Crack in the wall / 32nd floor / very bad sign?

High rise buildings are not rigid. They move with the wind. Given that they are sucurely fastened in the ground -then most of the movement will be at the top.

Blocks are used to fill the spaces between the columns and the horizontal slabs (i.e the floors). These blocks are then covered with a concrete skim.

The blocks and skim do not enhance the strucural integrity of the building.

The crack ,in question,is in the concrete skim and presumably the blocks behind have also cracked.

To my mind it is just a cosmetic problem -requiring a cosmetic solution

so why have the blocks and skim cracked?

Because the top of building has moved away from the vertical.

Um........of course the building will have high quality rebar, it will have been properly positioned and tied, and the construction concrete used will be of the best possible standards and poured according to best practice, and the design will meet high quality design and engineering standards.blink.png

Forget about the cost and who is liable.....vacate until it's been checked by a certified engineer. You can bet that's not the only crack. And if it's the only one currently visible, more will be appearing soon. The forces of nature are working from the ground up, so imagine some of the stress on the building lower down.

I see a quake hit Isaan a few weeks ago. Wouldn't like to be in that building if one hit closer to you. Buildings fall over in countries with high building standards, you can imagine what will happen in Bangkok.

It'd have to be renamed Flatkok.

Yes, Flatkok after the big Bang

• Like 1

High rise buildings are not rigid. They move with the wind. Given that they are sucurely fastened in the ground -then most of the movement will be at the top.

Blocks are used to fill the spaces between the columns and the horizontal slabs (i.e the floors). These blocks are then covered with a concrete skim.

The crack ,in question,is in the concrete skim and presumably the blocks behind have also cracked.

so NOT cosmetic then?

Thats not a crack it for water drainage and or ventilation................(Thai engineer 50 years in the business) pass.....next condo photo pls cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Well at least your on the top floor so the rest of the floors won't be falling on you.

Time to get an expert to make an assessment.

Do you own or rent?

+ they will be the last to die when it collapsesthumbsup.gif

• Like 2

so NOT cosmetic then?

Sorry . When I said the building has moved away from the vertical I should have added that it then moved back to the vertical. The simple word that I should have used is sway.Wind will cause the building to sway. This is normal.The visible crack referred to by the O.P. is probably a function of imperfections when the blocking stage was carried out during constrction.

Sorry to disagree. The cracks (not just one) are diagonal and over a metre long, and right to the underside of a beam.

These cracks suggest there was/is rotational force twisting that beam, either from the roof slab above it, or from some cantilever force suspended from the overhanging beams outside.

maybe one more pic from all the building.

the biggest window on the top is the one which can be seen from inside in the very first pic in the first post of mine...

518crack_7178.jpg

There are concrete beams projected over the curtainwall windows on both sides of the facade which you are in. They too are for suspending gondolas for window cleaning.

Sorry to disagree. The cracks (not just one) are diagonal and over a metre long, and right to the underside of a beam.

These cracks suggest there was/is rotational force twisting that beam, either from the roof slab above it, or from some cantilever force suspended from the overhanging beams outside.

All that is known for certain is that high rise buildings sway.

The only power available to cause this sway is a consequence of differential air pressure. (high pressure on one side of the building -low pressure on the opposite side).

There is no other power source available that will cause the building to move and then return to normal when this power source is removed.

The 45o crack on the wall starting at centre of the beam, and wider at the top, suggest shearing force on the wall.

The external horizontal crack suggest structural movement is hinged on the floor of this crack, that is, the roof structure is moving outwards relative to the hinged point.

What would cause such a structural movement, esp in an old building? Check the roof to see if there is any new heavy load(s) being introduced there. Was some some heavy gondola suspended from the outside structure, for window cleaning for instance? It is not an architectural decoration, but for cleaning the windows of that facade.

Maybe could be used for cleaning that facade too whistling.gif

they never cleaned anything over here. and there is no extra load on this part of the roof which could have caused the cracks. There's nothing prepared for any kind of gondola or a similar tool to do any kind of service work.

The best thing is: today we have seen the last two reports done by external engineering companies. They have to check the building once a year and testify if it is safe to live here.

And guess what? Not a single hint to any kind of problems in the buildings structure. Absolutely nothing. These engineers are absolutely blind.

they never cleaned anything over here. and there is no extra load on this part of the roof which could have caused the cracks. There's nothing prepared for any kind of gondola or a similar tool to do any kind of service work.

The best thing is: today we have seen the last two reports done by external engineering companies. They have to check the building once a year and testify if it is safe to live here.

And guess what? Not a single hint to any kind of problems in the buildings structure. Absolutely nothing. These engineers are absolutely blind.

The external engineering companies probably just signed on the dotted lines that all is ok as they have not received any complains of cracks from unit owners. They would not have been able to get access into individual units to do any inspections.

Also, check with other unit owners on the top floor to see if they too have similar problems with cracks. If the cause is building swaying under wind loads, other units would have been similarly affected.

Is there a roof garden above you? Accumulation of soil and poor drainage would increase the imposed load on the roof slab beyond what the designed had allowed.

Edited by trogers

it seems I didn't explain properly where the crack is actually located. It is not in our unit. The crack is in a public area, the internal staircase. When I have seen it first I didn't pay attention, but as it seems that nothing was done (how can I be surprised as this is Thailand) I thought it's time to check into this.

So there cannot be any excuse for any engineer. I guess they just didn't walk the staircase up and down, instead they took the elevator.

I would put the blame on communications between the full time staff employed to maintain the building, ie. building manager, cleaners, tradesmen, etc. and the management committee.

I bought 2 condo units in a condo that is more than 35 years old and it is the full time staff who keeps the committee informed of cracks and repairs need in common areas. Unit owners would report on cracks and leakages in their internal areas. The committee would employ outside contractors to carry out repairs.

And there is no roof garden or anything where water can accumulate. The roof floor is flat but it has a pitched roof on top.

The pitched roof is for solar insulation. Is that large tree sticking out of the roof growing in a pot?