Elite Card

baboon

Not only is it still going but I finally met someone who sprung for it. The yearly fee has been dropped but is still being advertised on the web. Will be interesting to see how long this goes on and the comments here when its finally canned.

Perhaps a better deal for those looking for the visa, and have the extra money, would be the 3 million baht deposit option offered by Immigration for yearly extensions of stay. At least you still have the money in the bank earning interest.

Perhaps a better deal for those looking for the visa, and have the extra money, would be the 3 million baht deposit option offered by Immigration for yearly extensions of stay. At least you still have the money in the bank earning interest.

What's that one ? Haven't heard about that, but with the recent news about high(er) interests rates for fixed-term deposits, this sounds interesting.

Long stay visa and decent interest earnings ? Hmmmm..........

Application for extension of stay of persons investing a minimum of 3 million Baht in the Kingdom

Required Documents

Evidence of transfer of at least 3 million Baht from abroad into Thailand. The applicant must be either the sender abroad or the recipient in Thailand of the investment.

Evidence of investing the transferred money after the transfer is completed in one or several of the following cases:

Deposit the money in a fixed account of a state bank (Krung Thai Bank, Government Savings Bank, Bank for Agriculture and Cooperative, Ratanasin Bank, Srinakhorn Bank, Nakhornluang Thai Bank, Housing Bank)

Buy bonds issued by a state agency or government enterprise. The bonds must be purchased directly from a state agency or government enterprise or an authorised dealer.

Buy an apartment or condominium at the price set and registered by the Land Department.

Any kind of investment deemed beneficial to the country by the Immigration Bureau.

Conditions for permission

The foreign national must permanently possess the investment. If he wishes to change the kind of investment, he first has to ask for permission to change the kind of investment and may then change to a new permanent kind of investment.

Note

For more information, please call 0-2213-2556

Well I've been tempted to go for it, but Taksin's "sabbatical" has made me nervous. Whilst the 1m baht is no sweat, I'd be a wee bit miffed if I only got 6 months out of it before it was rescinded!

As far as the benefits of the program go, as I currently commute between HK and BKK on a weekly or fortnightly basis, the time saved at the airport going in and coming out, along with the car to take me home, is worth the baht in itself.

The 5 year visa is a nice perk, but hardly necessary for my weekends.

I will be moving to LOS in a year or so (when I'll be doing the commute almost in reverse), and the business contacts would be useful.

The question is...do I take the punt that the scheme will let me get at least a couple of years' use?

Would be interested to what the 3 or 4 Elite members on TV would suggest. PM if you'd prefer.

Well I've been tempted to go for it, but Taksin's "sabbatical" has made me nervous. Whilst the 1m baht is no sweat, I'd be a wee bit miffed if I only got 6 months out of it before it was rescinded!

As far as the benefits of the program go, as I currently commute between HK and BKK on a weekly or fortnightly basis, the time saved at the airport going in and coming out, along with the car to take me home, is worth the baht in itself.

The 5 year visa is a nice perk, but hardly necessary for my weekends.

I will be moving to LOS in a year or so (when I'll be doing the commute almost in reverse), and the business contacts would be useful.

The question is...do I take the punt that the scheme will let me get at least a couple of years' use?

Would be interested to what the 3 or 4 Elite members on TV would suggest. PM if you'd prefer.

I am a member and I have no problem in saying that I am very happy about it.

I already explained why in few posts in the past.

The main thing to remember is that it is a product aimed at those who don't "sweat" about the price, which is your case. It is not a good product for those who like to save money and love discounts. All offers are for the up-market businesses and customers.

The main advantages are the visa, which makes everything easy and speedy (believe me), including your arrivals and departures from the country.

A second interesting thing is access to key contacts in the country. As a caricatural example, I once wanted to pass from Maesai to Myanmar and back with 21 classic cars. I contacted them and they called me back the next day to say how we would do... This is the kind of thing very hard to solve if we don't have the right contacts. So, in business in can be very benefical too I guess...

