The Olympus OM-D E-M1

Just picked up the FL-600R flash and looking forward to seeing how well the TTL functions work with the E-M1.

Looks quite nice, something I haven't gotten yet. Did you get it in Thailand and, if you don't mind, the price?

Picked it up at PhotoBug. 9,900 baht.

David

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tucked away amongst the many features of the E-M1 (and the E-M5) is Live Time and Live Bulb). These allow you to take a long exposure shot and watch the shot develop on the screen as you take it. Very useful if you are not sure of the correct length of exposure; just watch the screen and then close the shutter when the exposure is to your liking. You have to set the time interval between updates, and it only supports so many updates based on ISO; so some fiddling may be required; but it makes shots like this one (nine seconds using a ten shot ND filter) a breeze:

9319189729_6a8336b245_b.jpg
P7190128 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Kirk Tuck considers the E-M1 as camera of the year, with some interesting comparisons with the Sony A7: http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-vsl-five-star-award-of-year-goes-to.html

Yeah, it appears to be a hit with quite a few pros.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/best_new_camera_of_2013.shtml#update

Kirk Tuck considers the E-M1 as camera of the year, with some interesting comparisons with the Sony A7: http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-vsl-five-star-award-of-year-goes-to.html

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/best_new_camera_of_2013.shtml#update

It's small too and the lenses are small so you can carry it.

If my interest was NOT landscape photography, I would be tempted to look at Oly although I would wait until their eventual release of a FF model. However, since I am primarily interested in landscapes, I feel that my Canon fits the bill quite well. I feel fortunate to be happy with my current equipment and not to be burdened with 'equipment envy'. I am not saying that there aren't some accessories that I don't covet (like the tripod/head combo I shared a while back) but as far as camera and lenses go, I feel set for the foreseeable future.

If my interest was NOT landscape photography, I would be tempted to look at Oly although I would wait until their eventual release of a FF model. However, since I am primarily interested in landscapes, I feel that my Canon fits the bill quite well. I feel fortunate to be happy with my current equipment and not to be burdened with 'equipment envy'. I am not saying that there aren't some accessories that I don't covet (like the tripod/head combo I shared a while back) but as far as camera and lenses go, I feel set for the foreseeable future.

That's because you've already got the best of full frame gear. But the best camera is the one you have with you.

A 5DMkIII with that glass is a vast thing. You need to reverse park it and do three point turns to cross the street. A winch is required for lifting it from its case.

Treat yourself to a street shooters classic.

xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.HP_JpdOU4y.webp

Hummmmm ! Interesting article although an ancient philosopher once said, "Opinions are like A@#holes, everyone has one".

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2014/01/olympus-disappearing.html

Just pick yourself up a used Sony RX100 for streeties, dirt cheap. Way better than this Olympus stuff, be bust soon anyway.

[Lays bait for Rabbit and Tywais - hides in bush]

Just pick yourself up a used Sony RX100 for streeties, dirt cheap. Way better than this Olympus stuff, be bust soon anyway.

Ok, I just read your first sentence and didn't see the 2nd one so went off in a huff to look up cross comparisons between the two. 40 minutes later I'm back and saw your 2nd comment. biggrin.png

Well, not all that time was making comparisons. One bad thing about searching for info like this you end up finding interesting, unrelated articles and spend a lot more time than intended. For example, looking for the above information found an interesting blog on 'should I get rid of my MKIII when I get my EM-1?' and a subsequent blog from the same author updating his experience between the two after he got the EM-1.

Quite an enlightening read actually when you think about actually making a comparison of the big guns against the EM-1. Of course the MKIII and even more so the 800e are the better systems for specific purposes. Some comments from members with decades of experience is that you print a 13"x19" photo and at normal viewing distances you will see no differences between the two cameras. I admit, I've become a pixel peeper and need to stop it as it is just frustrating me.

And yes, you got me. wink.png

Ok, I just read your first sentence and didn't see the 2nd one so went off in a huff to look up cross comparisons between the two. 40 minutes later I'm back and saw your 2nd comment. biggrin.png

Well, not all that time was making comparisons. One bad thing about searching for info like this you end up finding interesting, unrelated articles and spend a lot more time than intended. For example, looking for the above information found an interesting blog on 'should I get rid of my MKIII when I get my EM-1?' and a subsequent blog from the same author updating his experience between the two after he got the EM-1.

Quite an enlightening read actually when you think about actually making a comparison of the big guns against the EM-1. Of course the MKIII and even more so the 800e are the better systems for specific purposes. Some comments from members with decades of experience is that you print a 13"x19" photo and at normal viewing distances you will see no differences between the two cameras. I admit, I've become a pixel peeper and need to stop it as it is just frustrating me.

And yes, you got me. wink.png

Forty minutes!!!! cheesy.gif

Is the RX100 any good because I just recommended the Mk II to one of my MD's in Blighty? Only today actually.

Pixel peeping and LBA must be conquered! You will do your own head in zooming in and out and wondering if, what.

