Credit Cards In Thailand

Often I need a credit card to buy stuff on the internet. I can't seem to find a Bank in Thailand that will issue even a debit card, that will work for internet purchases. The last 2 I had from Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn, I had to call the bank and fax them the details of the transaction I wished to make on the internet...and even then it didn't always work. Kind of defeats the purpose if ya gotta through all that hassle. Anyone know of Bank in Thailand that issues a usable debit card?????? If this keeps up I will trade in my car for a buffalo.

• Like 1

My Bangkok Bank Be-1st debit card works fine for web purchases (OK the ones I've used) and I got Paypal linked to the bank account.

Obviously my pukka B.Bank credit card works too.

Some on-line retailers don't accept any debit cards mind :(

Yea, I use to have my Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card as a PayPal source of payment...worked fine for the one Ebay purchase I did just to do a complete test. When I got the card replaced because the card got damaged, I never did link it back to PayPal since the new card had a new number.

Very difficult for a foreigner to get any Thai credit card. Better to try to get one in Singapore or Hong Kong. My BB Be1st debit card works OK on internet, most of the time. I have never been able to link PayPal to Be1st. One of the prices you pay to live in paradise.

• Like 1

Never had an issue with either bk bank or Kasikorn, Kk has a virtual card you switch on and off online through internet banking and the chipped b1st works just aswell.

Seems like you just need to know how to use them, have the right tool for the right job so to speak.

As for credit card, the banks will give one if you deposit the amount of the card with them as security, which kind if defeats the idea.

Very difficult for a foreigner to get any Thai credit card. Better to try to get one in Singapore or Hong Kong. My BB Be1st debit card works OK on internet, most of the time. I have never been able to link PayPal to Be1st. One of the prices you pay to live in paradise.

Nothing difficult. At least couple of banks accept deposits as proof of warranty and will issue credit card. Krungsri do this just with deposit and NON visa (any type). BBL bank ask deposit, NON-visa and Home registration (Yellow Book).

Things are different for WP holders. Depends on bank, but 6 month salary receipts will be enough to obtain CC without deposit.

About deposit - this is warranty for bank, not a money you use. Actually you will use bank money, so all things like grace period and interests are in place.

I use both Krungsri and BBL CC-cards, and found them good.

>As for credit card, the banks will give one if you deposit the amount of the card with them as security, which kind if defeats the idea.

It not defeats idea for anyone who not able to show a proof of local income, which is a WP+salary slips/account statements.

It makes EASY to foreigner, who not able to provide a proof of income in the Kingdom, to obtain local CC for convenience. And, for points card holder can have a gifts from bank, not so much if cardholder not spend a hundreds of thousands baht every month, but MK/KFC/BigC etc. vouchers I had almost every month in exchange to earned points.

Seems to be a misunderstanding by some here. No problem getting good working charge cards at BKK bank or K-bank, but those are debit cards. Real credit cards are more difficult. K-bank also has a virtual debit card that they label a "merchant card". In actual usage it is a Visa card but you only get the number and the expire date, no plastic.

Getting a "secured" Thai credit card is pretty easy...just make a locked (secured) deposit of say 100,000 baht (could be more or less) and you get a credit card with approx. the same line of credit as the locked deposit. You are basically using your own money....and won't be able to access the secured deposit again until the cancel the credit card and pay off any balance.

Now, getting a "unsecured" credit card requires a work permit and adequate income from the job X-length of months...now you will see posts where people got an unsecured credit card without a work permit but they are the exception....mostly you see posts of people who tried to get a unsecured credit card but were turned away since they didn't have a work permit.

• Like 1

You can get a second card attached to an existing account, obviously with the account holders permission.

My cards are attached to my wifes accounts but have my name on them. ( Have had a Visa one with BBL for many years.)

I tried there in Singapore with no success. Which of the banks there in Hong kong and Singapore is farang friendly

@ Pib - 100% correct.

After I received my Credit Card and used is for several years, no questions are asked anymore. Not even a salary is neccesary anymore - very strange - but that is what I found out.

Not received any salary on my UOB account for 5 years BUT still have my credit card and can use it without any problems, just make sure you pay your cc and that's is.

I tried there in Singapore with no success. Which of the banks there in Hong kong and Singapore is farang friendly

It is not easy getting a CC application approved in HK without residency status and without a history of banking with the said branch.

BS, I've had 2 at the same time both unsecured. First one they gave me a Platinum one, told the missus I wanted one with a low limit as well for online purchases.

