DSI to probe Thai workers berry-picking fiasco in Sweden and Finland

webfact

in here finland this was known on news.

the owner of the company told , thais quit picking too early.

well..another thought

Why do Sweden and Finland use Thai people to pluk fruit ?You have to fly them in from halfway around the world when you can just as easely get fruit pickers from countrys like Poland like fruit farmers do in my country descent hard working folk and most of them return every season and never any hassle with them.

I do not believe for one minute That the Finnish and Swedisch governments would allow such slave labour in this day and age.Do you have some more info from Finnish newspapers or websites because Thai newspapers are crap any way.

Quite right......The Scandys do not work that way.....

I'm sure they are supplied via an agency here in Thailand....probably under priced at tender time....lied and sent the pickers to Finland....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

http://www.finlandtimes.fi/national/2013/10/15/2823/20-Thai-berry-pickers-return-home-without-salary

Despite various efforts to settle down the salary disputes, 20 Thai berry pickers out of total 50 are to return home without drawing any salary.

“The berry pickers incurred on an average a loss of Euro 2000 while 20 of them even did not receive any salary,” the representative of the berry pickers, Taneli Hämäläinen told STT on Monday.

Berry company Ber-Ex said that most of the berry pickers had accepted the salary but few of them declined as they thought the amount was low. They claimed that they were the victims of human trafficking, but allegation was rejected by the prosecutor.

The last batch of 16 members of the Thai group is scheduled to leave Helsinki Airport on Tuesday ...16 berry pickers had to stay for more time as the Thailand Labour ministry, which is paying for their return tickets delayed to find out cheaper tickets for them.

Nothing about berry pickers selling jiuce to pay for the tickets

Thai berry pickers have refused to leave. They tried to silence Thais by removing them.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/thai_berry_pickers_refuse_to_leave_finland/6831765

It appears to be Finland Company that is involved. I suspect labor laws have not been complied with; but that doesn't seem to concern the government of Finland. This appears to be a very organized operation scamming third world people. Purportedly tey are paid Eur 2.40 per hour ~100 Baht but they have to pay their own expenses. The possibility of berry abundance appears uncertain.

http://www.migranttales.net/thai-berry-pickers-in-finland-are-between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place/

• Like 1

So for some (too many) it's hard to believe that exploitation and slave labor can happen in North Europe nowadays.

To support the theory that in reality this a Thai peasants scam, they cite poor journo math.

Sad, but not surprising.

• Like 1

Following further on line research this appears to be a terrible story of exploitation. Thai berry pickers arrived at a location that had been stripped of berries by other pickers weeks earlier. After a long fruitless struggle new batch of berries appeared but company decided to move them to another area which had already been picked clean.

This is a terrible scam against the Thai berry pickers. Somebody is making large amounts scamming third world peasants.

http://www.finlandtoday.fi/index.php?news&nid=95#.Ul5MKuK4Vjs

Edited by Netizen

http://www.finlandtimes.fi/national/2013/10/15/2823/20-Thai-berry-pickers-return-home-without-salary

Despite various efforts to settle down the salary disputes, 20 Thai berry pickers out of total 50 are to return home without drawing any salary.

“The berry pickers incurred on an average a loss of Euro 2000 while 20 of them even did not receive any salary,” the representative of the berry pickers, Taneli Hämäläinen told STT on Monday.

Berry company Ber-Ex said that most of the berry pickers had accepted the salary but few of them declined as they thought the amount was low. They claimed that they were the victims of human trafficking, but allegation was rejected by the prosecutor.

The last batch of 16 members of the Thai group is scheduled to leave Helsinki Airport on Tuesday ...16 berry pickers had to stay for more time as the Thailand Labour ministry, which is paying for their return tickets delayed to find out cheaper tickets for them.

Thai berry pickers have refused to leave. They tried to silence Thais by removing them.

It appears to be Finland Company that is involved. I suspect labor laws have not been complied with; but that doesn't seem to concern the government of Finland. This appears to be a very organized operation scamming third world people. Purportedly tey are paid Eur 2.40 per hour ~100 Baht but they have to pay their own expenses. The possibility of berry abundance appears uncertain.

http://www.migranttales.net/thai-berry-pickers-in-finland-are-between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place/

quick translation on the left redbased text:

flight ticket and insurance 1500 eur

company organized-food residency, car and carry to delivery berries 1400 eur

personal expenses and other costs 500e

if picked berries 3000 kgs

per hour :24 cents

on the right : if picked 6000 kgs, 2,4 e per hour

finland is land of broken dreams ;) ;) ;) ;)

just checked last years average price in selling for blueberries

1.5-2,8 e / liter

quite amount between pickers and sellers, if pickers get less than 0.5 e per liter....

The berry pickers incurred on an average a loss of Euro 2000 while 20 of them even did not receive any salary, the representative of the berry pickers, Taneli Hämäläinen told STT on Monday.

Did not receive any or declined it because it was too low. What did the local agent offer them? I have a feeling the story will end up that the Thai end of it trousered a big wedge.....

