everything from preparing exams, checking papers, lesson planning, etc., as well as attendance, punctuality, ability to get along with others.

Of the teachers who have a degree in education and some experience teaching, I have only run into a very, very small number who were lacking. It should be remembered, however, that these people actively chose teaching. It is their profession and they generally take great pride in it.

Of the variety of foreign teachers who show up and get a job teaching, I would say about 40% of them are unable to perform their jobs up to a reasonable expectation. Of that 40% about 20% do not belong anywhere near a classroom.

Of the 60% who are adequate or above, I would say there are about 5% - 8% that are absolutely excellent. They are motivated, and have a particular gift for education.

Please be aware, these are a guess, but it's based on things like the number of teachers who are terminated at the end of the year (in several schools and different programs).

Please be aware that many, many teachers could be effectively utilized if the schools took their strengths and built on them rather than expecting them to do everything the 'Thai way."

For myself, I'm 31, I started teaching when I was 28.

I think that under 20 is too young for a teacher, primarily because you need to be 20+ to apply for a teachers licence lol. Teacher's licence aside, I think that if you're teaching in a high school, being a little older (or looking older), is good for ensuring that the students don't forget that you're their teacher, not their friend. Being of a similar age to the students, it's easy to be their friend, as you have similar interests etc, which can diminish your position as their teacher. But it's all up to the individual and how they manage it, as a firm distinction needs to be made with the students, that you're their teacher, not their friend (despite having similar interests etc).

Likewise for older teachers, some older guys are still able to learn new things and are physically fit and active. Some older people are able to learn new things easily, others are stuck in their ways, if a teacher can't learn "Thai style", then they're going to spend all of their time trying to push **** up hill. Likewise a teacher is expected to be physically fit and active, they don't have to be running marathons, but should be capable of participating, at least for a short time, in the various games etc which are usually run during an English camp. But again, it's really upto the individual, although I'd say that for a teacher who is new to teaching in Thailand, 60+ would be too old (Unless they had a background in teaching or had been living in Thailand for a while already).

39...going on my 6th year in LOS.....same school. my school has a teacher who I believe is 78, but is in good physical shape. he walks everywhere. also several teachers in their 50's 60's.

I think less than 21 or 22 is too young, but there's always exceptions. my school once hired an 18 yr old and he quit during the first week. He could not handle the prathom kids. I taught prathom my first semester in LOS and also didn't like it. my school switched me to mattayom and that's why I'm still here.

38, and going on 2 years in LOS. I teach Anuban 1 and 2, as well as Prathom 4-5-6. Been in the same school since I got here. Have a degree in Criminal Justice, and just a 120 hour TEFL certificate.

We have had 5 other teachers at this school since I started, oldest was 31 and youngest was a 19 year old intern. Only one of those teachers actually stayed a full term, a 25 year old from Missouri USA who just had a knack for the kids and the classroom.

Age is not going to be the deciding factor for wanting to teach. Your motivation and genuine want to share knowledge, as well as understanding of what you are teaching (knowing when to use an apostrophe, or the difference between their, there and they're). The job is difficult even on good days, but it is still the most rewarding and enjoyable job I have ever had. Probably won't ever leave this school.

• Like 2

More of a question, I thought the starting age for teaching without experience is 30 or under. I'm also combatting boredom, in my late 40s, previous Entertainment (print) Designer/Art Director with no teaching experience. Wondering, though no idea if they have such classes here, is it possible to teach Photoshop & Desktop Publishing - Marketing Design here at a school or University being over-aged & unexperienced?

I would suggest that if you are looking to teach it in English you contact some of the local Contractors, ie SIAM. Also let people in your area know and you may find it there.

