SuperCheap: End of a local legacy?

webfact

SuperCheap: End of a local legacy?
THE NATION

30217404-01_big.jpg

PHUKET: -- After 18 years in Phuket, the main SuperCheap store and warehouse were gutted on Wednesday in the island's largest-ever fire.

Located on a 30-rai (4.8-hectare) plot once occupied by a factory, the main SuperCheap store - a legacy of the Anantajaroonwong family - had grown from being a rickety warehouse supported by wooden pillars and a corrugated-iron roof into a buzzing economic centre for local wholesalers and retailers, with a daily sales volume worth more than Bt10 million a day.

Boasting branches throughout Phuket that also attract customers from nearby provinces, SuperCheap's local business connections enabled it to offer various goods at highly discounted prices.

Under the helm of Boonsom Anantajaroonwong, the store sought no limelight, but managed to expand steadily - making it a competitor to be reckoned with across the region. There were 25 branches in Phuket alone.

The store, which offered no luxury goods, placed an emphasis on essential household commodities, thus enabling it to keep costs low. Only the cashier's area at the main store was air-conditioned, for example.

SuperCheap's other strong points included its smart choice to shift from being a trader to a goods producer - including investment in a rice-noodle plant and its takeover of a Phuket furniture factory.

Its decision to employ some 700 workers from neighbouring countries, particularly Myanmar, also served as a customer magnet, since foreign employees also encouraged Phuket's huge workforce of immigrant workers to buy the store's goods. It came as no surprise that Burmese was widely spoken in the store. Damages from the fire are estimated to be at least Bt500 million, a major blow for the convenience chain's local operators.

The next challenge for SuperCheap, which has grown particularly popular in the past five years, will be the logistical supply of its local branches, now that its main store is no more.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-18

As I read this I am inside with the air-con on because the smoke outside is still so heavy here in Rassada. All of the chemicals from the auto accessories section are toxic, yet rescue workers in many cases aren't even dust masks, let alone respirators.

The Public Health Office should be monitoring the air quality and keeping the public informed.

Also, on most consumer items SuperCheap wasn't much cheaper than many of its competitors, but the attraction was the incredible selection they offered.

I can't believe it all went up in flames and I am still ingesting some of it into my body right now.

Edited by phuketsub
  • Like 1

This article is utterly shameful.

Why are the authorities apparently so tight lipped on the number of casualties, and what is actually being done to establish this information?

Until the authorities disclose this information, I believe there is a coordinated attempt to bury this story.

At the very least, it shows the usual incompetence; at worst, is someone purposely trying to play down a possible catastrophe?

Now is not the time or place for this type of irresponsible journalism.

sent from my hippo phone

You have some evidence of this? Have you seen bodies being recovered? How are you so certain?

• Like 1

" had grown from being a rickety warehouse supported by wooden pillars and a corrugated-iron roof into a buzzing economic centre for local wholesalers and retailers, with a daily sales volume worth more than Bt10 million a day." My understanding is that it went from being a rickety warehouse, etc to being a rickety warehouse supported by wooden posts, etc. Seems criminal none of that "10 million a day" went into making the place less risky.....

apparently 400 people died because they locked the door to prevent looting.

Where does this gem of information come from ???????????

Some reputable links please

If there were that many people missing, in fact if there was only one their relatives would be there kicking and screaming to locate the body(ies)

Drove past there this morning and there was nil sign of any protests

Edited by Phuket Stan

2,800 Phuket SuperCheap staff left jobless after fire

PHUKET: -- Phuket Vice Governor Sommai Preechasilp has told media that the SuperCheap store, destroyed in a large fire on Wednesday evening (October 16), employed 2,736 people, 700 of them migrant workers.

The Bangkok Post reported that if they are laid off, the employer must pay them compensation. The workers can seek help from the provincial employment assistance centre.

The store on Thepkrassatri Rd in Phuket Town burnt down on Wednesday night around 9.40pm. No injured or dead have been officially confirmed yet. Forensics teams were due to enter the site yesterday (October 17).

Suthep Sukprasert, a 46-year-old parking supervisor at SuperCheap, said he lived next door to the complex in a rented house. Luckily, the fire did not spread to his home. He had worked at SuperCheap for 12 years and the fire started after he returned home.

“I’ve grown attached to the SuperCheap store. I want to continue working here if it is restored,” he said.

He said he worried a lot about losing his job.

“I am waiting for the store owner to tell us about his plans. I am sorry for all the workers who have to go though this uncertainty because all have burdens and do not know what to do with their lives,” Mr Suthep said.

The Department of Insurance reported the SuperCheap store was insured with two companies and its combined insurance coverage amounts to 620 million baht. Authorities initially estimate damage from the fire at about 40 million baht.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-18

Investigators find no bodies in charred ruins of SuperCheap, yet
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Investigators searching the scorched remains of SuperCheap discovered no bodies yesterday but called for boots and rakes as they recommenced their search this morning.

“I have already requested the equipment from the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (OrBorJor),” Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut told the press today.

Amid concerns that the debris and smoke may pose an environmental hazard, officials from the Natural Resources and Environment Office will be on site today to conduct tests, he added.

Governor Maitri noted that the fire area will be sealed off for 45 days or until investigators from the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) finish their investigation.

Meanwhile, SuperCheap began selling fresh vegetables at their nearby warehouse, located on Prachasamakee Road near the power plant in Koh Kaew, and at other branches of their store.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Investigators-find-no-bodies-in-charred-ruins-of-SuperCheap-yet-22531.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-10-18

If there were that many people missing, in fact if there was only one their relatives would be there kicking and screaming to locate the body(ies)

that is the word on the street. Most were burmese.

Please stop spreading baseless rumours.

• Like 1

ask any thai in phuket and they will tell you the same but you believe what you want

" had grown from being a rickety warehouse supported by wooden pillars and a corrugated-iron roof into a buzzing economic centre for local wholesalers and retailers, with a daily sales volume worth more than Bt10 million a day." My understanding is that it went from being a rickety warehouse, etc to being a rickety warehouse supported by wooden posts, etc. Seems criminal none of that "10 million a day" went into making the place less risky.....

Hey now, let's be fair. over the years , they did add miles of bare electrical wiring to hold it all together ..

Have visited this store on several occasions during visits to see friends and each single time we commented on the fact that it was a tinderbox and a possible death trap in the case of fire. What should be done is that the City Engineers should be taken to task for providing a permit to operate such a building devoid of functional fire escapes or fire protection systems. Anyone with even a basic understanding of building codes and fire prevention regulations would know that this was an accident just waiting to happen. It was a death trap.

Those responsible for permitting this building should be dismissed and prosecuted...... but we all know that nothing will happen. Another total disgrace such as Tiger Disco.

Just did, but did not hear what you're saying.

But nevermind, if you think there is any truth in what you're hearing, keep on believing. The world would be boring if we were all reasonable and thinking people, people like you light it up.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm unfamiliar with mafia tactics, but don't some companies have accidents like this in order to collect from insurance? Is it possible a new Supercheap which will be built at this location, as prices go up for consumers as well to "cover" the costs of damage, ostensibly of course. Or will the owners sell out to another resort chain and have another hotel or resort built at this spot? I just want to know where the very wonderful pharmacy products can be bought if supplies are going to be diverted to other Supercheap stores in Phuket. It's not really silly also to care about the fish and animals who had made their homes in the large warehouse who got burned alive as casualties. I always loved watching birds fly around in the Supercheap warehouse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Do-not-feed-the-troll-03.jpg