What's your opinion of Thai's wearing gold?

Chittychangchang

It's all about 'face'. 'Look at me, look how much gold I have, look how rich I am !' When you see someone covered in gold you are supposed to instantly respect them because they have more money than you do. Stupid I know but that's the way it is here...

It makes a statement, along the lines of...

'look at me, I am going to get mugged!'

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai chavs, the poorer they are the more gold they wear.

What he said.

Go to the UK, take a look at the market stall holders with their industrial-sized gold curb chains - same thing. I haven't noticed more refined Thai people wearing tacky gold jewellery.

I think it is a bit of both:

- status issue

- lack of real culture and values

A 1 M bt property investment is a far better thing than a 1M bt worth of gold and stones on all ten fingers (short and fat), neck (short) and wrists (fat).

With a woman draped all over you need a gold digger shovel to get through.

• Like 1

It is of course a status symbol here as in anywhere else in the world, used mostly by people from a previous poor background enforcing their rise of position by visual means.

Real in-your-face show of wealth, or perceived wealth. You can almost relate it to the earlier rappers coming out of the ghettos in the States and the invention of bling..........wink.png

Interesting question and responses. I tend to agree that those who feel they need to display wealth, are the ones who wear lots of Gold. Let's not forget also, that for many Thais it's effectively a savings account too, to be cashed in when times are hard.

Recently my wife and I had a look at a few Gold shops in Bangkok. I wanted a Gold Chain to hang some lucky charms on. But............

I could not find one long enough anywhere, that would be well out of sight when worn. i.e. In our own country I didn't want to look like a Chav, Bogan or whatever. They don't make them long enough to be out of sight :-)

And second, I really wanted 18 ct Gold not 24. The 24 ct just looks too yellow and 'over the top'. Again, not available :-)

It seems the only bling you can buy is for show. Looks like I'll buy a long 18 ct chain online :-)

In our village you will only see the older grannies when they go to the wat with their gold. I have a one Baht gold ring (wedding ring) and my wife has 4 Baht which I gave her for the wedding. She seldom uses it. Her mum has a 2 Baht necklace and her granny a 1 Baht necklace. Nobody really shows it it off but it is more like a saving when times are difficult.

• Like 2

It is of course a status symbol here as in anywhere else in the world, used mostly by people from a previous poor background enforcing their rise of position by visual means.

Real in-your-face show of wealth, or perceived wealth. You can almost relate it to the earlier rappers coming out of the ghettos in the States and the invention of bling..........wink.png

Interesting question and responses. I tend to agree that those who feel they need to display wealth, are the ones who wear lots of Gold. Let's not forget also, that for many Thais it's effectively a savings account too, to be cashed in when times are hard.

Recently my wife and I had a look at a few Gold shops in Bangkok. I wanted a Gold Chain to hang some lucky charms on. But............

I could not find one long enough anywhere, that would be well out of sight when worn. i.e. In our own country I didn't want to look like a Chav, Bogan or whatever. They don't make them long enough to be out of sight :-)

And second, I really wanted 18 ct Gold not 24. The 24 ct just looks too yellow and 'over the top'. Again, not available :-)

It seems the only bling you can buy is for show. Looks like I'll buy a long 18 ct chain online :-)

Your not looking hard enough I have a 22 inch chain and its perfect size and can be easily hidden wearing a shirt with collar they are out there you just have to look it was not hard to to find it but of course it cant be a 1baht or 2baht chain cos it will be weak as shit and will break, (unless its really thin) also be sure to go for a solid linkage for strength because its soft gold if its hollow linkage,

Settle I was on a wind up, his pic has nothing to do with the OP, to be fair if it was me I'd not be best pleased my pic was posted unless of course you or the guy who posted it is him.

