Visa run for retirement visa?

Hi, I've been living in thailand for nearly a year so I went down to the nong khai immigration office to ask about getting an extension. While there a officer suggested to me that it might be easier if I got a re entry permit, left the country and upon my return my passport would be stamped for another full year. I found this information a little hard to believe so I pushed him on it and he reiterated that I would get another entire year on my o-a visa. Still I'm having doubts. Does anyone have any experience on this kind of thing? Is it possible? Thanks.

IF YOU HAVE A MULTIPLE ENTRY o-a VISA YOU WILL GET 1 YEAR PERMISSION TO STAY EVERY TIME YOU ENTER ON/BEFORE THE "MUST ENTER BY" DATE ON THE VISA. sS IF YOU LEAVE AND REENTER ON/BEFORE THE "MUST ENTER BY DATE" ON THE VISA YOU WILL GET ANOTHER YEAR. BUT, IS YOU WANT TO LEAVE/REENTER AFTER THE "MUST ENTER BY DATE" ON THE VISA (DURING THE LAST YEAR) YOU MUST PURCHASE A RE-ENTRY PERMIT TO KEEP YOUR CURRENT PERMISSION TO STAY VALID. COST IS 1000 BAHT FOR A SINGLE ENTRY, 3800 BAHT FOR A MULTIPLE. IF YOU LEAVE/REENTER BEFORE ETHE "MUST ENTER BY DATE" NO RE-ENTRY PERMIT IS REQUIRED

sO GO ON THE LAST DAY AND YOU WILL GET ANOTHER YEAR, EFFECTIVELY 2 YEARS FROM A 1 YEAR VISA.

Sorry for the caps, not yelling, just still sleepy and too lazy to redo!

• Like 1

IF YOU HAVE A MULTIPLE ENTRY o-a VISA YOU WILL GET 1 YEAR PERMISSION TO STAY EVERY TIME YOU ENTER ON/BEFORE THE "MUST ENTER BY" DATE ON THE VISA. sS IF YOU LEAVE AND REENTER ON/BEFORE THE "MUST ENTER BY DATE" ON THE VISA YOU WILL GET ANOTHER YEAR. BUT, IS YOU WANT TO LEAVE/REENTER AFTER THE "MUST ENTER BY DATE" ON THE VISA (DURING THE LAST YEAR) YOU MUST PURCHASE A RE-ENTRY PERMIT TO KEEP YOUR CURRENT PERMISSION TO STAY VALID. COST IS 1000 BAHT FOR A SINGLE ENTRY, 3800 BAHT FOR A MULTIPLE. IF YOU LEAVE/REENTER BEFORE ETHE "MUST ENTER BY DATE" NO RE-ENTRY PERMIT IS REQUIRED

sO GO ON THE LAST DAY AND YOU WILL GET ANOTHER YEAR, EFFECTIVELY 2 YEARS FROM A 1 YEAR VISA.

try this

http://convertcase.net/

Great! If you make a border run on or before 31 OCT you will get 1 year permission to stay. If you want to leave Thailand during that year you must purchase a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay alive. If you purchase a multiple - 3800 baht - each time you enter during that year you will get a new stamp that will give you permission to stay until the date on the original stamp issued when you entered on 31 Oct. Make sure that you always check the stamps before leaving immigration as they do make mistakes!

try this

http://convertcase.net/

Thanks, looked for something once but never found it. I

Thanks for info, greatly appreciated. Still not quite sure about the re entry permit, don't I have to have one before leaving the country?

not if u leave on or before oct 31
He would also need to re-enter on or before the 31st to get another one year entry.

After the 31st you will need a re-entry permit to keep your permitted to stay date valid if you want to travel.

I came here on a NON OA its just as posters have said..

Leave and re-enter Thailand before 31st October. You will be stamped in for another 12 months.

Then should you wish to leave during this second year you will require a re-entry permit to keep the stamp alive so to speak.

I came here on a NON OA its just as posters have said..

Leave and re-enter Thailand before 31st October. You will be stamped in for another 12 months.

Then should you wish to leave during this second year you will require a re-entry permit to keep the stamp alive so to speak.

If the visa is valid until 31 Oct 2013 then you are correct.

