Crack in the wall / 32nd floor / very bad sign?

Possibly, but can you explain what the size and purpose of the external concrete structure is, that can be seen through the window?

I ask because it appears that the weight of that external structure is pulling away from the internal horizontal concrete beam at the top of the photo. Is that structure cantilevered?

I am assuming that the top of the picture is a ceiling. If you look closely at the crack it is wider at the top which obviously indicates that the most movement has been at the top, hence my comments above.

That would mean that the beam that is shown in the window is just some architectural decoration. If it was a real beam it would continue into the structure and that crack would be impossible.

With time it will probably break of completely.

Time to move.

Thank you both Riley and Khun Jean for your input.

Actually the beam that is shown in the window is just some architectural decoration.

And yes, the crack is wider at the top.

The situation from outside is like that:

550crack_6374.jpg

From outside there can be clearly seen another crack going from the left to the right hand side, a few meters below the big window.

Here in higher resolution:

http://www.allsiam.net/imagehostallsiam/images/325bangkok_6374.jpg

Edited by zappalot

It would definitely seem to be something the committee would be responsible for in more ways than one. If that came down and injured someone the condo could get a huge liability, I would be worried about your safety there too. I think you need a good third party injury policy too.

Hope they fix it. It definitely looks like they have to..

That is how most of the fancy looking condo's being build now will look like in 10-20 years.

Those "architectural decorations" are very often detrimental to the buildings structure as on many water will pool and starts its destructive corrosion.

Often they are 90 degrees and will not allow water to flow of it.

It is one of those building mistakes that can be seen easily, and i often skipped renting or buying a condo that has those features.

yes it gives reason to be concerned... If you rent, run if you bought, count your loss but it looks pretty unsave to me, for sure it will hold for a bit more but if you have kids around there it is no good place for anyone to stay in it seems

The good thing is as it is externally caused it is a condo committee problem. The bad thing is it could be dangerous to you. If you own get the committee on to it (in writing and in a confirmed way.) If you rent get out...you should be able to cancel a lease for this.

I'd say you have a cause for concern. It looks like the decorative piece is either pushing up against the circular balcony piece to the left of it or vice versa! Look at where the balcony and the decorative piece meet. Is that some kind of breakage on the balcony?

Sent from my A1-810 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The 45o crack on the wall starting at centre of the beam, and wider at the top, suggest shearing force on the wall.

The external horizontal crack suggest structural movement is hinged on the floor of this crack, that is, the roof structure is moving outwards relative to the hinged point.

What would cause such a structural movement, esp in an old building? Check the roof to see if there is any new heavy load(s) being introduced there. Was some some heavy gondola suspended from the outside structure, for window cleaning for instance? It is not an architectural decoration, but for cleaning the windows of that facade.

• Like 1

thank you very much for everyone's input.

We already issued letters to both, the management as well as the committee.

We set a deadline to respond back to us. if they don't respond on time we will walk into the main management branch.

We also already found out an engineers company who can look into this issue, price will be around 6000 baht.

Edited by zappalot

As I suspected the newly posted photos show the projecting concrete to be a cantilever design. It is not connected directly to the balcony on either the left or the right. A bad idea at such a height and with exposure to weather, building movement, and typical Thai lack of maintenance the indications are that the unsupported cantilever is the root cause of the crack. The cantilevered section having moved down and outwards,

In my opinion it has no purpose other than acting as a shade for the high windows immediately below it. If it was designed to hold a cleaning gantry, the gantry and more importantly the necessary gantry fixings are nowhere to be seen.

It's unlikely that a shear force has been exerted on the internal beams or wall (shown on the original photo) of sufficient force to create the cracking illustrated as an inward movement - although such high buildings do move laterally on high floors- so it can only be confirmed by detailed internal inspection. More likely the cantilever has pulled down and outwards. It will be necessary to inspect the uppermost surface of the cantilever externally as well as the roof. Glass ties should be placed across the cracking internally to determine if the crack is still active. All rooms below should be accessed and inspected for further cracks particularly in view of the lower horizontal cracking.