I never posted it and yeah I would not be happy having a picture of me posted without my permission which i thought was against TV rules because the guy who posted it aint him

Your not looking hard enough I have a 22 inch chain and its perfect size and can be easily hidden wearing a shirt with collar they are out there you just have to look it was not hard to to find it but of course it cant be a 1baht or 2baht chain cos it will be weak as shit and will break, (unless its really thin) also be sure to go for a solid linkage for strength because its soft gold if its hollow linkage,

You ought to sell one of your chains and treat yourself to some punctuation mate. Sheesh that was hard work reading that! biggrin.png

• Like 1

Settle I was on a wind up, his pic has nothing to do with the OP, to be fair if it was me I'd not be best pleased my pic was posted unless of course you or the guy who posted it is him.

I never posted it and yeah I would not be happy having a picture of me posted without my permission which i thought was against TV rules because the guy who posted it aint him

The guy that is on that pic is supposed to be famous in Pattaya and not someone to mess with. But hey keyboard warriors that are anonymous will do things to make fun of him. Not that I know the guy or care that much (live in BKK)

The correlation between wearing lots of gold and being wealthy just proves the old adage money doesn't buy class.

In my experience the real money ( both here and back home) don't flash what they've got. They don't need to. Everybody knows how minted they are. Last year at a function I was introduced to a bloke who's currently on the Forbes list of richest Thais. Quiet, unassuming, polite, dollar billionaire. I clocked he had a nice discrete Patek Philppe on his wrist, He didn't roll up like the bastard son of Jimmy Saville and Snoop Dogg or a Thai amulet trader/car tent owner.

Nothing of genuine value requires ads.

A really intelligent person will not show off.

A really wealthy person will not show off.

A really strong person will not show off.

I think French have something like 'nuove riche' term, often used derogatory. (PARDON MY FRENCH).

Any urge to show off, flaunt, make a statement is coming from insecurity, inferiority complex or desire to win by dazzling the stupid majority.

A really strong person will not show off cheesy.gif wonder what happens at strongman competitions.

A really intelligent person will not show off.. I wonder what are all those scientific prizes are for.

Rich... kinda depends some show others don't.

• Like 2

You ought to sell one of your chains and treat yourself to some punctuation mate. Sheesh that was hard work reading that! biggrin.png

biggrin.png My punctuation does not seem to affect my income thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The correlation between wearing lots of gold and being wealthy just proves the old adage money doesn't buy class.

In my experience the real money ( both here and back home) don't flash what they've got. They don't need to. Everybody knows how minted they are. Last year at a function I was introduced to a bloke who's currently on the Forbes list of richest Thais. Quiet, unassuming, polite, dollar billionaire. I clocked he had a nice discrete Patek Philppe on his wrist, He didn't roll up like the bastard son of Jimmy Saville and Snoop Dogg or a Thai amulet trader/car tent owner.

Nothing of genuine value requires ads.

A really intelligent person will not show off.

A really wealthy person will not show off.

A really strong person will not show off.

I think French have something like 'nuove riche' term, often used derogatory. (PARDON MY FRENCH).

Any urge to show off, flaunt, make a statement is coming from insecurity, inferiority complex or desire to win by dazzling the stupid majority.

What a Crock of S#$%T LOL

Each person is different and while you have as many that wish to hide their wealth and be discrete, you also have those that like to flaunt their wealth, there is just as many of each.

Edited by DiamondKing
  • Like 2

The guy that is on that pic is supposed to be famous in Pattaya and not someone to mess with. But hey keyboard warriors that are anonymous will do things to make fun of him. Not that I know the guy or care that much (live in BKK)

yes your right LOL he does a lot of good in Pattaya but a smart person would not cross him and yes he is a convicted criminal, but still posting his picture on a forum like this is wrong no matter what his past is as it would be posting any other persons picture without asking their permission first.

• Like 1

my opinion of ANYONE wearing gold is that they are asking to get robbed

It is certainly a risk that I take.. but most of the time the gold is under my t shirt, plus its 18K gold does not come off as easy as Thai gold. I don't worry as much as I don't live in a tourist area and l don't look like someone who would be an easy target, and usually under my t shirt as its sentimental value.

Anyway.. people have worn gold in all ages and its jewelry made to be worn. If it was just for investment get the gold bars and be done with it.