The call center is very efficient and can help solve many types of additional things. It is very handy to know you have a phone number you can use to ask information, help, whatever... They listen, tell you they call you back in 10 minutes with answer or solution... and they do (not so usual in Thailand).

For frequent (Business or First Class) travelers the membership is nice too. You can take someone with you for free (exept the taxes).

If you make business meetings you have access to the meeting rooms of a (very nice) club in BKK.

Other little things are upgrades in hotels without asking (expensive hotels, of course).

Next to this, there are discounts here and there, free spa everywhere, free golf, Royal Orchid PLus gold membership, etc... but this is certainly not the reason anyone should consider the membership.

Now, ... will it last?

Everything is possible in this country. But I doubt that even a "leftist" politician would dare to simply cancel the sheme. If they cancel one day (which would make some people happy here) they would most probably keep the benefits for the past members. But, of course, who knows...

Meerkat, if you could accidently lose 1M baht, say by forgetting it in your suit coat pocket and sending it to the cleaners, its a good deal. The folks I know who purchased it love the immigrations service, appreciate the five year visa, and are impressed with the contacts afforded.

It is a bit surprising to me as that level of wealth usually flys in and out of the country on a regular basis, makes the five year visa sort of moot, and 1M baht will buy car and hire a full time driver for longer than the Elite card will probably last. That leaves the contacts. I would guess that someone who could drop 1M for an extension of stay and cab ride would already have access to the kind of contacts the Elite card could provide.

All I can say is that the folks I know who bought it really like it. So if you can burn it, all indications are that this is not a bad way to toss some money. I have seen people burn this much in under 10 minutes in vegas and only get a free drink. So in the end, its much better than a free drink.

The visa is not too bad, as long as you do not need a WP.

Yes, those who have the card are quite happy, starting from the procedures entereing and leaving th country.

The ticket, buy one, get one free, however, is not really such a bargain, albeit a big discount.

Let's say a fare is Baht 18000, but usually you get the ticket for 13K. If you wnt to companion, however, you buy one for 18K, means two tickets cost you 18K versus 26K.

Still cheap, but not free.

Thanks to both of you for your quick responses - given me something to mull over whilst I'm stuck in the office on a HK holiday...

Filled in the form asking them to get back to me. Interesting that you said earlier the annual fee has been dropped too.

As far as the car/driver thing goes, yeah we could get a driver (already got 2 cars there) but the convenience is the thing. Mostly though, it's getting whisked through the queues that appeals. As I rarely have any checked-in baggage it should be a breeze. What's the process like on the way back out - similarly smooth?

The companion ticket deals are not so important, unless I take another plunge and switch my (very happy) allegiance from Cathay to Thai (TG doesn't usually have First on the HKG-BKK-HKG flights that suit my schedule and I prefer CX to TG in Biz).

I am on the golf course a couple of times a month, but that's just a bonus, not considered a reason to join.

Sad that I get the impression so many other people on TV would be gleeful if it folded though!

Thanks again for your views.

Thanks to both of you for your quick responses - given me something to mull over whilst I'm stuck in the office on a HK holiday...

Filled in the form asking them to get back to me. Interesting that you said earlier the annual fee has been dropped too.

As far as the car/driver thing goes, yeah we could get a driver (already got 2 cars there) but the convenience is the thing. Mostly though, it's getting whisked through the queues that appeals. As I rarely have any checked-in baggage it should be a breeze. What's the process like on the way back out - similarly smooth?

The companion ticket deals are not so important, unless I take another plunge and switch my (very happy) allegiance from Cathay to Thai (TG doesn't usually have First on the HKG-BKK-HKG flights that suit my schedule and I prefer CX to TG in Biz).

I am on the golf course a couple of times a month, but that's just a bonus, not considered a reason to join.

Sad that I get the impression so many other people on TV would be gleeful if it folded though!

Thanks again for your views.

I would not worry too much about what others think - if you think it represents good value for your circumstances, go for it. I for one do not think the most valuable feature (to me at least) which is the 5 year visa would be dropped even if the programme is. To me the other benefits are academic in the same way that they are with a platinum credit card - you might use it once or twice but otherwise dont sweat about not using them.