Went to a second bank and applied, specifically told the guy I didn't want a Platinum one and only a 30K limit max, they still gave me one with a 300K limit. Got rid of it in the end as it defeated the purpose.

Got a job, work permit and good credit history, not difficult at all.

Never had an issue with either bk bank or Kasikorn, Kk has a virtual card you switch on and off online through internet banking and the chipped b1st works just aswell.

Seems like you just need to know how to use them, have the right tool for the right job so to speak.

As for credit card, the banks will give one if you deposit the amount of the card with them as security, which kind if defeats the idea.

No Charlie, I have an account with Kasikorn, I offered to accept 50.000 Baht credit limit and keep the same in my bank account, and also clear off any credit every month. I only wanted a credit card so I could buy online. They told me I needed to have a work permit.

Getting a "secured" Thai credit card is pretty easy...just make a locked (secured) deposit of say 100,000 baht (could be more or less) and you get a credit card with approx. the same line of credit as the locked deposit. You are basically using your own money....and won't be able to access the secured deposit again until the cancel the credit card and pay off any balance.

Now, getting a "unsecured" credit card requires a work permit and adequate income from the job X-length of months...now you will see posts where people got an unsecured credit card without a work permit but they are the exception....mostly you see posts of people who tried to get a unsecured credit card but were turned away since they didn't have a work permit.

No Pib, same answer as to Charlie. I could not get a secured credit card under the conditions you mentioned. Must have work permit.

No Pib, same answer as to Charlie. I could not get a secured credit card under the conditions you mentioned. Must have work permit.

Gosh, you must have something written on your forehead that is making them mad. wink.png Plenty of posts on ThaiVisa where people got a secured card with a locked deposit...such a deposit takes all the risk off the bank in case you don't pay your bill/skip the country. Heck, to this day the wife and I still get offered Thai credit cards "as long as we make that locked deposit"...we now say Thanks but no Thanks since we have a couple of no foreign transaction fee U.S. debit cards that even pay cash rewards. Try another bank/branch...and wash your forehead real good before applying. wink.png I know it must be frustrating. Good luck.

• Like 1

For those who use the Thai credit card on the net (I assume internationally), are you getting charged international fees for these purchases?

Thanks for any responses to that. I have a k-bank card and the referred to Be first BBK bank debit card, and wondered if they will incur fees for foreign purchase.

BTW, if I wanted to get a credit card and wasn't working here, I'd try Kbank, they seem to be the best about this kind of thing. A while back, I had a job, a work permit and even an affiliation with my work to bangkok bank, and they wanted me to secure the card, meaning give them the amount of "credit" they would give to me. That was quite a laugh.

For those who use the Thai credit card on the net (I assume internationally), are you getting charged international fees for these purchases?

Thanks for any responses to that. I have a k-bank card and the referred to Be first BBK bank debit card, and wondered if they will incur fees for foreign purchase.

BTW, if I wanted to get a credit card and wasn't working here, I'd try Kbank, they seem to be the best about this kind of thing. A while back, I had a job, a work permit and even an affiliation with my work to bangkok bank, and they wanted me to secure the card, meaning give them the amount of "credit" they would give to me. That was quite a laugh.

The one time I used my Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card linked via PayPal to pay for an Ebay buy, I was charged a foreign transaction fee.

• Like 1

Gosh, you must have something written on your forehead that is making them mad. wink.png Plenty of posts on ThaiVisa where people got a secured card with a locked deposit...such a deposit takes all the risk off the bank in case you don't pay your bill/skip the country. Heck, to this day the wife and I still get offered Thai credit cards "as long as we make that locked deposit"...we now say Thanks but no Thanks since we have a couple of no foreign transaction fee U.S. debit cards that even pay cash rewards. Try another bank/branch...and wash your forehead real good before applying. wink.png I know it must be frustrating. Good luck.

Thanks mate, I did have a thread about how to dress when to go to see the bank manager about opening an account although it was not meant to be taken seriously. But I suppose I can be described as an ageing hippy as I am an ex professional musician with long hair. I don't suppose that impresses bank managers.

Again, a few posters did say that the bank is only interested in your money, not your appearance.

Thais do place a lot on appearance...much more than western societies. Normally I run around in shorts and old shirts, but when I'm doing my yearly retirement extension of stay, visiting a govt office, opening a new bank account, etc., I'll dress with long pants, nice shirt, etc. Heck I even take a shower the night before. Yeap, Thais place a lot on appearance....probably more so for farangs. Good luck in getting that secured credit card....hopefully trying another bank/branch will work out.

• Like 1