Dying war hero's race against time to be brought home after Thailand motorbike crash

Rooo

Ex-soldier in coma after motorcycle crash in Thailand
trusted-contributor-png8.png
70.jpg

By atroughton

Thursday, October 17, 2013

FOLLOW

By Adrian Troughton

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Plea-cash-bring-home-brother-injured-Thai-crash/story-19941319-detail/story.html#ixzz2hy8a0pS2

Plus:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Support-The-British-Army/196389591941?ref=stream&hc_location=timeline

Plus

Dying war hero's race against time to be brought home after Thailand motorbike crash

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dying-war-heros-race-against-2460520#ixzz2hy8z9TqD
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

I dont understand why ANY money is required here - from anyone. Surly his accident / medical insurance will cover this (or at the very least his motorbike insurance ) Of course,they wont pay out if he shouldnt have been riding in the first place (drunk or no insurance). What are the FULL details of this latest accident , helmet /speed etc. Hope he gets better - and lets all be careful out there.

I dont understand why ANY money is required here - from anyone. Surly his accident / medical insurance will cover this (or at the very least his motorbike insurance ) Of course,they wont pay out if he shouldnt have been riding in the first place (drunk or no insurance). What are the FULL details of this latest accident , helmet /speed etc. Hope he gets better - and lets all be careful out there.

When will they learn.........no helmet ?

In a recent six hour period in the casualty dept of a Thai hospital, where i was waiting with a friend (no crash helmet) they brought in 4 Falang with serious head injuries all from no helmet crashes. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

And most forms of health insurance do not offer unlimited cover. Or do you think they'll keep paying his medical bills for the rest of his life if he just keeps paying his 60,000 baht per year premiums?

Who the hell are you to judge who should or should not be riding anywhere? What a stupid and insensitive comment, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Edited by pokerspiv

Any link to the accident details ? No - not so far . This would give the answers that people require , before they can then decide if they want to give any money towards the 5 million baht collection. I , along with other people , await details , whilst wishing the man well.

Dear pokerspiv , may i suggest you read my post again - carefully.I said the insurance wont pay out if ( KEY WORD --- IF )he shouldnt have been riding in the first place ,IE he was drunk or had no motorbike licence and/or motorbike insurance. Please read again. I did not say he / anyone shouldnt ride motorbikes.I love bikes. Everyone can ride a motorbike , but they should (by letter of the law and common decency)do it in a law abiding and safe manner. Hurting himself worse than need be if (IF)he couldnt be bothered to be sober / wear a helmet seems poor judgement and such a waste of other peoples time and money.It could have involved other people in this accident -including mine or your family ! With reference to PoorSucker (moderator) i have a policy - not expensive - that gives "re-patreation" to your home country , again , wont cover me if i was drunk etc. Far too many of this type of "please give me money" cases seem to be coming up.I will say again - accidents do happen , to anyone , so lets be careful , and double check you have very good insurance , and abide by the small print , RE legal situations.

IF- A little word with a big meaning. For example''IF'' your Aunt had boll**ks.she'd be your Uncle.Let's all hope he pulls through,one thing that upsets me deeply is to see any fellow biker involved in an accident.

Any link to the accident details ? No - not so far . This would give the answers that people require , before they can then decide if they want to give any money towards the 5 million baht collection. I , along with other people , await details , whilst wishing the man well.

You're a real piece of work.

• Like 1

As an ex Solider maybe SSAFA could get involved, the main contact sits in the British Embassy in Bangkok. Even the Regiment might be able to assist.

I think they are...have a read of the Leicester Mercury article in the OP...unless I miss read it

In a recent six hour period in the casualty dept of a Thai hospital, where i was waiting with a friend (no crash helmet) they brought in 4 Falang with serious head injuries all from no helmet crashes. rolleyes.gif

99% of the helmets in thailand wouldn't save you from a headache, and don't give me the old "better than nothing" argument, no they're not.

A number of years ago I was paralysed from the neck down (recovered fortunately) and the family wanted me back in the UK where they could be with me. I had pretty good medical insurance cover but still ended up a lot out of pocket. As I could be treated in Asia the insurance company had no oblication to medevac me to the UK and I had to pay. It cost around STG 8,000 but that was over 10 years ago and I did not need a medical team on the plane with me. My insurance had a deductable before it kicked in. There was also a cap on the amount they would pay although luckily I did not reach it. I also chose to go through some optional therapy which again I needed to pay for. Once I was in the UK everything was covered by the National Health. Especially in Thailand or the US you also get money making doctors and hospitals telling you you need or may recover better with lots of expensive tests and treatments which your tight fisted insurance company say are not essential and not covered. With likely limited knowledge and under a lot of stress it is not easy to work out which side is scamming you more.