I am 57 been teaching here at a Matayom level for a year and a half. As to age it is more to do with maturity and desire. Taught with at 19 year old but students ate him alive

I spent a year teaching Chemistry and Physics at a government school - it was great; and I was well recieved. Mostly because the previous expats weren't knowledgable in science; I actually threw out the textbook and focused on teaching real science and even got the Thai teachers to let me open a lab. (I did have a Thai teacher come in a give the safety talk prior to every lab - didn't want my instruction on that to be confusing) Best year of my life; the school even offered me a place closet to stay - but I couldn't afford the low salary. But again, a great year and I really think I made a difference is some kids (most didn't seem to want to learn). I hope they will always remember "why the sky is blue" in my presentation.

What is the ideal age for a teacher that employers are looking for?

Do you think that there is ever a point where one could be considered to be "too old"?

Some say that you should be "under 40" while others have said they prefer people in their late twenties, while others say employers prefer people "under 45."

What is your consensus? Is there any validity to any of this?

I'm in my fifth year teaching here, aged 55. I'm not sure there is an ideal age. I definitely think you could be too young. I say this simply on the basis that the one thing you can't beat is classroom experience. By good luck I resolved early on to be reflective, meaning to problem solve my lessons and to try to identify things that worked and things that didn't work. I say good luck because there is no support available in my place, no process for discussing issues, few meetings, no concept of development, no will to do anything positive, no real interest - I'm not sure it would be much different anywhere else.

I've signed up for some online courses which I have to say have been incredibly helpful. If, like me, you're not a qualified teacher but interested in your own development, I would suggest you get into some of this stuff. However it wouldn't be of much value to me without the classroom experience I have now gained.

My whole approach in the classroom has changed a lot since the beginning in part because of self-appraisal and in part because of continuing professional development. I don't think it is really about age but rather about attitude, focus and outlook.

You can have all the EXPERIENCE, you can have a diploma in social education, did professional translations, taught in other countries, lived and worked in the U.S., but you will not receive an invitation to an interview, when you are not a NATIVE speaker. This happened to me after applying at three schools, all managed by Britons.

What is the ideal age for a teacher that employers are looking for?

Do you think that there is ever a point where one could be considered to be "too old"?

Some say that you should be "under 40" while others have said they prefer people in their late twenties, while others say employers prefer people "under 45."

What is your consensus? Is there any validity to any of this?

No ideal age. I worked with a gent who was in his mid- 70's and the school hired him - he had lots of experience and quickly became a manager at the school. One day he did not turn up at work. He had died in his bed the night before.

Any school that talks about ideal age is, IMO, thinking about image and presentation, not substance. We have over 200 foreign teachers at our school(s), the age and diversity is very good. There are always a larger number in their mid to late 20's, but they make up the bulk of people applying - not a school policy.

A bigger issue in Thailand in terms of hiring is race not age. Tattoos also used to be a major no-no, but I see this has changed a lot too.

Sad to say that image is far more important here than substance. Your ability or lack of does not matter as much as if you look like the image that the person in charge is looking for, especially since NOBODY can fail here, everybody passes the test no matter how crap they are in reality as nobody is ever allowed to be seen to lose face. A ridiculous system run by ridiculous people unfortunately and one of the main reasons this country is stuck in an enormous rut of it's own making that will be continually sustained...Just wait till ASEAN comes and Thailand is pushed out by the far superior students from the other countries in the region....

You can have all the EXPERIENCE, you can have a diploma in social education, did professional translations, taught in other countries, lived and worked in the U.S., but you will not receive an invitation to an interview, when you are not a NATIVE speaker. This happened to me after applying at three schools, all managed by Britons.

if the avatar is you, that might also have something to do with it. smile.png

if the avatar is you, that might also have something to do with it. smile.png

You are right, if the avatar has something to do with it. But if the avatar is not the reason, then you can call the described behaving as discriminating.

Edited by fxe1200

Let's take care about too much finger pointing at different nationalities. A lot of schools don't have a real Human Resources department, so the interviewing is left to people have other responsibilities as well.

Some schools only want native speakers, others will take people who are Farang, regardless of the country of origin.

Thailand does a lot of discriminating.