Well, some of this crowd take great pleasure in the Thai READY FIRE AIM programs. I am sure they all could do better. Things like the Elite card, the new airport, the million buffalo program, etc. are all well intentioned but poorly planned and executed.

The airport process both ways is greased lightning for the Elite card holders, with or without baggage. If its worth a 1M pittance to bypass the cattle chutes, you are going to really like the card and find some additional benefits to boot.

The folks I know who bought the card recently all reported that the annual fee has been dropped. I would be interested to hear your confirmation of this. I know the program is financially a mess and losing huge money at a rate only a government could sustain. Its why in the long run I dont think the program is viable. I think it was set up as an independent entity some time back which is usually a first step in distancing fiscal responsibility. I would be interested in exactly what organization my 1M baht goes to and what guarantees they had for continued operation.

(xbusman Posted Today, 2006-05-01 12:28:02 )

I know the program is financially a mess and losing huge money at a rate only a government could sustain. Its why in the long run I dont think the program is viable. I think it was set up as an independent entity some time back which is usually a first step in distancing fiscal responsibility.

I don't know what the set up of the Elite card is but if as xbusman states the government distances itself from the ever increasing losses, will the 'members' be responsible in some way for the debt and therefore liable to legal action for 'their share' of it?

When I lived in UK the company I worked for had a 'social club' that all employees were members of from comencement of employment with the company. I never used any of the 'benefits' of the club but when it went 'skint' each member received a letter from solicitors claiming about 200 GBP as their share of the 'debt', could the same happen with Elite card.

On your way out the process is similar.

A driver comes to pick you up at your place and brings you to the terminal. Elite cars are allowed to park next to the doors, so no need to walk. Elite attendants pick you at the car and bring you to the check-in. One of them goes to pay your airport tax while you are checking-in. Then they accompany you through immigration. Fast track / no queue. The they bring you to the lounge.

When you book your transfer by email you give them the details of your flight, so no need to explain anything to the attendants, they already know. Everything smooth.

Concerning the flights, you might like it when you move to LA. Thai uses the new Airbus 340 fitted with the new Royal Silk class. No First on these flights, but it is a non-stop flight. Not bad. And since Thailand Elite gives you a Royal Orchid PLus gold card you won't be too annoyed to switch to Thai from Cathay.

... And since Thailand Elite gives you a Royal Orchid PLus gold card you won't be too annoyed to switch to Thai from Cathay.

Actually, I think you will be, and a plastic card isn't going to help. The two air carriers aren't even remotely in the same class. On the whole, Cathay is one of the world's best and most professional airlines. Thai is...well, a third world toy for local politicians that is unimpressive and unreliable.

And as for the Thai non-stop BKK-LAX, I tried it once and have gone back to using Cathay or Singapore. It's just not worth stepping back so far in class to save a couple of hours on a sixteen hour trip.

Concerning the flights, you might like it when you move to LA. Thai uses the new Airbus 340 fitted with the new Royal Silk class. No First on these flights, but it is a non-stop flight. Not bad. And since Thailand Elite gives you a Royal Orchid PLus gold card you won't be too annoyed to switch to Thai from Cathay.

Meant LOS as Land of Smiles...not LA! So still just a regional trek to HK (and probably only monthly).

... And since Thailand Elite gives you a Royal Orchid PLus gold card you won't be too annoyed to switch to Thai from Cathay.

Actually, I think you will be, and a plastic card isn't going to help. The two air carriers aren't even remotely in the same class. On the whole, Cathay is one of the world's best and most professional airlines. Thai is...well, a third world toy for local politicians that is unimpressive and unreliable.

Actually my experiences in TG J have been good - just not as good as CX. Not done TG F yet, but I admit they'd have a tough hill to climb to meet CX in that cabin.

I certainly wouldn't class TG as a third world toy.

I also wouldn't class CX as one of the world's best; I'd class it as the world's best.