Load your gun and visit the recruiter if he/she is still there. Be brave enough! before you go, prepare big letters on paper "his life is not enough to pay his victims sufferings..." leave the message on his corpse.

best justice

Something is not right with the story. Authorities in Sweden and Finland are probably the first to jail the employers for decades if they were letting employees work without pay or when the pay went to middlemen.

What is the real story? THai journalists are not well known for investigating and asking questions.

Something is not right with the story. Authorities in Sweden and Finland are probably the first to jail the employers for decades if they were letting employees work without pay or when the pay went to middlemen. What is the real story? THai journalists are not well known for investigating and asking questions.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark? Finlanders can do no wrong.

Maybe the Swedes will interven and accuse the Thais of rape. Every little thing in the Scandinavian new world order will be back in balance.

Just ask Julian Assange about Swedish justice.

Edited by Netizen
  • Like 2

The Thai agents by and large never set a foot in Finland. They're swinging big back in their sleazy dens back in Kohn Kaen or wherever.

As for the Finns, they are just naive bystanders. You couldn't conceive of a bigger cultural divide if you tried!

Something is not right with the story. Authorities in Sweden and Finland are probably the first to jail the employers for decades if they were letting employees work without pay or when the pay went to middlemen. What is the real story? THai journalists are not well known for investigating and asking questions.

i have thought this same, what is the real and real truth.

and y thai embassy didnt help those pickers at all, one of my questions.

in here finland we have many fluent thai-finn interpreters, including me, so

i think...what i think...

thai pickers thought to ask help from finn govnment, i havent read, that it was arranged that way.

on radio heard about this that some finns judge the finnish company which took them (pickers) and let them without salaries, some said, it is thaipeoples fault that they even thought this would be goldmine.

just telling, what heard, is it fact, asking myself as well.

Not wishing to derail the thread, and of course it's terrible to see someone die over this but I see this as some sort of karmic justice for all the farang who have been duped into losing vast amounts of hard earned money.

Sillies post of the day, but sure you can do better.

Not wishing to derail the thread, and of course it's terrible to see someone die over this but I see this as some sort of karmic justice for all the farang who have been duped into losing vast amounts of hard earned money.

Sillies post of the day, but sure you can do better.

is it silly, but when leaves own homecountry, then u r on your own.

been there done that

Following further on line research this appears to be a terrible story of exploitation. Thai berry pickers arrived at a location that had been stripped of berries by other pickers weeks earlier. After a long fruitless struggle new batch of berries appeared but company decided to move them to another area which had already been picked clean.

This is a terrible scam against the Thai berry pickers. Somebody is making large amounts scamming third world peasants.

All very nice but who are the people who recruited them in Thailand in the first place ?Surely Thai middlemen must have been involved.

When Thai woman are "saved "from slaved prostitution in my country police would always arrest Thai female recruiters who have been living in my country for a very long time and keep there contacts in the motherland to recruit the girls and there farang hubbys would take care of visas and such.

I can not keep count anymore of how many of these so called Thai massage places have been raided the past few years .

.... Thai middlemen must have been involved.

When Thai woman are "saved "from slaved prostitution .....Thai massage places have been raided the past few years .

..we will never know ..

suchkind business is usually out of regular people to know anything

Each had to pay THB 120,000 in travel expenses to be able to make THB 100,000 per head.

A-rai wa? xshock1.gif.pagespeed.ic.C4LgKzwLl8.webp xshock1.gif.pagespeed.ic.C4LgKzwLl8.webp xshock1.gif.pagespeed.ic.C4LgKzwLl8.webp

While I don't know what the cost of a round trip ticket to these destinations is, I do know that it does NOT cost $4000 for a round trip ticket to San Francisco. Sounds like a scam, pure and simple.

Now, if only these scammers could set up shop in Phuket and scam the Taxi, tuk-tuk and jet-ski operators. That would be worth reading about.

All very nice but who are the people who recruited them in Thailand in the first place ?Surely Thai middlemen must have been involved.

When Thai woman are "saved "from slaved prostitution in my country police would always arrest Thai female recruiters who have been living in my country for a very long time and keep there contacts in the motherland to recruit the girls and there farang hubbys would take care of visas and such.

I can not keep count anymore of how many of these so called Thai massage places have been raided the past few years .

George Davis is innocent! Bil Posters is innocent!

The Finlanders are innocent!

Must be the machinations of Swedes cleverly diguised as whining brown-skinned foreigners and cleverly diguised as exploitive Finns. A plot to relieve the boredom of daily life in Finland.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

This has to be one of the worst laid out stories I have ever seen.

The fact that someone committed suicide is hidden in paragraph 7, after the fact that some idle people maybe got conned out of 4k USD, but 500 people lost 100mn

biggrin.png That should give you a clue yes ? When the Finland was in the crosshairs it was one thing - when a thai company is now in the crosshairs well lets put that in the last paragrph - and heaven forbid, they name them !

He also wanted the DSI to punish the Thai company involved