In this guys case even with good insurance he is likely to have to pay some costs at this end and probably pay to be evacuated back to be with his family. In the UK the national health service will be providing treatment but considering the severity of his injuries there would probably be significant additional costs of 24 hour care, adapting a house etc. I doubt that the government would fund all of this to an adequate level.

As well as the accident this guy and his family will definitely be looking at some significant costs although obviously I cannot judge how much.

Best wishes to him and he definitely has the background to pull through if anyone can.

• Like 2

Thank You futsukayoi , your superb post was very informative. This is certainly a possible reason for requiring such a large amount of money. No-one has yet explained the full details of this accident (any insurance/motorbike licence /alcohol / speed )so i guess we will never know. Good luck to the guy.

And most forms of health insurance do not offer unlimited cover. Or do you think they'll keep paying his medical bills for the rest of his life if he just keeps paying his 60,000 baht per year premiums?

Who the hell are you to judge who should or should not be riding anywhere? What a stupid and insensitive comment, you should be ashamed of yourself.

i dont know if he was drunk and had no helmet it maybe just an assumption.

but i have seen many accidents where wear a helmet would not have made any diffferenct when a car had hit them head on whilst driving on the other side of the road. Plus allot of us do ride drunk and with no= helmets but that is no reason to want them to pay with their lives.

Anyway i am British and he has done more than his fare share of service for my country so personally i am happy to donate.

• Like 2

A number of years ago I was paralysed from the neck down (recovered fortunately) and the family wanted me back in the UK where they could be with me. I had pretty good medical insurance cover but still ended up a lot out of pocket. As I could be treated in Asia the insurance company had no oblication to medevac me to the UK and I had to pay. It cost around STG 8,000 but that was over 10 years ago and I did not need a medical team on the plane with me. My insurance had a deductable before it kicked in. There was also a cap on the amount they would pay although luckily I did not reach it. I also chose to go through some optional therapy which again I needed to pay for. Once I was in the UK everything was covered by the National Health. Especially in Thailand or the US you also get money making doctors and hospitals telling you you need or may recover better with lots of expensive tests and treatments which your tight fisted insurance company say are not essential and not covered. With likely limited knowledge and under a lot of stress it is not easy to work out which side is scamming you more.

In this guys case even with good insurance he is likely to have to pay some costs at this end and probably pay to be evacuated back to be with his family. In the UK the national health service will be providing treatment but considering the severity of his injuries there would probably be significant additional costs of 24 hour care, adapting a house etc. I doubt that the government would fund all of this to an adequate level.

As well as the accident this guy and his family will definitely be looking at some significant costs although obviously I cannot judge how much.

Best wishes to him and he definitely has the background to pull through if anyone can.

The Samui Times article states that he is living on Koh Samui with his girl friend and 3 year old daughter.

After living here for seemingly more than three years, will he qualify for National Health treatment once repatriated?

I would hope so, but have my doubts.

The Samui Times article states that he is living on Koh Samui with his girl friend and 3 year old daughter.

After living here for seemingly more than three years, will he qualify for National Health treatment once repatriated?

As said, he is my former neighbour.

He does not live here permanently, only part time when he's free from work.

Technically he wouldn't be entitled to nhs treatment if he is no longer resident after 3 months

• Like 1

Technically he wouldn't be entitled to nhs treatment if he is no longer resident after 3 months

I let it slip at my doctors and got the letter 2 days later saying i was no longer entitled to NHS treatment and records would be returned to PCT. Nice add on despite previous payments (32 years). how ever if you state you are returning to live back in the UK permanently can get treatment. Maybe on that basis he can get treatment.

I let it slip at my doctors and got the letter 2 days later saying i was no longer entitled to NHS treatment and records would be returned to PCT. Nice add on despite previous payments (32 years). how ever if you state you are returning to live back in the UK permanently can get treatment. Maybe on that basis he can get treatment.

great you pay your taxes for years then decide to take a long holiday and they give away your seat and replace it with an immigrant or assylem seeker. makes me sick.

this man has not onlyh paid tax but helped defend our not so great anymore briton now the government want to leave him out to dry. surely he should have an army pention also.

• Like 1

99% of the helmets in thailand wouldn't save you from a headache, and don't give me the old "better than nothing" argument, no they're not.

Says you from the ministry of " I know best" rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1