Magnitude-7.2 earthquake hits Philippines; at least four dead

webfact

Magnitude-7.2 earthquake hits Philippines; at least four dead

Manila - A magnitude-7.2 earthquake struck the central Philippines Tuesday, killing at least four people, officials said.

The tremor occurred 2 kilometres south-east of Carmen town in Bohol province, 640 kilometres south of Manila, according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology.

The first victims were reported from a building collapse in Cebu City, about 60 kilometres north of the epicentre, said Minda Morante, a regional civil defence director.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-15

UPDATE:
Philippine earthquake death toll rises to 20

MANILA: -- A magnitude-7.2 earthquake struck the central Philippines Tuesday, killing 20 people and causing roads to crack and buildings to collapse, the national disaster risk management agency said.

The tremor occurred 2 kilometres south-east of Carmen town in Bohol province, 640 kilometres south of Manila, according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology.

Thirty-three people were reported to have been injured in the tremor.

It was felt in the nearby provinces of Cebu, Negros, Masbate, Leyte and Iloilo, and as far as the southern region of Mindanao, the institute said.

The first victims were reported from a building collapse in Cebu City, about 60 kilometres north of the epicentre, said Minda Morante, a regional civil defence director.

Several domestic flights were cancelled as officials checked the status of some airports in the affected areas.

Initial reports said the airports in Cebu City and Tagbilaran City in Bohol had suffered cracks and some structures had collapsed, Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya said.

Source: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_10_15/Philippine-earthquake-death-toll-rises-to-20-2752/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2013-10-15

This was a chocking experience. Have experienced 2 eartquakes earlier, in 2012 and this year.

8:15 AM: I'm staying at top floor of a hotel in central cebu, when the building started to move 5+ feet in both direction. The building was dancing forth and back moving so much, I was sure my last moment had come. I guess it lasted for 2 minute.

Furniture moved many feet in the room. Office desk was half way across the room. Debris from walls soon covered the floor. When it finally calmed down, full panic in the building.

Running down exit stairs,the streets outside was full of broken glass etc. 2 major after chocks, and many minor chocks.

Fire department was fast around everywhere, reminding people over speakers to stay away from buildings, due to possible afterchocks the next hours.

60-70% of hotel guests checked out of the hotel, while hotel staff packed their things in the guests rooms.

Streets was crowded with locals. Malls, restaurants, almost all was closed, like a ghost town. Many buildings had damage, water leaking everywhere, broken windows....

4:45 pm another strong afterchock, and again remaining guests hurried to the exits. Until 7 pm people was still in the streets, in fear for more earth quakes.

Latest news on local TV reported 22 dead so far. RIP.

Asia2000

Cebu

Appreciating life a lot more tonight.

This was a chocking experience. Have experienced 2 eartquakes earlier, in 2012 and this year.

8:15 AM: I'm staying at top floor of a hotel in central cebu, when the building started to move 5+ feet in both direction. The building was dancing forth and back moving so much, I was sure my last moment had come. I guess it lasted for 2 minute.

Furniture moved many feet in the room. Office desk was half way across the room. Debris from walls soon covered the floor. When it finally calmed down, full panic in the building.

Running down exit stairs,the streets outside was full of broken glass etc. 2 major after chocks, and many minor chocks.

Fire department was fast around everywhere, reminding people over speakers to stay away from buildings, due to possible afterchocks the next hours.

60-70% of hotel guests checked out of the hotel, while hotel staff packed their things in the guests rooms.

Streets was crowded with locals. Malls, restaurants, almost all was closed, like a ghost town. Many buildings had damage, water leaking everywhere, broken windows....

4:45 pm another strong afterchock, and again remaining guests hurried to the exits. Until 7 pm people was still in the streets, in fear for more earth quakes.

Latest news on local TV reported 22 dead so far. RIP.

Asia2000

Cebu

Appreciating life a lot more tonight.

Wow sounds like you were very lucky, let's hope your luck holds.

Cebu - a city in Fear.

With more than 800 reported afterchocks since the Earthquake, the city is still a ghost town, closing down.

Cebu's 'prestige mall' Ayala, closed 5 pm today, for 'peoples safety'. Their escalators was closed, and many shops didn't open today. Structure damage could be seen, even on this 'high society mall'. Other malls was crowded with people buying water, milk etc.

Many hotels are reported to be closed, until further notice.

Buildings inspector has their work cut out for them, checking schools, hospitals, hotels.

Many TV stations are still down on sky cable.

Sunday 20 October, more afterchocks.

I waked up 4 AM due to strong afterchocks, again some people evacuted the hotel.

In 6 hrs recorded 6 afterchocks w/ magnitudes ranging from 4.0 to 5.1.

Strongest was recorded at 4:40 am.

Anyone planning to travel here should consider postpond their trip. It's not fun to be here now.

Number of quake dead rises to 184

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2013/10/20/number-quake-dead-rises-184-582-persons-injured-309548

Edited by Asia2000

Philippine quake death toll climbs to 185

Manila - The death toll rose to 185 Sunday from the worst earthquake to hit the Philippines in two decades as authorities began the task of rehabilitating devastated areas.

Most of the victims were killed in Bohol province, the epicenter of Tuesday’s magnitude 7.2-earthquake, where 172 were confirmed killed. At least nine were still missing and feared dead.

Thirteen people were killed in the nearby provinces of Cebu and Siquijor, while more than 500 were injured, the national disaster relief agency said.

Agency chief Eduardo Del Rosario said the biggest challenge was the repair and reconstruction of houses damaged by the quake that affected more than 3.5 million people

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-20

October 25, and afterchocks still continues here in Philippines, 10 days after The Big One

15 Oct 2013 - 08:12 AM 09.86 124.07 012 7.2 006 km S 24° W of Sagbayan (Borja) (Bohol)

More than 2000 after chocks was reported a few days ago. Just had another one now, that made my new hotel shake.

25 Oct 2013 - 12:13 AM 09.95 124.17 025 4.1 048 km N 45° E of Tagbilaran City

http://earthquake.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph/

Asia2000

Cebu