The RX100 is a great camera, but now the Panasonic GM1 is on the scene, I think it has been bounced from the top of the heap. The GM1 has a bigger sensor and has the advantage of interchangeable lenses. Have been playing with my wife's GM1 today and quite impressed. This was taken into the sun and is a JPEG straight out of the camera:

11750781876_c0d80b71c6_o.jpg
P1000060 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

Most amazing thing, 1/16,000th second! Completely silent electronic shutter.

Oh, and Olympus are forecast to back into profit this year.

^^ Has the old woman actually got to use the GM1 yet? Or is becoming Rabbit's 'back-up' camera?

She hasn't had a chance to use it yet because she is working. Meanwhile I am "setting it up", "trying it out", "learning it so I can explain it to you".

cheesy.gif

Love is . . . a new Lumix GM1 wub.png

One of the few remaining advantages of a DSLR is the ability to utilise the separate PDAF focus mechanism to track moving objects. If you want to do sports photography, get a DSLR; has been the standard advice.

Now that some mirrorless cameras have PDAF arrays built into the sensor, they also offer the opportunity to capture action. My experience of the E-M1 is that it is nowhere near as good as my old Canon 1D4; but unlike previous M43 cameras I have owned, you can take it to a sporting event and come away with some very acceptable shots. Here is one I took today at a polo match:

11774216594_bf047233eb_o.jpg
S1052100 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

That's an excellent action shot FR. Was that with a non-micro 4/3 so that the phase detect was used? I understand the EM-1 can do phase detect with standard micro 4/3 lenses as it operates hybrid with them but never knew which conditions the phase detect kicks in and the contrast focusing starts.

It has phase detect and contrast detect. My understanding is that it will use phase detect if you attach a four thirds lens. With a micro four thirds lens (as used here), it will use contrast detect for Static Auto Focus, and then switch to phase detect if you select Continuous Auto Focus, as I used here. I got a number of very acceptable shots this afternoon. many more than I expected; I suppose horses are nice big targets!

I think Michael Reichmann sums up the state of cameras in generals very well where he says

Image quality hasn't been mentioned because there isn't much new to say. It's extremely good. Most cameras these days produce image quality far superior to what most photographers are able to realize. I've written it before, and I believe it to be true. Sure, the pixel peepers can recite DxO ratings and cite the half-an-IE high-ISO advantages of one camera over another. But this is mostly the stuff of hobbyist mania. For me, and many other photographers, content is king and usability is its mistress. Just about any contemporary camera used competently can produce excellent images, and the E-M1 as good as if not better than most.

How many of us print images larger than 16" x 20" on a regular basis? Other than working professionals, how many of us actually print images at all anymore? Our capture devices, whether they be camera phones, point and shoots, or FF-fast glass monsters, already outstrip the ability of our output devices.

And content truly is king. Look back at some of the iconic images in photographic history. With the exception of studio shots like those of Yousuf Karsh or the images those like of Ansel Adams, what we think of today as image quality was not the prime mover. Look at the images of war photographers such as Robert Capa (http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1648361_1419267,00.html) or the images of Henri Cartier-Bresson (http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1983868,00.html). Without the saving grace of great content of most of them, they would fail for a myriad of technical issues, i.e. focus, grain, etc., and yet we hold them out to be outstanding images. When it comes to the preoccupation with technical issues, I think Ansel Adams summed it up best when he said “There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” – Ansel Adams

David

• 2 weeks later...

Some great photos using the EM-1 by a Pulitzer-Prize winner and National Geographic Photographer, Jay. Wow!

Firstlight Workshop

Thanks for the link Tywais. The images he shot confirm my best hopes for the E-M1. If it is good enough for someone that makes their living shooting - and for NG, no less - it is more than good enough for me. And, as he noted it in the blog, it is light and a delight to carry around. I have mine on a Black Rapid strap and it goes just about everywhere with me. The M.Zuiko 12-40 f/2.8 is such a great lens to use with it. I have a feeling my D800 and all the Nikon glass I have may be destined for the classified ads.

David

Some great photos using the EM-1 by a Pulitzer-Prize winner and National Geographic Photographer, Jay. Wow!

Firstlight Workshop

The E-M1 and the 12-40mm are such a delightful combination. The system does need a very high quality M43 longer zoom; hopefully the 40-150mm F2.8 coming this year from Olympus will do the job.

Firstlight Workshop

The E-M1 and the 12-40mm are such a delightful combination. The system does need a very high quality M43 longer zoom; hopefully the 40-150mm F2.8 coming this year from Olympus will do the job.

I hope it turns out to be as good as the 12-40. With those two and a 9-18, traveling would be a delight. All that together with some extra batteries, SD cards, lens pen, and polarizer would fit in the space my D800 and a 70-200 f/2.8 occupy. Definitely easy to carry on for those few times when I actually have to fly somewhere.

David

Plus the 75mm. It's just so good I could not live without it.

The 75 is a bit longer than I want for portrait work which is what I would mainly be using it for, and that focal length will be covered by the new 40-150 2.8. What I am looking at for doing portrait shooting is the Voigtlander 42.5 f/0.95. It is getting great reviews for both sharpness and bokeh. From the images I have seen, it will make a killer portrait lens to replace the Nikon 85 f/1.4 I have for my D800. It is a manual focus lens but I am good shooting with one especially with the focus peaking on the E-M1.

David

Archived