House book why is it so important ?

I have no personal interest in this question, just a curiosity.

Is that a kind of domicile certificate? Or that one (Thai or foreinger) owns the house where he lives ?

What is someome has never stayed in an "house" and just rents an apartment since birth ?

I believe it originated as a census document before there were ID cards. Since ID cards have the holder's address on them, there doesn't seem much point in them any more but the Thai government is rather slow to change things, e.g. alien books and residence books for permanent residents have been around since the late 20s virtually unchanged. Everyone has to get into a book to get their first ID card. If there family doesn't own a property and their landlord refuses to put in the book for their rental accommodation, they must beg relatives or friends to register them. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the population don't live at the address of their tabien baan an ID card.

No tabien baan ==> no I.D. card ==> no legal employment nor entry to higher education nor social welfare nor registration of children's births, etc.

For foreigners not on PR or work permits, no messing around having to obtain a residence certificate each time one buys and sells a vehicle, applies for a driver's licence, contacts government entities, etc.

It is actually an ancient Chinese house registration system going back 1000++ years. They were the first to have a true, functioning civil service and bureaucrats have to have figures and records. It was mostly a way to control populations and the movement of people. Even to this day, Chinese need an internal passport to travel from province to province and need official permission to change places of residence.

Edited by dddave

It is actually an ancient Chinese house registration system going back 1000++ years. They were the first to have a true, functioning civil service and bureaucrats have to have figures and records. It was mostly a way to control populations and the movement of people. Even to this day, Chinese need an internal passport to travel from province to province and need official permission to change places of residence.

Not sure the if Chinese were the first. Possibly Egypt was. Well know is the Roman census system starting 600 BC. With the same system they introduced tax and conscription.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census

I currently reside in a jointly owned (with my Thai gf) condo in Bangna and have a yellow book in my name, my gf having a blue book in her name.

I am thinking of buying a second holiday home property in my gf's sole name in Korat, do we need to register for a blue book again?

I currently reside in a jointly owned (with my Thai gf) condo in Bangna and have a yellow book in my name, my gf having a blue book in her name.

I am thinking of buying a second holiday home property in my gf's sole name in Korat, do we need to register for a blue book again?

You are only registered in one blue(or yellow) book at the time, as the place where you are registered is your official residence. All government post etc will be send to that address, and your GF has to vote in the area she is registered.

With a new house/condo should come a blue book, but only with the owner mentioned in it if nobody is registered at the address.

If one is single, rents a home, can one get a yellow book? If so, where to apply in Chiang Mai or elsewhere? Thanks John

Yes, as long as you are on an extension of stay based on a non-immigrant visa.

The house owner must give permission to enter you on the house hold book, so talk with him/her first. Many house owners don't want people to register at their house.

If you get permission, the place to apply is the local amphur for the place you live.

For clarification: the book belongs to the house an lists who officially resides at that address. it is not your book and if you move, you move to the book for the new address (if you get permission to register there).