Visa "o" Supporting Thai Wife Extension

Dear all,

I've read this forum for a while and it was very helpfull so grateful thanks to you all :o .

Been married with a Thai lady, my aim is to settle in Thailand in 2-3 years from now. However I would like to start to apply for 1 year extensions now so that the waiting period to get residence permit is shortened.

I will soon come to Thailand but I can stay only for 3 weeks for this time. While there I will go with my wife and all the papers to Soi Suan Plu and apply for a one year extension. I will also need a multi-reentry permit because I need to go to Singapore during these 3 weeks.

1) Is it possible to apply for 1 year extension in the 1st 30 days of stay instead of the last 30? Some have reported to succeed, any advise?

2) Is it possible to get the extension on the same day or less than the 40 days stated in this forum?

3) If not possible can I send my passport by airmail to my wife so that she can pick up the extension on my behalf?

4) If 2) and 3) are not possible can I ask to come in October for pick up the extension?

5) In case of 3) or 4) applies, do I need a reentry permit for my trip to Singapore while I am on "under consideration" status or can I just make use of my multiple "O" visa? I'll get one anyway when the extension is granted.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge or assumptions.

1) Is it possible to apply for 1 year extension in the 1st 30 days of stay instead of the last 30? Some have reported to succeed, any advise?
up to the immigration officer, i'm not sure on this one...however your wife and all your paper work needs to be in order.
2) Is it possible to get the extension on the same day or less than the 40 days stated in this forum?

i don't think even a bottle of johnny walker black will get you this one, the norm is a 4 to 6 week "under review" extension to start with. some have received their second one year extensions in one day, but i have had three and always get the "under review" stamped in first.

3) If not possible can I send my passport by airmail to my wife so that she can pick up the extension on my behalf?
i would not recommend this at all, as you will be in singapore without a passport, illegal. what if your passport was lost in the mail. you would then have to go to your embassy in singapore and get a new passport, get a tourist visa or another non immigrant visa to return to thailand. then you would have to start your extension process all over again.
4) If 2) and 3) are not possible can I ask to come in October for pick up the extension?

no because your under review extension would have expired, setting you back to square one. thai immigration will have to give you an extension until october which is possible but highly unlikely.

5) In case of 3) or 4) applies, do I need a reentry permit for my trip to Singapore while.
you will need a re entry stamp if you leave and want to return during the first under review extension or you will be handed a toursit 30 day visa on arrival at the airport.
I am on "under consideration" status or can I just make use of my multiple "O" visa?

yes, you will be riding on your first extension and it's expiration date, no longer the visa multiple entry and it's date so you will need a re entry permit.

I'll get one anyway when the extension is granted
that can be done in about an hour or two at immigration after your one year extension is stamped. most people get that the same day to get it overwith, mulitple entry 3800 baht, single entry is less.
Been married with a Thai lady, my aim is to settle in Thailand in 2-3 years from now. However I would like to start to apply for 1 year extensions now so that the waiting period to get residence permit is shortened.

you may have to wait and use your current non immigrant visa until you can stay long enough in thailand to get your one year extension completed. if you apply after july you should be aware the one year extension based on a non immigrant O visa thai bank balance doubles from 200k to 400k

i would not recommend this at all, as you will be in singapore without a passport, illegal. what if your passport was lost in the mail. you would then have to go to your embassy in singapore and get a new passport, get a tourist visa or another non immigrant visa <and have paperwork sent to you> to return to thailand. then you would have to start your extension process all over again.

Wow huski, thanks a lot for your advice. Regarding the mail question, this won't happend while I am in Singapore but while I am back in my country. If my passport is lost on its way to Thailand I'll get a new one pretty quickly and my wife could brind copies of the lost one with the new one stating that it was lost. If it's lost on its way back then she could send me copies of the extension and next time that I come to Thailand I can inform immigration than my passport was lost and show copies of the extension. So assuming that I take this risk, have you ever heard of someone not picking up the extension in person? The only point would then be that I will have an exit stamp on my passport when they put the extension....

Another way would be to obtain a second passport and use it when going out an in Thailand between extension dates (one entry stamp will miss on that one but maybe I can go to the airport and get the missing stamp there instead of Soi Suan Plu.

Another way would be to obtain a second passport and use it when going out an in Thailand between extension dates (one entry stamp will miss on that one but maybe I can go to the airport and get the missing stamp there instead of Soi Suan Plu.

forget about doing that. you first need to report it stolen to the police and get a report, or wash it in a washing machine and ruin it. then you go to your embassy and wait for a new blank one to be made, it will most likely have to be sent from your home country. then you will HAVE to take it over to thai immigration to have your previous visa information entered into your new passport.

now your first passport is worthless and is voided out on the computer and your back to one passport having wasting time and money.

wait and do it right when you are settled down in thailand, that's what the one year extension is for.

To obtain an extension of stay while not in Thailand will not work out! The Immigration Bureau will need to see the current TM card in order to process a stamp. And you will noit have an activated TM card while not in the Kingdom. They will also check in the computer for arrival/departure details etc.

I do *not* recommend this!

Dear George and Huski,

Thanks a lot for your advises. It kept me out of troubles then :o . I will then come back to pick up the extension and negociate to have a fixed day after exactly 6 weeks to come to pick it up, as I will come just for 2-3 days. Hope that I can explain this to the officer.

See you in future posts.

I will then come back to pick up the extension and negociate to have a fixed day after exactly 6 weeks to come to pick it up, as I will come just for 2-3 days. Hope that I can explain this to the officer.

the first extension you will receive will be an "under review" extension. this visa will say for you to appear on xxx date. that is usually 4 to 6 weeks from your appointment if all goes well with your paperwork during the interview.

when you say "negotiate" you need to be cautious about what you say to the immigration officer as you are applying for a one year extension which means you are asking to be able to LIVE IN THAILAND on a temporary residency type status.

your final one year extension SHOULD be ready one week before the expiration date, so figure on those days. if you talk so much about travelling around to other countries they may frown slightly.

just figure on coming in a day or two before the expiration of the first extension without getting into too much details

There is nothing to say that you have to be in the country while your application is

"under consideration".

You will need a re-entry permit to allow you to re-enter under the current visa, NOT a new one!

Pop back to collect the extension once it has been processed.

Out of curiousity why do you want residency?

What benefits do you think it will give you? I have not been able to see any.

When I applied for my visa, my wife was interviewed, not me.

I just had to provide all the paper work and the money!!