The Olympus OM-D E-M1

Plus the 75mm. It's just so good I could not live without it.

The 75 is a bit longer than I want for portrait work which is what I would mainly be using it for, and that focal length will be covered by the new 40-150 2.8. What I am looking at for doing portrait shooting is the Voigtlander 42.5 f/0.95. It is getting great reviews for both sharpness and bokeh. From the images I have seen, it will make a killer portrait lens to replace the Nikon 85 f/1.4 I have for my D800. It is a manual focus lens but I am good shooting with one especially with the focus peaking on the E-M1.

David

Or maybe the Nocticron 42.5 F1.2?

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Leica_DG_Nocticron_42-5mm_f1-2_H-NS043E/index.shtml

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some great photos using the EM-1 by a Pulitzer-Prize winner and National Geographic Photographer, Jay. Wow!

Firstlight Workshop

hopefully the 40-150mm F2.8 coming this year from Olympus will do the job.

That is what I'm looking for also and been monitoring the Mu-43 site and the 43rumors.com site but nothing yet.

Latest estimate is 2nd half of this year. This is the only preview I have seen so far:

What I am looking at for doing portrait shooting is the Voigtlander 42.5 f/0.95

I had been toying with the idea of that one also but currently I have the M.Zuiko Digital 45mm f/1.8 which does a decent job. So my next lens I'm looking at the Olympus M.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 macro to fit that empty macro slot. Reviews and test photos are excellent and avcamera has it at 19,900 Baht which is pretty cheap.

Some great photos using the EM-1 by a Pulitzer-Prize winner and National Geographic Photographer, Jay. Wow!

Firstlight Workshop

That is what I'm looking for also and been monitoring the Mu-43 site and the 43rumors.com site but nothing yet.

The folks at Photo Bug seem to think it will be in February.

David

Firstlight Workshop

Latest estimate is 2nd half of this year. This is the only preview I have seen so far:

For a 300 mm equivalent 2.8 constant aperture lens, it looks pretty compact. I'm wondering if it extends like the 12-40 and, if so, how much. I also like what appears to be a tripod mount on it. It is is one, I do hope that it is removable though.

As for a possible wide angle, I would love to see one comparable to the 7-14 Panasonic with a constant aperture of 4. With good performance and the weather sealing, it would be a great landscape lens.

David

What I am looking at for doing portrait shooting is the Voigtlander 42.5 f/0.95

I had been toying with the idea of that one also but currently I have the M.Zuiko Digital 45mm f/1.8 which does a decent job. So my next lens I'm looking at the Olympus M.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 macro to fit that empty macro slot. Reviews and test photos are excellent and avcamera has it at 19,900 Baht which is pretty cheap.

My review at: http://www.pattayadays.com/2013/12/olympus-60mm-f2-8-macro-review/

Firstlight Workshop

David

It was scheduled for the first half of the year; but was then slipped to the second half: http://www.dailycameranews.com/2013/11/olympus-40-150mm-f2-8-pro-lens-coming-2014/

Firstlight Workshop

David

It was scheduled for the first half of the year; but was then slipped to the second half: http://www.dailycameranews.com/2013/11/olympus-40-150mm-f2-8-pro-lens-coming-2014/

Well if it takes a little longer to get a lens with the quality of the 12-40 I'm willing to wait.

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Just a sample image from the E-M1 with the 12-40 f/2.8. Was shooting handheld, 26 mm, 1/20 sec., f/2.8, ISO 800. No post processing. Just imported it into Lightroom 5.3 and exported as a jpg.

To get an idea of the sharpness and great noise control the camera has, take a look at the bowl to the woman's left.

I really love this camera.

David

post-107798-0-06506300-1391788588_thumb.

How about E-M5? It was 30.000B at Powerbuy. I almost bought it.

It's good, but (for me) it doesn't operate as smoothly as the E-M1; just a bit too fiddly. Check around for prices though, Powerbuy are usually behind the curve when it comes to camera prices.

I weakened. Found a K-3 for well under a grand and it arrives Saturday. sad.png

On the upside I can operate the thing with my Galaxy Note 3, LiveView and full control via a FLUcard. smile.png

It's good, but (for me) it doesn't operate as smoothly as the E-M1; just a bit too fiddly. Check around for prices though, Powerbuy are usually behind the curve when it comes to camera prices.

On the upside I can operate the thing with my Galaxy Note 3, LiveView and full control via a FLUcard. smile.png

Yes, a shame you can't do that with the EM-1. Well, you can, but you don't need to use a FLUcard which of course spoils all the fun.

Yes, a shame you can't do that with the EM-1. Well, you can, but you don't need to use a FLUcard which of course spoils all the fun.

