E-cigarette in Bangkok ?

anthobkk

Hi,

For several years I'm trying to quit smoking because even being still young ( 27 years old ) I already feel the effects of cigarettes on my body and I worry for the future.
When I was in Europe I've almost quit/greatly reduced my consumption because it costs too much and being a student I had to choose between eating or smoking and the choice was quickly made.
The problem in Thailand , it is cheap, so I came back to smoke about 10 cigarettes/day (double on weekends drunk.gif ). I've tried to stop but I couldn't do it and I gained about 10 kg within a month...
My friends in Europe told me that they have switched to the E -cigarette and it works pretty well and finally have stopped completely real cigarettes .
I wonder if some of you are in my case and if they find it such cigarettes in Bangkok ?
I would also like to know if there are any counterfeits that could be as harmful as real cigarettes without my noticing.
Thanks.

I do not believe they are illegal to buy or illegal to own/use. Yes they are illegal to sell (I heard) because some rich cnt controls the nicotine chewing gum market - the only stop smoking aid available in Thailand, obviously he doesn't want to share the market with other aids and he has the connections to prevent legalization of e-cigarettes.

Everyone has noticed by now that on Thai air planes they included the words "use of electronic cigarettes is prohibited in lavatories" in addition to the regular warning "smoking in lavatories is prohibited". :D

Unless Thais come up with some new gadgets that the rest of the world don't, they can't prevent folks from using e-cigs in toilets simply because the smoke detectors detect smoke (surprise!) and there is no smoke from e-cigarette.

I do not believe they are illegal to buy or illegal to own/use. Yes they are illegal to sell (I heard) because some rich cnt controls the nicotine chewing gum market - the only stop smoking aid available in Thailand, obviously he doesn't want to share the market with other aids and he has the connections to prevent legalization of e-cigarettes.

e-cigarettes are not banned because of some guy with a monopole in nicotine chewing gums. thats nonsense.

That's what I heard and that's believable, it explains why there're no other stop smoking aids on the Thai market. And the guy in question is some big minister or something in Thai gov't.

I would totally believe it...

In regards to the OP if it is infact illegal to sell them in Thailand then you will of course have to look international. A friend of mine said he started using Rare Air, but they are based in Canada and I have no idea of how much shipment is or even if they do ship internationally.

Edited by Pitts

That's what I heard and that's believable, it explains why there're no other stop smoking aids on the Thai market. And the guy in question is some big minister or something in Thai gov't.

They sell the nicotine gum in Boots and Watsons.

E cigs are available in Cambodia; PP at least....

You can buy them in Thailand, I heard there's a few places that sell them in MBK and others around Bangkok.

In Hua Hin there's several stores which sell them in the Market Village shopping center.

Do a google search for 'thai evape' and click on the first link that comes up then you will find all that you need to know.

There are plenty of the devices and nic liquid on Sukhumvit Rd in BKK between Soi 3 and soi 15 or so, plenty of devices on the markets around Pattaya, pretty sure the other cities have them too. I can't advice on any particular model though, but I can advice opening up and smelling nic liquid before buying it, they don't have infinite shelve life and do get rotten after a while, open a bottle, squeeze it slightly and try to catch a whiff of the smell. If it smells like sh!t, dont' buy it, you will know if it smells bad, there are no flavors like that, Thais selling it call it buffalo flavor, right...

OP, google for some online shops that sell the devices and liquid, read up on some of the most popular devices and if you plan to buy it locally in BKK or anywhere else in Thai, look for the models you're familiar with. eGo series are popular and available in Thailand.

I used to smoke, quit a long time ago without any aids, then started again after getting divorced, smoked for a few years, completely switched to eCig and then even quit them.

From my experience the best device(s) is the one with variable voltage - the one you can adjust the voltage to fine tune the amount of vapor also try to find a reliable supplier for the nic liquid, if you aren't satisfied with the c-cig effect, it's probably because you're not getting enough nic, switch to a stronger concentration. Lots of users give up and go back to regular cigs because they try cheap devices and poor quality liquid.

This is the supplier I used

http://www.greenhouseone.com/Default.asp

I know some Thai expats used them too and getting their orders shipped to Thailand, occasionally the orders get refused by Thai customs so don't order anything in large quantities.

Here is another useful resource.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

Everyone has noticed by now that on Thai air planes they included the words "use of electronic cigarettes is prohibited in lavatories" in addition to the regular warning "smoking in lavatories is prohibited". biggrin.png

Unless Thais come up with some new gadgets that the rest of the world don't, they can't prevent folks from using e-cigs in toilets simply because the smoke detectors detect smoke (surprise!) and there is no smoke from e-cigarette.

A friend of mine set off a hotel smoke alarm with one.. I think some of the cheaper alarms work using light sensors, and can be triggered by vapour as well. Simple solution is blow the vapour down, it's quite possible to not blow plumes of vapour when using ecigs with the right technique (hold it in a bit longer and breathe out gently).

Personally I just use it in the seat discreetly, and minimise the vapour, never been questioned.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

My Thai experiece In the 4-months that I've been vaping, is that my home's become a graveyard of e-cig parts. I started with this,

20130313215953443.jpg

an EGO-CE5 twin pack. Bought it off a BiB for 1400 baht. The only unbroken piece that's still in operation is the battery charger. Both the battery packs are toast, including the two clearomizers, plus a further two clearomizers, which I purchased from an online Thai ecig site, are also screwed.

