Bangkok: Private trucks to tow law-violating vehicles to impound lots

webfact

This is going to be one huge mess that's full of corruption. In the USA the tow-truck business is often controlled by organized crime and manned my thugs .... and I'm afraid the Thais may well out do them.

This is going to be one huge mess that's full of corruption. In the USA the tow-truck business is often controlled by organized crime and manned my thugs .... and I'm afraid the Thais may well out do them.

Most countries outsource this type of thing so I don't see the problem. Lets not lose track of the objective here which is to move illegally parked vehicles which are causing congestion.

In some ways UK and US are more corrupt than Thailand its just at a higher level. (US medical insurance would be a prime example)

As for it being manned by thugs, you need someone slightly on the masculine side as this job will probably involve some confrontation. People don't like having their vehicles towed. Come to think of it, these people could actually be in danger.

Edited by Pui

"To prevent criminals from using the crackdown to steal cars, Adul said police would prioritise the use of police tow-trucks. When in need of backup, however, police would employ privately run tow-truck firms, who will be required to carry police-issued cards and whose trucks must bear state insignia and logos. Vehicle towing must be supervised by police in all cases, he added."

Ah now, that's just hilarious. Still at least how this new towing policy idea came about is clear. Should be a nice little earner for the private companies. I'm sure they'll demonstrate their gratitude somehow.

Big time corruption at $17 bucks a crack and less than $7 a day at the impound yard?

Even if they hired their wife, brother and nephew as tow truck drivers, towing offending vehicles is still a good idea.

The less wealthy will suffer the financial pains, the wealthier will suffer the time and inconvenience, and maybe some habits will change.

• Like 1

And who is going to tow illegally parked Benz S500s? Answer: Nobody, since by definition the owners of those vehicles answer to no laws.

You might be surprised.... things have been changing.... slowly yes... but change none the less...check below, most of the cars in that picture are allot more expensive then an S500

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/667720-phuket-police-stick-it-to-luxury-car-owners-video-report/

Impressive, but do you think the guys driving supercars actually have to pay the fines? At the most, they'll send their servants to pay the fine which is meaningless to their budget.

Towing the cars will add a whole new level of (much deserved) pain to the offenders blocking traffic. Then hopefully the OWNER of the car has to present ID matching the registration to get the car out of impound. That should put a dent in their busy schedules.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

No slower than a stationary parked car.

Good on them for trying to address the issue. Yes there may be corruption, but such is life.

That will just increase the traffic congestion, do you have any idea how big and slow a truck is??? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

No slower than a stationary parked car.

Good on them for trying to address the issue. Yes there may be corruption, but such is life.

That will just increase the traffic congestion, do you have any idea how big and slow a truck is??? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Unless of course you are the "innocent child" of an influential feudal political rich family of course...

A)Isn't anyone going to ask who chosed the two private companies.....ie why no fair bidding system.....are these companies linked to some politician or senior police staff? (Smells of corruption again)

B)What about the buses and vans that frequently berak down......should not they be penalised too especially the BMA Buses, they should be paying 10 fold......isnlt it stupid...tax payers that are funding the police and BMA are being penalised when their car breaks down....and no decent Thai is questioning this!

C) Its going to be a mess!

A) What makes you say that only two companies are being used? (Smells of speculation again)

B) Why do you think they will not be penalised? You won't find many cars with six or ten wheels.

C) As is your post.

So what is to stop a fake tow company from steeling your car?

Each car towed will have an order from a policeman that authorizes it. When the owner goes to retrieve their car, they can demand to see the original police authorization. What's to stop a tow truck from stealing your car now?

Edited by rametindallas

Good for the B I B....They should also have metal "boots"

and "boot" all the double parked vehicles and impound

them too....3000B to get your car back plus the cost

of the boot and tow....should solve the problem

I think the point of this is lost on you. Clamping vehicles with boots causes more congestion problems, the vehicles can't be moved. They have clamps already. Towing and clearing lanes is the solution to vehicles blocking traffic.

And who is going to tow illegally parked Benz S500s? Answer: Nobody, since by definition the owners of those vehicles answer to no laws.

You might be surprised.... things have been changing.... slowly yes... but change none the less...check below, most of the cars in that picture are allot more expensive then an S500

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/667720-phuket-police-stick-it-to-luxury-car-owners-video-report/

...and none of them were towed.

The Woman looks like Cruella de Ville the guy on the left looks to be short of a full deck and the bozo in the middle would be better off talking out of his a**e......................BUT looks can be deceptive??

I dont think Ill be sh**ing myself if im in a car in BKK with this lot at the helm..........................Captain Pugwash methinks ( English expats only)