The horizontal crack on the beam, a few stories below, is also a major problem and it must be determined whether or not it has resulted in rusting of the rebar - which would be my guess that it has, severely. The two defects may or may not be linked. However, this too will be obvious to any experienced engineer on inspection as further cracks and displacement would be present if the horizontal crack is the fulcrum point.

All in all, this must be considered to be a major liability, and, if left unattended will become more so. It may be necessary to have the cantilevered concrete section removed and substantial remedial work carried out to ensure structural integrity.

Looking at the close-up photo it appears that some concrete has already spalled off the exterior of the white wall on the right at the very top, which has perhaps occurred because of the use of the roof for planting. ... I notice a tree.

Good luck with it. Rather you than me !!!!!! It's going to cost!!!!

• Like 1

That would mean that the beam that is shown in the window is just some architectural decoration. If it was a real beam it would continue into the structure and that crack would be impossible.

With time it will probably break of completely.

Time to move.

Looks like the usual attention to maintenance has happened for this building, I often wonder if there is a word in the Thai language "Maintenance" I see so many potentially fine looking building looking so shabby is there no pride in ownership? with labour so cheap here the place should sparkle

I would first check if they add added extra weight on the roof. Extra water tanks, bigger air conditioner units, etc. The structure might not be able to support the extra weight if they did and eventually could cause a real problem.

OP avoided a question asked a number of times: Are you renting or own the place? If renting - get out. If owing, you can either hope it get fixed (being in Thailand I doubt it will happen any time soon), or you can patch up the crack, repaint the room and sell it. Since you already let the management know, see if that works, if not - go to plan B: patch it up and sell.

How long has the crack been there?

Um........of course the building will have high quality rebar, it will have been properly positioned and tied, and the construction concrete used will be of the best possible standards and poured according to best practice, and the design will meet high quality design and engineering standards.blink.png

Forget about the cost and who is liable.....vacate until it's been checked by a certified engineer. You can bet that's not the only crack. And if it's the only one currently visible, more will be appearing soon. The forces of nature are working from the ground up, so imagine some of the stress on the building lower down.

I see a quake hit Isaan a few weeks ago. Wouldn't like to be in that building if one hit closer to you. Buildings fall over in countries with high building standards, you can imagine what will happen in Bangkok.

It'd have to be renamed Flatkok.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

High rise buildings are not rigid. They move with the wind. Given that they are sucurely fastened in the ground -then most of the movement will be at the top.

Blocks are used to fill the spaces between the columns and the horizontal slabs (i.e the floors). These blocks are then covered with a concrete skim.

The blocks and skim do not enhance the strucural integrity of the building.

The crack ,in question,is in the concrete skim and presumably the blocks behind have also cracked.

To my mind it is just a cosmetic problem -requiring a cosmetic solution

• Like 1

Yes, my girlfriend owns a condo here.

It seems that each building like that has to let be done a check once a year by a buildings engineer's office.

So we changed our plan a little bit and first try to get a copy of last year's check.

Then we decide how to continue.

Again thank you everyone for your input, really appreciate it.

High rise buildings are not rigid. They move with the wind. Given that they are sucurely fastened in the ground -then most of the movement will be at the top.

Blocks are used to fill the spaces between the columns and the horizontal slabs (i.e the floors). These blocks are then covered with a concrete skim.

The blocks and skim do not enhance the strucural integrity of the building.

The crack ,in question,is in the concrete skim and presumably the blocks behind have also cracked.

To my mind it is just a cosmetic problem -requiring a cosmetic solution

so why have the blocks and skim cracked?

The further away the photo's get the nicer the building looks. I would employ the same strategy with my feet.

Yeah, I'd say once you get to 20-30kms away it would start to look ok.

Forgot a zero 200 - 300 is better!

Did that crack just develop? Or was it there?

To me, this is a hell of a lot less risky than say like walking on some boulders exposed to the ocean waves. One could have shifted and you may eat some huge shit, but such is life I guess, aint going to stop me from walking on them. Io would just live there, you'll be fine. Ask for a discount, if own paint it and sell later as mentioned.