Has it got WiFi?

Can't understand why Pentax can't stick WiFi and GPS in the camera body. My telephones have had this for the past five years!!!

Some excellent shots with the E-M1:

http://buchangrant.com/blog/?p=1979

Warning: Contains photos of beautiful women.

Great link. I really liked the next to the last image he shot handheld at 1/5 sec. The stabilization in this body is really amazing.

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Has it got WiFi?

I think FR is just having a bit of fun with you. The EM-1 has WiFi and full remote control and photo sharing built into it. Just installed and tested the Olympus software on my new 5.2" LG G2 HD phone and works a treat. Same with my 10" Asus tf700 tablet.

Has it got WiFi?

I think FR is just having a bit of fun with you. The EM-1 has WiFi and full remote control and photo sharing built into it. Just installed and tested the Olympus software on my new 5.2" LG G2 HD phone and works a treat. Same with my 10" Asus tf700 tablet.

So are my suppliers it seems. Had an email this evening thanking me for paying an extortionate sum of money for this FLUcard affair but sadly Pentax have told them it's not available until the end of this month and they'll let me know when they've posted it. blink.png

Here are a bunch of photos taken by the EM-1 on Flickr you can browse through. Tells me I have a great camera. Also tells me I have to do better work. biggrin.pngFlickr EM-1

That thing smokes anything Pentax offers. K-3 still a no show, Wednesday now. Flucard delayed until May possibly longer. I do however have the grip already, that got delivered. But it doesn't take photos. You need the other bit see.

I've done a wroungun' again.

I should have dumped the lot.

Here are a bunch of photos taken by the EM-1 on Flickr you can browse through. Tells me I have a great camera. Also tells me I have to do better work. biggrin.pngFlickr EM-1

That thing smokes anything Pentax offers. K-3 still a no show, Wednesday now. Flucard delayed until May possibly longer. I do however have the grip already, that got delivered. But it doesn't take photos. You need the other bit see.

I suspect you will find you didn't once you work with it as here are some K-3 groups. Some very impressive work in there with the K-3

http://www.flickr.com/groups/pentaxk3/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/k-3_fan_club/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/2421710@N22/

I suspect you will find you didn't once you work with it as here are some K-3 groups. Some very impressive work in there with the K-3

http://www.flickr.com/groups/pentaxk3/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/k-3_fan_club/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/2421710@N22/

The thing needs to arrive first.

I do have the best Pentax Limited's to stick on the front, the FA's. A saving grace. The 77mm Limited is stunning. I'm even getting good work out of the 31mm Limited these days.

Going to be enough spendy on camera gear for a long time. I'm back at work and it's worse than ever. It's the people. They're mental. They want me to break out a 19m wide culvert over a river and dig the sides back to a river bank in what's likely very contaminated muck . . . without diverting the river first! Even though there's a ready made channel available to do it round the site.

But then if anything gets in the river it'll be my fault!

Might be looking for another job by the end of the week.

The thing needs to arrive first.

I realized after I posted it was the delivery that has you going, not the camera. smile.png

No it'll be a noisy bloody thing. Noise is brutal by ISO800. Less dynamic range than my K-5 IIs as well.

It's too easy to hit 'Add to Basket'.

Perhaps you need to start a separate "I bought a Pentax K3 on-line when not entirely sober" thread?

Nope, sober, don't drink.

But. Somehow I persuaded myself . . . yet again . . . this would be a good idea to tread the same well worn Pentax path . . . as I have so many of their lenses . . .

Albert Einstein's definition of madness.

homer-simpson-doh.jpg

Even a Nikon D610 wasn't that much more.

Perhaps you need to start a separate "I bought a Pentax K3 on-line when not entirely sober" thread?

Nope, sober, don't drink.

But. Somehow I persuaded myself . . . yet again . . . this would be a good idea to tread the same well worn Pentax path . . . as I have so many of their lenses . . .

Albert Einstein's definition of madness.

homer-simpson-doh.jpg

Even a Nikon D610 wasn't that much more.

MJP,

How in the world did photographers ever create any worthwhile photos before the D800 or the Om-D E-M1 came on the scene? The answer is, they were PHOTOGRAPHERS! They used what they had and focused on making good images. The Pentax K-3 is a very good camera with some good reviews. What is it that you can not do with the K-3 that you can do with a Nikon or an Oly? You can wifi your images?!?!?! That will not make you better at your craft. You are right in that you have a significant investment in glass for the Pentax so the wisest decision is to avail yourself of that glass. If one tries to stay ahead of the tech curve in photography then you will either go broke or spend so much time in analysis that there will be no time for what is most important - taking photos! So please, enjoy your Pentax and show us more of your fine images.

Archived