• Like 1

my opinion of ANYONE wearing gold is that they are asking to get robbed

It is certainly a risk that I take.. but most of the time the gold is under my t shirt, plus its 18K gold does not come off as easy as Thai gold. I don't worry as much as I don't live in a tourist area and l don't look like someone who would be an easy target, and usually under my t shirt as its sentimental value.

Anyway.. people have worn gold in all ages and its jewelry made to be worn. If it was just for investment get the gold bars and be done with it.

Same here, I wear a Thai gold chain but due to the weight, it would be very difficult to snatch and grab it as its very strong, and like robblok I am not an easy target (6,1 and 260 pounds) its also worn under clothing and not flashed around.

I really dont think its such a big issue, unless someone is dripping in it and flashing it around then your asking for trouble,

The guy in the picture posted in this thread lives and walks all around Pattayabeach road in his gold chains, nobody has taken his yet and they are in full view..( I wonder why LOL)

Edited by DiamondKing

I used to work for a beef farmer in the northern territory. He owns 92,000 acres (232,694 rai of grazing land) As you can imagine he was quite wealthy to say the least.whistling.gif Anyway he was quite content in wearing older clothes than most of the laborers, driving a 10 year old Hilux and laying under a tree a smoko to eat his corned beef sandwiches with the workers. He was one of the most polite men i've ever met, a true gent. He could probably afford to invest in hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gold every month if he wished to.

He didn't need to do that sort of thing, he's perfectly content with his life and doesn't feel the need to show his millions of dollars off whilst walking around the local market like some of these doghnuts try to.

Black Issan girl sat on the back of an old honda dream with colored contacts and half oz of gold around her neck, pulled out over her blouse to be sure the lower "working" class see's it. Wow, now that is someone to look up to.coffee1.gif

Wearing gold discreetly can be superb! Wearing it brazenly can at times appear vulgar. Gold is 'de rigeur' the first demand of any bar girl who agrees to 'go out' with a farang, whether it be a necklace or bracelet. The amusing part is that as soon as it is received, the girl in question rushes off to a jeweller to get the value and carat appraised!

what about falangs wearing them?

i think it looks good..

1235394_10200590512426777_369652916_n.jp

Tim "sharky" ward. Google and view his Twi##er account photo's.ohmy.png

I hope his Pecker is not in proportion to his body, or she is in for one hellofva rough ride lol.

PS She is cute, and he looks good.

PPS, No i am not gay.

The guy does tons of good for the homeless animals and people on the streets of Pattaya he raised money for a motorized scooter for an young homeless invalid girl so she could be mobile and get around, that was several thousand dollars ($4500 i think it was) while he has a checkered past looks like he is doing good with his life now, he pulls no punches and tells you just like it is and he lives his life for himself and the people he helps.

He gets a lot of stick by keyboard warriors on his twitter account who have no balls and would shit themself if he appeared next to them on their computers as they are typing away insulting him LOL , I like the guy straight shooter and treats people as they treat him and lives his life without giving a toss what others think of him.

gotta respect that

There are two types of Thais who wear lots of gold chains and bracelets, one who is really rich and one who is poor and wanna look rich.

I am neither very rich nor poor. I am financially secured. I have some collection of gold pieces and jewelries but I don't like wearing them. I am not one of those like to show off like that. I do not respect people who show off by flashing golds and looking down others who don't wear golds.

I could differentiate among Thais of one is rich or poor or one is intellectual or whatever by simply talking to them.

The guy does tons of good for the homeless animals and people on the streets of Pattaya he raised money for a motorized scooter for an young homeless invalid girl so she could be mobile and get around, that was several thousand dollars ($4500 i think it was) while he has a checkered past looks like he is doing good with his life now, he pulls no punches and tells you just like it is and he lives his life for himself and the people he helps.

He gets a lot of stick by keyboard warriors on his twitter account who have no balls and would shit themself if he appeared next to them on their computers as they are typing away insulting him LOL , I like the guy straight shooter and treats people as they treat him and lives his life without giving a toss what others think of him.

gotta respect that

Many former "baddies" become "goodies"....and are much better at it than the rest of us. He looks like he could extort money out of anyone just by crushing your hand and smiling until you helped out.