Car number plates with a background picture....legal or not?

vistana

You can get provincial number plates that depict a scene that represents that province, for example Kalasin has dinosaurs. These must be purchased from the government.

http://driving.information.in.th/license-plates.html

totster smile.png

That is a good idea. Do they also have Pattaya plates with a ladyboy or Phuket plates with a broken jet ski?

I'm sure you are aware that Pattaya isn't a province.... here is the Chonburi one

attachicon.gifLicense plate graphic Chonburi.jpg

And the Phuket one..

42572829.phkt1249.JPG

totster smile.png

From the plates, Phuket really looks underdeveloped compared to Chonburi (Pattaya).

If its a Legal Plate and the bottom right stamps legible whats the Problem.?. Cant be Colour, it glows red or flashes orange anyway from Brake n Idicator lights from other vehicles. Pedantic Copper had a few free Changs from the O.P. imo.biggrin.png

From the OP: "we bought these background plates at one of the many motor accessory shops" so no, not legal.

And subsequently, the OP has stated, "The plates came from our main dealer when we bought the car, fitted after we had the red ones for a while and so they are genuine plates with the seal shown on them."

If the latter is the case, then they are legal as different LTO's in different provinces made them available legally (there's some examples on the website linked in an earlier post). I recall having the option when we bought the CR-V in 2008 but we drove for so long with NO plates, we said no thanks, just get us the bloody white ones willya?!

AoP is right, the MiB wanted an extra beer with his noodles and the OP was the throw-down 'offender'. The OP shpuld leave em on. They look pretty and if it's only a 500 baht fine every 2 years, big deal.

Really the problem is that the Government is not providing a real service for the consumers and making a few $$$ for themselves. Many countries in the world will allow all sorts of number plates in nearly any reasonable combination. In my dowdy state in Australia, I can log on and order all sorts of plates. http://www.myplates.com.au/

The Thai Govt should allow the same.

Just to clarify again, the white plates were supplied and fitted by our Honda main dealer and yes they do have the round seal in the bottom right hand corner.... so the plates are legal.

We bought from one of the many car accessory shops the coloured background scene which was fitted to the original plates, covering up the white background of the original plates, just like the example posted in some of the earlier posts.

You can still see the original seal in the bottom corner and nothing else has been changed.

People are saying there illegal, so where does it state that in the police regulations.... if your saying they are illegal then please provide evidence to back it up!

Just to clarify again, the white plates were supplied and fitted by our Honda main dealer and yes they do have the round seal in the bottom right hand corner.... so the plates are legal.

We bought from one of the many car accessory shops the coloured background scene which was fitted to the original plates, covering up the white background of the original plates, just like the example posted in some of the earlier posts.

You can still see the original seal in the bottom corner and nothing else has been changed.

People are saying there illegal, so where does it state that in the police regulations.... if your saying they are illegal then please provide evidence to back it up!

You've got in a twist here you need to provide regularity evidence that the background of number plates can be covered over I'm sure there is a regulation stating No plates cannot be physically or visually altered i could not be bothered to find it but then i could not be bothered with picture plates real or not.

+1 kartman, I have neither the time nor the Thai language ability to find said laws.

But considering that the background colour forms part of the registration (think trucks, buses, taxis) and that there have been reports of people being fined even for touching up flaking black paint (caused by faulty plate manufacture) I suggest that such regulation does exist.

You've got in a twist here you need to provide regularity evidence that the background of number plates can be covered over I'm sure there is a regulation stating No plates cannot be physically or visually altered i could not be bothered to find it but then i could not be bothered with picture plates real or not.

The OP has finally explained what he has done. This is not a street legal, LTO-approved picture-plate. This is something that the OP bought and stuck on a basic plate to make it look they paid extra to have picture-plates, this making the plates illegal. You can't do that, sorry.

I guess the clue was the cop issuing a ticket/receipt and not just asking for money that went in the top pocket.

The plates with the provincial designs must be bought at special auctions, if you didn't buy them there or you have a different design altogether then they are illegal. Stop trying to convince yourself you are in the right and get correct ones fitted (or remove the sticker)

totster smile.png

/edit - Moral of the story...just because you can buy something in a shop, it doesn't mean it's legal.

Edited by Totster

Your last sentence makes it clear why You bothered to reply to the O.P.thumbsup.gif

Don't want to let standards sliplaugh.png actually it was my first sentencewink.png

Thats the Problem , my tinted glasses.Illegal when used in a tinted Car. Can't read a Coloured plate No Way. Is Colour Predudice creeping in via the Poor Folk..Ive got Em, but think they look daft, as if a Kids painted them over with Poster Paint.biggrin.png .

If its a Legal Plate and the bottom right stamps legible whats the Problem.?. Cant be Colour, it glows red or flashes orange anyway from Brake n Idicator lights from other vehicles. Pedantic Copper had a few free Changs from the O.P. imo.biggrin.png

From the OP: "we bought these background plates at one of the many motor accessory shops" so no, not legal.

And subsequently, the OP has stated, "The plates came from our main dealer when we bought the car, fitted after we had the red ones for a while and so they are genuine plates with the seal shown on them."

Doesn't matter, the plates are still illegal.

Thanks to everyone who put a constructive comment about my original question.... and have confirmed it direct with the LTO who said guess what they are.....illegal.

So have now taken the pretty picture off....sad.png

End of story..... time for a beer now....to drown my sorrows....lol

Why bother, if you enjoyed them ,keep em on.The chances of finding another School Prefect are Zero. But If your unlucky give em another 200 Beer Tokens.My genune ones cost TOOOOOOOOOOO Much. If ida known about Lotus my Mrs could have bought the same.thumbsup.gif .

I think it's better to stay within the law and keep the legal plates on....

....but when I was waiting for my legal plates and did not have the "red" ones,I've put my "funny" souvenir plates from US (see my avatar) for about 3 months....never got stopped ones...in CM of course...smile.png

You can get provincial number plates that depict a scene that represents that province, for example Kalasin has dinosaurs. These must be purchased from the government.

totster smile.png

That is a good idea. Do they also have Pattaya plates with a ladyboy or Phuket plates with a broken jet ski?

I'm sure you are aware that Pattaya isn't a province.... here is the Chonburi one

totster smile.png

Correct, but the Chonburi plates do vary slightly - some have the Jomtien scene shown, others have a Pattaya based scene (link below), and others have a rather more attractive "Bang Saen" based scene.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foreign-Chonburi-Thailand-Expired-Graphic-Auctioned-License-Plate-AUTHENTIC/291002473172?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D2260960712747425513%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D290984949800%26

Edited by LeCharivari

I think they look a bit daft, in LOS they are only to show folk they driver is a rich guy. To me a plate should be ''lost'' as they are an eye sore regarding the overall look of a ride.

Rather like the Trick Plate idea , gives the Coppers Narks here a chance to be be Upstanding. Perhaps they could Capture the Offenders on their Dash Cams. Word is a Certain Unamed Province has a Bus going into a Ravine . Jeeeez its only a bit of Tin.cheesy.gif

totster smile.png

totster smile.png

Correct, but the Chonburi plates do vary slightly - some have the Jomtien scene shown, others have a Pattaya based scene (link below), and others have a rather more attractive "Bang Saen" based scene.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foreign-Chonburi-Thailand-Expired-Graphic-Auctioned-License-Plate-AUTHENTIC/291002473172?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D2260960712747425513%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D290984949800%26

I think you'll find that is the difference is due to versions released in different years. For anyone who is interested there is a nice resource here,

http://tambon.blogspot.com/search/label/License%20plate

totster :)