Next, from the same online e-cig site I purchased a single EGO-CE6, for a 1000 baht. The clearomizer lasted about a week, bought another one at a discounted price from the same online retailer, it also went for all of a week. However, now the battery pack is also stuffed. The online shop isn't answering my emails, so tomorrow I'm off to the 3/4th floors of MBK, to see what they have available, and hope to try to go with a new brand of vape machine.

I won't give up vaping, as it seems to be a grand alternative to contracting cancer from analogue ciggies.

To be fair, the online site, have always given a solid service with e-juice, at a 100 baht a pop, for 10mls of Dekang, with 100 baht motorcycle delivery charge, paid C.O.D.

Edited by somchaismith

My Thai experiece In the 4-months that I've been vaping, is that my home's become a graveyard of e-cig parts. I started with this,

an EGO-CE5 twin pack. Bought it off a BiB for 1400 baht. The only unbroken piece that's still in operation is the battery charger. Both the battery packs are toast, including the two clearomizers, plus a further two clearomizers, which I purchased from an online Thai ecig site, are also screwed.

Next, from the same online e-cig site I purchased a single EGO-CE6, for a 1000 baht. The clearomizer lasted about a week, bought another one at a discounted price from the same online retailer, it also went for all of a week. However, now the battery pack is also stuffed. The online shop isn't answering my emails, so tomorrow I'm off to the 3/4th floors of MBK, to see what they have available, and hope to try to go with a new brand of vape machine.

I won't give up vaping, as it seems to be a grand alternative to contracting cancer from analogue ciggies.

To be fair, the online site, have always given a solid service with e-juice, at a 100 baht a pop, for 10mls of Dekang, with 100 baht motorcycle delivery charge, paid C.O.D.

My experience has been the same over the last 10 months, but I've had exactly the same issues with original products sourced from the UK

I first had a knockoff set of Ego-C's from a seller in Krabi Tesco, both broke within a month. Next I got two Riva's ordered from the UK, both now failing to hold charge, they work for about an hour. When the first Riva started to fail I ordered 2 genuine Ego-T's, one of those works well still, I also ordered two Vision Spinners which were awesome, however I lost one and the second suddenly failed to charge with no warning signs :-( - my point is that they aren't built to last forever, I believe the batteries are the weak link, but on most of the vaporisers they aren't replaceable so the unit is stuffed when the battery fails. On average each one so far has lasted me around 2 - 3 months. Must have spent £150 over the last 10 months just on battery units.

Clearomisers are consumables so it's no surprise that they are breaking to me, apparently you can clean them a couple of times, but I budget for one a week when I order. You can get some that come in components, with the wick and atomiser replaceable separately from the tube - I find these pretty good, since the tube outlasts the wicks/atomiser by about 4x.

Chargers are also failure points..

Due to the above, I've just gone a bit big budget and ordered a Provari Mini, purely because you can replace the battery when it fails, so I'm hoping it's just a new battery every 3 months rather than a whole new unit. Hope so cos I'm sick of broken e-cig components, and the bog standard batteries are far cheaper than base units.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I agree on clearomizers needing regular replacement, I've was buying spares online from the guy in Bangkok.

I got an itaste 134 for about 3500 Baht, I also ordeed a couple of batteries and a charger along with a bunch of clearomisers and spare 'coils' to go inside them.

The itaste 134 is so much better than any of the EGO devices - I will never use a cheap EGO style ecigarette again. It's so good I bought a spare itaste 134 just in case my regular one ever stops working.

A Provari Mini, I'll keep that in mind.

Also, I don't know the standard price for a bottle of e-juice, but I have a mate who gets 20mls for 120 baht. I don't where it comes from, however I do believe it's only a matter of adding flavor to a nicotine mix, to come up with e-juice.

Edited by somchaismith

I agree on clearomizers needing regular replacement, I've was buying spares online from the guy in Bangkok.

I got an itaste 134 for about 3500 Baht, I also ordeed a couple of batteries and a charger along with a bunch of clearomisers and spare 'coils' to go inside them.

The itaste 134 is so much better than any of the EGO devices - I will never use a cheap EGO style ecigarette again. It's so good I bought a spare itaste 134 just in case my regular one ever stops working.

Funnily enough I was looking at one of those first, it has great reviews, but I ruled it out when a reviewer said it was almost a foot long when using the longest battery extension :) would be great for me for home but I fly regularly and don't think i could get away with my subtle vaping with that - would be worried about triggering an alert at the airport :D

Where did you get that please.

Thanks

Phil

Where did you get that please.

Thanks

Phil

I got it from 'Mickys shop' on the 'thai evape' website - but he's ran out of them now.

This is the reason why I bought the spare one - it's not so easy to get hold of these in Thailand - especially in Hua Hin. All they have are the cheaper ones.

It's pretty big - kind of looks like one of those light sabers out of Star Wars. I was using it in a local bar and it raised a few eyebrows.

When I used ecigs, I not counting a few cheap ones I tried from the start, I got the Lava Tube Mini, it's a variable voltage unit with replaceable battery, you can get dozens of those batteries with charger off eBay for a few bucks. I also tried lots of different attachments like cleromizers, cartomizers, tank systems, etc, was always coming back to a simple atomizer with a drip tip, they work the best and at least in my case, atomizers lasted for months...

Went to MBK yesterday and checked what's available in e-cigers. Found two vendors on the 3rd floor and two on the 4th. Each stall also sold knick knacks, such as lighters, knives, etc.

All the e-cigs which they had available were either ego-ce4,5, or 6s. Finished up with a ce5 twin pack for 1200 baht. Next time, I'll try out Yanawa.