Thanks for info, greatly appreciated. Still not quite sure about the re entry permit, don't I have to have one before leaving the country?

not if u leave on or before oct 31

Correction. Not if you re-enter before Oct. 31st. You are good to go. The leave date is immaterial. What is important is when you come back.

• Like 2

The advice given you here is correct. Just make sure your re-enter before 31 October. Also, make sure to check the stamp when your process through immigration. One time, I was only given 90 days instead of 1 year. It took a bit of time to get it corrected but it was certainly worth the wait. Once you are back in Thailand and have an extension for one year, you need to get a re-entry permit every time you leave the country. It is more convenient to get a multiple re-entry permit if you plan on leaving Thailand to travel frequently. In addition, if you have an emergency that requires you to leave Thailand, having the multiple re-entry permit avoids the situation where you might 'void' your extension of stay by failing to get a re-entry permit when you leave. In such a situation, you would have to reapply for a new O-A Visa.

Edited by pookiki

We thought it was too good to be true too, but went up to Tatchilek in Burma on a one day visa run and were given a second year extension.  They only do it once.  We got a first year O visa in the US last October 2012.  Worked for us.  

You got a new one year entry not an extension.

There is no limit as to how many times your can do it as long as your visa is valid. A multiple entry visa of any type means that you can do as many entries as you want for a year.

First of all, thanks for all the feedback, it's been a godsend for me especially after dealing with the language barrier problems (and attitude) at the nong khai immigration office.

I understand now that I will get another year on my o-a visa if I leave thailand and then re enter before October 31 (and that's without acquiring a re entry permit). I've been lead to believe this is a one time deal, and since I'm expecting to stay for a few more years, I'm wondering if I can apply for a o-a extension after being in thailand for two years? The first year from my o-a visa and the second year from re entering the country (visa run). Is this a possibility?

I have the required 800k baht in a thai bank but will not have the required three months nesting period before my visa expires, so this why I'm searching for an alternative way to stay a few more years.

Again, thanks so much...

If you have a O visa you have to leave every 90 days since only allows a 90 day entry each time you enter. No need for 90 day reports at immigration.

A OA visa gives a year entry every time you enter for the year it is valid if it is a multiple entry visa. If staying more than 90 days then a report is needed every 90 days.

I'm finding this topic really useful. Thanks everyone!

I'm clear on the O-A visa so far: you can enter Thailand any time after the issue date, then leave and re-enter again before the 'enter before' date, getting a new one year entry from that re-entry date.

That's a great idea and (if I understand it correctly) means that, to make the most of this, you should arrange to enter Thailand as soon after the date of issue of your O-A visa and leave and re-enter again as near to the 'enter before' date as possible, thus getting nearly two years from your visa.

My query is this:

During the one-year validity of your O-A visa (12 months, starting from the last re-entry before the 'enter before' date??), do you get a new one year entry every time you leave and re-enter Thailand?

Therefore, could you do a visa run just before the visa's expiry and essentially get almost another year to stay? Now, that really would sound too good to be true!

biggrin.png

I'm finding this topic really useful. Thanks everyone!

I'm clear on the O-A visa so far: you can enter Thailand any time after the issue date, then leave and re-enter again before the 'enter before' date, getting a new one year entry from that re-entry date.

That's a great idea and (if I understand it correctly) means that, to make the most of this, you should arrange to enter Thailand as soon after the date of issue of your O-A visa and leave and re-enter again as near to the 'enter before' date as possible, thus getting nearly two years from your visa.

My query is this:

During the one-year validity of your O-A visa (12 months, starting from the last re-entry before the 'enter before' date??), do you get a new one year entry every time you leave and re-enter Thailand?

Therefore, could you do a visa run just before the visa's expiry and essentially get almost another year to stay? Now, that really would sound too good to be true!

biggrin.png alt=biggrin.png>

A one year O-A visa will allow multiple exits/entries to Thailand during the course of the visas validity.

If used correctly the visa will allow a second year in Thailand. If travel outside Thailand during this second year is desired a re-entry permit is required as the "visa" is now expired !

At the end of the second years "permission to stay " the passport holder leaves Thailand or applies for an "extension of stay" providing the conditions for an extension can be met.

Edited by thaiexpat21

Hi thaiexpat21,

Thanks for your reply.

Just to be completely clear, is the answer to my question, "could you do a visa run just before the visa's expiry and essentially get almost another year to stay?", yes or no?

Cheers